Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Publication order is a fine way to go with Sanderson.

:agreed: 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
publishing order is the right move

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I miss listening to my audiobook. After three years avoiding it, I finally got hit by Covid recently and I’ve been fighting for my life, sleeping roughly 16+ hours a day, and spending all other time laying on my couch staring in the void.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

I miss listening to my audiobook. After three years avoiding it, I finally got hit by Covid recently and I’ve been fighting for my life, sleeping roughly 16+ hours a day, and spending all other time laying on my couch staring in the void.

Oh no! :ohdear:

I wish you a speedy recovery! Covid sucks rear end, and not being able to do anything makes it that much worse.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Torrannor posted:

Oh no! :ohdear:

I wish you a speedy recovery! Covid sucks rear end, and not being able to do anything makes it that much worse.

Thanks.

It has been loving brutal. My wife had a friend in town recently and we can only assume she caught it while going on adventures with the friend and then passed it to me. I had one night where I slept 18 hours straight and had fevers hit 103.8.

The worst part, however, is the fatigue and headaches. For the last few days it is has been laying around on my couch, unable to even lift my head and sit up. But also with a headache and fatigue so bad that I couldn't possibly watch anything. Tonight I was able to muster up enough energy to watch a movie (Twister), but the I immediately felt the need to sleep after. A brief task like taking my dog out to potty is likely to force me immobile for 5 hours.

I wouldn't wish this upon anyone.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Mordiceius posted:

Thanks.

It has been loving brutal. My wife had a friend in town recently and we can only assume she caught it while going on adventures with the friend and then passed it to me. I had one night where I slept 18 hours straight and had fevers hit 103.8.

The worst part, however, is the fatigue and headaches. For the last few days it is has been laying around on my couch, unable to even lift my head and sit up. But also with a headache and fatigue so bad that I couldn't possibly watch anything. Tonight I was able to muster up enough energy to watch a movie (Twister), but the I immediately felt the need to sleep after. A brief task like taking my dog out to potty is likely to force me immobile for 5 hours.

I wouldn't wish this upon anyone.
Goddamn, that’s brutal. I got a lovely cold for a week and then couldn’t taste anything for another week.

Rest up, stay relaxed, remember that it’s not 2020 anymore. We know what the fucker does and how to fight it. You’re gonna win.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Mordiceius posted:

drat dude, hope you get over it soon. That sounds awful.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That’s how it hit me in early 2022.

I missed two weeks of work entirely and was mostly useless for two more.

Walking to the bathroom was a grueling ordeal and I’d sleep for an hour or two from even that much effort.

Get well soon, and be sure to call your doctor. There are treatments easily accessible now that weren’t available then.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Just while we're on the topic, I'm cross-posting known info from the covid thread:

Paxlovid, a combination anti-viral medication, is the only treatment that has a worthwhile success rate in treating covid at this point. You need to get it within five days of testing positive or (ideally) symptoms starting. Most doctors, if they will prescribe it to you, will only give you a five-day prescription, which is insufficient time for your body to clear the virus. Check the covid cspam thread for advice on how to get a second five-day course to bring you up to ten days (aka the Fauci Special, because that's what he and every other rich/powerful person gets, because that's the length it was tested at).

The new variant that is going around, EG.5, does not have fever in it's top ten symptoms. A mild sore throat is the most common symptom, anecdotally, which blooms into a broken-glass throat within a few days. If you're feeling a tickle, get a test, and make sure to swab your throat, especially if you're using a rapid test. You really want to catch this early so you can get the Paxlovid when it will make a difference.

Paxlovid is currently free in the US. It is NOT restricted to people who are "high-risk" so don't let your doctor tell you it is. Furthermore, do not let them convince you that "mild" symptoms don't deserve Paxlovid. The purpose of the medicine is to prevent severe illness - by the time you're very ill, it's too late for Pax. There is also developing research that taking Pax will help reduce your chance of getting long covid (which is a result of organ damage from the initial infection, and is not strongly correlated with severity of initial illness). The base chance of long covid is currently estimated at 10-20% per infection.

Pax will make your mouth taste like poo poo. Jolly Ranchers and other hard candy will help. Certain medications will prevent you from taking Pax. In those cases there are a couple of other (unfortunately inferior) treatments.

Mord, since you're probably past the point of Pax being useful, the best thing you can do is get as much rest as possible for as long as possible. Treat it like an injury - because that's what it is. Covid damages the lining of your blood vessels and creates microclots, which reduces or cuts off blood supply all over your body. You must give your body time to fight off the infection, and then heal the damage.

Good luck out there to all. While Paxlovid is effective, it's not perfect. The best way to protect yourself is to avoid as many infections as possible. Vaccine protection begins to wane as early as 3 months after administration, so get regular boosters. Wear a fit-tested N95 (such as a 3M V-flex or Aura) or better anytime you're indoors, even with people you love and trust (except the ones you live with, that's too extreme for most ppl). Covid is airborne, it is the most contagious disease of our lifetimes, it can spread before the carrier feels any symptoms, and no one else is going to protect you from it.

CK07 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Aug 16, 2023

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Just wanna say thanks for that post. In the hell world we're in it's really nice to see people trying to help and not downplay big issues just because they suck to think about.

Feel better Mordeceius and rest up!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Man, folks weren't kidding about book 2 of Mistborn being pretty bleh.

Mr. Lawful/Lawful Elend is super dull and uninteresting. I guess the keeper who's here to teach him to have an actual backbone might do something, but so far he's not really driven anything in the 20% of the book I've slogged through so far.

Vin is just going through guarding rounds in the mist each evening, over and over. She's not driving anything in the story at all either.

Everyone is wondering where the hell the Atium supply of the Lord Ruler is, but it seems like, super obvious to me? Last book they established that he could burn metals to fuel his Fraulmancy abilities, and what metal given time powers? Atium (and it's counterpart). So what was he burning these 1000 years, and why did he need the huge supply? Of course, it was to burn it to keep himself young. This should be obvious to the crew but none of them have even considered it?

Overall the 20% I've gotten through has been frustrating and slow. I'm gonna take a break from this for a bit to read another book.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Nitrousoxide posted:

Mr. Lawful/Lawful Elend is super dull and uninteresting. I guess the keeper who's here to teach him to have an actual backbone might do something, but so far he's not really driven anything in the 20% of the book I've slogged through so far.

Vin is just going through guarding rounds in the mist each evening, over and over. She's not driving anything in the story at all either.

Everyone is wondering where the hell the Atium supply of the Lord Ruler is, but it seems like, super obvious to me? Last book they established that he could burn metals to fuel his Fraulmancy abilities, and what metal given time powers? Atium (and it's counterpart). So what was he burning these 1000 years, and why did he need the huge supply? Of course, it was to burn it to keep himself young. This should be obvious to the crew but none of them have even considered it?

Overall the 20% I've gotten through has been frustrating and slow. I'm gonna take a break from this for a bit to read another book.

I recently listened to the first mistborn book again. After finishing it, I made it an hour or two into the second one before skipping to the end of part 4.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
HOLY poo poo OATHBRINGER. This book had me cremming in my pants from beginning to end. So hype to start the next one.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

That is the exact opposite of how you're supposed to tag spoilers

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm not going to lie to you, if you don't like the political plot you're right, it is pretty boring. I think somewhere around 60% is where it picks up, and the third book is much better than this one.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 18, 2023

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I feel like it also takes a really talented author to make a siege exciting.

“We’re in the town and doing nothing. And they’ve got us surrounded and are doing nothing.”

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I feel like it also takes a really talented author to make a siege exciting.

“We’re in the town and doing nothing. And they’ve got us surrounded and are doing nothing.”

joe abercrombie does it real good in first law

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Wangsucker 69 posted:

HOLY poo poo OATHBRINGER. This book had me cremming in my pants from beginning to end. So hype to start the next one.

OathBringer btw. Yeah some of my favorite Stormlight sequences are from that book Getting to see Jasnah go all out alone was worth the entire book

edit- yeah my bad forgot the book name was in the spoiler

socialsecurity fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 18, 2023

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Those are Oathbringer spoilers, so everyone else knows. You shouldn't have to mouse over the spoiler tags to find out what's being spoiled.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Mistborn Alloy of Law Prologue-Chapter 10
It's been three days and I'm over half done with this book, but there's so much I don't know.

So far I like Wax and Wayne, they seem like a generally fun combo. I like that Brandon is playing around with this Twinborn mechanic he's invented, but there's still a lot to flesh out in this and future books. I can't help but imagine Wayne as Owen Wilson though, not sure about Wax. I'm also trying to figure out if there's anything to the obvious wax and wane reference. Fridging Lessie sucked. Why Brandon?

Steris is extremely neurodivergant in a "I must control every minute of my day" kind of way, and it's an interesting plot device but will get boring if the ends up a main character. Marasi is hypercompetent in the few things she's done, I am real close to calling her a Mary Sue, but I think Brandon will subvert that with more than just the feelings of inadequacy that she has. I also suspected that she is an Allomancer/Feruchemist, even before it was revealed she was the daughter of Lord Harms (literal Dr. Evil-lite in terms of villain names here).

Sazed is now god, or Harmony. It seems like a few of the crew have their own religions. Kelsier and Sazed are obvious, but I feel like Sliverism is based around Marsh. The Ironeyes nickname stuck around, but I'm pretty sure Tan was talking about him when he said that he'd seen "Death". Speaking of Marsh, my main theory about the kidnappings was someone was trying to do some Hemalurgy. I kinda suspect that Miles had a mask on to hide the spikes through his eyes, which also explains how he recovered from a bullet to the head. I'm not sure exactly how the theory that the captives are basically breeding stock the same way Tindwyl was will pan out. That's a super long term plan, unless they can stick the pregnant women in speed bubbles for 9 months. Maybe duralumin? But they'd need a Mistborn, or "Inquisitor" with the ability to use duralumin and bendalloy. I'm not giving up on Hemalurgy.

I do generally think a Marsh worshiping death cult is behind this, maybe backed by House Tekiel. They might well have stolen from themselves, then (per the newspaper) build a new better train vault which totally won't also get broken into. At the very least they've shown themselves to be capable of underhanded tactics with the bendalloy smuggling. I also don't completely trust Lord Harms because of his name, or either of his daughters. I think Marasi is hiding some magic and Staris is the captain of not having fun.

Tillaume turning against Wax caught me off guard, but his involvement makes me think that Miles and whoever else is working with him is moving their foundry and potential Allomancy/Feruchemy farm out into the Roughs, and a lot of what happened was designed to lure Wax back to the city to give them some breathing room out there.

Even with the Fridging and Marasi being an expert at so much, the worst part of this book so far has been the fact that people can be of Koloss blood. Why the gently caress did Brandon need to put that into my brain? Who is loving a Koloss? And why? I hate it. However, given that Koloss are still around I wonder if Sazed did anything to bring the Kandra back. They were his people afterall. It's been over 300 years (per the newspaper, and back of the book), is the Atium back? I have a very long shot and long term theory that "The Lost Metal" may be about Atium if I don't see it sooner.

Progress so far:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

:allears:

The Wax & Wayne books are absolute treats. I think the first one can be a little weak (and I found Wayne a little too grating in it) but gosh darn the books are fun. The second Wax & Wayne book is drat near the top of my favorite Sanderson books overall.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
The fun bit about the Mistborn 2 books is that they get to explore what happens when things have gone through a huge change. Some of the words my be the same but they don't mean the same thing. It's a fun run and it's neat that Brandon seems to have plotted out so much in advance of what was supposed to be a one off book. Things are always explained in time.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I always pictured Wax as Timothy Omundson, and never really had a mental picture of Wayne.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
As always everything Sanderson does is with clockwork foresight. Can't wait to keep reading your reactions.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I know Wax is supposed to be tall dark and brooding, but my mental images for Wax & Wayne are David Spade and Chris Farley in Tommyboy.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I typed that up then immediately started reading again only to have like half my theories immediately shot down :negative:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Owen Wilson is how I pictured Wayne too.

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

pik_d posted:

I typed that up then immediately started reading again only to have like half my theories immediately shot down :negative:

That's the great (for us) thing about the shorter books. :D

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

pik_d posted:

Even with the Fridging and Marasi being an expert at so much, the worst part of this book so far has been the fact that people can be of Koloss blood. Why the gently caress did Brandon need to put that into my brain? Who is loving a Koloss? And why? I hate it. However, given that Koloss are still around I wonder if Sazed did anything to bring the Kandra back. They were his people afterall. It's been over 300 years (per the newspaper, and back of the book), is the Atium back? I have a very long shot and long term theory that "The Lost Metal" may be about Atium if I don't see it sooner.
Alloy of Law not-really spoilers: the Koloss, just like everyone else, are not what they used to be. Also, the Terris are Sazed's people, not the Kandra. So you've already seen that yes, Sazed has done a great deal to bring back the Terris. The Kandra are the boneless shapeshifters. Although I suppose they are "his people" now, since they serve him as their god, but I still think you meant the Terris.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

Alloy of Law not-really spoilers: the Koloss, just like everyone else, are not what they used to be. Also, the Terris are Sazed's people, not the Kandra. So you've already seen that yes, Sazed has done a great deal to bring back the Terris. The Kandra are the boneless shapeshifters. Although I suppose they are "his people" now, since they serve him as their god, but I still think you meant the Terris.

The Kandra were originally Terris as well, the first gen at least.

socialsecurity fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Aug 19, 2023

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

socialsecurity posted:

The Kandra were originally Terris as well, the first gen at least.

Please fix your spoilers.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
That's a Hero of Ages spoiler IIRC?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

That's a Hero of Ages spoiler IIRC?

I didn't have the brackets right, it was my bad.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I always kinda had Wax/Wayne as just Timothy Olyphant/John Hawkes, straight out of Deadwood.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Wax to me will always be Josh Hartnett but his look from Penny Dreadful specifically. Wayne I just ignore because he's terrible but I could see a young Martin Freeman.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
wayne looks like harrier du bois

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Prediction regarding future Stormlight books: They're going to free Ba-Ado-Mishram and it's going to cause the lighteyes to lose their eye color.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I always pictured Wayne as the actor who played Badger in Firefly but goofier and Wax as maybe Hugh Jackman with long hair though I’m also thinking of a specific actor and can’t place them right now. The covers make him look like a hunk from a cheap romance novel.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

eszett engma posted:

Prediction regarding future Stormlight books: They're going to free Ba-Ado-Mishram and it's going to cause the lighteyes to lose their eye color.

Not sure why you think that. Regarding lighteyes/darkeyes in Stormlight: The eye color class stratification is a holdover because Knights Radiant have light eyes while they're holding stormlight. It's more likely that people realize that and the class distinction becomes meaningless and causes some societal upheaval similar to elimination of caste systems in earth cultures.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Re: above conversation full SL/cosmere spoilers

BAM being imprisoned hosed up Connection and Identity for the Parshendi and is probably the reason why deadeyes happened post recreance so I'd expect it to have effects on one or both of those issues more than anything else. I'm still convinced the Unmade were "unmade" by Odium like how they tried to do to the sibling in RoW, and before that were the Roshar native spren of bigger Cosmere-wide concepts like Connection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eszett engma
May 7, 2013

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Not sure why you think that. Regarding lighteyes/darkeyes in Stormlight: The eye color class stratification is a holdover because Knights Radiant have light eyes while they're holding stormlight. It's more likely that people realize that and the class distinction becomes meaningless and causes some societal upheaval similar to elimination of caste systems in earth cultures.

I think that, while there may be some lighteyes who just naturally have lighter eye colors, for most it comes from the ancient Radiants developing pale eyes from their bonds, and then because of whatever broader effects imprisoning BAM had on Roshar, that trait persisted after they broke their oaths and was inherited by their descendants, just like how the singers connected to her lost their ability to take forms, which was also inherited by their children who never had such a connection.

The Radiants lived in the kingdom of Alethela. I figure that after the Recreance they went home and lived the rest of their lives. The Radiants were in charge there before they broke their oaths and the orders were dissolved, and afterwards the same people for the most part continued to be in charge.