Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

BonHair posted:

Looking forward to the harp daughter getting into hardcore punk on harp. I bet it would also be oddly suitable for black metal.

I'll donate a piezo pickup and a RAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The "Dusty Harp Pickup" ranges from $300-400 and looks like a cool use of piezo transducers.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The "Dusty Harp Pickup" ranges from $300-400 and looks like a cool use of piezo transducers.

The worst bowling alley I've ever seen.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I am a child at heart.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I am a child at heart.

Best way to be. So have you posted your sax? I want to see the mouthpiece.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I am a child at heart.
Whoahohoho!
:toot:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

petit choux posted:

Best way to be. So have you posted your sax? I want to see the mouthpiece.

Maybe? but here's more gore plus some gore of me playing the thing

The mouthpiece is definitely nothing special and I believe I will be replacing that fairly soon, well before I am thinking about... tenors... in any more detail. But lots of work to do in the meantime.

I've been playing 20-30 mins 4-5 days a week since I got it.

https://i.imgur.com/YKn72wG.mp4 (sound, tempo picks up a lot ~10 sec in)

edit: I sort of want to work up to blowing #3 reeds again before upgrading the mouthpiece. I am on 2.5s now, up from 2s when I started.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

Whoahohoho!
:toot:

Imagine my disappointment at finding out the Behringer PP1 isn't actually out yet and won't be until Q1 '24, haha.

Disting EX can do the pitch to cv, but PP1 looks like it's everything I'd want... in basically an entirely new module... from BEHRINGER :vince:

I want the pitch tracking so I can feed spectraphon a pitch line that in someway approximates the input audio. Or, maybe invert it and throw that at spectra, or do both at once, and such things.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Aug 13, 2023

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Maybe? but here's more gore plus some gore of me playing the thing

The mouthpiece is definitely nothing special and I believe I will be replacing that fairly soon, well before I am thinking about... tenors... in any more detail. But lots of work to do in the meantime.

I've been playing 20-30 mins 4-5 days a week since I got it.

https://i.imgur.com/YKn72wG.mp4 (sound, tempo picks up a lot ~10 sec in)

edit: I sort of want to work up to blowing #3 reeds again before upgrading the mouthpiece. I am on 2.5s now, up from 2s when I started.

I was under the impression you were going with an electric sax. You should def try one of those piezos I was pointing out earlier.

I wish I'd played sax now, of course.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

petit choux posted:

I was under the impression you were going with an electric sax. You should def try one of those piezos I was pointing out earlier.

I looked at them but I decided to start with the physical thing because it's cool and I played one middlingly for 8 years straight in another life.

A pickup mic is on the list; if the Behr PP1 module actually works as advertised to any significant degree that will be wild but it's vaporware for now :shrug: I haven't bought a disting yet and the rudimentary pitch tracking it provides isn't pushing me over the edge.

Technically I got another new thing, Tesseract Low Coast, has a decent FM tuner and costs marginally more than a fancy blank :laugh: ($35 shipped)

the first thing that happened when I hooked it up was tuning into "under the bridge" by Nirvana, through Spectraphon. Hilarious.

petit choux posted:

I wish I'd played sax now, of course.
I wish I'd been more diligent, not given it up in 1999, and also taken up french horn and trombone somewhere along the way. Ah well.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I used to play clarinet, but I respect my marriage too much to pick that up again

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I looked at them but I decided to start with the physical thing because it's cool and I played one middlingly for 8 years straight in another life.

A pickup mic is on the list; if the Behr PP1 module actually works as advertised to any significant degree that will be wild but it's vaporware for now :shrug: I haven't bought a disting yet and the rudimentary pitch tracking it provides isn't pushing me over the edge.

Same for me with the trumpet. I tried it with both the Boss SY-500 and with Origin's MIDIguitar VST, and have found the MIDIguitar to give very good tracking so far.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Armacham posted:

I used to play clarinet, but I respect my marriage too much to pick that up again

Haha, fundamental to the timing of this purchase is the fact that I work from home and my partner just started working full time away from the house, so I am spending most of my week in an otherwise empty house (well, two cats) on 11 acres. I've been taking my Katana outside and just absolutely wretchedly butchering chords, with enough detuning and delay that it sounds like I'm butchering the cats.

One of my neighbors who is maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of a mile away, said that she's heard me playing the horn but she likes it because it's so different than all the gasoline engines and gunfire that usually punctuate the landscape here. I told her that if it becomes insufferable, she ought to call me and tell me before reaching for a gun :rolleye:

petit choux posted:

Same for me with the trumpet. I tried it with both the Boss SY-500 and with Origin's MIDIguitar VST, and have found the MIDIguitar to give very good tracking so far.

I'll check that out. The behr PP1 appears to be exactly what I want at $99, all nicely in rack, but if I have to use a VST in the meantime, UGH FINE I OWN A COMPUTER GEEZ.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
mutable stuff now comfy in their forever-case. had to install the mutable 5 volts thingy but it seems to be working well. only like 1000 dollars of modules left to buy before this is done :)

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

My Bass was getting jealous so I got them a wash/fuzz

To the left you can catch the 8 million lumen of my mxr 10 band eq

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Armacham posted:

My Bass was getting jealous so I got them a wash/fuzz

To the left you can catch the 8 million lumen of my mxr 10 band eq

Try this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgzIpydmC9E

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Lol if it ever bothers me that much I'll just change the current limiting resistors. Should be about 15 minutes with a soldering iron.

Edit: or even better https://www.ebay.com/itm/122017191886

Armacham fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 16, 2023

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I’m normally a bass dude, but I’ve collected the bits I wanted for my rhythm guitar stuff I love to do at home. Stacking RATs has never been a thing I knew about until The Dirty Nil shared what he does.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

You have the best toys Sockington.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Sockington posted:

I’m normally a bass dude, but I’ve collected the bits I wanted for my rhythm guitar stuff I love to do at home. Stacking RATs has never been a thing I knew about until The Dirty Nil shared what he does.

Those regular Rat settings are pretty close to mine, so good call! Unfortunately, I have a Turbo Rat instead of the Fat Rat, so I don't know what's going on there. Demo channels always overdo it on the gain because "DID YOU KNOW IT CAN GET FUZZY WHEN YOU CRANK THE DISTORTION???"

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Now it might be a shock, but I bought another Hondo

H-76, which replaced the H-7600 and the Fame Series 760. There were also H-75(single HB) and H-77(HSS) versions in red and pearl white. These were supposedly not made by Samick, and while it weighs way more than my Samick Hondos and has a rosewood fretboard, the neck is otherwise identical. Also, Samicks were Korean, and these were made in Indonesia or Taiwan.

And for more pointless trivia on Hondo, Ad-Rock from the Beastie Boys played Hondos almost exclusively, with a black H-77 being used on a bunch of live performances of Sabotage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WvgGdivQzE&t=35s

I now have six, black, Hondo Strats, and they're all distinct different models.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
So cheating a little as I bought this Fender AVRI Jazzmaster back in 2010 off a guy on ebay but a few weeks ago I replaced the neck and it's like a brand new guitar. I hadn't played at all since the pandemic started and not much for a few years before then but I finally dug all of my gear out of my parents attic and took my main electrics to get serviced. I can't recall for sure but I think this guitar had some neck issues going back to when I bought it and living in an attic for years did it no favors. My tech told me that at this point a simple adjustment wouldn't be enough and I bit the bullet and had him replace the neck. I'm so glad I did, this thing plays so fast and smooth now it's unreal.

Oh also I bought a Nux Mighty Plug Pro that you can see on the couch cushion and it's been a ton of fun messing with it.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
I've been fascinated by violins for ages, but never really thought to try one.

So, I printed one (https://www.printables.com/model/464655-modular-fiddle-4-string-violin-v4)

I'm pretty amazed by the sound that comes out it. But I'm completely clueless about how to play it or even start that process. I can sound out melodies and find where the notes are on the fretboard, so that's a little bit of a start. Last night I watched one of those videos where a person tracks their playing from day 0 to 2+ years later and it motivated the hell out of me.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ohvee posted:

So, I printed one (https://www.printables.com/model/464655-modular-fiddle-4-string-violin-v4)

I'm pretty amazed by the sound that comes out it. But I'm completely clueless about how to play it or even start that process. I can sound out melodies and find where the notes are on the fretboard, so that's a little bit of a start. Last night I watched one of those videos where a person tracks their playing from day 0 to 2+ years later and it motivated the hell out of me.
That's really cool.
You wouldn't download a carviolin, and painstakingly recreate a track from scratch, would you?
Piracy is a crime. A very cool crime, that makes you attractive to those you desire.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ohvee posted:

That's extremely cool. You should print electric pickups and try running it into an amplifier sometime.

Not extremely related but a lot of the plastic that people print things from, it doesn't have a real long lifespan, does it?

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

petit choux posted:

Not extremely related but a lot of the plastic that people print things from, it doesn't have a real long lifespan, does it?
The main body, bridge, saddle and head stock were all printed in a carbon fiber reinforced material. So, I imagine those parts will last a while. But the idea of this violin is that it's modular and individual parts are fairly trivial to replace.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Browsing my normal stops for used guitars, came across this, then had to anxiously wait a week before I had the cash.

Came with it's original case, which is really nice.

Electra 2238WC Rock 'N' Soul. Originally would have been a standard humbucker in the neck and a Tele-style pickup in the bridge. This one was modded with some interesting pickups.

Wasn't 100% sure when I bought it, but those appear to be the real deal Fender WRHBs to me, although there is no date stamp on either. Both have the red S/5 on them.

Other things, has a three piece neck with a flamed center section and even a little flame on the fretboard.

Original pickguard modded to fit the WRHB, bridge is cut down and a pearloid mount created to hold the bridge pup. Done really well.

Now, the bad. Frets are Fretless Wonder style, whether it came this way or has been played down to that size. Still, no buzz, no grooves. Pots are junk, switch is questionable. Volume works, but not well and the knob falls off. Tone pot works in a very narrow section of the middle of the dial. Just going to snip it out of the circuit for now.

Threw on new strings, did a basic setup, dropped the action in half, and damned if it doesn't play really well. Also not as heavy as I feared, about 8 pounds. Oh, and looking at Reverb, I paid less for the whole setup than I would have to pay for a single original WRHB. Of course, now I'm playing the game of keep/flip/part-out.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

widefault posted:

Browsing my normal stops for used guitars, came across this, then had to anxiously wait a week before I had the cash.

Came with it's original case, which is really nice.

Electra 2238WC Rock 'N' Soul. Originally would have been a standard humbucker in the neck and a Tele-style pickup in the bridge. This one was modded with some interesting pickups.

Wasn't 100% sure when I bought it, but those appear to be the real deal Fender WRHBs to me, although there is no date stamp on either. Both have the red S/5 on them.

Other things, has a three piece neck with a flamed center section and even a little flame on the fretboard.

Original pickguard modded to fit the WRHB, bridge is cut down and a pearloid mount created to hold the bridge pup. Done really well.

Now, the bad. Frets are Fretless Wonder style, whether it came this way or has been played down to that size. Still, no buzz, no grooves. Pots are junk, switch is questionable. Volume works, but not well and the knob falls off. Tone pot works in a very narrow section of the middle of the dial. Just going to snip it out of the circuit for now.

Threw on new strings, did a basic setup, dropped the action in half, and damned if it doesn't play really well. Also not as heavy as I feared, about 8 pounds. Oh, and looking at Reverb, I paid less for the whole setup than I would have to pay for a single original WRHB. Of course, now I'm playing the game of keep/flip/part-out.
Not gonna lie, that guitar is pretty sweet. The electronics are the weak point of my Electra guitar. Should’ve replaced the original guts years ago.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I’ve always wanted a Flying V and I bought one and it makes me glad. I don’t need another 24.75” two humbucker guitar but cmon Flying V.

Orville-made with Gibson America pickups of some kind (Gibson patent# pickups or replicas).

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I want a flying V just to play it sitting in classical position

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

sigh, *unzips*

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I’ve always wanted a Flying V and I bought one and it makes me glad. I don’t need another 24.75” two humbucker guitar but cmon Flying V.

Orville-made with Gibson America pickups of some kind (Gibson patent# pickups or replicas).

gently caress yeah.

Nice pool BTW.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Adding to the Harmony side of my collection, a Marquis by Harmony P-Bass copy. Made sometime in very late 70s or very early 80s by Samick. Had to replace the nut and still need to move the strap button back to the upper horn. Weighs almost 10.5 pounds. Also, that may be a DiMarzio P-Bass pickup since this is a rebadged version of the Hondo HD-850.

Insane figure on the fretboard

Only the best plywood for the body!

Brass bridge!

Color is what Samick calls Antique Burst, and like every single AB Samick I've ever seen, it has a little skidmark/tail of darker stain by the bottom strap button

Not joking, see my two AB LP-esque things

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Guitars with plumber’s crack

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Thread title

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Holy cow

How's that bass play? Looks sweet!

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

petit choux posted:

Holy cow

How's that bass play? Looks sweet!

Once I can get the nut to stay in place I'll find out. When I got it the nut was broken and hot glued in place. This is one of those headstocks where the low E is just out of place so the nut gets yanked sideways when tuned to pitch. So had to get all the goop off, then square everything up because it appears the real purpose of the hot glue was to fill giant gaps. Little blob of titebond, new nut, and it promptly popped loose when tuned to pitch. So more cleanup, roughed up all the surfaces, and more glue and we'll see if it holds.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

widefault posted:

Once I can get the nut to stay in place I'll find out. When I got it the nut was broken and hot glued in place. This is one of those headstocks where the low E is just out of place so the nut gets yanked sideways when tuned to pitch. So had to get all the goop off, then square everything up because it appears the real purpose of the hot glue was to fill giant gaps. Little blob of titebond, new nut, and it promptly popped loose when tuned to pitch. So more cleanup, roughed up all the surfaces, and more glue and we'll see if it holds.

Yeah well it is v pretty. And heavy.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
built my shelf finally, the whole family is together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CatBlack posted:

built my shelf finally, the whole family is together

I'd like to hear what you can do with all this. And see it if possible.