Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you should buy a miata OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DildenAnders posted:

Proposed Budget: ~$10k
New or Used: Used (duh)
Body Style: Coupe, Sedan, Wagon
How will you be using the car?: Mostly as a fun weekend/summer car, not relied on for transportation by any means.
What aspects are most important to you? Must be RWD, manual and fun to drive, preferably with an I6. Reliability, or at least decent parts availability would be nice too. Otherwise, I'd honestly prefer as few electronics and creature comforts as possible. I guess I'd want something with OBD-2 at the very least, otherwise age is not a huge factor.

I've been looking mostly at the 1st-gen IS300 and 128i. These cars are exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm definitely open to other suggestions. In my ZIP code (right outside NYC) the ones available for ~10k are ready for the junkyard. Does anyone have experience scouting out/buying cars across the country? Am I likely to get a better deal if I can travel to buy something? Are there any sort of non-scammy brokers available in this price range? Any good way to monitor the prices of these cars? I understand that anything in this price range is going to have a large amount of deferred maintenance, but I'm not opposed to that because it would not be my main vehicle for transportation and I would spread the cost out over time if it's feasible.
I've never even serviced my car at a dealership, so I'm not too familiar with that process. I'm picturing buying the car outright in cash, but please let me know if it would make more sense to finance (I would still want to pay it off in 2 years minimum, and avoid horrific interest rates).

If you're looking for something fairly specific you have to be ready to travel to buy.

You should be able to find an E90 or E92 328i in that price range. 128i's with the manual seem to command a little more of a premium from what I've seen. You can absolutely find e46's in that price range as well.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Counterpoint:
Any red flags here? https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...ickType=listing

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

When "Cold AC!" is the entirety of the description I'm going to guess that thing is a pit of deferred maintenance. Get it PPI'd, be ready to spend $4-6k on suspension, evap, oil and cooling system parts at FCP euro and a few weeks getting it put back together.

If you're not someone who would DIY this kind of thing expect a bill about the same or slightly higher than the asking price for the car and a multiple month wait at a mechanic.

They're very fun cars, but there's a reason they are this cheap now.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Miata are nice because you stomp the gas and go through a couple gears without getting speeding tickets. The first FRS/BRZ are a decade old now, I doubt you find one under 10k that hasnt been in major accident but its a fun car minus the annoying torque dip. I really liked mine.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

generally speaking: i had a 128 sport package with the manual and a miata is gonna be way more fun and cost effective. the 128 is a nice car but i did not find it super fun in a usable way. it's slightly too fast to be like a Miata or an Abarth or a toyobaru where you can just drive it hard all the time. you do that in a 128 you get in trouble because you are going too fast. but it's not fast enough to be actually fun fast. if you ditch the runflat tires the handling is pretty decent and the steering is pretty communicative but it's not super fun. the 3 series is nice because it's roughly the same amount of fun but more practical. the 1 removes that practicality without adding much fun.

they're not too hard to work on if you like to turn a wrench (with some exceptions) but again, it doesn't do anything that a miata won't do for you other than have an I6 (overrated imo, the motor is smooth and has a nice linear power delivery but is not Special in any way), have a cool badge to impress your friends, and be a hardtop.

that particular example, in addition to motronic's red flag around "COLD AC" is that the headliner is nasty looking, it's wearing mismatched tires. in its favor it is a non-iDrive car and it probably has the sport package since it has shadowline trim and of course it's a manual. but yeah for sure expect several thousand dollars in deferred maintenance. plus buying not poo poo tires.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

$10k could also get you a decent motorcycle, protective gear, and enough lessons that you probably don't immediately die.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Hey all. My wife wants a compact SUV, hybrid, with ventilated seats. We test drove a Rav4 and she liked it and also isn't too picky regarding anything else. She's not like me with weird hangups about shifter or touchscreens or anything. (yet).

So currently I'm cross shopping this, the Hyundai Tuscon, and the Kia Sportage. All three on the highest trim level. It's basically going to come down to availability and price in that order.

Am I missing anything here? They all seem pretty level otherwise with minor plusses and minuses. The Rav is the gold standard right now for us but has terrible availability.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

CX5/50? Bronco Sport?

edit: oh you said hybrid, nevermind

Ford Escape has a PHEV that got refreshed this year?
Honda CR-V is the only other one in this space.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 18, 2023

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

CR-V got refreshed for 2022 and looks pretty ownage. Id definitely throw that into consideration.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

StormDrain posted:

Hey all. My wife wants a compact SUV, hybrid, with ventilated seats. We test drove a Rav4 and she liked it and also isn't too picky regarding anything else. She's not like me with weird hangups about shifter or touchscreens or anything. (yet).

So currently I'm cross shopping this, the Hyundai Tuscon, and the Kia Sportage. All three on the highest trim level. It's basically going to come down to availability and price in that order.

Am I missing anything here? They all seem pretty level otherwise with minor plusses and minuses. The Rav is the gold standard right now for us but has terrible availability.

You'll notice when you drive it, but the Sportage Hybrid has Kias dual-clutch transmission, which is both not super smooth and feels when when downshifting during regen braking but also has a 20k / 2 year ish clutch actuator fluid replacement interval, which is work that only the dealer can do and they're not very good at it. They have to tell the cars computer to pump out the old fluid and then re-train on the new.

I hope things have gotten better as Kia has sold more hybrids, but early Niro owners ran into hell as not every dealer knows how to do it, and pricing on the job varies from $80-400 for those that will do it. Some dealers tell people just to ignore that part of the manufacturer specified maintenance, but the interval used to be longer and Kia reduced it in 2019, which tells me it's important.

My own experience has been that only the master tech at my dealer knows how to do it, and he's only there one day a week. It costs me about $110, most of which is labor plus the dealership's parts cost of $20 for 2oz of DOT3.

Anyway, the fluid is visibly and smellably cooked by 15k miles. You won't run into BS like this with a Honda or Toyota. We legitimately love our Niro other than this, though.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 18, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I would absolutely buy a CR-V if those were my criteria. I think the RAV4 is loving ugly and the interior sucks, plus you can't get one. I don't care for Hyundai group product, they drive worse and feel shittier IMO.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Come to think more about it now that I'm a few years removed from figuring out which of the 3 local dealers knew how to do this service, the Kia DCT transmission thing looks like it's going to be a huge reliability problem in a few years.

You've got a fluid change interval that the manufacturer thought was important enough to reduce from 3 years / 22k miles to 2 years / 15k miles, I just checked my owners manual and that's what it says. You've got dealers that don't know how to do that, don't want to do that, and no dealer does that as part of normal maintenance if you go to the dealer and say "service my car". You have to ask them for it specifically.

You've got anecdotally, a few transmissions exploding around 80-90k miles, as reported by sexist shitheads on reddit who say they never replaced the clutch actuator fluid once, or did any other maintenance which by that many miles should include transmission fluid and the hybrid starter/generator belt:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KiaNiro/comments/ytdy5g/kia_niro_this_car_is_driving_me_nuts/

quote:

Could it be that I need to change the engine actuator fluid? Does this even make a noise? Not too familiar with the hybrid tech.

It's gone to the dealership for all its services but all they ever seem to do is an oil change.

The third check engine light came on and the woman voice said powertrain control system. (Is it possible to change that to a male voice)

In 100,000 miles the only service this car has had is oil changes, one air filter, and I'm on my third set of tires.

I do think that I wouldn't buy one of these used. I don't want to dig through Kia Niro forums again but when it came due on our car and 2 of my 3 local Kia dealers wouldn't or couldn't do the work, I found their big survey that about 1/3 of dealers in the US don't know how to service the hybrid Kias.

Edit: Yeesh, googling around a bit more there's a LOT of Niros getting transmissions replaced under warranty. Apparently they still honor warranty even if you didn't service the car, though! 10 year / 100k powertrain warranty.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 18, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

drat and people complained about the DSG 40k mile interval

that did require some VW moonfluid though

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I would absolutely buy a CR-V if those were my criteria. I think the RAV4 is loving ugly and the interior sucks, plus you can't get one. I don't care for Hyundai group product, they drive worse and feel shittier IMO.

Sadly Honda CR-V does not have ventilated seats which was a top tier requirement. It was equal on my list. I liked the Rav interior though overall. I plan on testing the Hyundai today to confirm or deny it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mustache Ride posted:

CX5/50? Bronco Sport?

edit: oh you said hybrid, nevermind

Ford Escape has a PHEV that got refreshed this year?
Honda CR-V is the only other one in this space.

I drive a low tier 2022 escape right now and it feels so cheap I have a hard time reccomending it to her after she drove the Toyota. If nothing else is available I will give it another shot. I saw the pics of someone's escape on here and it looked a lot nicer, but I have the current anchor holding my opinion.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

the rav4 is probably fine it just looks dated, like its been on the same gen since like 2014, even though technically they upgraded it in 2018. that's kind of Toyotas thing though, they're good cars overall, you can't go wrong with one imo. (biased Toyota owner)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ethanol posted:

the rav4 is probably fine it just looks dated, like its been on the same gen since like 2014, even though technically they upgraded it in 2018. that's kind of Toyotas thing though, they're good cars overall, you can't go wrong with one imo. (biased Toyota owner)

This is how I am with Honda. I know zero people who have ever regretted buying a Honda

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
My 2018 Accord has had zero problems, ever. Not the first even hint of a bug, quirk, malfunction of any kind.

Until today. Went to start it, tons of ECU errors related to stability control and e-brake, and wouldn't start. Started worrying until I told my father about it to complain and he asked how old the battery was.

Original battery. Quick math. Trip to O'Relly's. Problem solved.

I wish Honda had more sporty options to buy because I'd stay a loyal purchaser again and again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

12V batteries are the worst. If you have random car trouble that's potentially electrical in nature, and the battery is even just a couple years old, replace it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

GD_American posted:

My 2018 Accord has had zero problems, ever. Not the first even hint of a bug, quirk, malfunction of any kind.

Until today. Went to start it, tons of ECU errors related to stability control and e-brake, and wouldn't start. Started worrying until I told my father about it to complain and he asked how old the battery was.

Original battery. Quick math. Trip to O'Relly's. Problem solved.

I wish Honda had more sporty options to buy because I'd stay a loyal purchaser again and again.

They get pretty sporty!

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Bring back the TSX wagon!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Twerk from Home posted:

You'll notice when you drive it, but the Sportage Hybrid has Kias dual-clutch transmission, which is both not super smooth and feels when when downshifting during regen braking but also has a 20k / 2 year ish clutch actuator fluid replacement interval, which is work that only the dealer can do and they're not very good at it. They have to tell the cars computer to pump out the old fluid and then re-train on the new.

I don't think that's right. It looks like the Niro does but the sportage does not have that. Sportage has a six speed auto, that's all they say, the Nero touts a six speed dual clutch auto.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Calidus posted:

Bring back the TSX wagon!

i thought we were talking about sporty cars :twisted:

UU TEE EFF
Apr 10, 2005
mate?
Looking for some car buying advice.

Proposed Budget: ~25,000 to 35,000 USD
New or Used: New
Body Style: Midsize/Fullsize Sedan
How will you be using the car?: Regular commuter
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?: Some Gizmos are fine but not required.
What aspects are most important to you? 1st, Cost of Ownership, 2nd, Electric

Options I am considering:
Electric - Tesla Model S. I am a little surprised to find myself considering a Tesla, but with the 7500 tax credit, a low end Model 3 is in budget and brings the 5 year cost of ownership close to a Toyota Camry. I live in a cold climate, Wisconsin, so I think a heat pump is pretty necessary. That is ruling out more affordable options for electric, like the Chevy Bolt which is also credit eligible, but has no heat pump. Might also consider a used Nissan Leaf with a cold package, but not sure how common those are. Also a little nervous buy a used electric, would be concerned the battery would need to be replaced after a few years.
Anyone have opinions on how required the heat pump is? My wife is from a warmer climate and does not tolerate cold very well. Blasting resistive heat on top of other cold losses I think I would lose a lot of range. Maybe it is not such a big deal, though. Or I should just give up on the BEV idea and go ICE or hybrid.

ICE/Hybrid - Other options I am looking at would be some form of Toyota (or another Honda, currently drive an Accord). Camry, Corolla, Prius, etc.

A big question for me is depreciation. Edmunds has super high 5 year depreciation on the Tesla, over $22,000. That does not seem possible given the used prices I am seeing online for 2018 models. They do seem to also use a higher price than the lowest end option for their calculations, as well, so that might be inflating the numbers little. Here is a cost of ownership table from Edmunds for a few options (I took out financing as I am not doing that and adjusted the insurance based on a quote i did with my current insurer):

Numbers are for 5 years.
code:
Edmunds					Toyota		Toyota		Honda		Tesla
					Camry LE	Prius LE	Accord LE	Model 3 RWD
Tax Credit				$0 		$0 		$0 		($7,500)
Insurance				$841 		$846 		$851 		$1,380 
Maintenance				$3,493 		$4,744 		$3,734 		$2,354 
Repairs					$732 		$732 		$868 		$2,434 
Taxes & Fees				$1,951 		$2,029 		$2,107 		$2,726 
Financing				N/A		N/A		N/A 		N/A
Depreciation				$10,048 	$9,575 		$10,879 	$22,673 
Fuel					$8,441 		$4,733 		$8,441 		$3,269 
5 Year True Cost to Own		$25,506 	$22,659 	$26,880 	$27,336
If there really is a ~$13,000 gap in depreciation from the Model 3 to Prius then it is not the choice for me, but if it is closer to and $8,000 difference, the Model 3 is a lot more appealing to me because it is electric.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Buy a Prius.

No really, buy a Prius, the new ones look fantastic, the drivetrain is solid, and you shouldn't buy cars based on how much they depreciate. Most cars depreciate 20% when you drive them off the lot, so it's a stupid number to calculate over 5 years when it's the first 5 minutes that get you.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

why are there two categories for maintenance and repair and why are they so arbitrarily high? my Toyota came with 3 years of free maintanece and repairs. am I suddenly expecting to drop $5200 in mystery items in the next 2 years?

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ethanol posted:

why are there two categories for maintenance and repair and why are they so arbitrarily high? my Toyota came with 3 years of free maintanece and repairs. am I suddenly expecting to drop $5200 in mystery items in the next 2 years?

I mean, the only new car I've owned has been a Honda Civic, and I basically did nothing but change the oil for the first four years, then there was a series of things over the next couple of years that I probably could've not done but paid for anyway because I want this car to last as long as possible. It added up. I think that's probably the calculation there. Presumably the extra maintenance costs on the hybrid are due to the battery, which are counterbalanced by the reduced fuel and depreciation. And presumably the repair and depreciation costs on the Tesla are because Tesla owners are more likely to be morons that wreck their cars. What else could that possibly mean? I don't have the insurance company data in front of me, while I'm sure Edmund's does. But a couple of thousand in repairs would be a light fender bender, and a huge unexplained depreciation would be that same fender bender on the expensive car's record, right?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
All of these numbers seem pulled out of a hat except the Tesla which is definitely going to depreciate instantly as an aspirant luxury car and require obnoxious maintenance because they are assembled with all of the skill of a highschool shop class.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

knox_harrington posted:

They get pretty sporty!

I literally expected this answer but with a picture of an S2000 or NSX.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

StormDrain posted:

I don't think that's right. It looks like the Niro does but the sportage does not have that. Sportage has a six speed auto, that's all they say, the Nero touts a six speed dual clutch auto.

You are right and I was confused! When I saw that the non-hybrid sportage had an 8-speed but the hybrid sportage had a 6 speed, I assumed that they used the 6-speed transmission from the Niro / Ioniq as their hybrid vehicle transmission in general.

It looks like the Sportage Hybrid is a conventional auto, and the manual says that its ATF is a lifetime fill that never needs to be serviced.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

UU TEE EFF posted:

If there really is a ~$13,000 gap in depreciation from the Model 3 to Prius then it is not the choice for me, but if it is closer to and $8,000 difference, the Model 3 is a lot more appealing to me because it is electric.

Teslas held their value extremely well until earlier this year when they started to depreciate like a rock, dramatically faster than most cars. I have no idea how you'd model this in the future because the market is so wild, but what I can say is that Tesla sold a bazillion Models 3 and Y over the last 2 years to people who do not historically own cars for very long.

Your other options are some of the known slowest depreciating cars on the market, with an extremely well characterized market history.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No other car has the taint of Elon Musk hanging over it to wildly swing public perception and value, so that's definitely a point in favor of anything not a Tesla - before you even get to their questionable design choices and abhorrent build quality.

But I'll nth the recommendation for absolutely ignoring depreciation. It does not vary significantly enough between competitive models to matter, and the fact that Hondas and Toyotas depreciate less helps prop up the pricing when they're new. It doesn't help that we're still at the tail end of one of the only times where used cars appreciated in value.

If you really care about resale value in five years, keep meticulous records of every service, keep the car absolutely spotlessly detailed, and sell it privately to someone willing to pay a premium for a mint example. That will matter more than "how much a Prius depreciates relative to an Accord". If you're going to trade it in after X years, you're getting hosed by the dealer for more money than you hemmed and hawed about up front.

tl;dr the fact that you have spreadsheeted all this out is the biggest reason you need to Just Buy The Prius. That is the perennial safest possible bet for the car that will cost you the least to own no matter how long you own it for.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And a reminder: Teslas are still generally terrible build quality that varies form sample to sample. You don't get to choose which sample you get - you're ordering it and it just shows up. When it's broken there are few service options and fewer parts. Expect to wait weeks if not months.

These aren't the attributes of a primary vehicle to me. It's like trying to drive a McLaren as your commuter car, minus the fun.

UU TEE EFF
Apr 10, 2005
mate?

IOwnCalculus posted:

tl;dr the fact that you have spreadsheeted all this out is the biggest reason you need to Just Buy The Prius. That is the perennial safest possible bet for the car that will cost you the least to own no matter how long you own it for.

Yeah, I think when you boil it down like this, it makes it a clear choice. Thanks all for the advice.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Motronic posted:

And a reminder: Teslas are still generally terrible build quality that varies form sample to sample. You don't get to choose which sample you get - you're ordering it and it just shows up.

You do, to some extent. You can reject one and you'll go back in the order pipeline for the next one which is usually just a week or two. If you reject a second one I think you're just done though. I was fully prepared to reject my order but the panel gaps were good. There was a factory paint defect which I documented and they fixed. Which coincidentally also happened with my Mach-e.

And depending where you live there is existing inventory now that I don't see why you couldn't go look at it before buying it. There's multiple 3Ps at the service center near me that you can get for 42,500 after tax incentive vs 60,000 a year ago, hence the recent depreciation.

I've got 18,000 miles on mine without a problem other than the lovely autopilot which causes problems with heat mirages which may or may not be an issue depending on where one lives. It has been more reliable than the Mach and is a better car in most ways that matter. The only thing that the Mach really had over the Tesla is the company is run by less of a shitbag and the Mach had an interior that looked nicer but actually wasn't.

UU TEE EFF posted:

If there really is a ~$13,000 gap in depreciation from the Model 3 to Prius

There isn't. It's because of the recent price drops plus the reintroduction of the tax credit, both of which you'll benefit from. For people that bought previously it absolutely has depreciated that much but it's extremely unlikely it would for you.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

This is more of a process question, but I think this is still the right thread.

I want to get an Ioniq 5 SEL when my Bolt lease ends next month. I think I want a lease so I can still take advantage of the $7500 credit, Ive heard horror stories about Hyundai dealerships, and while I dont want to be taken for a ride, I dont need to min/max every part of this process, so Im fine paying a slight premium for an easy experience. Are car brokers able to help secure leases? I was going to use a broker last time I purchased our Volvo but was able to get a great deal on our XC-90 directly with the closest dealer who had the exact trim I was looking for. Ideally I can just pay someone to tee this up for me to walk into a dealer, sign a couple papers, and drive off the lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

ScooterMcTiny posted:

This is more of a process question, but I think this is still the right thread.

I want to get an Ioniq 5 SEL when my Bolt lease ends next month. I think I want a lease so I can still take advantage of the $7500 credit, I’ve heard horror stories about Hyundai dealerships, and while I don’t want to be taken for a ride, I don’t need to min/max every part of this process, so I’m fine paying a slight premium for an easy experience. Are car brokers able to help secure leases? I was going to use a broker last time I purchased our Volvo but was able to get a great deal on our XC-90 directly with the closest dealer who had the exact trim I was looking for. Ideally I can just pay someone to tee this up for me to walk into a dealer, sign a couple papers, and drive off the lot.

Leasehackr might have something in your region, and Truecar will if they don't.

A friend of mine did that recently and Truecar was $6k less than the dealers first offer.