Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I didn’t realize Nevada growth was THAT disproportionate

Another weird thing is looking at the list of largest cities

1. New York, duh
2. Los Angeles, ofc
3. Chicago, checks out
4. Houston, makes sense, sun belt, oil boom
5…… Phoenix, Arizona?

And it gets weirder from there. Jacksonville, Florida, widely known as the hell on earth of the USA, is bigger than San Francisco, Seattle, Denver, or DC itself

Ya its how the municipalities define the city limits. Atlanta for example only has a half million people, but the metro area is like 7 mil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

All we need is an explosion of growth in the lakeshore towns northeast of Erie, and New York's center of population will be in Pennsylvania.

It's not impossible that this have taken place in the past --- Buffalo used to be far more significant than it is now, though it may have been too far north for it, too.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

OwlFancier posted:

Is Nevada basically just Vegas becoming a thing and before that there was gently caress all there?

yes. in 1940 the entire state only had 110,000 people and it was by far the least populated state with half the population of wyoming. It became a state because it had the good fortune to have the world's biggest silver deposit in the world and Lincoln wanted to secure access to it during the civil war for financial reasons.

Its the least arable land in the contiguous US and most of the mines went bust shortly after statehood. Until the Mob figured out legalized gambling close to LA there was no real economy or reason for people to move there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

JosefStalinator posted:

Still remembering when I was doing research on ethnic claims in Eastern Europe, and the Greeks and Bulgarians hired people to do biased censuses to bolster their ethnic claims, but a ton of peasants on various Aegean islands and even up in Macedonia/Thessaly that they interviewed had no idea wtf they were talking about and said they were Roman when asked what their ethnicity was. So the census takers just marked whatever language was their "native" language (which was not always obvious!) or just marked em as whatever they wanted.

EDIT: This was late 1800's I think

Iirc even as late as post-WW1 you had greeks soldiers showing up places going “brother hellenes, you are free!” and people going “I’m rhomaoi what the gently caress are you talking about”

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Its the least arable land in the contiguous US and most of the mines went bust shortly after statehood. Until the Mob figured out legalized gambling close to LA there was no real economy or reason for people to move there.

There was also the tourist spectacle of nuclear bombs.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

SlothfulCobra posted:

There was also the tourist spectacle of nuclear bombs.
So everyone can appreciate it:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mr beast has been reading this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_z-W4UVHkw

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Now that is a cool idea. Wind Roses but for roads.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Now I can tell that it's not weighted by use or centrality at all, because Seattle isn't nearly that consistent except for small streets in residential areas, which I guess must add up to most of our road-miles.

Edit: here's the classic I'm familiar with

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 19, 2023

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

That is really cool. I would guess that most European cities look like Charlotte or Boston.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
European version:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ditocoaf posted:

Now I can tell that it's not weighted by use or centrality at all, because Seattle isn't nearly that consistent except for small streets in residential areas, which I guess must add up to most of our road-miles.

Edit: here's the classic I'm familiar with

I went and looked having never been to Seattle and there must be a story there. It’s a huge number of standard compass rose US grids. But the major streets are all over the place and sometimes two askew grids just slam into each other. drat hippies.

Guavanaut posted:

European version:

Kinda funny how romans built précise grid streets all over the place even for simple overnight camps but Rome itself is a clusterfuck to non-locals

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 19, 2023

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I went and looked having never been to Seattle and there must be a story there. It’s a huge number of standard compass rose US grids. But the major streets are all over the place and sometimes two askew grids just slam into each other. drat hippies.

I would say that the story is mostly steep hills and bodies of water. The topography of Seattle is unusually dramatic for a major city.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Kinda funny how romans built précise grid streets all over the place even for simple overnight camps but Rome itself is a clusterfuck to non-locals

I think that's probably the army and engineering corps would build straight roads and grids, but normal people all over the world just make a mess.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean, Rome is a real city that grew organically over hundreds of years. You cant expect it to be hyper organized. All of Italy is a nightmare to get around in

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also too many mountains, very untidy geography. Should have given the romans nuclear bombs to fix that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Roman Empire managed to do Atoms For Peace/Project Plowshare levels of 'environmental engineering' to mountains in Spain just with slaves and sufficient amounts of water:

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

So youre saying if you start with a blank piece of land then you can design it absolutely how you like it? I dont see how that means you van do the same thing in the seat of your empire, where all the important and powerful people live and own property.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Guavanaut posted:

The Roman Empire managed to do Atoms For Peace/Project Plowshare levels of 'environmental engineering' to mountains in Spain just with slaves and sufficient amounts of water:

From Wikipedia:

quote:

Ice core data taken from Greenland suggest that mineral air pollution peaked during the Roman period in Spain. Levels of atmospheric lead from this period were not reached again until the Industrial Revolution some 1,700 years later

Huh.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

The Roman Empire was pretty bad, but they did some cool engineering.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Romans loving loved lead, used to stick wine in lead jars to make it sweeter, because it forms lead acetate, lmao.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

leads pretty cool

shame about it making everyone criminally insane

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Antigravitas posted:

From Wikipedia:

Huh.

Romans almost single-handedly made large portions of North Africa a desert and destroyed almost all the forests of Italy for ship building.

They were very bad for the environment

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah but if you cook the red rocks from the mountains in Almadén you can get some cool liquid metal to play with. There's nothing wrong with that right?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah but if you cook the red rocks from the mountains in Almadén you can get some cool liquid metal to play with. There's nothing wrong with that right?

my dad used to be a chemical plant worker at BASF on the texas coast in the 80s and a co-worker of his used to play with a little vial of mercury that he'd pour from palm to palm

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Interesting, I was told that if I ever broke the mercury thermometer then everyone in the house would die instantly.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

he probably went insane and died!

my dad took our lil ancient mercury thermometer and put it in his coffee when i was a kid. it instantly shattered and he had to make a new pot

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Romans almost single-handedly made large portions of North Africa a desert and destroyed almost all the forests of Italy for ship building.

Nah, this isn’t true. There isn’t evidence of widespread deforestation in Italy until the Medieval period and if anything cultivable land expanded in North Africa with Roman expansion of irrigation.

The Romans did some bad stuff, but their deleterious impact on the environment has been overblown.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Leviathan Song posted:

I would say that the story is mostly steep hills and bodies of water. The topography of Seattle is unusually dramatic for a major city.

The steep hills don't HELP but story is more "there were three major initial landowners who all had their own idea of what the street orientation would be and marked out the plots they were selling on their own individual orientations and everyone since has just had to deal with them not coming to any sort of agreement."

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Here's road diagrams from more world cities.

https://geoffboeing.com/2018/07/city-street-orientations-world/

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Roman cities around the Mediterranean is a whole other story. They basically had a blueprint they brought with them and used for all new cities/towns/whatever. A bunch of them still exist and you can pretty much navigate their historic cores today if you know the plan.

But that kind of planning needs to be there at the start of the city, not after it's become a place where important people live. I think after the great fire of London, some plans were made for a nice grid, boulevards, the works, but then the guys owning the burnt down houses basically said no and built the same street layout.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Christopher Wren's Plan:

John Evelyn's Plan:

Robert Hooke's Plan:

Richard Newcourt's Plan: :goleft:

Valentine Knight's Plan: :effort:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

BonHair posted:

Roman cities around the Mediterranean is a whole other story. They basically had a blueprint they brought with them and used for all new cities/towns/whatever. A bunch of them still exist and you can pretty much navigate their historic cores today if you know the plan.

But that kind of planning needs to be there at the start of the city, not after it's become a place where important people live. I think after the great fire of London, some plans were made for a nice grid, boulevards, the works, but then the guys owning the burnt down houses basically said no and built the same street layout.

True! For example, the Left Bank in Paris still bears traces of the street grid of Roman Lutetia:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like the cities that stuck with a grid pattern, but felt no need to orient themselves to specifically north/south east/west. That's gonna do weird things to your innate sense of direction.

And I've read that Paris was rebuilt to be easier to navigate (and harder to barricade for a rebel uprising) on top of also having traces of Roman roadbuilding, but I guess that didn't translate into maintaining a grid.

What exactly are they counting as roads for Venice?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SlothfulCobra posted:

I like the cities that stuck with a grid pattern, but felt no need to orient themselves to specifically north/south east/west. That's gonna do weird things to your innate sense of direction.

And I've read that Paris was rebuilt to be easier to navigate (and harder to barricade for a rebel uprising) on top of also having traces of Roman roadbuilding, but I guess that didn't translate into maintaining a grid.

What exactly are they counting as roads for Venice?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haussmann%27s_renovation_of_Paris

The new Paris is still more yankee-style than the old

And yes, significantly easier to march armies rapidly through unblockable boulevards

Unfortunately for Napoléon III, he did not foresee which armies would next be marching in Paris

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 20, 2023

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Meanwhile, the pattern of Washington D.C. is apparently directly based on Paris.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think compass directions are hard coded into humans, and even if they were, they would probably be based on magnetic North, not geographical North. Some languages actually favour cardinal directions over left/right, but it's usually like uphill/downhill (which makes a lot more sense in the Andes than New York obviously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

JosefStalinator posted:

I wandered off from Translvania from time to time to do ethnographic studies.

EDIT: Also a lot of the people they asked just said they were "Christian," and left it at that.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Iirc even as late as post-WW1 you had greeks soldiers showing up places going “brother hellenes, you are free!” and people going “I’m rhomaoi what the gently caress are you talking about”

Yeah these are directly related. Christian and Roman were synonymous identities. Hellene meant you were a weird pagan and was basically a slur. Hellene only came back as an ethnic identifier in the 1800s with Greek nationalist movements, Roman was still the standard term and didn't entirely go away until the 20th century. The only True Greeks are the Grikos in Italy. :colbert:

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

They were very bad for the environment

Not true, it was a desert long before the Romans showed up. The Sahara goes back and forth between desert and dry grassland as the Earth's axis precesses. Humans, at least until recently, have had very little to do with it.