Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Aye it needs to be with other players and, don't forget, level synched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've used a couple dozen Fantasias but I always go back to Roe. I'd have many alts of different races if the game was friendlier for alts but you can't even mail yourself stuff

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Thinking I'll mainly do Frontlines and Euphro and maybe some blu farms of dead ends if those are a thing. Euphro and dead ends just because I still need the drat minions!!!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FuturePastNow posted:

I've used a couple dozen Fantasias but I always go back to Roe. I'd have many alts of different races if the game was friendlier for alts but you can't even mail yourself stuff
Strangely whenever i spend a period as an elezen, I design some cool outfits and then don't play much until I revert. it's happened three times now!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Countblanc posted:

i dont know how you fantasia-heads do it. with the sale on i decided that it'd be a fun time to try swapping so I made a character I really liked in the character creator... and just felt like, instant repulsion. like i don't really relate to my WoL but at this point they're as much a character as yshtola or alphinaud, and i feel like it'd be just as weird seeing one of them suddenly swapped race and gender. you people are built different. respect.

I can't be trusted with any fantasia since I will 100% use it and then feel immense regret the next day but I think it's just an excellent way to try different gendered fashion styles and unique hair styles. Also, I kinda wish I could change my IRL appearance so it was kinda of way affordable escapism when I felt bored in a lull.

The main downside other than :10bux: is redoing ALL of my glams and feeling awkward if my character is shorter than I'm used to in raids.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Alder posted:

I can't be trusted with any fantasia since I will 100% use it and then feel immense regret the next day but I think it's just an excellent way to try different gendered fashion styles and unique hair styles. Also, I kinda wish I could change my IRL appearance so it was kinda of way affordable escapism when I felt bored in a lull.

The main downside other than :10bux: is redoing ALL of my glams and feeling awkward if my character is shorter than I'm used to in raids.

I sympathize about fantasia regret, it usually feels weird to me until I start playing dress-up. I might choose the character but it's when I start glamming that they truly feel like mine.

Though your downside is my upside. I use fantasias when I feel I'm getting too locked into one particular glam or look, redoing everything is my reward. 5 so far (1 from MSQ, 1 from a returner event, 3 bought in a previous sale), have one left from a 3-pack for next time it happens.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 19, 2023

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
Just got around to leveling Blue Mage to 80 and... when did they change the kill chain to lose time when you kill something? Seems nearly impossible to get above 5 now.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I don't use Fantasia, and never will. I just make a new character instead.

As for passing them stuff, I apply to my FC as the new character, swap to my Main and accept my application, then use the FC Chest to transfer stuff.

I just made a PunchBun yesterday so I could play as a Viera, and also so I could level Monk again.

Also, this game needs a Prestige System…

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Sentient Data posted:

The only complaints I've seen about blu in the event are about rates of efficiency of farming, so good. It's almost like they want to give good stuff to casual players as part of some sort of event

ah i see it's threadshit on side content enjoyers o'clock again. frankly how dare people do content in FFXIV that you don't personally enjoy.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

just like the last 5 events i will probably not actually participate at all. i got bg3 to play
https://twitter.com/asciangrandpa/status/1692582943129043140

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Offkorn posted:

Just got around to leveling Blue Mage to 80 and... when did they change the kill chain to lose time when you kill something? Seems nearly impossible to get above 5 now.

It's always been the same. The timer does reset, but the time it resets to goes down as the chain goes up and there's a pretty severe drop around 4 or 5 down to just 20 seconds.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Finally tackling my healing anxiety I seem to swing between "this is fine" and "I want to strangle every party member with my bare hands". We'll see if it changes when I get out of ARR dungeon design. I just needed another job for catbooks and didn't want to waste that xp on lower levels, so if I still hate it no biggie.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Bruceski posted:

It's always been the same. The timer does reset, but the time it resets to goes down as the chain goes up and there's a pretty severe drop around 4 or 5 down to just 20 seconds.

There's now a 20 second drop at chain 2, a 10 second drop at chain 4, and then you get nothing from then on. It was most definitely not this bad pre-Endwalker as I was able to chain Buffalo in Cloudtop up to chain 10 fairly easily leveling Blu back then.

As an aside, I don't know why they don't just match it to the Eureka chaining system (which is perfectly sensible). Having two separate mob leveling chains seems dumb.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bruceski posted:

Finally tackling my healing anxiety I seem to swing between "this is fine" and "I want to strangle every party member with my bare hands". We'll see if it changes when I get out of ARR dungeon design. I just needed another job for catbooks and didn't want to waste that xp on lower levels, so if I still hate it no biggie.

as someone who has been leveling a healer again for the first time in a while, it gets so much better post-60 and even better-better post 70-80. you just do not have the tools to mindlessly fix everyone's mistakes sub-50 so every time someone fucks up bad enough you have to waste a GCD and it feels terrible. when you have 69 hojillion ogcds that all heal for 9001 potency it's a complete non-issue. unless you're one of those weirdos who gets fussy anytime anyone needs healed for any reason, in which case you are probably going to have a bad time.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

Thinking I'll mainly do Frontlines and Euphro and maybe some blu farms of dead ends if those are a thing. Euphro and dead ends just because I still need the drat minions!!!

Maybe I'll finally get Starbird and caduceus!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Blue mages can't run Dead Ends yet can they?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Martman posted:

Blue mages can't run Dead Ends yet can they?

Nope. It's a Level 90 Dungeon.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Frida Call Me posted:

ah i see it's threadshit on side content enjoyers o'clock again. frankly how dare people do content in FFXIV that you don't personally enjoy.

That wasn't my point at all previously, but I changed my mind and now it is the point and aimed specifically at you :thumbsup:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

I've never so much as used the barber.

Same, and yet I still greedily collect all the haircuts I can

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Sentient Data posted:

That wasn't my point at all previously, but I changed my mind and now it is the point and aimed specifically at you :thumbsup:

enjoy spamming alliance raids for 8 hours a day to get rewards from content you refuse to ever engage in!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Frida Call Me posted:

enjoy spamming alliance raids for 8 hours a day to get rewards from content you refuse to ever engage in!
I dunno what the hell you're talking about but it sounds like you're saying something really dumb

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
you have almost two months to get what you need. just running alliance and msq roulettes daily will get you there

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Tbh I think that doing alliance raids that I haven't run in several months to several years sounds like more interesting side content than running through Aurum Vale casting Ultravibration until my soul leaves my body

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

I've never so much as used the barber.
i like changing my haircut every expansion/post expansion story. going to put my hair up into a ponytail for fun in the sun for dawntrail.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Would the lack of stats on the weapon start catching up to BLU at level 90? At some point you'd think the lower vitality would make savage boss damage daunting enough that you're spending too much of the fight using Diamondback instead of dealing damage.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Thundarr posted:

Would the lack of stats on the weapon start catching up to BLU at level 90? At some point you'd think the lower vitality would make savage boss damage daunting enough that you're spending too much of the fight using Diamondback instead of dealing damage.

Doesn't BLU get a higher boost from gear than other Casters do to compensate for that, or am I thinking of a different game?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

BLU's just simply need to kill the boss before it kills them

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
They get a bigger boost from Int to add to their damage, but I don’t think Vit or other stats scale any different

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Goblin Punch is wonderful and I love it. I'd give my kingdom for an instant/short recast group enemy ability that functions similarly.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'm watching a new-ish player getting caught up on the MSQ, and she just reached Rubicante. I still can't believe Soken went and got Hyadain to do a remix for FFXIV. :allears:

snohax
May 30, 2011

Thundarr posted:

BLU has the lowest hp of any job on account of the missing vitality on weapon, but that gap isn't really increasing as a percentage as levels increase. There's also a bunch of factors to help keep pace with incoming damage, the biggest being that BLU is always walking in at max ilvl gear for the expansion. Besides that, Bad Breath can be a 100% uptime Reprisal, Tank Mimicry grants the same magic/defense as a tank job of the same level, and Mighty Guard grants a 40% passive damage reduction compared to other tanks' 20%. Without active mits a BLU tank will still soak less total damage before falling over than an actual tank job does, but it's closer than you'd think.

Really the big thing that makes BLU tanking (and healing) tricky is everything being GCDs with cast times. If you're reacting after a boss cast bar has already popped up, it's probably too late, but in the context of savage fights you're memorizing the timings for everything anyways, so it's not any worse than learning a savage fight normally.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, who's looking forward to the three and a half minutes of a tomestone bump for Rival Wings, before it becomes a ghost town again because they gave the exact same tomestone reward for Frontlines?

The fact this keeps happening means I can't even be that excited about the rewards. The emotes are neat, I guess.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cleretic posted:

So, who's looking forward to the three and a half minutes of a tomestone bump for Rival Wings, before it becomes a ghost town again because they gave the exact same tomestone reward for Frontlines?

The fact this keeps happening means I can't even be that excited about the rewards. The emotes are neat, I guess.
I don't think you're looking forward to it at all! This entire pose has a false premise - I'm onto your empire of lies, Cleretic

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Cleretic posted:

stop posting like this

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Don't play for the rewards, play because you like it

Vvv
Aren't there specifically pvp groups that run it at times? It may not be 24/7 pub queue viable, but that feels like saying coils is dead. And if I'm wrong then I don't see why it's useful to complain when they're doing something to make it popular even if temporarily

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 19, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sentient Data posted:

Don't play for the rewards, play because you like it

I would, but nobody plays Rival Wings when it doesn't have rewards, so it's the main highlight of the mogtome events. It's the only time when you can regularly get queues!

Back when it was the only PvP duty that got mogtome rewards, it meant that it was active for pretty much the whole event. But when Frontlines gets it too, that Rival Wings bump is lucky to last a week. If you're like me and playing off-peak hours most days, that could mean that by the time you get the free time in peak hours necessary to get regular PvP queues, Rival Wings has already died again.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

https://discord.gg/JejsxCYB

There, now you can find out what times people play Rival Wings every week.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I just had a thought. They could be setting up for a themed set of expansions with Dawntrail.

They could very easily go Dawn > Noon > Dusk > Night. I honestly doubt they'd actually do that, given the previous expansion titles having no connective theming, but it's fun to speculate.

Unfortunately the only idea I have for a Noon expansion is High Noon, which just brings up the unfortunate connotations of the Whalaqee.

Dusk and Night would be perfect shoo-ins for going to the 13th, though.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dareon posted:

I just had a thought. They could be setting up for a themed set of expansions with Dawntrail.

They could very easily go Dawn > Noon > Dusk > Night. I honestly doubt they'd actually do that, given the previous expansion titles having no connective theming, but it's fun to speculate.

Unfortunately the only idea I have for a Noon expansion is High Noon, which just brings up the unfortunate connotations of the Whalaqee.

Dusk and Night would be perfect shoo-ins for going to the 13th, though.

Whilst this is a neat potential thing, the Japanese title for Dawntrail is Trail of Gold/Golden Trail (because El Dorado).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Lord_Magmar posted:

Whilst this is a neat potential thing, the Japanese title for Dawntrail is Trail of Gold/Golden Trail (because El Dorado).

Soken collaboration with Elton John.