Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

delfin posted:

Fair enough. I test my 50/50 luck on her in about 38 more pulls, if she's still around at that point.

One of the events right now is just 'Have a free Lynette.' You don't even need to do anything in Fontaine, just click accept on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Sanctum posted:

All the anemos are quality except for Lynette who does what exactly? Anemo damage to one enemy every 12s?

Maybe I'm not understanding Lynette but my impression is Lynette feels like the worst anemo character. Her burst is useful at least? A burst is not enough when she has nothing else to offer.

she feels slightly more capable than anemo traveler which is damning with faint praise.

she is a catgirl though so she's at least A tier for that alone.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

RareAcumen posted:

One of the events right now is just 'Have a free Lynette.' You don't even need to do anything in Fontaine, just click accept on it.

I clicked on that to make it go away but yeah not building her. Watch her become turbo-meta in three patches or so

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Traveller posted:

I clicked on that to make it go away but yeah not building her. Watch her become turbo-meta in three patches or so

I'm just trying to be informative, you don't have to spend fates or Primogems to get her and I just want people to know that.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The bureaucracy questline is pretty funny. You spend three consecutive (in-game) days doing three consecutive quests where you leave the room you're in exactly once and do nothing but talk to people and deal with paperwork. The punchline is that each individual quest in this line is a separate Fontaine reputation quest, so you get 60% of an Archon Quest's worth of reputation for 15 minutes of watching a young bureaucrat descend into madness.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
How are Lyney and Lynette siblings if one has cat ears?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

RareAcumen posted:

To get Yelan, though...

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sanctum posted:

How are Lyney and Lynette siblings if one has cat ears?

People can be adopted jerk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they're legit biological twins, but it's just genetic differences. they're a boy and a girl, so they're fraternal twins, not identical twins. so lynette inherited the cat ear gene and lyney didn't, same as how fraternal twins can have different eye/hair/skin colors.

fraternal twins are functionally just siblings that happened to be born at the same time, it comes from two different eggs being fertilized at the same time. theres no genetic difference from if they were born a decade apart, assuming the same parents. identical twins occur when an already fertilized egg splits, thus basically 'cloning' the same baby.

this has been your genshin impact biology lesson.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Aug 19, 2023

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Maybe Lyney is also a catboy, but he was born with a hideous deformity that makes him look exactly like a normal human.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maybe he's like Goku and they cut his tail off when he was a kid.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

He does have a cat tail and ears, he just hides them with sleight of hand.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider
The slot machine insisted on giving me a C6 Lynette. Been fun exploring Fontaine with Lynette, Nahida, Raiden and Kokomi. Run the cat on land and the fish in the water and the other two make short work of HP bars.

Looking forward to meeting a frog friend and I like what they are doing with Salsa and viewpoints.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

God I took all the electros out of my party because of how it would completely gently caress up sumeru mat drops

Hopefully F has none of that

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

LeastActionHero posted:

No? While underwater swim up and sprint, Lynette and HMC will jump out of the water, everyone else I've tried just hits the surface and stops. I'm guessing Lyney will do the same but I don't have him.

Had to try just to see if I'm losing it and well drat, I guess I am losing it. You're right, my bad, I was so sure I've done it with other characters than Lyney and Lynette but guess not after all.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

On the subject of passives working underwater, Baizhu's "heal when you pick up a collectable" works so that's a nice source of healing if there aren't any fishies nearby.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Huh. Just finished Act II of the Archon Quest and I may wait for Neuvillette instead of pulling for Lyney.

On the one hand, Lyney having Pneuma attacks and surfacing local pickups on the minimap is nice QoL early on in Fontaine. On the other, neither of those things seem to matter with the generous amount of pneuma/ousia orbs in the environment and the updated online map, not even mentioning that it seems unnecessary to even engage with the pneuma/ousia mechanic at all if your party's already well-built. I already have Yoi and Kokomi so both element/weapon types would have some overlap, but I'm happy to double up if the character's cool. If he ends up having Pneuma application I'm basically sold. (Yes, I know HMC has Pneuma application; no, I won't be using HMC.)

Glad I figured this out at ~69 pity and no later!

How is the pneuma/ousia mechanic feeling for y'all? So far it feels like a nice 'bonus' to have characters with pn/ou application talents, but nothing more. Especially because you can't even use them underwater! They do give you a character with each for free, so I wonder whether it'll be a more important factor in later patches - some fight where you can't proceed without having a character with application for example, like the Dendro cube.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

free Trapt CD posted:

Huh. Just finished Act II of the Archon Quest and I may wait for Neuvillette instead of pulling for Lyney.

On the one hand, Lyney having Pneuma attacks and surfacing local pickups on the minimap is nice QoL early on in Fontaine. On the other, neither of those things seem to matter with the generous amount of pneuma/ousia orbs in the environment and the updated online map, not even mentioning that it seems unnecessary to even engage with the pneuma/ousia mechanic at all if your party's already well-built. I already have Yoi and Kokomi so both element/weapon types would have some overlap, but I'm happy to double up if the character's cool. If he ends up having Pneuma application I'm basically sold. (Yes, I know HMC has Pneuma application; no, I won't be using HMC.)

Glad I figured this out at ~69 pity and no later!

How is the pneuma/ousia mechanic feeling for y'all? So far it feels like a nice 'bonus' to have characters with pn/ou application talents, but nothing more. Especially because you can't even use them underwater! They do give you a character with each for free, so I wonder whether it'll be a more important factor in later patches - some fight where you can't proceed without having a character with application for example, like the Dendro cube.

Honestly yeah, people were really over selling it. It's about on the level of cheating at Inazuma puzzles with Beidou or platforming with any of the people who can do that, plus shooting ruin guards in the eye. Nice bonus, not necessary at all.

Also Hydro MC is very fun, although I have just learned that even their elemental application isn't as good as I thought.

Thankfully whoever I choose between Xiangling and Fischl is overpowered enough for it to still work, at least in overworld.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i doubt theyd ever make anything that literally hardlock required the pneuma/ousia mechanic. they just want to push speedrun abyss whales into it, they dont want to make it something average players will be inconvenieced by.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Captain France posted:

Also Hydro MC is very fun, although I have just learned that even their elemental application isn't as good as I thought.

yeah but their elemental skill is a fingergun which is great

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

UHD posted:

yeah but their elemental skill is a fingergun which is great

I was going to say it's definitely the most fun Traveller yet, but then I remembered Geo MC's whole thing. Those rocks are so cool.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

DMC is still the most fun I've had with a Traveler moveset. It sucks that you have to level each element's skills all over again every time.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I still like geo and anemo traveler best. I understand not wanting to make traveler meta, but I wish they would make them at least competitive with some 4 stars.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Wonder why they never went along with the traveler being able to use different weapons too. There's a quest in Inazuma where they use the bow and are supposed to be amazing at it

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Too much development time for a small indie company like Hoyoverse.

They still haven't fixed the problem in early story quests where everyone keeps flipping what gender they refer to Traveler as.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I stubbornly/misguidedly had the Traveler in my party until well into Liyue back in the day despite having other, stronger characters (including Zhongli) because he's the "main character" and it took me way too long to realize how the game works.

E: I do like his dollar store Venti Anemo burst, it's quick and doesn't do all that much but it's satisfying to use.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
maybe we'll get "actually a 5-star in more than name" Traveler for the Khaenriah chapter

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Finally collected enough roses to get Lyney to 80, will have to pull out Bennett and XL to make up his team. With Kazuha? Or Venti?

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Tampa Bae posted:

Wonder why they never went along with the traveler being able to use different weapons too. There's a quest in Inazuma where they use the bow and are supposed to be amazing at it

Yeah, that would have been a nice touch, but I imagine they just didn't want to have program multiple moveset for them or bother animating Traveler with the player's preferred weapon for cutscenes (especially since they'd have to do it twice for Aether and Lumine).

Maybe they can do that for our sibling, if they ever become playable.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

maybe we'll get "actually a 5-star in more than name" Traveler for the Khaenriah chapter

This would actually be a good way to give us our sibling now that I think about it

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

They could give them their ability to swap elements mid-fight that they've demonstrated in cutscenes. But probably someone mathed it out at Hoyo and decided that would decrease rolls by whatever percent.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
at least let us put multiple Traveler elements in one team. now that Fontaine's out you could make a semi-passable hyperbloom comp, although healing might be an issue :v:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
It’s strange because Star Rail was perfectly happy to give a good kit for that game’s first reclass of their MC (and leaks for their next class also look to be good). Other gachas that use a MC character have made it powerful without issue; your MC is often the most powerful character in your team in Granblue, for example, and that’s never devalued the hundreds of characters they’ve dropped into the draw pool over the years.

It’s strange because DMC had an actual useful niche and it seemed like they had taken some lessons from how useless they otherwise are, but now we are right back there. I mean, why not design an enabler kit for better gacha characters to take advantage of? That’s move some sales.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

By the way, for anyone leveling up Lyney remember you can use the seed box to get Rainbow Rose seeds for your teapot.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

One day I hope is that characters that show items on the map like Mika, Klee, Qiqi, etc can get unique icons on the map.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

for the love of god please give me Goro Izanuma is totally a complete void for materials for me

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Meowywitch posted:

for the love of god please give me Goro Izanuma is totally a complete void for materials for me

learn to love pulling for itto whenever he comes up, i guess

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Tree Reformat posted:

learn to love pulling for itto whenever he comes up, i guess

i got him does he have mat finding!?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, that would have been a nice touch, but I imagine they just didn't want to have program multiple moveset for them or bother animating Traveler with the player's preferred weapon for cutscenes (especially since they'd have to do it twice for Aether and Lumine).

Maybe they can do that for our sibling, if they ever become playable.

This would actually be a good way to give us our sibling now that I think about it

That would be quite a twisted joke that the one actually useful twin is the one you opted out of playing.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Eimi posted:

That would be quite a twisted joke that the one actually useful twin is the one you opted out of playing.

lol gently caress, you're right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Meiteron posted:

It’s strange because DMC had an actual useful niche and it seemed like they had taken some lessons from how useless they otherwise are, but now we are right back there. I mean, why not design an enabler kit for better gacha characters to take advantage of? That’s move some sales.
DMC would have been somewhat less well received if they weren't by far the easiest way to build a hyperbloom team in 3.0: do I want to level *checks notes* Collei, or do I want to use the 80/90 sitting on my bench? Now there are other dendro characters for that (mostly Nahida) and DMC's usefulness is a lot lower.