Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Personally, years out now, looking back at FF7R the worst part of it is the story of FF7 means that you're constantly rotating party members and it kinda feels like you only get brief stretches of full 3 party teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
at least a two-party team in 7R still feels fairly well-rounded, especially since Aerith or Barret are always present to give you a ranged option

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Final Fantasy as a franchise has had problems with that sort of thing- the games are all very story driven and sometimes the narrative splits up the party or makes a character unavailable or outright kills someone you put valuable upgrades on, etc.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Baldur's Gate 3 went from crashing every hour or two to every five minutes once I got to Baldur's Gate. I don't even know what graphic setting to turn down, it runs great at max settings aside form the crashing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Moon Monster posted:

Baldur's Gate 3 went from crashing every hour or two to every five minutes once I got to Baldur's Gate. I don't even know what graphic setting to turn down, it runs great at max settings aside form the crashing.

DX11 tends to be the more stable API in this game than Vulkan, so switch to that if you're having crash issues. Also try capping frames at like 60.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Read After Burning posted:

I bet you loved the jockey enemies in Left 4 Dead 2. :haw:
They were the exact best kind of gently caress you bullshit yes.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

exquisite tea posted:

DX11 tends to be the more stable API in this game than Vulkan, so switch to that if you're having crash issues. Also try capping frames at like 60.

There's something, because I have the game capped at 60 at driver level on DX11 and my GPU fans spin up every time I alt tab back into the game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I had been running DX11, but I can confirm that Vulkan is even worse. Changing the settings from Ultra to Medium had no effect whatsoever, but I'll try capping the framerate.

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

I've been playing the PS4 remaster blah blah of Resident Evil Zero and halfway through the game I noticed that Rebecca is wearing boots, but with her trousers rolled up to capri-length.

Like, Billy has an excuse for just being in a tank top (showing off his sick tribal), and okay, MAYBE I can buy that STARS would recruit Rebecca even though she's obviously 12 years old, but for gently caress's sake, you're wading around in sewers, stepping on mutant leeches, coming into contact with all kinds of mutagenic nightmare fluids, roll your pants down.

I'm disappointed in Capcom because normally their worlds and characters and stories make so much perfect, logical sense.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I understand completely, very risky blowjob

very risky blowjob
Sep 27, 2015

Meowywitch posted:

I understand completely, very risky blowjob

thank you,

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

very risky blowjob posted:

I've been playing the PS4 remaster blah blah of Resident Evil Zero and halfway through the game I noticed that Rebecca is wearing boots, but with her trousers rolled up to capri-length.

Like, Billy has an excuse for just being in a tank top (showing off his sick tribal), and okay, MAYBE I can buy that STARS would recruit Rebecca even though she's obviously 12 years old, but for gently caress's sake, you're wading around in sewers, stepping on mutant leeches, coming into contact with all kinds of mutagenic nightmare fluids, roll your pants down.

I'm disappointed in Capcom because normally their worlds and characters and stories make so much perfect, logical sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q48CdffyLs8

e: bonus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bb1b11U103w

Vic has a new favorite as of 06:29 on Aug 18, 2023

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022
I wish games would stop doing the 'A bad thing happens in a cutscene OH NO' and my character isn't even subdued or knocked out or anything, just sitting there doing nothing five feet away while a tragedy in four acts unfolds before them

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Maxwell Lord posted:

Final Fantasy as a franchise has had problems with that sort of thing- the games are all very story driven and sometimes the narrative splits up the party or makes a character unavailable or outright kills someone you put valuable upgrades on, etc.

FF8 was both the worst and best at this; worst because it kept splitting your party or switching characters multiple times (so many times...) during the game, but best because it was trivially easy to just transfer every junction, GF and magic a character had and basically just turn a character into another one, but then also the worst again because since it was so easy it made a lot of sense to just build a team of 3 and move those setups around but the game would gently caress with you by switching constantly between 2 parties or messing up who became who when moving to the Laguna timeline.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I tried out Dust: An Elysian Tale for about an hour yesterday, and I know one of the bullet points was "fully voice-acted!" but, uh... :whitewater: could it not be, please? I checked the settings and it looks like I can turn off the voices, but it's not a separate slider from the sound effects and stuff. Only the music is a separate slider. I'm not one to normally complain about voice-acting in games, I even put a dozen hours into that D&D themed Borderlands game without thinking much about it, but those games tend to let you ignore the voice acting entirely. Dust has full-screen voice acting for every line, even minor chatter, so talking to NPCs in the first town is between a half-dozen to a dozen fully-voiced clips per conversation. A good chunk of the dialogue is the kind of filler/junk that got me absolutely destroyed by a competent editor in my freshman writing classes in college. Being fully voiced absolutely wrecks the pacing of the game, it either needs to have 3/4 of the dialogue left as text, or have 1/2 of it outright cut.

Also, the scaling of the menus are hosed. I have it on a 4k monitor, and the game's menus automatically assume this means I've got one of those ultrawide movie theater aspect ratio monitors. It takes up, very specifically, the middle third of the screen at most while still stretching from left to right across the whole thing :psyduck:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Playing Expeditions Rome and its pretty good. Basically an RPG game with tactical combat and occasionally you watch a bunch of army symbols bump into each other while negative numbers appear.

However one thing dragging this game down is the post-tactical battle looting. Your character has to literally run over every corpse, chest and hidden treasure on the ma to personally loot the items himself. I command an entire legion of like 5000 people, plus a loyal circle of companions, why am I running around like an kleptomaniac and getting my hands dirty?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Some little things in Monster Hunter Rise, stemming from playing solo in an online-capable game. After playing it this week, I'm still getting used to the game continuing in the background while I'm looking at menus. Mostly it's the fact that pressing the start button doesn't pause the game - I keep forgetting that, look away at something, then come back to remember that monsters can still continue beating me up.
Also, the mission-ending exit countdown. It's nice to have time to do stuff after beating the mission, especially if you're with a group, but it really needs an "are you sure?" exit prompt to finish and leave without waiting for an entire minute to tick off.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Just capture the monsters, then you only gotta wait 20 seconds!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

Some little things in Monster Hunter Rise, stemming from playing solo in an online-capable game. After playing it this week, I'm still getting used to the game continuing in the background while I'm looking at menus. Mostly it's the fact that pressing the start button doesn't pause the game - I keep forgetting that, look away at something, then come back to remember that monsters can still continue beating me up.
Also, the mission-ending exit countdown. It's nice to have time to do stuff after beating the mission, especially if you're with a group, but it really needs an "are you sure?" exit prompt to finish and leave without waiting for an entire minute to tick off.

In previous games it was a nice time to gather ore and the like, but the latest generation and Rise in particular require like 1/30th of the ore gathering that Freedom Unite did so it just feels pointless. They really need to just let you leave when you want to leave, including sticking around longer if that's what it takes to get your carves, at least when you're playing single player.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

kazil posted:

Just capture the monsters, then you only gotta wait 20 seconds!

If I wanted to do that, I would've bought Monster Capturer Rise :colbert:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

I think you'll find it takes a better hunter to capture a monster than to kill one!

When you kill the monsters, you become one yourself!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I’m pretty sure there is a way to pause if you’re offline. I think there’s a button prompt on the menu or it’s buried in one of the menu dropdowns or something.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Owl Inspector posted:

I’m pretty sure there is a way to pause if you’re offline. I think there’s a button prompt on the menu or it’s buried in one of the menu dropdowns or something.

Oh yeah, it just takes at least four button presses to get there. I got the game on Switch so at least I can just minimize it to pause faster, if I can just remember to do that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Away all Goats posted:

Playing Expeditions Rome and its pretty good. Basically an RPG game with tactical combat and occasionally you watch a bunch of army symbols bump into each other while negative numbers appear.

However one thing dragging this game down is the post-tactical battle looting. Your character has to literally run over every corpse, chest and hidden treasure on the ma to personally loot the items himself. I command an entire legion of like 5000 people, plus a loyal circle of companions, why am I running around like an kleptomaniac and getting my hands dirty?

Now I want to see that game, but with the soldiers having not only the AI but the voice clips of the minions from Overlord. "For youuuuu!"

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Baldur's Gate 3:
The same problem that Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 had: Ambient NPC dialogue isn't muted when I'm trading with NPCs. I'm trying to concentrate on capitalism, people! Please don't repeat the same voice lines over and over and over again!
This issue has existed since 2014, you'd think they'd be aware of it.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Suleman posted:

Baldur's Gate 3:
The same problem that Divinity Original Sin 1 and 2 had: Ambient NPC dialogue isn't muted when I'm trading with NPCs. I'm trying to concentrate on capitalism, people! Please don't repeat the same voice lines over and over and over again!
This issue has existed since 2014, you'd think they'd be aware of it.

I hadn't noticed this really until I got to the Goblin Camp, and while talking to the merchant, you can hear Volo in the background just yelling constantly.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Broforce is kind of a dumb mindless action game that is super hurt by them never explaining anything. Not just with how so many of the Bros have unique mechanics but also stuff like unlocks. Like there's one side mission that unlocks a shield ability but they don't actually explain this or how to actually use it even though you're supposed to in order to complete the level.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Vampire Survivor keeps putting more and more elaborate maps into the DLCs, but it's impossible to see or navigate anything with stronger characters because everything will be blotted out by enemies and effects.

That poo poo was perfectly fine when the maps were mostly just open featureless voids, but when you need to navigate around walls and poo poo it's just useless.
They added 'detailed maps' you can unlock recently, but the only way to solve this is to add a button toggle or something that makes enemies and effects transparent.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

CitizenKain posted:

I hadn't noticed this really until I got to the Goblin Camp, and while talking to the merchant, you can hear Volo in the background just yelling constantly.

Acting like a stupid rear end in a top hat is a vital facet of Volo's character

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
Volowns

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah game install sizes have gotten pretty ridiculous to the point of it being a huge turn off for me. Money has been very tight lately so I can't just go and buy more storage for my devices at the moment. Your average 1TB ssd can only hold about 6-9 AAA games. This is why I stick with indie titles and older games because I can install anywhere from 20 to 100 games depending on the their size because my ADD riddled brain demands I keep a variety on titles on demand at all times. With emulation I can have 1000s of games ready to play at a moment's notice.

What makes things even more hilarious is that most AAA games are such horrible, buggy, unoptimized piles of trash they're not worth wasting the drive space and bandwidth needed to install them in the first place. I feel bad for the gamers whose internet service throttles their speed after going over their data cap.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

Broforce is kind of a dumb mindless action game that is super hurt by them never explaining anything. Not just with how so many of the Bros have unique mechanics but also stuff like unlocks. Like there's one side mission that unlocks a shield ability but they don't actually explain this or how to actually use it even though you're supposed to in order to complete the level.

Hmm, I don't remember the shield and now I wonder if it's because I played it years ago or I didn't earn it/learn it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lobok posted:

Hmm, I don't remember the shield and now I wonder if it's because I played it years ago or I didn't earn it/learn it.

I've been playing the version that's on Game Pass and it has some subtitle so it was probably added in a later version.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

I've been playing the version that's on Game Pass and it has some subtitle so it was probably added in a later version.

Oh sweet, I just looked it up. Broforce Forever is a big free update that came out a couple weeks ago. Pretty awesome they would do it for a game that old.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

In Far Cry 6, the game seems to expect me to stop my car/quad bike/horse/helicopter/plane every 45 seconds to pick up an "!", which will probably just mark a base on my map I'd get to eventually. I know I could ignore them, but my brain seems wired to always pay attention to a "!"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I know they wanted to differentiate the Guardians of the Galaxy game from the movie, but Rocket's weird beard jewelry is still a bad design choice.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Alhazred posted:

I know they wanted to differentiate the Guardians of the Galaxy game from the movie

I'm sure they did want that but I can't actually understand why

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I'm sure they did want that but I can't actually understand why

Maybe to avoid having to pay the movie’s actors for use of their likeness?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Thing dragging down Vampire Survivors: i started playing it in the Xbox now and it keeps getting stuck on the Photosensitivity warning unless I clear my cache, every time I go back to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm glad the Guardians game went with the comics and not the movies. In hindsight it seems like the game won't get a sequel but had it been successful, having their own versions allowed more freedom, apart from whatever happened in the MCU. The comics also has a much richer history.

And really, if they couldn't get the actors' voices or likenesses, I'd rather not have imitations.