Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ah, the crystal charging room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Soggy Biscuit Parlour

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Trabant posted:

It's not any one house, but a collection of house crimes. nearly all from https://www.instagram.com/pleasehatethesethings/

Gotta say I don't hate this shower. Could use a bit of work but I think the original ideas pretty interesting.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You get in that shower and you're not getting out in the same room.

Possibly it outputs you into the bath dais room.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

All of that effort for a single non-jetted tub makes me angry.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

Gotta say I don't hate this shower. Could use a bit of work but I think the original ideas pretty interesting.

Yeah I like the shower, looks cosy

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Trabant posted:

It's not any one house, but a collection of house crimes. nearly all from https://www.instagram.com/pleasehatethesethings/

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

If I was a guy I'd make it a contest every day to pee directly and drip-free into that gap on the left.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

If I was a guy I'd make it a contest every day to pee directly and drip-free into that gap on the left.

I was going to ask why that specific picture bothered me the most, but it seems you just answered my question

Love when that pee covered rim touches my legs

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I like the little touches, like how the seat isn't straight over the bowel either, and just leans a bit to the right, meaning your going to be sitting off center slightly.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

dr_rat posted:

I like the little touches, like how the seat isn't straight over the bowel either, and just leans a bit to the right, meaning your going to be sitting off center slightly.

drat these off-centre bowels! :argh:

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

*Scrolling down*

"No."

"No."

"NO."

"NO!"

Okay that's a weird number of identical tables, kind of reminds me of a cross between a house and a restaurant, makes me wonder a bit, but I guess it has a nice warm look to it... let's move on...

"No."

"NO."

"NO!!!!"

lol

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Pre-warmed seat and toilet paper? Yes please.

At least it's not an air intake.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Twenty Four posted:

Okay that's a weird number of identical tables, kind of reminds me of a cross between a house and a restaurant, makes me wonder a bit, but I guess it has a nice warm look to it... let's move on...

It screams bougie nursing home dining room

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I kinda love the pink bathroom; it's unapologetically what it is. It's a wholly formed aesthetic, not a mishmash of ideas from [insert your favorite home dec magazine]. Of course, I'd kill myself by tripping over the rim when getting out of the shower, but you must suffer for beauty.

I think the way that the coved tiles taper into the painted part of the walls is especially keen, and much prettier than the standard straight line.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
my eyes are panicking

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

At least that shower is trying to solve a problem, even if it might not do it well. I've seen an upward trend in the "build a house, renovate a house, buy a house, etc." shows on tv with showers that are either just wide open to the rest of the restroom or have a tiny piece of near useless glass as a partition.

I'm all for a shower stall, don't get me wrong I actually prefer them, even a partially open one. However, I don't want to go in to use the toilet and have it be drenched wet from a recent shower someone took accompanied by some gross soggy toilet paper because the shower head is right there 3 feet away and there's just a drain in the middle of the wet floor because someone thought that was a good idea. It seems like one of those decisions where I automatically go "no, the aesthetics do not outweigh the functionality here, it only took me 2 seconds to figure that one out and I didn't even use it".

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Twenty Four posted:

At least that shower is trying to solve a problem, even if it might not do it well. I've seen an upward trend in the "build a house, renovate a house, buy a house, etc." shows on tv with showers that are either just wide open to the rest of the restroom or have a tiny piece of near useless glass as a partition.

Pretty much every hotel renovated in the last decade does their showers that way, and it's terrible.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

binge crotching posted:

Pretty much every hotel renovated in the last decade does their showers that way, and it's terrible.

I mean, at least you only stay in a hotel for a short period, typically. I could deal with it for an extended weekend or whatever without it bothering me too much. There's no way I'm intentionally making that decision at a place I plan to live in long term, and might have some choice words with anyone who did.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
Anyone have an extra dollar they feel like burning?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/70-E-Ypsilanti-Ave-Pontiac-MI-48340/24403629_zpid/

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Exotic weeds?

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

What in the absolute gently caress is this

It's from French-speaking Ontario and I have no idea.

https://redf.in/Juz1r2

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Huh, a decade ago it was for sale for $10k and last year it was for sale again at $4k .....

Is it an old crack den or something?

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Aug 19, 2023

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The scrap metal alone would be worth more than a dollar, assuming there's any left.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Buttchocks posted:

The scrap metal alone would be worth more than a dollar, assuming there's any left.

$1500 buyers fee

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I've seen this fuckin movie and I ain't no Justin Long

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Metaline posted:

Cottagecore should never have leaked out of Animal Crossing into reality

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The partially completed repairs leads me to believe they found something bad enough to make the place a blower upper, to the point the admin costs to sell the thing are more than actual value, so gently caress it: $1

But maybe it's haunted as balls

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

There's a TV series on the HGTV channel based on this called "Bargain Block". A pair of guys buy mostly horrible, trashed, dirt cheap bungalows in run down Michigan neighborhoods (like where this one is, in Pontiac, a suburb of Detroit). Typically because of stupid government regulations, it's often going to be much more expensive to demo the entire thing and start over than to fix up even the most horrible places, and most people just don't want to deal with it. Compared to the condition of many of the places those guys start with, that listing is absolutely luxurious. We're talking like "it was on fire, which unfortunately didn't kill all the mold, the walls that haven't fallen down are trashed, and as you can see and smell it has been used as a combination trash dump and giant toilet for years" levels of bad.

As some of these Michigan neighborhoods are well known as being largely abandoned and in disrepair, there's no lack of these properties. So what these guys do is go down the street, try to get multiple houses on the same street or nearby for cheap, and they in effect end up fixing up much of a neighborhood. This is not only good for the people still living nearby, but also helps drive up their selling price on multiple units when the area just got better as the previous neighborhood eyesores are now some of the nicer houses on the block.

They fully reno and furnish each place, and the one guy makes some... "questionable" design choices and typically goes with whatever theme his rather artsy mind comes up with at the time (think, this is the beach in winter themed house, this is the 50's diner themed house, this is the "oops, all purple" themed house, etc.). This often drives his partner crazy, because not only do they have to actually sell them and some of them can get pretty strange, but at least in the first season or two the guys are typically working on two houses at once, living in the one in rougher shape while they finish up the one that's closer to ready to sell. However, there's no denying that everything they touch ends up better. It's a fairly fun show for anyone who likes renovation type tv programs.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Is it an old crack den or something?
Imagining a situation like

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/bungalow-newhall-newhall-cottage-naas-co-kildare/5379324

This one's funny -- beautiful country cottage, located right next to a motorway in the middle of a business park. The listing talks about lucrative development opportunities, like the old owner was refusing to sell up.

rollick has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Aug 19, 2023

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Twenty Four posted:

There's a TV series on the HGTV channel based on this called "Bargain Block". A pair of guys buy mostly horrible, trashed, dirt cheap bungalows in run down Michigan neighborhoods (like where this one is, in Pontiac, a suburb of Detroit). Typically because of stupid government regulations, it's often going to be much more expensive to demo the entire thing and start over than to fix up even the most horrible places, and most people just don't want to deal with it. Compared to the condition of many of the places those guys start with, that listing is absolutely luxurious. We're talking like "it was on fire, which unfortunately didn't kill all the mold, the walls that haven't fallen down are trashed, and as you can see and smell it has been used as a combination trash dump and giant toilet for years" levels of bad.

I mean, the Bargain Block guys are buying homes from the Detroit Land Bank for say $8-10k, rehabbing them, and selling them for usually less than $100k because the neighborhoods they're in (in the city of Detroit, not anywhere near Pontiac which is a 45min drive away) have historically depressed home values due to a whole lot of reasons. The house in Pontiac is listed at $1 to start a bidding war. I think the only similarities here is that both examples are in Michigan.

The reason this is happening is a lot more nuanced than just "most people just don't want to deal with [rehabbing homes in their own neighborhood]". This article has some good information: https://outliermedia.org/bargain-block-home-flippers-fitzgerald-detroit-land-bank/

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

rollick posted:

Imagining a situation like

Is Burt Out even aware he's expected to buy that property?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

rollick posted:

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/bungalow-newhall-newhall-cottage-naas-co-kildare/5379324

This one's funny -- beautiful country cottage, located right next to a motorway in the middle of a business park. The listing talks about lucrative development opportunities, like the old owner was refusing to sell up.

Ok, that's both gorgeous and hilarious. From the street, you can't even tell it's there. Even the driveway entrance is essentially a hidden cove I had to search for a bit to find.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Twenty Four posted:

Typically because of stupid government regulations

Which ones?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Baltimore has (or had? looks like there's a replacement in committee now) a thing where you can buy a house for $1 and even get a grant to rehab it if you live there for two or more years.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Twenty Four posted:

stupid government regulations

Tezer posted:

Which ones?

I'm not sure if you're joking, because there's so many, but one example in this specific case is where in many geographical areas what code regulations a house or building has to be compliant with is based on the year it was built. Not necessarily the whole building, but often just "enough" of the guts, which can vary.

The part that makes sense is it's supposed to help keep the government or developers from tearing down peoples houses or businesses on technicalities based on ulterior motives, keeping historical buildings from being destroyed, and prevent strong-arming poor people out of their homes. Not that these things can't and don't happen anyways, but it's the more sensible reasoning.

The dumb part is where it would make more sense to demo a trashed building and start over, but regulations require you keep, say, the old foundation and a certain number of crumbling walls standing from the original structure to skirt regulations. This can lead to companies cutting corners and getting away with making cheap inferior buildings because they left a slab and wall up from 1920 or whatever so it's held to the old code from that year. Or "if you tear down the second building on this property, you can never build another one with current zoning, so either leave it, fix it, or it's gone forever" and they just sit in a dilapidated state. Also, for "historical reasons" sometimes you can't tear down some shithole house no one cares about because it was built in 1945 or whatever, and no one wants to pay to renovate it, so despite having no real historical relevance it remains vacant.

So, because of code and zoning regulations, that's one of many reasons certain run-down abandoned buildings are left to continue to deteriorate, because the financial red tape makes them either financially unfeasible, or a lot of jumping through hoops. That also contributes to urban sprawl, where it can be cheaper to just build something new on the edge of town than fix existing locations with all the bureaucracy and fees that can come with them.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Metaline posted:

Eight names on the wall. Five beds. Two more unique names on the... storage drawers?

These kids aren't real, I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Zesty posted:

Eight names on the wall. Five beds. Two more unique names on the... storage drawers?

These kids aren't real, I hope.

Comedy option, they're sleeping in shifts.