Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bright Bart posted:

Is there a fancy term in Latin for such situations or the defence that you only broke the law as a result of such a situation? I'm not seriously in need of answers but I do find it darkly comical.

For the first scenario (law from the same jurisdiction bans speeds below or above 5mph), you can generally raise an impossibility defense.

For the second, where your problems are caused by the fact that two different jurisdictions have imposed conflicting obligations, the Latin is something like sugit vos esse (sucks to be you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Personalis defectum

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I have never been in an accident.
Wreckless driving

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
It is a criminal offense to neglect your patriotic duty and not be incarcerated in a private for-profit prison for at least 2 years in every 15 year period. How you end up in there is up to you!

ulmont posted:

For the first scenario (law from the same jurisdiction bans speeds below or above 5mph), you can generally raise an impossibility defense.

I could have given a better example where it's not the same law mandating an impossible speed. Like say you have a court-ordered appointment with your parole officer at 4:30 PM but there's a curfew starting at 4:00 PM.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Aug 13, 2023

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bright Bart posted:

I could have given a better example where it's not the same law mandating an impossible speed. Like say you have a court-ordered appointment with your parol officer at 4:30 PM but there's a curfew starting at 4:00 PM.

That doesn’t matter here, my note was that it was the same sovereign entity creating your conflict. It’s when it’s two sovereigns that you’re proper hosed and dual citizens have this sort of issue periodically, mostly relating to conscription.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Alchenar posted:

I mean the original reason for the rule against self-incrimination was 'the defendant will just lie, and so in addition to being convicted we are forcing them to imperil their immortal soul'.

Cite? Would like to learn more

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Organza Quiz posted:

What I am suggesting is that you challenge their fees which will at worst annoy them and possibly make them offer you more to go away, and at best get you back your money if they can't justify their fees. It might be the best lever to pull out of the ones you have available. There is a reason why costs disclosures are legally required to include information about how to do it.

So I looked into this and it costs money to do so I'm just gonna take the payment and go away

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

EwokEntourage posted:

The people that wrote accounts of trials way back when were mostly priests or other members of the church so of course they’d claim that. No one knows what the “average” medieval peasant thought

Oh, but we do! A professional historian has cleared this up for us!

A World Lit Only By Fire posted:

The most baffling, elusive, yet in many ways the most significant dimensions of the medieval mind were invisible and silent. One was the medieval man’s total lack of ego. Even those with creative powers had no sense of self. To them their identity in this life was irrelevant.
Their villages were frequently innominate for the same reason. If war took a man even a short distance from a nameless hamlet, the chances of his returning to it were slight; he could not identify it, and finding his way back alone was virtually impossible
Among the implications of this lack of selfhood was an almost total indifference to privacy. In summertime the peasants went about naked.
In the medieval mind there was also no awareness of time, which is even more difficult to grasp. Inhabitants of the twentieth century are instinctively aware of past, present, and future. At any given moment most can quickly identify where they are on this temporal scale – the year, usually the date or day of the week, and frequently, by glancing at their wrists, the time of day. Medieval men were rarely aware of which century they were living in.

Manchester wrote the book while taking a break from a 3-part biography of Winston Churchill, and all his previous books were on 20th century figures (Mecken, McArthur, Kennedy). Professional yes, historian maybe.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

We do have enough evidence across geography and time of people of all social strata doing other seemingly irrational things to our eyes on the basis of religion, though, that it lends strength to the hypothesis.

I haven't been involved in academic history for many a year, well since I went to law school, but "religious oaths had a salience they don't anymore" doesn't strike me as a hugely problematic claim.

We also have a lot of stories about the pope having orgies. None of it has any bearing on whether the average person put any stock into it (since the average person didn’t understand Latin and didn’t understand the church service, or probably didn’t speak whatever language the courts worked in, and who knows whether they even made it to any sort of court proceedings and whether it was just handled summarily by whatever authority figure was present.)

I’m sure it meant a lot to some people. Still does. And people still lie under oath today.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

joat mon posted:

Cite? Would like to learn more

I probably overstated things

Langbein posted:

The Anglo-American adversary system repackaged doctrinal baggage that started its journey in the medieval law of the Roman church. The maxim nemo tenetur prodere seipsum, liberally translated as "no one is obliged to accuse himself," helped clarify the line between two spheres of Christian obligation. The believer's duty of penitential confession did not entail instituting criminal proceedings against himself. He could confess sin to a priest without being obliged to confess punishable offenses to judges and prosecutors.115

This is what my frantic googling to find a source that backed up my hazy recollection from law school remarks dragged up: https://law.yale.edu/sites/default/files/documents/pdf/Faculty/Langbein_Privilege_Against_Self_Incrimination.pdf

Important to clarify there's not a direct line between the classical origins of the ideas about what Justice meant and the beginnings of the modern system, rather it looks like people took those hazy ideas about what was right and used arguments we would recognise to gradually change the system.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
I know that laws differ from country to country and where I live (Canada) province to province, but can a legal expert let me know if I have reason see a lawyer?

I was terminated for just cause recently...

e: too much specific info, got the advice I needed

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 14, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm not canadian and I don't know Canadian law but the universal theory of this thread is "If you are asking yourself, "should I talk to a lawyer?" the only answer anyone else can give you is yes."

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

I am Canadian and I agree with HA. If you have to ask, you need to ask a lawyer yourself.

(Is this joinder? Oh no I hope not.)

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams
okay thanks good call. Will do.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Huggybear posted:

I was terminated for just cause recently, for absenteeism, but they falsified the evidence.
Maybe I'm dumb, but do you mean you were in fact justifiably fired for absenteeism but they got the dates wrong/didn't have proof somehow? Or you weren't absent and they (falsely) claimed that you were?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Trapick posted:

Maybe I'm dumb, but do you mean you were in fact justifiably fired for absenteeism but they got the dates wrong/didn't have proof somehow? Or you weren't absent and they (falsely) claimed that you were?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I think they're saying that they were fired for cause, but the cause did not actually exist, and they were actually fired for whistleblowing or something

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Volmarias posted:

I think they're saying that they were fired for cause, but the cause did not actually exist, and they were actually fired for whistleblowing or something

Yes, this.

That said, I was occasionally gone from work but I had a legitimate reason - in the two weeks they reviewed, I went over my calendar - I had two unpaid sick days, a few scheduled and allowable medical appointments, daily lunch breaks, a couple of meetings with clients.

I realize that I also had the habit of answering the company phone outside, so it might look like I leave a lot to talk on my personal phone regularly (the store received about a dozen calls per day, and I am hard of hearing so I need to talk on speaker - multiple lengthy phone calls per day).

Crunching the numbers, it looks like what they did was look at two weeks of normal work days and extrapolate what that adds up to in a year, and accuse me of that amount of absenteeism.

e: do they have the right to refer to sick time off as absenteeism? I guess two days in two weeks is more than usual but I had disclosed I was dealing with a health issue and otherwise had worked the entire year without a sick day or holiday

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 14, 2023

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EwokEntourage posted:

We also have a lot of stories about the pope having orgies. None of it has any bearing on whether the average person put any stock into it (since the average person didn’t understand Latin and didn’t understand the church service, or probably didn’t speak whatever language the courts worked in, and who knows whether they even made it to any sort of court proceedings and whether it was just handled summarily by whatever authority figure was present.)

I’m sure it meant a lot to some people. Still does. And people still lie under oath today.

Religious oaths in the Middle Ages are not just a court thing. I myself swore 'do fidem' to the corporation of my mediaeval university when I graduated. Guilds have the same deal, so do feudal oaths of fealty. Oaths very much do matter and are taken seriously.

Also who is 'average person' here? Peasants don't go to court but also to a first approximation they simply don't matter in society.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Huggybear posted:

Yes, this.

That said, I was occasionally gone from work but I had a legitimate reason - in the two weeks they reviewed, I went over my calendar - I had two unpaid sick days, a few scheduled and allowable medical appointments, daily lunch breaks, a couple of meetings with clients.

I realize that I also had the habit of answering the company phone outside, so it might look like I leave a lot to talk on my personal phone regularly (the store received about a dozen calls per day, and I am hard of hearing so I need to talk on speaker - multiple lengthy phone calls per day).

Crunching the numbers, it looks like what they did was look at two weeks of normal work days and extrapolate what that adds up to in a year, and accuse me of that amount of absenteeism.

e: do they have the right to refer to sick time off as absenteeism? I guess two days in two weeks is more than usual but I had disclosed I was dealing with a health issue and otherwise had worked the entire year without a sick day or holiday

These are great questions for employment lawyers in your particular jurisdiction!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean there absolutely were some witches. If you tell a thousand people witchcraft is a thing they can try, some fraction are gonna try it.

According to Malleus Maleficarum, for someone to be a witch requires a pact with the devil and the permission of God. Merely reciting spells is not enough. So either the devil and God are real, or there are no witches.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
has god considered not giving permission

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Turns out that guy's a dick. :shrug:

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I heard he died?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I mean there absolutely were some witches. If you tell a thousand people witchcraft is a thing they can try, some fraction are gonna try it.

It only counts as witchcraft if it works otherwise it's just a revenge fantasy.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Huggybear posted:

Yes, this.

Definitely talk to an employment lawyer.

The logic from your employer sounds completely insane. How do they think being sick works? If you get the flu and are sick for 4 days, you don't get to choose to spread those 4 days out once every 3 months or whatever the gently caress. Also talk to your lawyer about the phone calls. If you're in trouble for taking calls like that due to being hard of hearing, your employer might be violating the CHRA.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Dopilsya posted:

The logic from your employer sounds completely insane. How do they think being sick works? If you get the flu and are sick for 4 days, you don't get to choose to spread those 4 days out once every 3 months or whatever the gently caress. Also talk to your lawyer about the phone calls. If you're in trouble for taking calls like that due to being hard of hearing, your employer might be violating the CHRA.
Yes talk to employment lawyer, but jurisdictions in Canada often don't have great laws about providing (even unpaid) sick leave. In BC the minimum requirements are 5 days of paid sick leave and 3 days of unpaid sick leave per year. Most companies are more reasonable than that, of course.

Edit vvv: sure, it sounds like the employer is just making up bullshit in this case, I'm just raising the general idea that taking "too much" sick leave (even unpaid) can get you fired.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 18, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I believe the issue in question is wrongful termination, not unpaid sick leave.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Dopilsya posted:

You, and everyone, excellent advice and thank you. It didn't even occur to me that being hard of hearing is a disability and I should have asked for accommodation.

And yes, my former boss is completely and scarily insane, hardcore libertarian, I am pretty sure the main reason he fired me with cause is because he hates, among other things, the concept of EI.

I don't know if I mentioned it but he was withholding my owed pay (one week salary, two week's vacation), until I sent him and the owners a link that expressly forbids this with no exception in my province regardless of the terms of termination, and they transferred the lump sum within the hour.

And yes, I don't care about the sick time, but upon review I was paid those days. I mean, I was salaried but I know that they adjust for unpaid time off, so that's weird.

Huggybear fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 18, 2023

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My favourite quirk of Canadian employment law is that it’s a provincial domain, unless you work in a federally regulated industry in which case the federal labor code apply.

Except where it doesn’t and worker’s comp is still provincial.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Huggybear posted:

You, and everyone, excellent advice and thank you. It didn't even occur to me that being hard of hearing is a disability and I should have asked for accommodation.

And yes, my former boss is completely and scarily insane, hardcore libertarian, I am pretty sure the main reason he fired me with cause is because he hates, among other things, the concept of EI.

Good luck. Sometimes those kinds of whacko libertarians can functionally be turned into legal piñatas because they keep doubling down on stupid.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

My favourite quirk of Canadian employment law is that it’s a provincial domain, unless you work in a federally regulated industry in which case the federal labor code apply.

Except where it doesn’t and worker’s comp is still provincial.
And EI is federal (although eligibility will depend on your 'economic region' and some provincial laws), and Disability is provincial (except some new federal thing?), and Quebec is doing it's own thing in a bunch of ways. It's all very silly.

Huggybear posted:

...until I sent him and the owners a link ...
This jackass is trying to gently caress you over and he's not the one writing the cheques, what the poo poo, why does he possibly give a poo poo.

Good luck Huggybear, gently caress him up.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Trapick posted:

and Quebec is doing it's own thing in a bunch of ways.

Any bit of legal advice in Canada generally has a big asterisk next to it that says "offer may not be valid in Quebec", yeah.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey, thread.

I live and work in New York state, but not in or near New York City. It's recently come to light that my employer, is rounding our punch times in a very biased way, in favor of the company. A lot of us have begun to take pictures of, and otherwise track, our clock-in and clock-out times. Once word got up to management that that was going on, they held a meeting with all of us to discuss the relevant policies. During the meeting, they clarified that if we clock in up to 14 minutes early, then our time will be rounded to the beginning of the hour. So, if our start time is 7am, and we clock in at any time between 6:46am and 6:59am, then our punch will be rounded to 7am. They also clarified that if we clock out up to 14 minutes late, then our time will be rounded back to the beginning of the hour. So, if our end time is 3pm, and we clock out at any time between 3:01pm and 3:14pm, then our punch will be rounded back to 3pm. They also told us that if our department supervisors need us to begin early, or stay late, that they have the authority to override the rounding and pay us for our time. Further, they told us that if we clock in or out beyond that 14 minute window, and we were not authorized to do so by our supervisor, that we will be subject to disciplinary action. They did not clarify any other scenario in this meeting.

After the meeting, I asked our HR person directly if I could see the relevant company policy that lays out these rules. HR pointed me to our employee handbook, and printed out the relevant section of the appendix for me. Said section has exactly one sentence in it pertaining to what I asked about, which was, paraphrased, 'do not punch in more than 14 minutes before the start of your shift without manager approval.' Well, that did not clarify it for me at all, so I emailed HR to ask for further clarification. I asked if there's any rules regarding punch rounding if we clock in late, or clock out early, or clock in or out outside of the 14 minute window. HR's response was, again paraphrased, 'Go ask the site manager, I'm working remote the rest of the week'.

So, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that in NY state, clock punches are allowed to be rounded, but they must be rounded in a way that is unbiased, and favors neither the employer nor the employee. Further, the maximum time allowed for a punch to be rounded is to the nearest 15 minutes increment. So, in the examples they provided in the meeting, if I were to clock in between 6:46am and 6:52am, then my time would need to be rounded to 6:45am. Similarly, if I clocked in between 7:08am and 7:14am, my time would need to be rounded to 7:15am. And if I clocked in any time between 6:53am and 7:07am, then my time would need to be rounded to 7am.

Now, I've got several pictures of my clock times, and they show pretty clearly how the rounding rules as applied are currently biased in favor of the company. I've got the copy of the "policy" that was printed for me, and I've got the email exchange. What do I do from here? Obviously I'd like to get this corrected, and I'd like to be paid properly for my time. Do I need to get a specific type of lawyer? Is there like, a whistleblower link I can dump this all into anonymously? Or a number to call? Do I have to go downtown to the local Department Of Labor office and hand them this stuff in person? What do I do here? I tried to google up a link or relevant page in the NY.gov site and I couldn't find it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That's a super specific question no lawyer will answer here other than to tell you to contact a local employment attorney for a consultation.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Line up another job no matter what though, because if you do move forward with this your work life is likely to become real unpleasant.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

It already is, yeah. This specific issue is just one of many, and is the most clearly-legal one.

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's a super specific question no lawyer will answer here other than to tell you to contact a local employment attorney for a consultation.

So the answer is "call a lawyer" then. I will head along that route, thank you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

neogeo0823 posted:

So the answer is "call a lawyer" then. I will head along that route, thank you.

Note: I am not saying you have a case or are correct in your interpretation of time clock issues and whatnot. I have no clue. I'm just saying that no one here whose job it is to give legal advice will give legal advice on such a specific question. A consultation with a local employment attorney will clarify the rules for you while also providing you potential avenues going forward. If you do have a valid claim, they'll layout the process and potential recovery.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Note: I am not saying you have a case or are correct in your interpretation of time clock issues and whatnot. I have no clue. I'm just saying that no one here whose job it is to give legal advice will give legal advice on such a specific question. A consultation with a local employment attorney will clarify the rules for you while also providing you potential avenues going forward. If you do have a valid claim, they'll layout the process and potential recovery.

Right, yeah, that's how I interpenetrated your reply. I'm not trying to get some huge payday from this or anything, I just want it to stop. I don't care if they round our punches as long as they do it fairly, and per the law. I was hoping that there was like, an anonymous whistleblower form or something I could dump all this into have the DoL look into it on their own, but I couldn't find anything like that. The closest I got was a bunch of law firm websites, and a letter from 2009.

EDIT: Oh hey, I found a form to fill out. Uh, should I still go consult with the lawyer, or should I dump my info into this? Or both? Or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Call employment lawyers and show them your documentary proof. Ask them what else you should do.