Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/andylevy/status/1692592563662852157

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Someone explain why removing blocking is a bad thing?

In this hypothetical scenario, if Elon blocked me then I wouldn’t be able to see anything he tweeted unless I logged out of my account, at which point I would see everything he tweeted.

I guess I don’t see how this feature even makes sense at all because I can bypass someone blocking me by just logging out?

I feel like I should always be able to see tweets from people regardless of whether they’ve blocked me or not. If I don’t want to see them, then the onus should be on me to block them on my account. No?

:ssh: not everyone's account is public. If you have your account set to private, only people you allow to follow you can see your tweets. Great if you're say, a battered ex-wife hiding three states over but would like to use twitter.

Also some people block people who follow them around, replying to every tweet with "how DARE you Mr. President Cheeto!!" within seconds, so that at the least they can't get clout and eyes back on their main account from being :firstpost: on every one of their tweets.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Because if some cryptoshit spam bot is spamming my replies, and I mute them, then anyone following me has to wade through that poo poo too, so they get to exploit whatever popularity I have (which isn't much) to spam my followers.

If I block them, then they no longer appear in my replies.

Repeat this problem for any other reason someone would want to spam all of someone's followers.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Boris Galerkin posted:

In this hypothetical scenario, if Elon blocked me then I wouldn’t be able to see anything he tweeted unless I logged out of my account, at which point I would see everything he tweeted.

I guess I don’t see how this feature even makes sense at all because I can bypass someone blocking me by just logging out?

I feel like I should always be able to see tweets from people regardless of whether they’ve blocked me or not. If I don’t want to see them, then the onus should be on me to block them on my account. No?

Because people can and will follow you and read your tweets then make secondary accounts that aren't blocked to harass you with when you post something they dislike. They could do that to follow you too but the rage subsidies when you have to switch accounts constantly.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can't even view comments anymore without logging in at all. Logging out makes 90% of the site non-functional now.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

Not anymore, because Musk has deliberately broken most of Twitter's functionality while logged out.

If you look at someone's timeline while logged out, you don't see their tweets in chronological order anymore. Instead, they're listed in descending order based on amount of likes, which makes it functionally impossible to see what that person has tweeted recently. Even if you get someone to link you to a specific tweet, you'll only see that one tweet - you don't see any replies, and if it's part of a thread, you don't see the rest of the thread either. And there's nagscreens and login walls everywhere.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Mischievous Mink posted:

You can't even view comments anymore without logging in at all. Logging out makes 90% of the site non-functional now.

As always, logging out solves all our problems!

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

As always, logging out solves all our problems!

If you're still having problems after logging out, try closing the tab with twixxer open.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do you think there was ever a point when Elon Musk was under a doctor’s care and able to control his mental illness? I’m divided on him quitting meds at some point vs just being undiagnosed his whole life but losing the ability to manage it himself as he got more and more notoriety and started being the one to make decisions for his various holdings.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think being a rich rear end in a top hat is a mental illness

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Boris Galerkin posted:

So, assume I'm a person with an online stalker, or I was a target in Gamergate, or am a sex worker, or committed the sin of being visibly female online.

I mute my stalker:
1. As mentioned upthread, stalker continues to reply to my tweets, exposing my *real* followers to their abuse.
2. Stalker can retweet my posts and encourage other people to stalk me. Their linking my tweet makes it trivial for other people to jump into my timeline.
3. Stalker can @ me into conversations.
4. I can't see stalker's post.

I block my stalker:
1. Can't reply.
2. Can't quote-tweet. They can tweet screencaps, but a screencap doesn't link directly to my account.
3. Can't @ me.
4. I still can't see their post, yay. And (yes, I feel spiteful about this) whenever they see a thread I'm participating in, they can also see that they're not welcome to see my posts.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

Do you think there was ever a point when Elon Musk was under a doctor’s care and able to control his mental illness? I’m divided on him quitting meds at some point vs just being undiagnosed his whole life but losing the ability to manage it himself as he got more and more notoriety and started being the one to make decisions for his various holdings.

I think we should have learned by now that malignant narcissism is not a maladaptive personality trait for the rich.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

steinrokkan posted:

I don't think being a rich rear end in a top hat is a mental illness

Yeah but he’s not even being a rich rear end in a top hat well. He’s destroying tens of billions of dollars of value and making everyone except his immediate social circle hate him

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
yes he's much less smart than he thinks is. again, not a mental illness and quite common among the rich

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Nuclear Spoon posted:

yes he's much less smart than he thinks is. again, not a mental illness and quite common among the rich
The Dunning-Krugerrand Effect.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
His whole strategy banks on the idea that twitter has no competition and users will never leave despite how many ads they are forcefed

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

nachos posted:

His whole strategy banks on the idea that twitter has no competition and users will never leave despite how many ads they are forcefed
I leave when they do:
I'm not seeing these concentrated anywhere else.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

nachos posted:

Given how despite repeated times in the last year people made a stink about leaving for the latest "Twitter Killer" only to inevitably come crawling back a couple weeks later, this has proven to be a surprisingly effective strategy thus far!

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Tree Reformat posted:

Given how despite repeated times in the last year people made a stink about leaving for the latest "Twitter Killer" only to inevitably come crawling back a couple weeks later, this has proven to be a surprisingly effective strategy thus far!

Blue Sky seems to be picking up a bit following Musk’s recent announcement. It’s still nowhere close to being as active as Twitter though.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
BlueSky can’t replace Twitter until it a) has open registration and b) you can see posts without an account

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

whydirt posted:

BlueSky can’t replace Twitter until it a) has open registration and b) you can see posts without an account
For now, here's a way to view ALL the posts: https://firesky.tv/

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tree Reformat posted:

Not really, Twitter has less users now. Like, some did what you said, but others really did leave for good and there aren't a lot of new users coming in.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Monterey Bay Aquarium had the best farewell tweet of all the other day.

https://twitter.com/MontereyAq/status/1691918497708994915
https://twitter.com/MontereyAq/status/1691918503899742582

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's a great aquarium.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's a great aquarium.

Can confirm

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Yes, but those are not the hell their whales

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

Yes, but those are not the hell their whales

So did Captain Kirk cause the extinction of humpback whales in the Star Trek 80s in the first place by taking the last ones into the future?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yupperrooo. And while you're there, do go to the section that explains why Monterey was briefly a leading sardine cannery, and how the economy collapsed when the sardines moved on. Not as cool as the fishies, but nonetheless fascinating.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

whydirt posted:

Everything I've seen suggests that the first point is going to be the main roadblock because they built the entire dumb thing on a technological base that is just not scalable at all.

I think Threads is more likely to succeed solely for that reason, if they would hurry the gently caress up with the web version.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

OneEightHundred posted:

Everything I've seen suggests that the first point is going to be the main roadblock because they built the entire dumb thing on a technological base that is just not scalable at all.

What's wrong with their tech?

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

koolkal posted:

What's wrong with their tech?

If I remember the numbers from the other day, a few thousand registrations brought the site to its knees. They need to work on scalability if they're going to compete.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Twitter's early code scaled horribly too, so jack clearly sees that as key to the success of a website

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I haven't looked at a single Bluesky... post(?) yet because they don't let you see them without being logged in.

Everyone rightly complained when Twitter blocked access to tweets without being logged in and yet dipshits keep scrambling to join this stupid Jack-sponsored alternative which does exactly the same thing. They're even worse than Twitter in some ways from what I understand in that they have the users making their own blocklists rather than doing their own moderation.

I've been using Mastodon and been pretty happy with it. Firefish is also a promising alternative to Mastodon, built on same Activity pup api. It was branched from the japanese Misskey project a bit ago. It has a much more modern UI than Mastodon, though there's a few features it's missing, so I've not migrated over yet.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I feel like if Mastodon were going to overtake Twitter, it would have by now. As it is the decentralization theme just makes it overcomplicated and... decentralized.

Threads somehow launched without a bunch of stone age basic features, like a desktop app, which is simply wild. Might have something to do with the music stopping on interest rates that a lot of these companies can't seem to launch anything correctly.

It's also run by a guy who really only delegates better than Musk, other than that they are roughly the same person ideologically. Imagine even entertaining having a boxing match with Musk. It takes a lot to push Meta out of the papers for stories about sheer executive incompetence/malice, and Musk did it.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
it was not until very recently that you could even upload to instagram from their desktop website lol

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Name Change posted:

I feel like if Mastodon were going to overtake Twitter, it would have by now. As it is the decentralization theme just makes it overcomplicated and... decentralized.

Everybody likes the idea of decentralization in concept, but it turns out in practice no they don't. People want everyone lumped together in one giant public square, and then have all the people they don't like barred from it explicitly as punishment.

When folks want smaller decentralized chat, they get on Discord or whatever. Twitter/Bluesky is for farming dopamine hits and brand building from the masses.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Elon's latest great idea is not going over well with the CHUDs, and I'm talking about the biggest, loudest CHUDs.

https://twitter.com/Humbowumbo/status/1693227937707753494?s=20

https://twitter.com/halomancer1/status/1693240713755152540?s=20

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Elon blocked Catturd, the irony of everything...
https://twitter.com/oliver_drk/status/1693248856111100115?s=20
If you're not remembering who Catturd is, he's a big Trump Twitter user who was banned under original Twitter management but brought back by Elon and Elon used to take his advice on how to run the site. But there was a falling out as Catturd realized that Musk was slowly wrecking the site with his incompetent actions. He was also one of the few big time chuds who didn't get paid off when Elon was throwing around the payola from his ad-revenue-sharing scheme. It looks like the last straw was Catturd mouthing off about keeping the block feature.

According to another reply in this thread, it looks like Musk blocked James Woods as well and a lot of people who were directly asking to keep the block feature.

e:fb

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Did Jenny Tightpants used to post on SA? That name sounds so familiar to me for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Who’s catturd? I only know catturd2