Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Getting Mad At Videogames is the worst game I've played in months but I don't know how to stop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I finished the Quake 1 remaster base campaign now as well. don’t care what anyone thinks, quake 2 is better. but man nothing beats quake 1’s weird rear end eldritch gothic setting

gently caress the slime things tho

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

MonkeyforaHead posted:

Update: Rockstar's launcher is busted. Their password recovery system is busted. The only way to actually contact support is via the support website with a "hijacked account" ticket, during which the "attach relevant documents for your request" function is ALSO busted. I actually did manage to get a response to my ticket, though, and I need to provide more verification that I am the owner of the account. It was pretty prompt, and a simple request for info I have on hand!

...To actually respond to the support ticket that I created, I need to log into the account I am trying to recover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egKftAClY_8&t=6s

small indie dev

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Tying your game to a whole separate launcher ecosystem on top of Steam's launcher ecosystem is a great way to make sure I never play your game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Bad Seafood posted:

Tying your game to a whole separate launcher ecosystem on top of Steam's launcher ecosystem is a great way to make sure I never play your game.

:same:

I hate it when they do add a separate launcher in a “patch”.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

LLSix posted:

I hate it when they do add a separate launcher in a “patch”.

Like this classic from 2K:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The Rockstar Launcher is exceptionally awful. When they moved GTA V to it, it didn't recognize the install it just launched from and tried to download and install the game from scratch. It also constantly made me log in and solve captchas even if login credentials were supposedly saved, and it removed the ability to play the GTA V campaign in offline mode.

Sadly there are a lot of complete morons supporting these idiots by constantly buying more shark cards :shrug:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

rockstar just really hates PC for some reason, they never bothered to backport the engine improvements from GTA5s PS5/XSX version to PC, and now the PC version is missing out on certain GTAO content that's only released for the new engine

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Wow, that surprises me. Especially because I'm guessing all the streamers are playing the PC version.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

don't most/all of the GTA streamers play on modded RP servers anyway? not the official servers where rockstar gets to push their microtransactions

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Walh Hara posted:

I've only played Shadow Gambit for a few hours but it seems like a masterpiece once again. The extra flexibility in who you pick feels awesome.

Two questions:
1) Do you get to revive everyone? It seems like you only need to revive 5 to continue the main quest, but there are 6 characters who you can choose from.

You do get to revive everyone.

Walh Hara posted:

2) Any recommendations w.r.t. who to revive first?

I picked John Maloney (after getting Toya) and he's amazing, really fun ability. Is there anyone who has the "link two enemies" ability that Isabel had?

Toya, Suleidy, and Quentin make a strong team with extremely useful distraction & body removal skills, good basic mobility, and fast melee kills. This trio's only real weakness is short range.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

repiv posted:

rockstar just really hates PC for some reason, they never bothered to backport the engine improvements from GTA5s PS5/XSX version to PC, and now the PC version is missing out on certain GTAO content that's only released for the new engine

because their old rear end engine is very easily hacked, letting people just cheat and give themselves paid stuff

which the consoles can do, too, but not as easily as googling like red dead gold or something. probably more viruses.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, Ratchet & Clank is just a videogame-rear end-videogame. It's a joy to play.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
crossposting from the Outer Wilds thread since it seems pretty dead:

A friend of mine is having issues with crashes in Outer Wilds, I did some searching but couldn't find anything that seemed helpful.

quote:

it looks like a video driver thing because my screens do that very fast flicker thing and then the game just freezes. audio continues but no novel activity occurs - but it's not the hardlock looping of audio. program never recovers and becomes responsive. i have tried everything obvious like drivers and a fresh install, no particular trigger or cause and seems to happen at random

his computer's specs also blow it out of the water so it's not that. there was a dx12 fix that some people swore by but it apparently didnt help. anyone have any ideas what might be happening?

Objective Action
Jun 10, 2007

Not outer wilds specific but I had very similar stuff with a game recently that was driving me nuts. After days of troubleshooting I noticed my video card was really slightly sagging when I was pulling it out to re-seat it. Like I had to bust out a level to check it slight sag. Its a 3090 and I guess after a couple years it finally pulled the pins on the slot juuuust far enough out of alignment that when it stressed the card just right it was causing driver crashes for video but not audio.

After a full reseat, tightening up the screws, and getting a brace for the far end of the card I haven't had it recur. No guarantee that's your buddies issue but I spent days checking drivers, voltages, temps, etc. Might be worth a look!

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

yeah i was having BSODs recently and game freezing but audio continuing, couldnt figure it out until i opened up my case, cleaned a fuckload of dust out of everything, and reseated my ram

not sure which of those two it was but that fixed it

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

once i'm done with the quake 1 expacs i've installed turoks 1 & 2, alien vs predator 2000, xiii classic, and doom64 to the deck

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

Man, Ratchet & Clank is just a videogame-rear end-videogame. It's a joy to play.

IMO it is Insomniac's best game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The only other one of theirs I've played was Sunset Overdrive because it's the only other one on PC. Also a blast.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Dove into the Hammerwatch 1 remake which they launched at the same time as HW2 (Hammerwatch Anniversary Edition), and it's a total blast. Same old Hammerwatch but with little tweaks all around, Sun Temple included, another campaign based on the Heroes of Hammerwatch town/dungeon, and everything in the gorgeous new pixel art they made for HW2. Mods from the original aren't compatible, but there's still full workshop support. And local coop, unlike HW2... Hope they upgrade Heroes to that engine at some point.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i'm obsessed with suleidy in shadow gambit. throwing a bush anywhere is so incredibly broken. this includes on top of corpses, which disposes of them almost instantly. you can hide behind someone in a bush, kill them, then pop a new bush on top of the body hiding both it and yourself.

Yeah I almost always take her, it's just too useful to be able to position her and teammates closer to enemies. I'm also a huge fan of the guy with the anchor, he's great. His hiding doesn't help other crew members but he's a great line breaker/infiltrator.

I love Shadow Gambit so far. The tone, story, voice acting, and gameplay of gambit is just fun as hell. They knocked it out of the park this time.

Desperados 3 did NOT do it for me like this one is, not sure why but I may go give it another try after this one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Play posted:

I'm also a huge fan of the guy with the anchor, he's great. His hiding doesn't help other crew members but he's a great line breaker/infiltrator.

I don't have his vigor upgrade yet but he can get the ability to pull crewmates under with him.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

It's come up a few times in here but I sat down and effortposted about STARSIEGE: DEADZONE if any goons are interested in checking it out or joining me to die horribly in space:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4039864

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Old man here, finally carved out a few minutes for some nostalgia gaming with quake 2 and seriously gently caress you to whoever made the berserkers able to loving leap across the map because I almost had a heart attack

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

quake 2 is janky as gently caress. it's doing a lot of interesting stuff for its time but also a lot of the level design is just straight-up horseshit where the same level will have monster closets all across it but also still just teleport enemies directly in front of you. sometimes you'll activate monster closets and enemies will teleport behind you. and nothing feels worse than having to wait for your gun animation to finish before you can change weapons in a fast paced shooter - come on guys!

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Ghostlight posted:

quake 2 is janky as gently caress. it's doing a lot of interesting stuff for its time but also a lot of the level design is just straight-up horseshit where the same level will have monster closets all across it but also still just teleport enemies directly in front of you. sometimes you'll activate monster closets and enemies will teleport behind you. and nothing feels worse than having to wait for your gun animation to finish before you can change weapons in a fast paced shooter - come on guys!

Lol, all of id software games do this.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Play posted:

Yeah I almost always take her, it's just too useful to be able to position her and teammates closer to enemies. I'm also a huge fan of the guy with the anchor, he's great. His hiding doesn't help other crew members but he's a great line breaker/infiltrator.

I love Shadow Gambit so far. The tone, story, voice acting, and gameplay of gambit is just fun as hell. They knocked it out of the park this time.

Desperados 3 did NOT do it for me like this one is, not sure why but I may go give it another try after this one.

Agree, I hope it becomes another success, I want to see more games from these developers in this genre. They keep improving them as well.

The balance changes are really interesting. All attacks are single target and take a lot more time to execute, which really favors the "stealth" approach versus the "shoot it out" approach from desperados 3. On the other hand hit-and-run tactics are a lot easier: Toya and John are pretty much invincible while not in the middle of an attack and there are various ways to save/rescue others. So instead triggering an alarm being an all-or-nothing decision (can we kill the enemies before they kill us?) now it's more about whether you can escape after the alarm.

It also feels like the missions are a lot shorter. In other games I often needed more than 1 hour to complete a mission, whereas in shadow gambit 20~30 min missions are quite normal. But it wouldn't surprise me if there are way more missions to compensate, I got a "10% overall completion" achievement after 8 missions or so.

Walh Hara fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Aug 20, 2023

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

crabs

https://twitter.com/playismJP/status/1693255848691413473

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
That's one shell of a good-looking game.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've always wanted to be a giant space crab (yes that's actually Gaben)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Finally getting into Chorus and while it's not exactly my dream space game, it's certainly in the right ballpark compared to the other 99%. Seems like an alright AA game so far.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Yukes should hire them and make a good EDF side game.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Well, I just completed Pathologic 2: was an incredibly memorable (and stressful) game! Got pretty addicted to it and kept playing on and on at a fevered pace, both from how immersive and deep the experience was, and from how I wanted to be quickly free from its real-life physical and mental damage it was causing me, haha. All in all, I felt like I did a pretty decent job at playing plague doctor, especially for a first go that refused to save scum and did it all on Imago as intended. People who enjoy games with a rich, mysterious world/lore and unorthodox meta gameplay design that enriches the experience and challenges your moral compass, like Disco Elysium or Vampyr or Darkwood or Undertale or Majora's Mask: I strongly recommend you give this a go.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Yukes should hire them and make a good EDF side game.

Edf 6 my beloved…

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

FutureCop posted:

Well, I just completed Pathologic 2: was an incredibly memorable (and stressful) game! Got pretty addicted to it and kept playing on and on at a fevered pace, both from how immersive and deep the experience was, and from how I wanted to be quickly free from its real-life physical and mental damage it was causing me, haha. All in all, I felt like I did a pretty decent job at playing plague doctor, especially for a first go that refused to save scum and did it all on Imago as intended. People who enjoy games with a rich, mysterious world/lore and unorthodox meta gameplay design that enriches the experience and challenges your moral compass, like Disco Elysium or Vampyr or Darkwood or Undertale or Majora's Mask: I strongly recommend you give this a go.

Any new player tips or should I just go in blind?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

err posted:

- savescumming is encouraged, to the point where the game itself tacitly approves of it in dialogue
- guns are a curiosity at best. get a knife and keep it maintained and it'll get you through every combat encounter worth noting
- several quests exist to punish "video game logic" where just because an objective exists means it should be completed. sometimes tasks are better left ignored
- the economy runs on barter. money is secondary to trading with the townspeople and everyone has different standards of value. nuts and needles are especially prized by the town's children
- accept failure. pathologic 2's mission objective is to see how the player reacts to desperate circumstances and unless you have foreknowledge with a guide you won't be able to account for every twist. prioritize your inner circle and otherwise save who you can

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!

err posted:

Absolutely go in blind and just let the weirdness wash over you.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

err posted:

Hmm, for the most part it's definitely something that you should go in blind, play on intended Imago difficulty and just deal with it as best as you can without save scumming too much (it's ok for experimenting and it is expected by the devs, just realize that you can't do everything perfectly as there is too much to do and too little time): the game generally does a good job at tutorializing everything, though it can be a bit vague in its delivery.

In terms of facts that I wasn't aware of that felt like they should've been more obvious and some other weird tips:

*You can disperse plague clouds by lighting your lantern and carrying it around.

*Sprinting/jumping/combat only affects your stamina/thirst meter, it doesn't affect exhaustion, which is only affected by time.

*You don't get as hungry when you sleep than you do when you're awake. Similar to above, hunger isn't affected by sprinting and such, only time.

*Certain clothes deal with certain things better: masks for plague clouds, cloaks for plague people touching you, gloves for opening plague containers, shoes for general plague air protection. Shoes are the most important, and while the others still give some manner of plague air protection as well and combat protection, they can be potentially ignored if you don't deal with their associated situations (for example I didn't bother with gloves since I didn't raid plague containers).

*It pays to keep your equipment in good repair as for every tier they drop, the materials needed to repair it back up get more and more costly. For example, shoes require a thimble to repair when above 50%, but going below 50% means you need a thimble and thread to get it back to 50%, then another thimble to get back up to 100% as said before.

*However, the effectiveness of equipment doesn't go down with durability to my knowledge, just the cost of repairs goes up considerably.

*Herbs don't actually spawn into the world for you to collect until Day 2, so don't waste time searching despite the townspeople mentioning them. When they do spawn, they are generally around town, and near landmarks out in the steppe, like rivers or rocks.

*If you beat up a bandit and they surrender, you can mug/loot them if you wait a second for them to fully stop and put their hands up. This is actually a different set of loot than what they drop if you kill/KO them, for some reason. Yes, you can double-dip by mugging and then killing.

*Blocking is good because it restores stamina faster in a fight, but if you block too much, the enemy will be compelled to strike you with a powerful blow. Don't turtle too much: balance is key.

*Stealth is done by using the 'C' key, and if you get right up behind someone, you can do a powerful backstab or a powerful head-thump with your fists.

*Don't use your scalpel for fighting if you can avoid it: they're not built for such crude work and get damaged very easily compared to a knife or lockpick (yes, lockpicks can be used as disposable weapons).

*While the game will warn you that 'they will know' (aka reputation penalty) if you try to autopsy someone, that's only if you take their organs (and its a hit for each individual organ taken): draining blood is actually fine for some reason.

*Speaking of taking organs, while this is generally frowned upon with a rep penalty, you can actually do this with the corpses in the hospital with no penalty.

*There are two economies: money and bartering, with bartering being the more difficult to grasp but more important one for long-term success. Certain people prize certain items more and you can get in a real straw millionaire situation with your dumpster/trash can diving and trades if you learn their likes (each model of person represents certain loot and likes). Kids are great: don't eat nuts because these are like gold to kids with each type of kid having their favorite type, and save little toys and sharp objects for them as well (but maybe not safety pins, as those are used for repairs). Militiamen are difficult to trade with as they will only accept weapons like lockpicks and knifes, but they do have good stuff.

*Baubles like rings and watches and charms are great cash items to sell for money instead of bartering, but for some reason groceries will pay you less than other stores for them.

*It pays to go to the pantomimes, as weird as they are, since afterwards they will give you hints to a nighttime secret, as long as you have enough time after the play before dawn breaks...

*An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Some other tips at "before you play" site: https://beforeiplay.com/index.php?title=Pathologic_2

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Aug 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FutureCop posted:

*Stealth is done by using the 'C' key, and if you get right up behind someone, you can do a powerful backstab or a powerful head-thump with your fists.

emphasizing this one because it only comes up in a loading screen tooltip and oh boy is it important