Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Fhqwhgads posted:

Not sure if this goes here or the headphones thread, but I'm using a pair of Galaxy Buds+ with my Pixel 7 Pro and is it normal for BT to have a massive amount of audio lag? I feel it's like a full second behind what I'm seeing on the screen.

Some level of delay is inherent to bluetooth unfortunately. There are different codecs that may be faster but they're not supported by all devices. If you're watching video content then your phone should sync with the delayed audio but if you're playing games you're out of luck. I started carrying a pair of wired earbuds for when I travelled with my Steam Deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
OK so it's normal and not just me, thanks!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fhqwhgads posted:

A whole second seems on the longer end of the bell curve, though.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is there a Samsung companion app for those Buds? I only ask because I have a pair of JBL Tune 230NC that I use with my Pixel 7P and JBL has a very nice app for them that includes a "video mode" which seems to reduce the delay to almost imperceptible. I say almost because the delay will never be zero, but it's really good for Bluetooth.

I only ask because maybe the Samsung buds have a similar option?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I did just find an app for them and ask going to try that for a similar "fix".

Edit: The Samsung app is supposed to have a "game" option available but it's for Samsung phones only. Ah well, I'll live.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 19, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My carrier (Freedom Mobile in Canada) recently rolled out 5G, and I had to argue with a guy at one of their stores to give me a new sim card. He kept insisting my OnePlus 9 Pro probably didn't support it. Inserting the new SIM did not immediately work. The network option menu only showed 4g/3g/2g, 3g/2g or 2g-only.

Googling, *#*#4636#*#* supposedly was supposed to be a workaround, but it wouldn't launch for me even after clearing the dialler cache.

Finally installed an app that surfaced the network selection menu and ... 5G works perfectly. Weird.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I have zero noticeable lag with my Pixel 7 to bluetooth audio devices, which is 3 headphone sets, 2 speakers, and the car.

\/ video and games, though mostly stuff like card game and board game apps. The sounds are synced with the animations and taps and all though.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 19, 2023

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

no noticeable lag doing what? as mentioned before, android will delay video playback to synchronize it with the audio when there's audio latency, but it can't do that for anything realtime (games)

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
There are also low-lag modes for many bluetooth audio devices, and many switch to that from the high quality one when you use them for a call. But they might stay in high-lag mode for games.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
In Windows 11 I found it was enabled some weird built in audio processing poo poo by default causing massive latency on Bluetooth headphones, turned it off and it was fine for gaming. I'm guessing the same here

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is there a way to prevent a specific app from using that full screen Game Mode? There's one simple word puzzle game I play and having to swipe multiple times to switch apps or go to the home screen or access my media controls drives me nuts for some reason. I am not bothered by this when I play other games.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA

Aware posted:

In Windows 11 I found it was enabled some weird built in audio processing poo poo by default causing massive latency on Bluetooth headphones, turned it off and it was fine for gaming. I'm guessing the same here

Wait, how do you do that? That might explain why my iHome has major audio delays when Bluetooth connected to my pc.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008
Samsung buds also use their own Bluetooth codec on samsung phones

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Is there a way to pick which folders are shown in the main ("Photos") tab in Google photos? I've just started using bluesky and if you save an image from there it automatically saves it to the DCIM folder (with no obvious way to change this), but even if I move it to my downloads folder it still shows up on the main screen, whereas other images saved directly to downloads don't. So now I have a bunch of dumb internet pictures mixed in with my photos.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

oh no computer posted:

Is there a way to pick which folders are shown in the main ("Photos") tab in Google photos? I've just started using bluesky and if you save an image from there it automatically saves it to the DCIM folder (with no obvious way to change this), but even if I move it to my downloads folder it still shows up on the main screen, whereas other images saved directly to downloads don't. So now I have a bunch of dumb internet pictures mixed in with my photos.

It should only show photos that are synced with the cloud in the main Photos tab. You should be able to turn sync off in any folders with images, under Library->Photos on Device. Downloads is probably already unchecked (not syncing). It's probably syncing the random images before you move them, and deleting them from within the main Photos tab should remove them there (while leaving the copy in Downloads alone).

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

Cool, now the Google Now/Discover/whatever feed shows sponsored ads every 3 or 4 cards.

Guess I'll be ditching the Pixel launcher for something else. Remind me why I keep buying Pixel phones?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I would love to know what I'm doing because I've never had an Ad in the discover feed.

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I would love to know what I'm doing because I've never had an Ad in the discover feed.

I would have said the same thing an hour ago.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I turned discover off long ago and am happier for it. Google never figured out my news and interests, kept sending me dumbass listicles and ads. You can do the same in chrome easily.

I'm all about ML/AI etc but based on my Google TV interfaces and discover experiences there is a long long way to go on those systems.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

owls or something posted:

Cool, now the Google Now/Discover/whatever feed shows sponsored ads every 3 or 4 cards.

Guess I'll be ditching the Pixel launcher for something else. Remind me why I keep buying Pixel phones?

Curious if those would be caught and removed by something like Pi Hole or NextDNS.

You could flash GrapheneOS onto it and have absolutely no Google stuff and a good number of security features.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I get an ad about every 7-9 cards. It's either from a car company, or a PC/Tech company. I guess it's not too surprising considering my online presence is pretty into automotive and tech stuff. Hey at least it's not the absolute dumpster fire that is ads on something like Facebook or X.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

On both of my Google Chromecast With Google TV devices, I've replaced the ad-tastic launcher with F-Launcher.

On both devices, the YouTube app just spins and spins now, never moving past the full screen logo. If I use the assistant to search for funny cat videos, I get results, but when I go to log in, it's spin city again.

Assuming this is the most adjacent thread for this gadget, have any other goons experienced this, or even fixed it?

e: apparently I can no longer locate bugs in the mobile version of gitlab. This behavior has a ticket: it's something Google broke. Jerks.

cruft fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 22, 2023

owls or something
Jul 7, 2003

For example:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
RSS stays winning.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Blurb3947 posted:

Curious if those would be caught and removed by something like Pi Hole or NextDNS.

Yes but it only gets rid of the thumbnail, usually

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

cruft posted:

On both of my Google Chromecast With Google TV devices, I've replaced the ad-tastic launcher with F-Launcher.

On both devices, the YouTube app just spins and spins now, never moving past the full screen logo. If I use the assistant to search for funny cat videos, I get results, but when I go to log in, it's spin city again.

Assuming this is the most adjacent thread for this gadget, have any other goons experienced this, or even fixed it?

e: apparently I can no longer locate bugs in the mobile version of gitlab. This behavior has a ticket: it's something Google broke. Jerks.

Install smarttubenext - no ads, and sponsorblock

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

There's a rumor that the Pixel 8 might follow in Apple's footsteps and go eSim only for the Pixel 8 and I really hope it's not true. I quite enjoy being able to swap sims between devices.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

If it ends up being true, I'll probably just chill with my Pixel Fold and my plethora of other Android devices for awhile.

I'm not buying an eSIM only device. gently caress giving device control back to the carriers.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Had my Fold 5 for a week now. I upgraded from the Fold 3, not because I particularly wanted to, but because I had been rocking it without warranty for a year and a half and although it was perfect, I have read stories of the inner screen just randomly breaking one day.

Samsung offered a particularly great trade-in, so despite not knowing anything about the Fold 5 (except Mr Mobile having zero excitement for it) I bit the bullet.

I'm glad I did! Coming from the 3, the phone feels so much lighter and nicer to hold. It feels more premium, and it's definitely snappier. The battery life is better, and it completely folds open now (seriously, the hinge is leaps and bounds better). I don't take too many pics but the camera is definitely better. Flex mode owns.

Samsung has come so far in terms of Android experience. Their Smart Switch app had everything copied over quickly, even all my settings. I'm just really enjoying this phone. I could never go back to a non-foldable. I just wish I had the Flip as well. Coming from the 4 it#s probably not worth it, but from a 3 it's a lovely upgrade.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

It should only show photos that are synced with the cloud in the main Photos tab. You should be able to turn sync off in any folders with images, under Library->Photos on Device. Downloads is probably already unchecked (not syncing). It's probably syncing the random images before you move them, and deleting them from within the main Photos tab should remove them there (while leaving the copy in Downloads alone).
You're correct that only the camera folder syncs to cloud, but I just tried copying the images from camera to downloads and then deleting the image from camera and it still shows the image in photos. If I instead try to delete the image from the photos tab then it deletes both copies.

Edit: oh, you have to also delete them from the bin too before they disappear from photos. Dumb process imo but at least I know what to do now

oh no computer fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Aug 22, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mental Hospitality posted:

There's a rumor that the Pixel 8 might follow in Apple's footsteps and go eSim only for the Pixel 8 and I really hope it's not true. I quite enjoy being able to swap sims between devices.

That'll probably only be the US version though.
Like if you buy a euro model iphone 14 today it'll still have to have an actual sim slot. Presumably google will run into the same regulations.

Though if you buy a foreign phone model you might have to do some annoying research to make sure its radio supports the right frequency bands since iirc mobile data standards are different in different countries.

I had an older xperia smartphone I had bought on amazon randomly stop working on AT&T's network and it turned out it was because it was a UK model. AT&T had shut off some old frequency bands in the US and the new "standard" ones weren't standard in England so my phone didn't support them.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 23, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I've been using a OnePlus 7T for the past couple of years and have been happy with it. Is the 10T worth upgrading to?

Or Hmm... Maybe the Nord 2 instead?

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 24, 2023

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

teethgrinder posted:

My carrier (Freedom Mobile in Canada) recently rolled out 5G, and I had to argue with a guy at one of their stores to give me a new sim card. He kept insisting my OnePlus 9 Pro probably didn't support it. Inserting the new SIM did not immediately work. The network option menu only showed 4g/3g/2g, 3g/2g or 2g-only.

Googling, *#*#4636#*#* supposedly was supposed to be a workaround, but it wouldn't launch for me even after clearing the dialler cache.

Finally installed an app that surfaced the network selection menu and ... 5G works perfectly. Weird.
:lol: discovered I accidentally cut my voice service doing this. Tbh I consider that a feature, but my girlfriend was annoyed...

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

There's been a slow region-based rollout of these for a while. Once you've seen the first you'll always get them going forth.

I just transposed everything I was interested to feedly a while ago and haven't looked back. It's paid plan kinda sucks but the free version more than replaces the "dump in a feed" thing Google's news does. You can make a couple of custom feeds for free.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Interesting notification from a Motorola app I can't uninstall from this Android 8.1 phone. Can't go in the app without agreeing with a license agreement. Exploited vulnerability? Some dolt at Motorola's offices? Doesn't feel shady at all. That's not my name, btw. Maybe it's time to finally deny this thing internet access.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like Motorola misfired something.

https://gokeyless.vn/device-help-test-for-ricardo-motorola-reddit/

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Thanks, that's... Ok then. Interesting notion to simply add 'reddit' to the title of an article to game seo. That's half clever. Also shame about the ai blowing up three sentences worth of information to something with chapters and subchapters. I guess that's just how it is now. Sorry, don't mean to complain, it's reassuring that I'm not being targeted.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:rubby:

I just checked, and sure enough my Motorola One 5G Ace just gave me the Test for Ricardo notification when I started it up.

Goddamnit, I really need to get around to trying out LineageOS on that phone. Motorola abandoned the phone this February, but I've been dragging my feet since I've never installed a custom ROM before and it's my secondary phone, so it just stays off most of the time.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Goddamnit, I really need to get around to trying out LineageOS on that phone. Motorola abandoned the phone this February, but I've been dragging my feet since I've never installed a custom ROM before and it's my secondary phone, so it just stays off most of the time.

Way back in the day I installed a custom ROM on an HTC phone bringing it from Android 2.2 to 4.0. Not sure if it's easier now, but it wasn't mind shattering either. Hardest thing was browsing the xda subforum and picking a build. It was like the wild west of custom roms. I think the actual process was like:
1. Install some software on your PC
2. Change a setting in the phone
3. Connect phone to pc
4. Open a CMD prompt and type in exactly what it says to type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mental Hospitality posted:

Way back in the day I installed a custom ROM on an HTC phone bringing it from Android 2.2 to 4.0. Not sure if it's easier now, but it wasn't mind shattering either. Hardest thing was browsing the xda subforum and picking a build. It was like the wild west of custom roms. I think the actual process was like:
1. Install some software on your PC
2. Change a setting in the phone
3. Connect phone to pc
4. Open a CMD prompt and type in exactly what it says to type.

there was something about wiping a bunch of stuff multiple times