Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

kidcoelacanth posted:

If you want to trawl the archives for Gene and Mary Lou's whole deal, I'm digging through now to pin down some dates (instead of doing my actual work job):

A lot of good stuff here, but I particularly liked:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

I look forward to seeing how Luann will underwhelm our nonexistent expectations yet again.

Wait no longer!

Luann

We are not back in high school, people! I repeat! We are not back in high school! But chances that we are witnessing another POC being excised from the strip remain high!

Gil Thorp

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That only removes a scant few of the options I spammed the thread with.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's very on brand for him to not call ahead like a reasonable human being would.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol Bets dumped his sorry rear end.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Oh so Gunther dreamed that the trip went well but in reality somehow hosed up a road trip bang van adventure with his girlfriend who fantasized about spending the rest of her life with him. :munch: This gon be good.

Mark Trail genuinely surprising me with a twist for the worse!

I hope the Phantom really dies this time and we change scenes to Mozz passing his daughter the skull ring with a smug internal monologue! Get me outta this loving storyline!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Crab Dad posted:

Lol Bets dumped his sorry rear end.

He wouldn't agree to livestream pegging for gas money.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

He wouldn't agree to livestream pegging for gas money.

Prude

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (September 3-6, 2002)

I have no idea why this one is a GIF instead of a PNG. This kind of thing crops up occasionally, which is odd because from the start of SGR Allison was using PNGs.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Bardiche Hotel

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 4/9-11/51

Archie 12/11-13/47

The school has pretty high walls around its roof, doesn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh9WayN7R-s

Selachian fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 19, 2023

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
imagine I laid this over the Phantom storyline.

Again.

For what feels like the past two threads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Comic Strips 2023: Archie! Why were you born?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Gunthers beard is two for two now, I guess

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I have to admit, I just can't help but feel that Team Evans has been trying to write Bets out of the strip for a long while, despite or because of her being probably the best character in the entire comic.*

*Yes, yes, I know, damning with faint praise and all that

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Schwarzwald posted:

A lot of good stuff here, but I particularly liked:

i think about this last panel all the time

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Give Me The Doping Scandal You Son Of A Bitch

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Sounds like Gunth will be on the hook for the auto repair, if getting it covered was part of his fantasy.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House, in which the Major's one step away from telling them the snozzberries really taste like snozzberries. (June 12-14, 1924)

Toonerville Folks (August 15-17, 1921)

Dok's Duck Pops The Clutch And Tells The World To Eat His Dust (November 16, 1914)

Little Lefty rings out 1938 in style. (December 29-31, 1938)

And somehow my mind went here at this point.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNrzsSgCTAQ

Monday(ish): 1939!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

readingatwork posted:

OK, part 2 of What the Actual Hell is Going on in Blind Alley:

The Cast and Their Subplots:

Sweatpea:

Some kind of hippie and Pod's BFF. She seems to share some sort of psychic link with nature, Sweatpea, and also the baby for some reason. She's been having ominous dreams but otherwise hasn't done much beyond talk to trees and idly muse on nature and being human.

Wander:

See!? I wasn't kidding when I said he he takes orders from birds! Wander is a wandering hobo who's traveling with his bindel demon to find Blind Alley for reasons that are still not clear. He seems nice enough and is kind of dumb in a shounen protagonist sort of way (complete with being obsessed with food). He is currently trying to not get murdered by a pack of wasteland children.

Oliver:

A very strange child and possible egg waiting to hatch. He used to get treated pretty badly by his best friend Ten (and still kind of does) but these days their relationship seems to be becoming more healthy. He also seems to have joined whatever weird nature cult Sweatpea and Pod are in.

Ten:

Ten is an awful little poo poo who lashes out at everybody and everything because he's not dealing with his sick mother's prolonged illness well. While he particularly enjoyed picking on Kaye and Oliver, everybody was on the receiving end of his bullshit to the point where he was eventually booted from the friend group. This (and the guilt from murdering an innocent and very real bird) have caused him to do some introspection and try to make up for his mistakes. Most of the friend group has been receptive to this but Kaye still hates his guts.

April:

An aspiring magician that hangs out in the periphery and hasn't done much yet. May have actual magical powers.

Pip:

A pajama aficionado and irredeemable monster who thinks stealing is good and has probably already stolen your car while you were reading this. Pip was feeding chocolate to the local sewer monster and was eventually kidnapped and dragged into it's lair. Fortunately the sewer monster turned out to be Acme, who was friendly and seemed to just want to be friends. Acme showed Pip around his subterranean bachelor pad where Pip spotted "Pika Pete", a plush Pikachu doll belonging to April which had gone missing at some point in some traumatic way. Pip also seems to have almost immediately begun regretting his friendship to Acme due to getting some bad vibes and is now contemplating stealing the doll back.

Kaye

A budding otaku and comic book artist as well as Elroy's sister. Really loving hates Ten after having to deal with his bullshit for what I assume is several years. She recently learned through an old photo album and Elroy's psychic powers that the reason Ten kept calling her "Betty" was because she used to have a twin sister with the same name that Ten was friends with who disappeared at some point. It's still not clear what happened to her.

Elroy

Elroy is a super-intelligent baby that is also psychic.

Pod

Sweatpea's other half. She does all the same things Sweatpea does but is kind of morbid and dark about it. She and Sweatpea were fighting for a while off-screen at one point but whatever it was about was also resolved off-screen so... :shrug:

Red

Blind Alley's resident computer wiz kid currently trying to get to the bottom of why the town is full of robot birds. He seems to be particularly good friends with Crane but has been spending more time with the rest of the cast now that his parents took away his computer. He shares my feelings on participating in sports.

Crane

Crane is sad that his dog is missing and will tell you this in 9/10 conversations you have with him. Aside from being aloof and helping Red with his investigation he is also trying to learn how to skateboard by using an old board he found in his parent's closet. For the life of me I can't tell if the above comic is supposed to be lore or a joke about how the times change.

Penny

Penny is a dog who fled town in shame after he knocked a couple kids over while chasing a stick. While kind of dense, Penny is also very loyal and is currently trying to get back home to his owner Crane.To this end he has formed an alliance of convenience with Wander's demon-on-a-stick (???). The current plan is to find Wander, who they got separated from when they fell off a cliff. However Penny is still not sure if he trusts them enough to actually help them get to Blind Alley.

Lula

Honestly, I'm just kind of assuming she's a real vampire at this point based solely on how weird everything else is. Though if that's the case she doesn't seem to be feeding on people for real for some reason. Aside from doing vampire stuff she has also been forming a legitimately adorable bond with a local stray cat she has named "Uncle Michael".

Acme

There is a very good chance that Acme's arc won't end with him killing Pip and hanging his corpse in his murder basement. I have a good feeling about this one.

???

Wander's partner and the smart one of the pair. While kind of creepy and a bit of an rear end in a top hat he doesn't seem to be malicious. ??? can read minds which has allowed him to team up with Penny to find Wander. Pretty much everything about him is still a mystery at this point.

Uncle Michael

I also love Uncle Michael. :3:

There, I hope that helps. Also that took forever so you'll get new comics tomorrow morning.

Thank you again, I appreciate the work. There are multiple pairs of kids I thought were the same kid, it's worse than telling Elvis from Goldie in Breaking Cat News.

Speaking of cat comics, there's a Japanese one called "What's Michael?" that's probably where this Uncle Michael gets his name, I'm thinking. I'm getting strong manga vibes off the bindle creature too.

Also:

Hippocrass posted:

Comic Strips 2023: Archie! Why were you born?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

drat Luan is finally interesting. Usually I’m only in it for Tiffers.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 7/15/51
No, Pesky's right. That sums it up. It's really not interesting or entertaining.

Doomykins posted:

I hope the Phantom really dies this time and we change scenes to Mozz passing his daughter the skull ring with a smug internal monologue!
Never going to happen. At this point I half way believe we'll cut back to Mozz telling this version of the story to the Phantom, who then goes "Ah, but what if I..." and we start the whole thing again and The Phantom is just this one story told over and over from now until the end of time. But they're definitely not going to actually let the Phantom die.

catlord posted:

I have to admit, I just can't help but feel that Team Evans has been trying to write Bets out of the strip for a long while, despite or because of her being probably the best character in the entire comic.*

*Yes, yes, I know, damning with faint praise and all that
She's definitely not the best character. I still think that dubious honour has to go to Tiffany. Bets obviously beats Gunther, Bernice and Luann, but that's not difficult.

What? Why can't the tree complete the captcha?

Howard Beale posted:

Sounds like Gunth will be on the hook for the auto repair, if getting it covered was part of his fantasy.
He doesn't even seem to have the van any more. Presumably Bets still has it and, if it's even damaged, it'd be on her to repair it.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Tiggum posted:

What? Why can't the tree complete the captcha?

No Eyes.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

I have no eyes, and I must shitpost?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Should'a made friends with some potatoes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (September 16, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Love that last panel.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Miles and Kevin are about to be those kid's you would point to and say "well their parents let them see it!". There is no higher honor.

Peanuts Through the Ages (Jan 13-18, 1964)

Big Nate

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

drat Luan is finally interesting. Usually I’m only in it for Tiffers.

For real, Tiff is the best character in the strip. Most human, most relatable, most interesting.

Everyone else is Greg Adams' daughter's fantasy of what her life in high school 20 years ago could have been.

I still feel like there's something distinctly hosed up and banjo-tastic about the daddy-daughter comic team.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Miles and Kevin are about to be those kid's you would point to and say "well their parents let them see it!". There is no higher honor.
Do not underestimate kids tolerance for blood and body horror. I was watching the '89 Guyver OVAs, and the Devilman ones, with a side of Jason Voorhees stabbin' motherfuckers at the tender age of, like, 6 or 7. All my dad did was go
:reject: "You know this is just a cartoon/isn't real, right?"
:rolleyes: "Yes, Dad"
and popped that sucker into the VCR while I got the popcorn.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 20, 2023

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

readingatwork posted:

Diatryma is now Gastornis

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

davidspackage posted:

Love that last panel.

See I'm a big dweeb so all I can see is that the beverage seems to share a name with a Legend of Zelda character

Hippocrass posted:

Diatryma is now Gastornis

Similarly

Strontium posted:

Take It From The Tinkersons

He's right, owing a car is suffering

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sam and Gloria investigate:

And apparently the election's over and Abbey lost. :geno:

Then:

But they're saved by persons unknown, who disappear without being seen:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

The weed of crime bears bitter fruit! Alec Baldwin cackles in the distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Who the heck is this kid?