Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
the difference between hero snout and humiliation kink snout is eyebrow direction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Spoiler: Snout gets a boner from this

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012
IMO it doesn't even look to me like Idiota is speaking, more like she's being taken to task/screamed at by the spectre, so it's more like he's mad that the dream realm itself isn't providing him with subtitles.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
"Reality, cater to me!"

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I really have no idea why he keeps this as a running gag for his ostensibly likable main character. It’s not funny or endearing, doesn’t tell us anything we don’t already know (HE’S DEAF, WE GET IT), makes him look like a self-interested tool, and draws attention to the fact that the stakes of the conflict and the histories of the characters are unclear so they could be fighting about literally anything at any given moment.

Hell, it would be the easiest thing in the world just to have Snout go “well I don’t know exactly what is happening right now but I can make an educated guess based on what I know about my friends” and then either prove him right down the line to show that he’s an empathetic, caring soul, or have him be wrong and mine that for conflict/drama.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
I think the problem, or a major part of it anyway, is that Mookie doesn't seem to fundamentally grasp to idea of inflecting things. The fact that the literal, abstract idea of something isn't all that matters (in general, much less in something like storytelling). So he builds scenes by literally depicting the bare minimum required to establish things...story beats, interactions, whatever...and doesn't seem to be aware that other stuff matters. So if a fight scene can be summarized as "so-and-so shows up but is then defeated by what's-his-name", in Legacy that probably isn't just a summary, it's probably a panel-by-panel transcription of what happened. Like there's literally no other detail to fill in.

I think the "Hey, Snout's deaf. He's deaf, y'all" poutface panel that keeps getting re-used is just literally Mookie trying to establish "there is something plot-relevant that's being revealed in dialog that isn't being transcribed here". Is there a name for the giant onomatopoeia labels, like "Pow!" for a punch and "buda-buda-buda" for a submachine gun? I think the Snout-with-resting-deaf-face panel is Mookie's equivalent of that. And the fact that it comes across as something else...like Snout behaving like a pouty infant...isn't relevant because it's just "supposed to be" a narrative marker or whatever you want to call it. Like a giant anime sweat drop or a hashtag of anger or whatever.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

after I saw the comic but before I read the twitter explanation, I figured Snout was just being real judgy at subSnout for being a bitch

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I'd actually be curious to see if it's the same Grumpy Snout panel everytime, just copy pasted and not even redrawn. It sure does look exactly the same

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

remember when he found out that sign language existed and that the ink witch was fluent in sign language and then he immediately forgot about that

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SubG posted:

I think the "Hey, Snout's deaf. He's deaf, y'all" poutface panel that keeps getting re-used is just literally Mookie trying to establish "there is something plot-relevant that's being revealed in dialog that isn't being transcribed here". Is there a name for the giant onomatopoeia labels, like "Pow!" for a punch and "buda-buda-buda" for a submachine gun? I think the Snout-with-resting-deaf-face panel is Mookie's equivalent of that. And the fact that it comes across as something else...like Snout behaving like a pouty infant...isn't relevant because it's just "supposed to be" a narrative marker or whatever you want to call it. Like a giant anime sweat drop or a hashtag of anger or whatever.

Those are sound effects. So this is a no-sound effect.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Inadequately posted:

I really have no idea why he keeps this as a running gag for his ostensibly likable main character. It’s not funny or endearing, doesn’t tell us anything we don’t already know (HE’S DEAF, WE GET IT), makes him look like a self-interested tool, and draws attention to the fact that the stakes of the conflict and the histories of the characters are unclear so they could be fighting about literally anything at any given moment.

Hell, it would be the easiest thing in the world just to have Snout go “well I don’t know exactly what is happening right now but I can make an educated guess based on what I know about my friends” and then either prove him right down the line to show that he’s an empathetic, caring soul, or have him be wrong and mine that for conflict/drama.

Yeah, just have him move up to stand beside Idiota, or take her hand, or hug her, or anything that shows his kindness and friendship and all the stuff that's supposed to be his strengths and important. Yeah, he can't tell what's being said, but it's clear that this is something she worries about, her fear, her inner critic, whatever, and they are ostensibly close friends.

In the alternate universe where this story is written by a competent author, Snout would just jump in between them without knowing the details or caring about them, because he needed to protect his friend. Then she'd admit that initially she did see him as lesser or a pet or whatever is going on here, but came to care for him later, and this is not how she feels like anymore, but is ashamed that she did. Challenge solved.

Unfortunately we're in the universe where Snout will shoot a bunch of light orbs from his crotch, then Idiota will get naked and make bedroom eyes at him.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Happy Landfill posted:

I'd actually be curious to see if it's the same Grumpy Snout panel everytime, just copy pasted and not even redrawn. It sure does look exactly the same

What does your heart tell you?

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

amigolupus posted:

that Tim Buckley, of all people, has improved more as an artist than Mookie.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Breadmaster posted:

that Tim Buckley, of all people, has improved more as an artist than Mookie.

Everyone says that, but have they actually tried reading his current comic? It's painfully bland.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its improved as much as sluggy freelance has :v

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Everyone says that, but have they actually tried reading his current comic? It's painfully bland.

i barely read this one!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Better than painfully bad.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

amigolupus posted:

My heart tells me that that's why they are all wearing clothes in the dream realm this time, when they haven't before

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I'll be honest, until I saw the thread quoting the X, I thought that blonde witch was the villain one
How was I supposed to know?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Happy Landfill posted:

My heart tells me that that's why they are all wearing clothes in the dream realm this time, when they haven't before

That would require Mookie to have planed things a dozen or so strips ahead. This was just a target of lazy opportunity.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Hippocrass posted:

That would require Mookie to have planed things a dozen or so strips ahead. This was just a target of lazy opportunity.

I could see him planning around the reuse of a panel.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It is so loving fascinating how mookie continues to write Snout as an unlikable, selfish rear end in a top hat with zero indication that he realises he's doing so. If people complaining about Idiota's abusive dream invasion reached his ears, this one definitely did not.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I think he's trying to go for the 'Toph is blind' jokes but he's forgotten/ignored that Toph is, the vast majority of the time, the one making those jokes to mess with her friends.

With Snout the 'joke' is always explicitly at his expense. He's missing out because he's deaf, isn't that hilarious?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

SubG posted:

Is there a name for the giant onomatopoeia labels, like "Pow!" for a punch and "buda-buda-buda" for a submachine gun? I think the Snout-with-resting-deaf-face panel is Mookie's equivalent of that. And the fact that it comes across as something else...like Snout behaving like a pouty infant...isn't relevant because it's just "supposed to be" a narrative marker or whatever you want to call it. Like a giant anime sweat drop or a hashtag of anger or whatever.

I don't think so. Onomatopoeia is correct. I agree with you and this reminds me of a line that's stuck with me from another webcomic "doctorcops," where the character reading the script for the show referred to an "emotional laugh track." That's what this copypasted panel of Snout smells like to me, this same kind of visual shorthand.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Mx. posted:

It's Friday! Who's ready to-

Oh gently caress off. gently caress right off

Do you think Mookie knows what words they're shouting at each other? If Snout can't hear them, and we can't read them, do they even matter?

Like, if you were writing this (or any) story, would you find it worthwhile to write out what's said off-screen or inaudibly or otherwise unperceieved?

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Normal Barbarian posted:

Do you think Mookie knows what words they're shouting at each other? If Snout can't hear them, and we can't read them, do they even matter?

Like, if you were writing this (or any) story, would you find it worthwhile to write out what's said off-screen or inaudibly or otherwise unperceieved?

Am I Mookie in this hypothetical?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Challenges Idiota is obviously screaming the comments that called out regular Idiota for infantilizing Snout and entering his dreams without permission.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

This is also the dream realm so there is no reason for Snout to not be able to know what is being said regardless of whether he can hear it or not.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Normal Barbarian posted:

I think the next page of the comic is going to write out all the dialogue immediately

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
I still can't get over how everybody looks when they're shouting in this comic, as if they're just going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH" at one another, or letting out a sustained operatic note. It's so stupid looking. Hell, I think it looks worse than the wizard hats and I'll stand by that.

It's great how the (fantastic, well done rudecyrus) recaps are lining up with the end of Legacy, so you get two completely jumbled, rushed mess finales. I'm not sure which is worse. Legacy probably. DD's ending is terrible, but at least it's mostly clear who's doing what and why, even if the "what" and "why" are dumb.

Pulsarcat
Feb 7, 2012

MuddyFunster posted:

I still can't get over how everybody looks when they're shouting in this comic, as if they're just going "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH" at one another, or letting out a sustained operatic note. It's so stupid looking. Hell, I think it looks worse than the wizard hats and I'll stand by that.

It's especially great because that's basically the only way anyone argues, a couple inches away while screaming at the top of their lungs.
It's like without dialogue Mookie has no idea how to show two people arguing without making them come across as over the top.

I love it because every single argument comes across like this to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnPW05Q8hQQ

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010
Do none of his fans on Twitter complain or have any sort of misgivings about anything he does? Or at this point, is his fan based just the yes-men now, after everyone else left?

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Breadmaster posted:

Do none of his fans on Twitter complain or have any sort of misgivings about anything he does? Or at this point, is his fan based just the yes-men now, after everyone else left?

1) He has no fans left
2) Once in a while an update would get one or two tepid likes from one of his acquaintances
3) Less often, there was a noncommittal comment
4) If anyone was ever anything less than fawning, he blocks and reports them, pouts, and writes a whiny, self-pitying blog post about haters the next day.

So there is no fan, if there were, they would not say anything, if they did say something, it would not be critical, and if it was, Mookie would ignore it. Basically Freud's kettle.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Pulsarcat posted:

It's especially great because that's basically the only way anyone argues, a couple inches away while screaming at the top of their lungs.
It's like without dialogue Mookie has no idea how to show two people arguing without making them come across as over the top.

I love it because every single argument comes across like this to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnPW05Q8hQQ

I think you nailed why Ink Witch and Arudak's arguments always felt weird. Why are they yelling at each other and not just, I don't know, flinging magic at each other or something?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

He still has a hundred and fifty Patreon supporters who presumably must be fans for life now.

I assume they're the ones paying Mookie to draw commissions of their favourite anime characters which is something I genuinely don't get - I can understand getting a drawing of yourself and your favourite Deegans but apparently there are fans out there who follow Legacy for the fantastic art.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Part of the "operatic screaming" thing is because the comic is without dialogue (lol) and sound effects. Nothing feels as if it's in motion, as there's no sense of passage of time - instead each panel reads as a snapshot. So when we see someone with their mouth open, our brain doesn't interpret it as someone mid-sentence, but instead as someone frozen in place, uttering a single noise. Angry yelling becomes "AAAAAAAAAAA" instead of words to the reader.

But of course Mookie never considered that because he never analyzed another comic that didn't use dialogue or sound effects and the effect it has. Look at Watchmen - there are no motion lines or sound effects, and the action scenes come off as frozen moments in time (intentionally, to great effect). Clearly Mookie doesn't intend for that, since he does use motion lines... Sometimes.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Invisible Clergy posted:

1) He has no fans left
2) Once in a while an update would get one or two tepid likes from one of his acquaintances
3) Less often, there was a noncommittal comment
4) If anyone was ever anything less than fawning, he blocks and reports them, pouts, and writes a whiny, self-pitying blog post about haters the next day.

So there is no fan, if there were, they would not say anything, if they did say something, it would not be critical, and if it was, Mookie would ignore it. Basically Freud's kettle.

He does have fans, they all posted about how much they love old Deegan when he did his last kickstarter. They don't tend to interact much with him regularly though. Idk if current Deegan really has fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Mx. posted:

He does have fans, they all posted about how much they love old Deegan when he did his last kickstarter. They don't tend to interact much with him regularly though. Idk if current Deegan really has fans.

it's us, we're the deegan fans