Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1691781456979259877

Yeah, Kill Blue is probably fine for now, that's kinda crazy.

Turns out no one really can beat Ice-Head Gill when it comes to axes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dexo posted:

Like obviously the Manga is a step or so further than this, but like it's just that, one step further on what being an other in a society is.

Obviously there is, and has been, plenty of injustice in various human societies! It’s more the portrayal of the opposition to it (or lack thereof, since the only people we know of trying to stop it were killed before the story began) that rings false. In particular, it’s hard to buy that the brain parasite thing could effectively be kept a secret.

But as I said, it’s early enough in the manga that there’s room for more world-building to address this.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 16, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Obviously there is, and has been, plenty of injustice in various human societies! It’s more the portrayal of the opposition to it (or lack thereof, since the only people we know of trying to stop it were killed before the story began) that rings false. In particular, it’s hard to buy that the brain parasite thing could effectively be kept a secret.

But as I said, it’s early enough in the manga that there’s room for more world-building to address this.

That's kind of the thing though. We have plenty of good hard proof that for a lot of people the opposition either doesn't exist or is extremely light/not considered worth upending or risking their lives over. It's a big part of why the American prison and police forces are the way they are, because it's a lot easier to type ACAB on a Twitter post and go about your day than it is to risk being shot in the face by doing something serious.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Dexo posted:

And like yeah, there are generally a number of people who are against it,and like maybe in your and my circles we have people who think and care about this stuff, but the world at large especially the groups who are doing the oppressing, tend to largely condone this poo poo until it no longer does, where people then go and say that they were always against it etc.

I think we’re on the same page somewhat but there’s some nuance on how we see it, and I’ll be honest I think there’s a conversation worth happening, but I think we can agree the Shonen thread ain’t it. I get your points and I agree with a lot, but this is a long conversation that is not suited to me typing on my phone. I hope you don’t mind if I don’t continue the argument at this point. I appreciate the response.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Black Clover is moving to Jump GIGA because Tataba is dying.

https://twitter.com/nite_baron/status/1692065268866957525?s=20

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
God, when was the last time I even read Black Clover?

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Black Clover is moving to Jump GIGA because Tataba is dying.

https://twitter.com/nite_baron/status/1692065268866957525?s=20

His family has been in the hospital a lot lately, so I respect him for deciding to take the longer route.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ConanThe3rd posted:

God, when was the last time I even read Black Clover?

You can probably read through your backlog in 10 minutes
The chapters just fly past.

But yeah this is good. The mangas paci g has been all kinds of off lately.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1692053731783717254
Huh. Jump editorial seems to be going all-in on Kill Blue and sees potential in Nue and Cipher. I'm guessing they're hoping to build up these three to at least be middle-of-the-road sellers (and maybe more for Kill Blue) but who knows how successful they'll be. Kill Blue's at least popular in the rankings which can't really be said for Cipher, but it has been trending slightly upwards in the ToC and apparently got second reprints of the first two volumes recently so it might not be an entirely lost cause. Nue I think is just a wildcard at this point.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Its very easy to see the anime potential of kill blue so i could see why jump would be like "yea we want this to do good"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Cipher makes sense because like it can be put as like educational.

Even if it never ranks high or whatever, it's a type of series that Jump has nothing like.

I have no clue what the Japanese marketing and toy markets are like, but Cipher extremely seems like something that they could use to push STEM, or vaguely educational toys like they do with every toy over here in America.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Kill Blue is basically a Jump version of Detective Conan, so it's easy to imagine why Shueisha sees big neon dollar signs in it's potential

If it takes off with enough momentum, ten years from now, I bet we get a crossover movie. Teen detective little kid vs old hitman teenager.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Nue has been competent enough but I'm not sure I wanna be here five years from now talking about it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Nue has been competent enough but I'm not sure I wanna be here five years from now talking about it.

With titles like Gill and Tenmaku bombing right now, and very few big hits in the last year or so (Ruri's an exception, but unfortunately, it's also not really an option at the moment) Jump's not in a position to turn down competent enough.

Mind, 5 years is quite a while, and the 10 year plus runs are getting less common even with successes, so I wouldn't bet on it being around that long.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Nue is indeed competent. Though last few chapters have been a little more iffy.

Anyway:
Sachi Chan is still oddly amusing

Kaiju was awesome for a change.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Nue's Exorcist is weird because it is extremely cliche, but a lot of the harem-y cliches aren't ones normally found in modern Jump manga specifically. It feels like either an LN (from the pre-isekai era), a VN, or a manga in a different magazine. Though it does have some Bleach influence too.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 17, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cipher academy is pretty solid tbh.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Cipher academy is pretty solid tbh.

Good to know I'm not the only one who likes it!

So, what does everyone think will be the next series to end? Fabricant 100 is in the middle of what could plausibly be the final battle; it would be a premature ending, but it would at least still be an actual ending. Do Retry is looking very cancellable, but since Black Clover moving to Giga theoretically opens up a slot, maybe they don't particularly want to cancel anything right now. Kill Blue has introduced a twist that could be setting up an ending but might not be.

I haven't been following Ice-Head Gil. Has it improved?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Add me to the list of people who like Cipher Academy.

As for what's getting cut, I think Fabricant and Do Retry are both on the chopping block. Both are just kind of... fine? Like, they both had interesting premises but couldn't rise above basic competence, and in a magazine as stacked as SJ is that's basically a death sentence.

I stopped reading Gill after chapter 3, but I wouldn't expect it to get cut in the next wave. The wave after next, on the other hand...

Tenmaku Cinema feels like it could get cut soon, what with it revealing the ghost guy's backstory already. A real shame, I'd thought it had a tepid start, but it's grown on me a lot once the cast actually got to filming their movie.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

With titles like Gill and Tenmaku bombing right now, and very few big hits in the last year or so (Ruri's an exception, but unfortunately, it's also not really an option at the moment) Jump's not in a position to turn down competent enough.

Mind, 5 years is quite a while, and the 10 year plus runs are getting less common even with successes, so I wouldn't bet on it being around that long.

Thanks for reminding me about Ruri, I'm sad again now.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I like the idea of Cipher Academy, but it feels like some parts of it are basically untranslatable, so some of the puzzles are pretty much impossible which really hampers my enjoyment. What I want from a puzzle based series is to feel smart for solving puzzles and Cipher Academy achieves the opposite of that.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Elite posted:

I like the idea of Cipher Academy, but it feels like some parts of it are basically untranslatable, so some of the puzzles are pretty much impossible which really hampers my enjoyment. What I want from a puzzle based series is to feel smart for solving puzzles and Cipher Academy achieves the opposite of that.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2023-02-20/translator-resigns-from-cipher-academy-manga-citing-translation-difficulty/.195094

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Mikane and the Sea Woman: Still not sure if/when the shoe is going to drop for this series, but we have some new characters.

Kaiju #8: The vice captain and Kaiju #10 continue to be the best boys of this series. Dude just loves fighting and needed a literal bio-weapon to get him to be honest

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 18, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Shojo null: okay, you know what. Look at the expression of the woman with the gun before she shoots the director. She looks horrified. Marie black is doing what the worms do. at least that’s what I think

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I gave Shojo Null a try a few days ago and it really can’t be overstated just how loving weird the special police chief character is.

-Introduces himself with “Oh boy I sure love killing people”
-Doesn’t give a poo poo about being part of government conspiracy that deceives the public in order to enslave conscious beings
-Doesn’t care than his son was murdered and his house was burned down
-Lazily yawns during the briefing about catching the Gijin that killed his son
-Doesn't care about “maintaining order” or anything like that. Or even pretending to care.
-Isn’t driven by hatred of Gijin. Rebel humans are who he hates and he doesn’t seem to give any thought about Gijin at all.
-Doesn’t seem motivated by sadism. (He just executes people rather than slowly torturing them to death)

“Likes killing people” is the only thing the manga has established about him. He could fondly reminisce about shooting up an orphanage and it would change nothing about his character. And this is an issue because he’s basically the stand in representative for the regime and his sole character trait is “violent psychopath”.

There are other antagonistic characters, but none of them feel important.

The kamikids are dumbass kids who died within 1 chapter and whose deaths meant nothing.

After the first 2 chapters I had written a few thoughts that I didn’t get around to posting , and this is what I put about the theater guy: The theater guy is clearly being positioned as “insane auteur artist” so the conclusion to draw is just “that that guy was crazy”. I also wouldn’t bet any money on him lasting more than a couple of chapters either.
Turns out he immediately died too.

I don’t really expect complex social commentary and nuanced depictions of racism from shounen, but for a primary antagonist the police chief just seems badly written. If he randomly murdered a bunch of Gijin as payback for losing his son that wouldn’t make him any more sympathetic, but it would make him more understandable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elite posted:

I gave Shojo Null a try a few days ago and it really can’t be overstated just how loving weird the special police chief character is.

-Introduces himself with “Oh boy I sure love killing people”
-Doesn’t give a poo poo about being part of government conspiracy that deceives the public in order to enslave conscious beings
-Doesn’t care than his son was murdered and his house was burned down
-Lazily yawns during the briefing about catching the Gijin that killed his son
-Doesn't care about “maintaining order” or anything like that. Or even pretending to care.
-Isn’t driven by hatred of Gijin. Rebel humans are who he hates and he doesn’t seem to give any thought about Gijin at all.
-Doesn’t seem motivated by sadism. (He just executes people rather than slowly torturing them to death)

“Likes killing people” is the only thing the manga has established about him. He could fondly reminisce about shooting up an orphanage and it would change nothing about his character. And this is an issue because he’s basically the stand in representative for the regime and his sole character trait is “violent psychopath”.

There are other antagonistic characters, but none of them feel important.

The kamikids are dumbass kids who died within 1 chapter and whose deaths meant nothing.

After the first 2 chapters I had written a few thoughts that I didn’t get around to posting , and this is what I put about the theater guy: The theater guy is clearly being positioned as “insane auteur artist” so the conclusion to draw is just “that that guy was crazy”. I also wouldn’t bet any money on him lasting more than a couple of chapters either.
Turns out he immediately died too.

I don’t really expect complex social commentary and nuanced depictions of racism from shounen, but for a primary antagonist the police chief just seems badly written. If he randomly murdered a bunch of Gijin as payback for losing his son that wouldn’t make him any more sympathetic, but it would make him more understandable.

So this kind of goes back to what I was saying before. To put it politely. have you kept an eye on the news lately? Because "violent psychopath who seems primarily to enjoy hurting people and exercising his powers and isn't even particularly caring about his family" is a perfectly reasonable description of a shocking number of police officers.

The chief only feels weird if your idea of police officers is "upstanding people who attempt to uphold the law" and not "hired goons who are given power and authority to protect the wealthy" and the latter is close to reality. This isn't even exclusively an American thing, there are *plenty* of cases of abuse in Japan too. The corrupt, cruel and callous policeman is a stereotype that transcends countries for a reason.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 18, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ImpAtom posted:

So this kind of goes back to what I was saying before. To put it politely. have you kept an eye on the news lately? Because "violent psychopath who seems primarily to enjoy hurting people and exercising his powers and isn't even particularly caring about his family" is a perfectly reasonable description of a shocking number of police officers.

The chief only feels weird if your idea of police officers is "upstanding people who attempt to uphold the law" and not "hired goons who are given power and authority to protect the wealthy" and the latter is close to reality. This isn't even exclusively an American thing, there are *plenty* of cases of abuse in Japan too. The corrupt, cruel and callous policeman is a stereotype that transcends countries for a reason.

Yuup, Not gonna like argue about it anymore because this is a manga thread, but the power that the state gives real life poo poo heads(police) is only so far removed from this.

Go google the poo poo that the Police leadership was covering up as far as migrants being raped while being under the "protection" of the CPD.

Like I said it's somewhat exaggerated because shonen manga, but like it's not much more exaggerated considering the amount of times I have watched a cop just outright murder someone for the lulz and get off with maybe losing his job(they then just go get a job in some other city or state) and no other repercussions other than tax payers through the State/City having to pay wrongful death charges.

Like be thankful if you have never seen a police cam where a police officer has shot some dude running/surrendering and then started to laugh about it as the person bleeds out, as they don't call an ambulance or do anything to save their life.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 19, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I thought about posting this earlier and forgot: I don't think anyone is asking for racism to be portrayed as more rational or for there to be more sympathetic racists (or at least, I'm not), but the way these fantasy racism stories are always maximum lurid presentation all the time makes it feel kinda... inauthentic? as a discrimination metaphor. Elfen Lied is kind of a mean comparison but it's not off.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the rest of the writing is so clumsy that the accurate depiction of a cop is probably coincidental.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

I thought about posting this earlier and forgot: I don't think anyone is asking for racism to be portrayed as more rational or for there to be more sympathetic racists (or at least, I'm not), but the way these fantasy racism stories are always maximum lurid presentation all the time makes it feel kinda... inauthentic? as a discrimination metaphor. Elfen Lied is kind of a mean comparison but it's not off.

I absolutely get where you're coming from, but at least to me I think it runs into the issue of real world examples being incredibly exaggerated and the less you acknowledge that the less authentic it feels in a different direction. There's a very different ring of truth in "A bunch of lovely teens torture and murder a person for fun and Youtube views" when like, that's an actual thing that happens even if it seems loving absurd and ridiculous to think about. It's not particularly subtle what sort of stories are being referenced there.

It's exaggerated but I think it's more like going from a 7 to a 10 rather than a 2 to a 10, if that makes sense?

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Yes - but only because Cipher Academy takes a comparatively long time to translate. He resigned from working on the project because Viz did not want to increase the page rate and make it a volume release instead of a simulpub weekly release.

It's not a "I can't translate this". It's a "I can't translate this at the rates you're willing to pay and the time you're willing to give me."

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

How many of those violent cops do you think would be a-okay about their son getting murdered? Like I can totally buy that they’re immensely lovely parents who treat their children badly, but they’d still get angry about other people hurting their child. That isn’t even about being caring or compassionate, that’s about feeling personally slighted because it affected you.

I guess the point I’m making is that few people set out to do deliberate evil for the sake of it, and those that do usually don’t rise to positions of power or importance. Even history’s greatest monsters have human elements to them - I’m thinking of Stalin talking about having a broken heart after his wife died or the video of Hitler relaxing with Eva Braun. So Sergeant Police Brutality might beat his family every night but he would still get mad about someone else killing them.

That isn’t saying that evil doesn’t exist, it’s saying that people like to think of themselves as “good” so they love to contrive excuses as to why something is deserved, justified or necessary. The justifications are obviously bullshit, but the justifications are what enable people to treat others awfully and people have an extreme capacity for self-deception in order to make themselves feel better. I think evil arises more from personal weakness and selfishness than raw malevolence.

“Violent psycho police chief who spouts bullshit about enforcing justice and maintaining order” makes sense. Yes it’s objectively bullshit, but people do buy in to their own bullshit.
“Violent psycho police chief who’s sole trait is that they really love being a violent psycho” doesn’t make sense. To me anyway.
I mean when the spotlight is put on those real life violent cops how many of them start cackling that they just looove killing people? (Possibly not zero, but not many). And how often do they come up with self-serving excuses and justifications? (~100%). So they could have had a character who was just as evil, just as corrupt, just as repulsive - whilst seeming a lot more realistic. So I’m not saying that the “thug with a badge” doesn’t exist, I’m saying that that the “thug with a badge” loves to somehow think of themselves as a hero.

And why does this guy even have a son? He doesn’t seem to get anything out of it. In the real world those violent cops can care about having a family as sort of social proofing, or a status symbol. But this guy doesn’t seem to care about status and doesn’t care about losing it.

And what did any woman see in him? Smart? No. Reliable? No. Fun? No. Funny? No. Caring? No. And sure there are awful people in the real world, who still somehow have relationships and have children. But the person in question needs to pretend not to be lovely for some length of time to reel someone else in, and this guy seems to have zero interest in pretending not to be lovely.

The character just feels... lazy. “Here’s the police chief that killed Riaha’s father. What’s his motivation? He just loves killing people.” Skeletor has more depth to him.

Riaha’s backstory doesn’t make any sense either. He watched his family get gunned down by a government kill team and he runs away with a Gijin who then gets captured ~15 mins later. Then seven years later he’s living on his own in a bombed out house and just casually going to school?

Marie actually seems like the most believable character, even with some significant manic pixie dream girl energy.

ImpAtom posted:

There's a very different ring of truth in "A bunch of lovely teens torture and murder a person for fun and Youtube views" when like, that's an actual thing that happens even if it seems loving absurd and ridiculous to think about. It's not particularly subtle what sort of stories are being referenced there.

I actually thought the kamikids were well done. Yeah things were exaggerated but it had a ring of authenticity to it. They nonchalantly do lovely things, because they don’t even think they’re doing anything wrong. The one guy is trying to befriend and impress Riaha by proudly showing off their earlier Gijin torture videos. Kamikid rushes to promise an apology video over Kingo’s wound violating YouTube rules, but doesn’t mention Marie taking a chainsaw to the face because that didn’t even register to him. It’s a depiction of the banality of evil.

It’s just that they... don’t really matter. They turn up, act like dumbasses, and immediately die.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Sakamoto Days was top tier this week.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
God drat did Witch Watch have me cackling like a loon.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Last Celebration posted:

Sakamoto Days was top tier this week.

The art felt more sketchy, but it worked with the chapter's tone.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, despite the earlier fakeout it really seems like this is the end of fabricant.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

McTimmy posted:

Of all the solutions I did not see this one coming. I absolutely love the way the Mangaka pulls on earlier jokes to solve later problems.

Sakamoto was pretty cool. So I guess the shop has a babysitter with built in fridge now?

Fabricant: Honestly, pretty cool. Now I hope 100 sticks to being a Fabricant.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

McTimmy posted:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

McTimmy posted:

dude accidentally tapped into the most powerful force in the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I was eating that joke up so much i kinda wish it stretched a little longer and was even more incomprehensible to the villain but it was still good