Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

SimonSays posted:

Oh hey I'm riding part of that next month, what town so I can avoid it?

everywheresville, you might be familiar with it here in the entire country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Dog Case posted:

Here's my favorite WSDOT roundabout. It was originally a normal 2 lane one, but then they decided it had too much capacity so they reduced it to this hosed up thing where the path through it switches from one lane to the other and back. You can see by the worn yellow stripes that everybody is very good at navigating this

I think that's like wsdot's favorite kind of roundabout, they put a bunch of them in up here during some road work in preparation for the vancouver olympics

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

I rode a tandem bicycle today. it was fun

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
One of the challenges we encounter when advocating for street life, livable cities and urbanism in general - is our need for a sense of safety, security, and order.

This need increases as disparities in local wealth increase. Studies on urban criminology have also highlighted how crime increases in affluent areas that are close to relatively less affluent communities.

This is why we see the preference for:

1. Privatized gated / walled communities and homes / condos
2. Internalized Amenities / Parks (Country Clubs, etc.)
3. Security guards
4. CCTV coverage
5. Private car use and car-centric infrastructure
6. Enclosed parking lots/garages
7. Secured Internalized spaces: Shopping Malls / Mixed-Use Commercial Buildings

These are all mechanical/physical measures that project order and physically segregate; and that define and actively enforce the social 'rules-of-engagement' for visitors/users.

These have led to the dysfunctions we contend with today. Traffic, horrible public transport, non-walkable cities, environmental degradation, loss of the public realm, and inequitable/unlivable housing conditions.

These preferences trickle down from the affluent; and I'd argue its not just an elitist/classist thing but a fundamental human need to be able to physically define/control one's living environment.

A mature open street grid within a middle class residential area will see tall fences with barbed wire/broken glass on top and enclosed gates; just as a new subdivision (working or middle class) out in the suburbs will have a perimeter fence, a gate and guardhouse, and internalized amenities. Even in more informal settlements, there are certain lines not to be crossed.

The only difference is that those with more means have more ways to project order and segregate themselves.

While I've been using space syntax to highlight how our (very suburban) spatial network can be more urbane; and I've been advocating for mixed uses/densities so that we can have more walkable communities - residents and developers will of course flag security concerns.

Advocates will argue- how about eyes on the street! I feel more secure when I'm amongst other people, than walking along blank/dead facades and street fronts.

Yes, agree, but not all streets can support an active frontage, nor should they. Not all streets are the same.

Nor is this a uniquely local phenomenon. Gated enclosure and segregation happens all over the world, outside the traditional urbane cores of cities in even the most egalitarian societies/countries.

We are just lulled into complacency because we come as tourists and don't see the exact same modes of segregation that we have back home. The thresholds are closer/shallower, but make no mistake- they are there.

Architecture is spatial enclosure and segregation between inside and out. Architecture has thresholds.

Conversely - urbanism (and environmental planning for that matter) - is about connection and continuity of flow.

The challenge for our built environment is to mediate between the two disciplines.

But the bigger challenge is for our society to evolve to be more egalitarian - not just economically, but for more of us to empathically see ourselves in others.

It will need hard policy decisions and carrots and sticks.

The walls in our minds may never go down, but if we plan with nuance, and understand gradients of security and order; and acknowledge the value of the urbane and the chaotic, we may just find a way to our shared definition of what a good city can be.

A good city for we.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://www.news5cleveland.com/news...mibextid=9R9pXO

The reasoning is in a screenshot and is absolutely insane.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Twerk from Home posted:

They sell more than 400,000 Golfs annually in the EU, which is a smaller market overall than the US.

Are Americans really buying more cars than euros despite having something like 100 million fewer people? Or are they just winning in overall weight?

genericnick has issued a correction as of 12:36 on Aug 19, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Boywhiz88 posted:

this would own if i was 13 and my only allowed activity was gaming

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
skateboarding is not a crime

mystes
May 31, 2006

simply don't let children outside until they turn 18

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

just let kids drive cars. safe ones, so they should be extra big.

mystes
May 31, 2006

cool av posted:

just let kids drive cars. safe ones, so they should be extra big.
if self driving cars ever become a thing, families who can afford it will have a car for every kid

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

gonna take my kid to the park on my bike tomorrow

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

lol, is this from strong towns

its time for Tough Men to make Hard Decisions that will Benefit Us All and build electric fences around every ghetto

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Marseille was cool as hell. Only spent the day there, but the entire touristy area around the port was completely shut down for cars and there was an entire residential quarter with planter boxes blocking off the narrow streets with zero parking and a bunch of restaurants. Wife got a little terrified by the massively crowded multicultural market we walked through though :lol:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ensign Expendable posted:

https://www.cp24.com/news/city-investigating-conduct-of-employee-who-pushed-protester-with-car-at-high-park-1.6505379

Counter-protester: cars in High Park are dangerous
Driver: no they aren't and I will drive my car into you to prove it

Bonus points for the driver being a city employee

Related update: a wheelchair user wrote a letter to the editor about how inaccessible the park is, but shockingly, did not blame the lack of parking and/or the war on cars, but instead said: "The answer is not permitting more cars, the answer lies in creative, accessible solutions such as frequent, intra-park shuttles that go all over the park, better signage and an improved communication strategy."

If you care about the details, she's right - the park has a trackless train that I don't think can accommodate a wheelchair and also the link to the schedule for that train on the park's own website appears to go to a Japanese-language blog about being a consultant.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Rode my bike today

Yesterday I bought a tire pump with a pressure gauge, so I was running at 60 psi when apparently I've been at about 30-40 all this time before

That, plus staying on the big ring and staying away from the low gears and powering through uphills made a marked difference

Compare to two weeks ago:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rode my bike today

Yesterday I bought a tire pump with a pressure gauge, so I was running at 60 psi when apparently I've been at about 30-40 all this time before

That, plus staying on the big ring and staying away from the low gears and powering through uphills made a marked difference

Compare to two weeks ago:

$$

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rode my bike today

how much i can a get a good lightweight bike if i don't want any of my $$$ into bougie marketing crap

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Palladium posted:

how much i can a get a good lightweight bike if i don't want any of my $$$ into bougie marketing crap

I got mine for about 430 dollars. It weighs maybe 15 kg, but I could get it down to 11 or 12 if I ditched the rack and basket

The big thing is that you want to stay away from MTBs and their suspension forks, which add a lot of weight

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

nice bike gradenko :c00l:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Palladium posted:

Buy used if you can. It's a better deal and bikes basically last forever. Also don't obsess over weight. If you're on the road, the great majority of your energy is going to air resistance, and most of that is you, not your bike. Any reasonable quality bike will be light enough.

Just look for a decent steel or alu frame, good wheels with 28+ spokes, etc. If you live in a relatively flat area, fixed gear or single speed gets rid of a lot of maintenance headache and cost. For a geared commuter, I actually think friction shifting (like old downtube or bar end) is better than indexed shifters.

You should realistically be able to get something decent for under $400, maybe even under $200 if you're lucky. New, it's going to be over $600 for anything that isn't total poo poo.

cat botherer has issued a correction as of 15:40 on Aug 20, 2023

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Pumping your tires does make a huge difference, highly recommended to do it often. Also, no one apparently does it, half the bikes I see are borderline flat, especially the ebikes.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i fill up my tires about once a week, its an activity to do while i rest between sets when im lifting weights (garage gym ftw)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
big government forcing ancient tech on innocent drivers
Is AM Radio in Cars Doomed to Permanent Extinction? Maybe Not

www.caranddriver.com posted:

• Currently awaiting U.S. Senate approval, the AM Radio for Every Vehicle Act seeks to make AM radio a mandated requirement of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
  • Lawmakers point out that AM radio is still useful in emergencies; manufacturers argue that it's old tech.
  • Various manufacturers have been dropping AM radio as a feature, particularly in EVs.
A bipartisan bill currently before the U.S. Senate, the AM Radio for Every Vehicle Act, aims to regulate exactly what you think it does. It has already passed the Senate Commerce Committee, and it seems likely that legislation will soon be passed to keep AM radio in new vehicles. The act is waiting for full Senate approval, which won't happen until at least after the August recess.
[quote][quote][When] the internet gets cut off or the TV doesn't work because of no power to your house, you can still turn on your [car's] AM radio."—Rep. Josh Gottheimer

On one hand, the politicians behind the AM Act make some good points. Manufacturers including Ford, Volkswagen, and Tesla have quietly removed AM radio functionality from some of their new products, although Ford later changed course and announced that its 2024 models will still have AM capability. Rep. Josh Gottheimer of New Jersey said in a press release, "The importance of AM radio during large-scale emergencies cannot be underestimated, and it has, without a doubt and without interruption, saved lives and kept our communities informed. When the cellphone runs out, the internet gets cut off, or the television doesn’t work because of no electricity or power to your house, you can still turn on your [car's] AM radio."

## Why Not Just Use Smartphones?

Pushback coming from manufacturer trade associations points out that cellphones are much better at broadcasting emergency alerts and can include hyperlinks with directions and information. The vast majority of cellphone users in the U.S. own smartphones, and the new iPhone 14 even has satellite link capability for emergency services. Commercial AM radio audiences have shrunk, and streaming audio is far more common. Maybe it's time to move on.

AM radio is the longest-running form of in-car audio, unless you count singing when behind the wheel. The very first aftermarket radios began showing up in the 1920s and 1930s, though they were expensive and very bulky. An early Blaupunkt car radio, for instance, cost a third the price of a new car and was the size of a suitcase.

And the kind of radio you could pick up on in those early days is absolutely mind-boggling. In 1932, when you could get a Motorola radio for your Ford Model A, the 300-foot towers at XER in Mexico were cranked up to one million watts. The broadcasting range reportedly stretched to Mexico, but accounts at the time said people were picking up the station on their telephones, bedsprings, fillings, and even barbed wire fences.

## AM Radio's Wild Past

The man behind the XER "border blaster" (it was situated just across the border from Del Rio, Texas) was one of America's most bizarre quacks and charlatans. John R. Brinkley made his fortune as the goat gland doctor, performing thousands of operations where he claimed to insert goat testicles in people to cure impotence. His radio station broadcast all sorts of highly questionable medical advice, advertised miracle cures, and to fill time he hosted up-and-coming musicians. Brinkley launched the career of the likes of Gene Autry, and deserves at least partial credit for the popular spread of country music. He earned millions yet died penniless, though don't shed too many tears as in the latter part of his life he became a really big fan of Adolf Hitler.

Later in AM radio's Wild West period, a New Yorker named Robert Smith showed up in Del Rio, lured after having heard Hank Williams and Johnny Cash on the XERF radio station. He changed his name to Wolfman Jack and ended up spreading blues, jazz, and rock music all across a fairly repressed America. Kids in jalopies cruised at night, listening to Mexican pirate radio. The Wolfman was a sufficient icon of the time to show up later in American Graffiti.

Later you had Art Bell's Coast to Coast AM, beaming out discussions of the paranormal in the wee hours of the morning. Sports radio. Talk radio. Call in shows. Hit shows about fictional stations like WKRP (in Cincinnati) or KACL (Go ahead, Seattle, Dr. Frasier Crane is listening). AM radio outlived the eight-track, the cassette tape, and is currently watching the CD player being phased out.

## Can't Beat the Price

According to a Nielsen survey done in the fall of last year, more than 82 million Americans still tune into AM radio on a monthly basis. It's still a great go-to for traffic alerts and sports, and whether this legislation is government overreach is exactly the kind of thing that gets hotly debated on AM talk radio shows.

Keeping AM radio in cars is, at worst, a small added expense for manufacturers that they'll have to pass on. But as more and more entertainment options and even features embrace the subscription model, AM radio is still free. That might be an outdated idea these days, but it's one worth keeping around.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

BonHair posted:

Pumping your tires does make a huge difference, highly recommended to do it often. Also, no one apparently does it, half the bikes I see are borderline flat, especially the ebikes.

Also clean and lubricate your chain.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Palladium posted:

https://www.decathlon.com/products/rc-120-disc-326838

this is the bike I bought a year ago and it kicks rear end. it doesn't have fancy parts but it has all the nubbins to take cargo attachments for grocery runs and it's still light enough to ride for fun. did a 101km ride last month with like 800m elevation gain and it held up pretty well

definitely a great all round starter bike that you can then turn into an errand bike later

corona familiar has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Aug 20, 2023

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

big government forcing ancient tech on innocent drivers
Is AM Radio in Cars Doomed to Permanent Extinction? Maybe Not

this is what happens when your country is governed by an oligarchy of hospice patients

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Just rode around on a friend's Trek FX 3 and it's too upright for me, but it (and cheaper versions like fx2) comes highly recommended as an entry-level commuter. I think a new fx2 is more like $700 USD, but that's about the price range for a non-walmart bike that's gonna work for road and some trails and can mount a luggage rack. It'll last for a long time too.

I love old steel road bikes though, and if you're willing to buy some pretty cheap tools and watch YouTube videos to learn how to repair them, you can find plenty of nothing special bikes that'll last a lifetime for under $150. Anyone who goes this route should pop into the bike commuter thread and get recommendations on local Craigslist because anything pre-'90s can be tricky

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

lobster shirt posted:

i fill up my tires about once a week, its an activity to do while i rest between sets when im lifting weights (garage gym ftw)

lol if you're not supersetting sets of bike pumps into back day.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
The worst part about people new to getting around by bike and looking for something cheap to get started is that there ARE excellent bikes available for insanely cheap but they're old and will probably need a bunch of work which you won't know how to do or won't have the weird bike tools for because they're new to the whole thing

Basically everybody needs a Bike Friend

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Dog Case posted:

:hmmyes: and a bike coop nearby so you don't spend more than the bike on single use tools

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

this posting style (that you're quoting i mean lol) is one of the most insanely annoying things i ever encounter online, makes my skin crawl every time

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the part where he interrupts himself is not pleasingly formatted i agree

also lol just buckle the belt behind you when moving cars in the driveway if you hate beeping dont break your car

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Dog Case posted:

The worst part about people new to getting around by bike and looking for something cheap to get started is that there ARE excellent bikes available for insanely cheap but they're old and will probably need a bunch of work which you won't know how to do or won't have the weird bike tools for because they're new to the whole thing

I got this old '70s French bike off my brother and it took me about 2 years to finally fix everything wrong with it starting with the shifter lever bracket that snapped off mid-ride, then the seatpost clamp that wouldn't stay tight, to the rear brake cable hangar, a couple other things, and finally the bottom bracket with cottered cranks. I also replaced the handlebars because they were impossibly narrow and built some new 27" wheels to learn how to build wheels. Overall, a really fun learning experience, but way beyond what you might expect from anyone trying to buy a first bike.

It's kind of a joke with my wife at this point because I cannot go to the farmers market or the brewery where they let me bring bike inside without at least one person mentioning how pretty the bike is or trying to talk to me about bikes. It's a Motobecane nomade, which was the absolute poo poo tier at the time, but bulletproof and turning 50 this year, will probably last another 25 at least

Troutful
May 31, 2011

corona familiar posted:

:hmmyes: and a bike coop nearby so you don't spend more than the bike on single use tools

Highly highly recommend checking out your local coop. Mine has a sweet arrangement where you can buy any of their refurbed bikes for $20 as long as you volunteer at the shop for 3 hours. That's how I got my commuter bike.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lobster shirt posted:

this posting style (that you're quoting i mean lol) is one of the most insanely annoying things i ever encounter online, makes my skin crawl every time

Podcast rambling turned into prose

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Boywhiz88 posted:

:d2a:

Mauser posted:

Marseille was cool as hell. Only spent the day there, but the entire touristy area around the port was completely shut down for cars and there was an entire residential quarter with planter boxes blocking off the narrow streets with zero parking and a bunch of restaurants. Wife got a little terrified by the massively crowded multicultural market we walked through though :lol:
LOL that's the best part. Also fresh fish!

evil_bunnY has issued a correction as of 08:56 on Aug 21, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/TheWapplehouse/status/1693315023358103885?t=Go0AWE8767QwkB7KmPCEdg&s=19

What the gently caress is it with cars that makes people this braindead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

gradenko_2000 posted:

What the gently caress is it with cars that makes people this braindead

you can do basically anything in a car and suffer practically no consequences unless you're caught while drunk. 20 years of consequence-free rulebreaking makes people do dumb things