Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many of this month's B-league main eventers do you recognize without googling?
This poll is closed.
Logan Storley 16 9.20%
Brennan Ward 17 9.77%
Chingiz Allazov 13 7.47%
Marat Grigorian 7 4.02%
Bubba Jenkins 21 12.07%
Jesus Pinedo 4 2.30%
Renan Ferreira 7 4.02%
Maurice Greene 24 13.79%
Clay Collard 22 12.64%
Shane Burgos 43 24.71%
Total: 46 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Wonderboy married his sister

huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Yeah, I edited with the corrected familial info -- it's Wonderboy's brother and Weidman's sister.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

dana: abuses spouse on camera

mma media: what a guy :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/FightersOnly/status/1692869023065854424?t=AMyJFiPk_z5ufzxguhSE9w&s=19

i fuckin hate liking this sport

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Not many comments but at least they’re all clued in.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Can I write in Francis?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Massive levels of overachievement in sycophancy.

Also, we're 30 minutes out from UFC prelims, so head over to Digital Jedi's multi-GDT.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4039751

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Jiro posted:

Good afternoon MMA thread I am but a humble wrasslin guy and enjoy my fighting games.

So if this has been posted already I apologize, what the gently caress is this???

https://twitter.com/PFLMMA/status/1692635539642736664

Why is a red haired Yamazaki kicking mustache Brazilian buttlift man square in the face and no one is in any kind of gear or........yeah I'm so very confused and :lol: at the short guy getting knocked out.

Frankie's a tiktok comedian
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/CesASm7QVe4

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Now I wish we could have seen a prime JDS in Pride
https://twitter.com/DrakeRiggs_/status/1692572860450226218?s=20

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
The fountain of youth is full of Ostarine

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

christ on a bike, did he order gear from Krypton

edit: his abs look like videogame plate mail and his arms are wider around than his waist hahahaha hes developed the proportions of an SF6 character

DoombatINC fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Aug 20, 2023

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

What happened with Serra-Longo? I haven’t followed that team or Weidman’s training closely. Did Serra retire?

I wonder which man has the least regressive views on gender. Aljo showed himself with the insult on O’Malley.

Aljo was hanging out with Andrew Tate or some other right wing grifter not that long ago. gently caress him even if he made Yan fans cry.

DoombatINC posted:

christ on a bike, did he order gear from Krypton

edit: his abs look like videogame plate mail and his arms are wider around than his waist hahahaha hes developed the proportions of an SF6 character

I always used to say he moved a lot like a street fighter character. The way he could close distance and punch was balrog or dudley esque. I wouldn't be surprised if he could actually pull off an S-Art now.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

jds return to aew please

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Steroids are insane lol

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
God I wish I had some steroids.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Digital Jedi posted:

By the end of the year there is a possibility we have Colby, Strickland, and O'Malley as UFC champs

Enjoy your day!

1 for 3 so far

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1693138546721219039

Things are going to be so much dumber in a couple years.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

It's kinda dumb really.

Dana did this guy who just knocked the champion out in the 2nd round deserve to be in the ring with the champion?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

BlindSite posted:

It's kinda dumb really.

Dana did this guy who just knocked the champion out in the 2nd round deserve to be in the ring with the champion?

I mean, objectively, no. Did he win and thus prove he's the #1 guy? Totally. Did he deserve the shot? Not really. The two can, and with more regularity are, becoming entirely separate things.

We will have this conversation again in December when Sean O'Malley is fighting Marlon Vera instead of Merab Dvalishvili.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

CarlCX posted:

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1693138546721219039

Things are going to be so much dumber in a couple years.

I really hope that's an exact quote because Dana White privilege is right in the Dana White power slap vein

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Whens the last time the UFC put the results of the main event straight to YouTube? Man they're gonna market O'Malley to the moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY5cZITcrF4

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
lol again

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ilmucche posted:

I really hope that's an exact quote because Dana White privilege is right in the Dana White power slap vein

It is, because "Dana White Privilege" is a Tony Ferguson-ism that caught on like wildfire iirc two years ago from when he fought diaz or chandler maybe. It's come up a lot especially on twitter when people are tweeting at Dana.

teemolover42069
Apr 6, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

chaleski posted:

Whens the last time the UFC put the results of the main event straight to YouTube? Man they're gonna market O'Malley to the moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY5cZITcrF4

it's a fuckin beautiful clip, he made it easy for them I guess. they ought to have the slow mo of the good shots of it in there though

teemolover42069 fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Aug 20, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

> White on a possible Weili vs. Xiaonan fight in China sometime in the near future: "Probably."

Should time it around Song Yadong's recovery. Tho tbh, I don't think it'd matter what the undercard was. The gate would be huge no matter what.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Adesanya losing at 205 really wasn't good for the MW division huh, how the gently caress is Strickland in a title fight.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Adesanya losing at 205 really wasn't good for the MW division huh, how the gently caress is Strickland in a title fight.

Basically, of the top ten,
  • Alex Pereira left for 205
  • #1 Dricus du Plessis is injured
  • #2 Robert Whittaker got killed by du Plessis and lost to Adesanya twice
  • #3 Jared Cannonier got beat by Adesanya just barely over one year ago
  • #4 Marvin Vettori got beat by Whittaker, Cannonier, and Adesanya twice
  • #5 is Sean Strickland, the only available person in the top 5 who hasn't lost to Adesanya yet
  • Only one fighter from #6 to #9 is coming off a win, and said win was against Luke Rockhold
  • also the UFC likes bigots
They've got Paulo Costa fighting Khamzat Chimaev in a couple months, so they're trying to bring him up for a shot, but middleweight is a bit dire for contenders right now, which is how du Plessis got into pole position so fast in the first place.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Also, with Sterling losing the belt, the current roster of UFC champions has 8 title defenses between them and 5 of those defenses belong to Alexander Volkanovski.

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
Been awhile, but it feels like that should've kept going.

Edit: The O'Malley knockout. Felt like Sterling was rolling to his feet and the ref jumped in before he was finished moving.

Volkova III fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 20, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Volkova III posted:

Been awhile, but it feels like that should've kept going.

Which that?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

very exciting fighter. He reminds me a lot of Conor as evidenced above, but he has a little more of Chuck + Jardine in him. his angles are weirder like them and he has really tight hooks like them. I have no idea what to call the style, but it's much less straight karate like vintage Conor was.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Both knockdowns there illustrate what happens if you’re short on reach and decide to stop your offense with your head right there. It’s crazy and disappointing that a grappling oriented fighter of Aljo’s caliber can still make that mistake.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Aljo going up in weight really fucks with his legacy imo. They’re gonna protect O’Malley from Merab even if he’s now unclogged to fight.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Disclaimer: this post isn't meant to be disingenuous/inflammatory, genuinely asking for those who remember better, ty!

What IS the dana white privilege malley got to enjoy specifically? IIRC o'malley certainly had a much longer UFC run up to title than the likes of izzy, pereira and chandler, only difference being those guys were all undefeated beforehand while o'malley was not. The petr yan decision was bullshit but wasn't ultimately up to dana (tho with his stopping aljo kinda renders that moot now. he def deserved the shot). Best I can think of were that most of his fights were cans leading up to the top 10?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

Aljo going up in weight really fucks with his legacy imo. They’re gonna protect O’Malley from Merab even if he’s now unclogged to fight.

he's got an absolutely bizarre legacy. won the title completely deservingly by the rules--illegal strike rules are there for a reason--but completely undeservingly in the eyes of probably 99% of fans. then he won a razor-thin coulda-gone-either-way split decision, then beat a one-armed guy, then won a razor-thin-but-probably-the-right-call split decision against a guy who hasn't fought in three years. then got slept by a guy who everyone rightfully thought got an easy push to the title fight.

he's a great fighter, but its gotta be the weakest title reign ever in the eyes of most of the public.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

beep by grandpa posted:

Disclaimer: this post isn't meant to be disingenuous/inflammatory, genuinely asking for those who remember better, ty!

What IS the dana white privilege malley got to enjoy specifically? IIRC o'malley certainly had a much longer UFC run up to title than the likes of izzy, pereira and chandler, only difference being those guys were all undefeated beforehand while o'malley was not. The petr yan decision was bullshit but wasn't ultimately up to dana (tho with his stopping aljo kinda renders that moot now. he def deserved the shot). Best I can think of were that most of his fights were cans leading up to the top 10?

So you could get real abstract with this, but I don't think you have to because there are three easy answers.

One is the least matchmaking-centric but most obvious: The UFC promoted the gently caress out of O'Malley from day one. O'Malley has made one preliminary appearance in his entire UFC run, and it was the fight after his leg exploded and he pissed hot for ostarine and was gone for two years. Aljo was still on the prelims two fights before he was fighting for the title and he wasn't even headlining said prelims. The marketing engine has been 100% behind O'Malley since the beginning of his UFC tenure. Which isn't, in itself, a bad thing--effective marketing is good!--but it's a privilege very, very few fighters get, and it's basically just the ones the UFC really cares about.

Two is the matchmaking. You're absolutely right that Pereira and Chandler had faster runs to the title, but for one, both of those runs were also widely criticized for exactly how fake and astroturfed they were, and for two, Pereira had the complicating factor of, at least, having knocked out Adesanya in kickboxing, which--like, it's still stupid, but at least it's something. More importantly, though: Pereira and Chandler both obliterated their contenders. Sean Strickland was the #4 middleweight on a six-fight winning streak when Pereira crushed him in one round, and Dan Hooker was the #8 lightweight who'd just won three fights and lost a war with Dustin Poirier when Chandler crushed him in one round.

O'Malley did not have either of those things. Like, you said "most of his fights were cans leading up to the top 10," but he didn't actually get into the top ten. He fought three cans, somehow got ranked in the top fifteen out of it, then fought Pedro Munhoz, who was #10, on a two-fight losing streak and 1 for his last 5, and they stalemated for a round and then O'Malley poked his eye out for an NC. And off of that performance, Munhoz got booked to fight Chris Gutierrez in the fringe top fifteen and O'Malley got booked to fight the #1 guy in the division, and the rest is history.

And three are the circumstances surrounding the title fight itself. Dana shits on everyone who sits around waiting for a title shot, but Sean O'Malley got his victory over Petr Yan last October and the UFC didn't even try to book him at any point in that interim, while every other bantamweight contender fought once or sometimes twice and, in some cases, are already booked for a third. They had him sit around and wait for a title shot so as not to jeopardize it, and they were so bent on it that when Aljamain rightfully pointed out that he'd defended the belt twice in that time and really needed more than three months to recover from injuries and actually prepare for a title fight, Dana White very publicly told him to get hosed and that Sean O'Malley was fighting for a championship either with him or without him.

Like, the instant replay of Sean O'Malley's victory last night was sponsored by a partnership between the UFC and Sweet Sweat's personal sponsorship of Sean O'Malley. It is not subtle and they're not trying to be subtle about it.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

beep by grandpa posted:

it's mostly that you can (rightfully) see how drooling Dana + the UFC are about him being champ. So they treated the Munhoz fight like it was a win, they treated the Yan fight like it was a clear win, they hype him up and market him endlessly. Which is not entirely illogical. He's a flashy champion with media skills and a unique look and a very compelling style with a great highlight reel and an Irish name, which is especially important for the huge Irish diaspora in America that feels like they can claim citizenship with 5% blood.

They're definitely going to promote him more and give him an easier path to the title than like, Belal Muhammad. It probably makes sense. The same marketing push behind someone like Belal Muhammad would most likely return less. It's the ugly business side of the sport. It's why he's going to fight Chito next almost guaranteed, and they're gonna try to give a bad matchup to Merab and hope that he loses, and we're all gonna angry post. Or they're gonna try to get Merab to step in to fight him on like three weeks' notice and then use that as an excuse to not give Merab the fight if Merab declines.

Which, y'know, they're a public company. The value of O'Malley being champ instead of Merab is presumably massive. So Dana and Ari literally have a fiduciary responsibility to try and maximize that. So they gotta walk this tight rope of "it's a real sport, we swear!!!" and "of course we don't give people easy paths!!!". And it's true. He DID have to knock Aljo out and have at least a close fight with Yan and blah blah blah.

But like, as a comparison, in hockey, the very best teams have an expected goals ratio of like...56-60%. At the highest levels of MMA, even if they're tilting the percentages in Sean's favor a little bit, that could potentially swing things quite a bit. It's better than boxing, where they literally fix fights or have people fight absolute cans en route to mostly fake titles. But it kinda sucks if you're into the whole "this is a real sport" type of thing. We bitch about it in the same way NBA players bitch about reffing in NBA elimination games. gotta make that bread

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

another one I can think of for omalley is that all but two of his fights have been on ppv main cards. his first fight in the ufc was second from the top of a ultimate fighter finale. then like his 3rd or 4th fight was at the top of a ppv prelim. everything else was ppv main card fights. fairly crazy for a guy without any sort of legacy outside the ufc.

CarlCX posted:

And three are the circumstances surrounding the title fight itself. Dana shits on everyone who sits around waiting for a title shot, but Sean O'Malley got his victory over Petr Yan last October and the UFC didn't even try to book him at any point in that interim, while every other bantamweight contender fought once or sometimes twice and, in some cases, are already booked for a third. They had him sit around and wait for a title shot so as not to jeopardize it, and they were so bent on it that when Aljamain rightfully pointed out that he'd defended the belt twice in that time and really needed more than three months to recover from injuries and actually prepare for a title fight, Dana White very publicly told him to get hosed and that Sean O'Malley was fighting for a championship either with him or without him.

completely forgot about this bullshit

Ringo Roadagain fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 20, 2023

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Thanks for the wonderful answers, this is truly the best and most knowledgeable group of posters out there :c00l:

It did make me realize right away that, and if you re-read my question in this context that before I read these posts I was extremely narrowly defining "Dana White privilege" as simply work towards a title shot and nothing else. I think that's cause that's how how I defined it in my head when I first heard Tony Ferguson(?) coin the term. But yeah all the other variables- promotion, PPV priority, etc really affects a fighter's ability to earn a living and pick up fights, not just how close they get to the belt. Good poo poo in here as always. That said, I am kind of a little happy for Sean O'Malley cause he definitely proved everybody wrong including myself who thought he didn't stand a chance out there to stand with Aljo, who's looked pretty much invincible other than the Petr fights.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they're probably gonna make merab fight cory while they set up the chito/omalley fight in hopes that sandhagen can solve their merab problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
What has O'Malley's pay been like? That could be another example of DWP.