Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The best part of the Snyder Cut was Cyborg's subplot and that could've been its own movie leading up to Justice League.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Snyder sucks so much I'd poop on him if given the chance

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

It was probably better than the theatrical but it was still a baby super hero movie filled with slop

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

No comic book movie should be four hours long.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

TheKingslayer posted:

No comic book movie should be four hours long.

Speaking of, I'm strapping in right now to watch transformers 7: rise if the beasts.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

why

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

hemale in pain posted:

It was probably better than the theatrical but it was still a baby super hero movie filled with slop

Really just need hollywood to realize I'm fine with slop so long as it's around 90 minutes

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I watched Body of Lies the other night and had no idea it was one of "those" Ridley Scott movies until the credits rolled.

It was not very good and Russel Crowe seemed to literally and figuratively phone in his performance. Leo's face pubes are funny though, and it was fun to see Oscar Isaac. Wasn't expecting that.

Just saw it on Hulu and put it on, big fan of spies, covertly loving poo poo up, double crosses, etc. Do not recommend this one though.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

It is a hoot, even if the underlying message of "PC wimps are going to whitewash the world" is a bit eyebrow-raising in 2023.

Underlying?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Powerful combination of self loathing, depression, completionism, rubbernecking, and nostalgia.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I AM GRANDO posted:

I got a refund at that old animated Beowulf movie because a guy wouldn’t stop laughing at the part where Beowulf gets nude and somebody else pinned him to the ground and punched him in the head a bunch of times. Well, it wasn’t actually a refund, but it was a free pass for another movie at the theater, and I used it to see Southland Tales.

That's trading up tbh

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Kingo Ligma posted:

Laughing at non funny lines, yelling that Kurt's hair or pants look stupid, trying to riff on stuff that just isn't a riff.

In fairness, gently caress the theatre for playing the breakin' trailer beforehand, kinda sets those expectations.

I'm trying to imagine the type of theater that would run a repository screening of Escape From New York but also not throw people out on their rear end for disrupting the show.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
I finally saw Oppenheimer last night
(Al pacino voice in Once Upon A Time in Hollywood)
What a movie!

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Crescent Wrench posted:

I'm trying to imagine the type of theater that would run a repository screening of Escape From New York but also not throw people out on their rear end for disrupting the show.

It's a terrible combination of hipster programming (ie movies I want to see) and hipster staff (can't even be hosed checking tickets / have to get them to stop typing their screenplay and move their MacBook out of the way to buy concessions from them - not an exaggeration).

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I caught Pope's Exorcist on Netflix and my partner wanted to watch it. I normally hate catholic exorcism style movies but this one was okay!

Delightfully cheesy, and I didn't expect Crowe to go diving into what was essentially a Diablo IV dungeon

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

sure okay posted:

I caught Pope's Exorcist on Netflix and my partner wanted to watch it. I normally hate catholic exorcism style movies but this one was okay!

Delightfully cheesy, and I didn't expect Crowe to go diving into what was essentially a Diablo IV dungeon

It’s so good without having any right to be

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Kingo Ligma posted:

have to get them to stop typing their screenplay and move their MacBook out of the way to buy concessions from them - not an exaggeration).

lol okay dude

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Beastie posted:

I watched Body of Lies the other night and had no idea it was one of "those" Ridley Scott movies until the credits rolled.

It was not very good and Russel Crowe seemed to literally and figuratively phone in his performance. Leo's face pubes are funny though, and it was fun to see Oscar Isaac. Wasn't expecting that.

Just saw it on Hulu and put it on, big fan of spies, covertly loving poo poo up, double crosses, etc. Do not recommend this one though.

I remember liking it a lot when I saw it... I thought it was fun and thrilling

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Blue Beetle is reviewing quite well, and it's opening weekend is on path to gross literally thousands of dollars.

It’s about family, and that’s what’s so powerful about it

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Rageaholic posted:

What are people even saying during Escape From New York and The Thing to make it a The Room type situation? Are they quoting lines or just talking over the movie or what?

people were jeering the Norwegian's aim and cheering when Garry bullseyed him through the eye. from there they just cracked jokes about the characters... MacReady loving up a chess computer, Nauls rollerskating in Antarctica, Childs and Palmer gettin high. it's a slow burn and it was the mid2000s so people were gettin antsy for action with shortened attention spans.

it was a weird sitch though. annoying as hell but glad when they shut up

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

It looks like Blue Beetle will (just barely) beat out Barbie for the #1 spot at the box office this weekend. It still only made $25.4 million, though. Budget is estimated at $125 million, so it may not even make back its budget.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

lol if it gets Star Trek Beyond'ed.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ok I did it, I watched rise of the beasts. Was really surprised to see a different director / writer cause it was a Michael Bay movie all the way through. Guess he was a handsy producer.

Has all the usual weird as gently caress badness of the other films plus a but extra, being a 1994 period piece and a prequel.

The movie has the same hatred for people who have nostalgia transformers as all the rest. Once again they got the exact car that one of the most popular characters turned into and made it a completely different character no kid gave a flying gently caress about.

The rest of the movie is dripping with nostalgia for just about anything and everything from the mid 80s to early 90s. The protag and his little brother call each other Sonic and Tails, there's character dialogue directly references Mario, Big, ET, Marky Mark and donkey Kong, and one of the transformers looks as much like thunderbird 2 as they could get away with.

Optimus is even more of a lovely murderous psychopath than previously to the point where one of the other transformers tells him to stop being a dick.

I don't normally like cinema sins type criticism but the storytelling is so bad (like sub best of the worst) in such a high budget, visually stunning work that the cognitive dissonance from it physically hurts:

The beast formers live on an alien planet and have never been to Earth at the start of the film, why do they already turn into animals they don't even know exist?

There's an extended massively destructive robot fight in the middle of New York, and another one in Peru all over the Nazca lines. How the gently caress are the public not aware of them in the other films?

You can't kill off a character that we know exists in the future, there's no narrative tension.

Then there's that weird cargo culty poo poo where Bay doesn't understand why people do things when they make movies. There are wu tang songs in the movie. There are songs not by wu tang in the movie. Guess which is playing when a transformer says "Wu Tang in the house".

Heaps of lovely scatological humour, transformers pissing themselves, saying humans have been inside them etc.

I know Michael bay is still trying to make up for being super racist but you can't just keep being racist and have one of the characters say "yo this poo poo is racist". The line debunking ancient alien poo poo was actually well handled though "we can't take credit for the ingenuity of humans". Course it was a non white character who assumed transformers made the Nazca lines in the first place so....

Tldr there is still only one transformers movie that's kind of ok at best.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wow I can't believe Transformers 8 sucked after the previous 7 Transformers sucked

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Kingo Ligma posted:

there's character dialogue directly references Marky Mark
lol

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

Wow I can't believe Transformers 8 sucked after the previous 7 Transformers sucked

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LanceHunter posted:

It looks like Blue Beetle will (just barely) beat out Barbie for the #1 spot at the box office this weekend. It still only made $25.4 million, though. Budget is estimated at $125 million, so it may not even make back its budget.

https://youtu.be/z5rRZdiu1UE

Kingo Ligma posted:

Ok I did it, I watched rise of the beasts. Was really surprised to see a different director / writer cause it was a Michael Bay movie all the way through. Guess he was a handsy producer.

apropos of Bay, have you seen Ambulance?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

kalel posted:

I remember liking it a lot when I saw it... I thought it was fun and thrilling

Nothing about it really grabbed me, but I can see the good in there.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ok Comboomer posted:

https://youtu.be/z5rRZdiu1UE

apropos of Bay, have you seen Ambulance?

No, I think that's the only one I haven't (cinema discusso tricked me into pain and gain)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Problem with the new Transformers is it doesn't even sound like it's bad in a remotely interesting way.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Kingo Ligma posted:

Has all the usual weird as gently caress badness of the other films plus a but extra, being a 1994 period piece and a prequel.

The movie has the same hatred for people who have nostalgia transformers as all the rest. Once again they got the exact car that one of the most popular characters turned into and made it a completely different character no kid gave a flying gently caress about.

The rest of the movie is dripping with nostalgia for just about anything and everything from the mid 80s to early 90s. The protag and his little brother call each other Sonic and Tails, there's character dialogue directly references Mario, Big, ET, Marky Mark and donkey Kong, and one of the transformers looks as much like thunderbird 2 as they could get away with.

Optimus is even more of a lovely murderous psychopath than previously to the point where one of the other transformers tells him to stop being a dick.

I don't normally like cinema sins type criticism but the storytelling is so bad (like sub best of the worst) in such a high budget, visually stunning work that the cognitive dissonance from it physically hurts:

The beast formers live on an alien planet and have never been to Earth at the start of the film, why do they already turn into animals they don't even know exist?

There's an extended massively destructive robot fight in the middle of New York, and another one in Peru all over the Nazca lines. How the gently caress are the public not aware of them in the other films?

You can't kill off a character that we know exists in the future, there's no narrative tension.

Then there's that weird cargo culty poo poo where Bay doesn't understand why people do things when they make movies. There are wu tang songs in the movie. There are songs not by wu tang in the movie. Guess which is playing when a transformer says "Wu Tang in the house".

Heaps of lovely scatological humour, transformers pissing themselves, saying humans have been inside them etc.

I know Michael bay is still trying to make up for being super racist but you can't just keep being racist and have one of the characters say "yo this poo poo is racist". The line debunking ancient alien poo poo was actually well handled though "we can't take credit for the ingenuity of humans". Course it was a non white character who assumed transformers made the Nazca lines in the first place so....

Tldr there is still only one transformers movie that's kind of ok at best.

One of the things that struck me about it is that for a movie that's supposed to be a glorified toy commercial for transforming action figures you barely see any of the beasts Transformers do any transforming.

Over all the whole thing was dumber than the '80s cartoon and significantly dumber than the 90s show, which was a fluke in quality even at the time

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kingo Ligma posted:

No, I think that's the only one I haven't (cinema discusso tricked me into pain and gain)

it's easily his best work since The Rock

he hired a drone racing prodigy (yes) to do aerial cinematography in a way that 100% serves the movie and isn't gimmicky or tiring at all, and Jake Gyllenhaal shines in one of his bread-and-butter "crazy person fraying at the seams" acting roles

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Kingo Ligma posted:

Pain and Gain is good, but it’s also a peek into the mind of someone who truly and deeply has no hope for humanity. It’s a Coen Brothers movie if the Coens had no sense of empathy.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

s.o. and I had a double bill of mean girls and jurassic park

feels like mean girls depicts the last gasp of a bygone era of cliques that wasn't even really relevant at the time it came out, except perhaps in the nw usa area in which it takes place according to prior discussions from this very thread. the whole africa motif is really strange, I get that lohan's character being a fish out of water is what facilitates the plot but the references to wild animals and the tribal music are kind of on the nose. it also feels kind of weird how tina fey's character is the virtuous moral center of the film given that she's the screenplay writer, wonder what happened there lorne. yet I can't help but think of the story of mark kermode complaining to william friedkin's wife about titanic: mean girls isn't "for" me just as titanic wasn't "for" kermode.

jurassic park (much more "for" me) is a masterpiece, surprise surprise. not a second of the film is wasted. on the topic of whether the cgi holds up: it is at this point very obviously dated. sometimes the perspective of the computer objects' orientation and lighting don't quite line up with the alignment of the camera, and your brain will notice. in some cases this kind of cgi error is even more egregious than ps2 graphics that flow seamlessly with the camera (first example that comes to mind is black panther, especially the final boss fight), because at least those you immediately notice as opposed to ones that tingle the back of your brain in an annoying way. it's not a unique problem, it's endemic to early computer graphics before they nailed the movement down after a few decades. and in context it's clearly a technical achievement and represents a generation-defining leap forward in cinema

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The pope’s exorcist was one I went into expecting it would be something to rip on but it won me over bigtime almost immediately and I love it unironically.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Mean Girls is a bit of a relic of a bygone era, but in its time it was definitely a massive leap forward from movies like Clueless a decade before (or all the John Hughes movies a decade before that). The fact that it was based on/inspired by a self-help book instead of Jane Austen probably played a lot into that. Nowadays movies like Booksmart are much more relevant to the youth of today, but we probably wouldn't have gotten there without Mean Girls paving the way.

Anyways, we'll always have the Trixie and Katya react episode on it...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pf7L9DLXoA

Barudak
May 7, 2007

super sweet best pal posted:

Problem with the new Transformers is it doesn't even sound like it's bad in a remotely interesting way.

Its this. Its a 2 out of 5 film that hits its 2 without stumbling upon anything interesting.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

Pain and Gain is good, but it’s also a peek into the mind of someone who truly and deeply has no hope for humanity. It’s a Coen Brothers movie if the Coens had no sense of empathy.

I think about "I don't just want everything you have... I want you not to have it" sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

kalel posted:

s.o. and I had a double bill of mean girls and jurassic park

feels like mean girls depicts the last gasp of a bygone era of cliques that wasn't even really relevant at the time it came out, except perhaps in the nw usa area in which it takes place according to prior discussions from this very thread. the whole africa motif is really strange, I get that lohan's character being a fish out of water is what facilitates the plot but the references to wild animals and the tribal music are kind of on the nose. it also feels kind of weird how tina fey's character is the virtuous moral center of the film given that she's the screenplay writer, wonder what happened there lorne. yet I can't help but think of the story of mark kermode complaining to william friedkin's wife about titanic: mean girls isn't "for" me just as titanic wasn't "for" kermode.

jurassic park (much more "for" me) is a masterpiece, surprise surprise. not a second of the film is wasted. on the topic of whether the cgi holds up: it is at this point very obviously dated. sometimes the perspective of the computer objects' orientation and lighting don't quite line up with the alignment of the camera, and your brain will notice. in some cases this kind of cgi error is even more egregious than ps2 graphics that flow seamlessly with the camera (first example that comes to mind is black panther, especially the final boss fight), because at least those you immediately notice as opposed to ones that tingle the back of your brain in an annoying way. it's not a unique problem, it's endemic to early computer graphics before they nailed the movement down after a few decades. and in context it's clearly a technical achievement and represents a generation-defining leap forward in cinema

To me it's sort of beside the point whether special effects hold up, in the same way that it doesn't really matter whether a movie's acting style or score is of the era in which it was made. The question (again, for me) is the same as with everything else about a movie: is it made with care and attention? Stop-motion will always look like stop-motion, but Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion will always look good and charming because he was an artist. The distinction of Jurassic Park is that it uses CG as a tool to tell the story. A more garbage movie would treat anything CG like it's supposed to impress you or be the center of attention because it's this impressive new form of putting something on the screen. Jurassic Park is a movie about spectacle, but the spectacle is dinosaurs tearing poo poo up and not the technology that represents the dinosaurs, imo.