Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
When did Christie pivot from being a lap dog to being a critic though? I think the timing of that change is pretty important. I think it was around January 6th but I can't recall for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Chris Christie is the closest thing to a respectable candidate for the 2024 cycle currently - largely because he's the only significant candidate that isn't giving Trump his full support. I'm not a fan of a lot of his past policies and statements, but at least he's bucking the trend.

Agreed. And, yeah, it says a loving whole lot about the modern GOP when people like Chris Christie, Liz Cheney and even Mike Pence are coming off as semi sane, reasonable Republican candidates. Overton Window, etc. etc.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

When did Christie pivot from being a lap dog to being a critic though? I think the timing of that change is pretty important. I think it was around January 6th but I can't recall for sure.

That seems right, but he's also been pretty vocal about denying white nationalism/supremacy, and all of the fringe conspiracy theory poo poo like QAnon and election fraud. He's still very much a Republican and a relatively slippery one - but he's not doubling down on everything the way most of the GOP field has.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I feel like Trump giving Christie Covid and Christie getting seriously ill from it may have been a turning point, especially since Trump clealry knew he had it and completely disregarded Christie's safety.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Zwabu posted:

I feel like Trump giving Christie Covid and Christie getting seriously ill from it may have been a turning point, especially since Trump clealry knew he had it and completely disregarded Christie's safety.

gently caress I'd totally forgotten about Trump trying to kill the entire Republican field with COVID. What a hilarious time that was

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

It's when Trump tossed Christie to the curb.

Christie, unlike many Republicans, hasn't sacrificed *all* his pride on the altar of ambition. He also no longer has a political career to protect, so offending the Trumpists won't cost him his post.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Failed Imagineer posted:

gently caress I'd totally forgotten about Trump trying to kill the entire Republican field with COVID. What a hilarious time that was

he took herman cain from us :negative:

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
He stuck with the team even after Kushner spite crushed his AG bid, which should have been a tip off but wasn’t. I think it was the covid death scare that shocked some sense into him. Everyone entering trumps presence was getting covid tested and so was trump, so for trump to personally infect Christie (who probably had to have a nasal swap to enter the debate prep room with trump to begin with), that’s some next level galling poo poo. Things were scarier pre-vaccine, too.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I do find it very darkly hilarious that it plausibly took Trump personally putting Christie in genuine mortal peril for Christie to make the revolutionary step of beginning to say bad things about Trump in public again.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I do find it very darkly hilarious that it plausibly took Trump personally putting Christie in genuine mortal peril for Christie to make the revolutionary step of beginning to say bad things about Trump in public again.

This feels like a Pence joke, somehow. We live in a weird loving timeline.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

PhazonLink posted:

libraries even have their own digital streaming services. (oh and of course digital book and other lite borrows)

like yes its probably limited to older stuff. but whatever, its older classic stuff.

The two main digital borrowing apps I use for my library are Libby & Hoopla. Libby has an excellent catalog of digital & audiobooks that are easy to search & within seconds they are downloaded. I’ve found they do have many new releases & while you may need to put big hits on hold it’s a reasonable wait & they make it easy to build “want to read lists.”

Hoopla has movies, tv shows, & comics. I don’t use the show options much but their comic library is good & it’s fun to browse by author & publisher. They do good work highlighting work like Eisner nominees or having a section on Secret War comics when the show came out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It's when Trump tossed Christie to the curb.

Christie, unlike many Republicans, hasn't sacrificed *all* his pride on the altar of ambition. He also no longer has a political career to protect, so offending the Trumpists won't cost him his post.

I think Christie is one of the few Republicans actually planning for the post Trump GOP. Almost everyone else is trying to figure out how they can be the next Trump, while Christie realizes MAGA is a cult and it's not sticking around after the Orange Messiah is gone.

All those new voters who showed up from the electoral wilds to offset the voters who turned away in abject horror aren't voting for Trump Lite. And nobody is going to capture that weird Carnival Barker Wrestling 80's Business lightning in a bottle again. Christie is breaking as cleanly with Trump as he can for the sake of future failed runs at the White House.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As far as I can tell, Pence is mostly running as the same conservative Christian that he was prior to being VP but without the populism. Needless to say it's gone over about as well as a lead balloon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I thought it would be a good time to check in on the DeSantis campaign. He's really needed good PR, and I think that today could be the day that....

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1693064250678252026?s=20

....oh

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Honestly, it probably makes him more relatable.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Clarste posted:

When the alternatives for comparison are boiled eggs on a stick and [INSERT HUMAN LAUGHTER HERE] then "more" is not a particularly high bar to clear.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
it kinda bothers me the QR code is placed so high up on the vehicle. like yeah theyre error resistant, but anyone right next tothe bus has a steep viewing angle. which is why you want to place it lower.

maybe. I guess anything with in arms reach is vandal vulnerable to someone with black and white tape squares.

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Politico posted:

Biden and the DNC reported raising $72 million in the second quarter of 2023. Trump’s joint fundraising committee earned $53.8 million in the first half of the year — but his camp spent $57 million in the same time period, according to POLITICO’s analysis.

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/08/01/biden-trump-2024-poll-00109161

Politico posted:

Trump saw slightly more support from his base than Biden, with 88 percent of registered Republicans selecting Trump versus 83 percent of Democrats choosing Biden. Independents favored Biden with 42 percent support over 37 percent for Trump.

Look for the swing states

drawkcab si eman ym fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 20, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PhazonLink posted:

it kinda bothers me the QR code is placed so high up on the vehicle. like yeah theyre error resistant, but anyone right next tothe bus has a steep viewing angle. which is why you want to place it lower.

maybe. I guess anything with in arms reach is vandal vulnerable to someone with black and white tape squares.

Like anyone is going to QR scan the bus instead of googling Ron DeSantis website.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Clarste posted:

Oh yeah. I can’t tell you how many times I bottomed out my million dollar campaign bus on the road.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

AlternateNu posted:

Oh yeah. I can’t tell you how many times I bottomed out my million dollar campaign bus on the road.

Who amongst us, etc

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Fighting Trousers posted:

Who amongst us, etc

It's me, the only bus driver desantis could get for his facerake world tour. gonna navigate around a 50k+ gwvr charter beast on spontaneous routes using only google maps

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Staluigi posted:

It's me, the only bus driver desantis could get for his facerake world tour. gonna navigate around a 50k+ gwvr charter beast on spontaneous routes using only google maps

Now take the scenic route via the 11 foot 8 bridge

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PhazonLink posted:

oh no, you've tickled the signage part of my brain and now i'm wondering if there's a recommended standard

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Nenonen posted:

Now take the scenic route via the 11 foot 8 bridge

"a little off the top please"

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
If you're a Republican voter trying to pick out the primary candidate most likely to win the general, it's gotta be Trump, right?

My thought process is that there's X% of the electorate who will vote for Trump but won't vote for any other GOP nominee, and X is decently high because Trump will nonstop trash-talk that GOP nominee.

And there's Y% of the electorate who will vote for Biden/not vote if the nominee is Trump, but who would note vote/vote GOP is the nominee is someone else.

Going purely off intuition, I think X > Y. That Trump has done such a good job making himself the GOP brand that if they nominate someone else, they'll lose a lot of their own voters without neutralizing potential Dem voters/attracting new GOP voters.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Staluigi posted:

Desantis adds promise to mobilize the us military against Storrow Drive to his official platform.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Civilized Fishbot posted:

If you're a Republican voter trying to pick out the primary candidate most likely to win the general, it's gotta be Trump, right?

My thought process is that there's X% of the electorate who will vote for Trump but won't vote for any other GOP nominee, and X is decently high because Trump will nonstop trash-talk that GOP nominee.

And there's Y% of the electorate who will vote for Biden/not vote if the nominee is Trump, but who would note vote/vote GOP is the nominee is someone else.

Going purely off intuition, I think X > Y. That Trump has done such a good job making himself the GOP brand that if they nominate someone else, they'll lose a lot of their own voters without neutralizing potential Dem voters/attracting new GOP voters.

Honestly, I just don't think there's any way to tell. There are so many countless variables and everyone assigns their own weight to every issue to where it's infinite monkey pollsters on infinite monkey polls.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Any other Republican is going to lose if Trump sabotages them, but I don't think people voting in the Republican primary are thinking about that. But Trump is the former president and half the Republican voters think he won in 2020, so it makes sense that they'd think he's most electable.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yes, no, maybe. It's more about who the party apparatus backs and solidifies around and which candidate is most successful at getting the faith of certain blocks. I honestly think Pence will get the nod, despite the trumpist's hatred of him. The evangelicals + corporate republicans own the Republican party - not the MAGA loyalists. I think in 2016 Trump snuck past that block primarily due to vote-splitting in the primary and he then pivoted and promised tax cuts + abortion + pence to the evangelicals to get them on board for the general.

I honestly don't think that's going to happen again. It'll be a true libertarian economic broke-brain (vivek) or an evangelical monster and I think pence is likeliest because he's a white guy. Haley I think is who liberals think the party will back after Trump, but I don't think she passes the RINO purity test.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

El Mero Mero posted:

The evangelicals + corporate republicans own the Republican party - not the MAGA loyalists.
After seeing Trump in 2020 (not 2016, that was all on Hilary + the media) and seeing Bernie in 2016 come tantalizingly close despite being the most hated man in the DNC and Dem Leadership, I don't know if we haven't reached a tipping point where voters actually get to have their say now instead of being forced to hold their nose. In the GOP's case specifically they've had purestrain fascism and they aren't going to accept going back to a milquetoast guy.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

Yes, no, maybe. It's more about who the party apparatus backs and solidifies around and which candidate is most successful at getting the faith of certain blocks. I honestly think Pence will get the nod, despite the trumpist's hatred of him. The evangelicals + corporate republicans own the Republican party - not the MAGA loyalists. I think in 2016 Trump snuck past that block primarily due to vote-splitting in the primary and he then pivoted and promised tax cuts + abortion + pence to the evangelicals to get them on board for the general.

I honestly don't think that's going to happen again. It'll be a true libertarian economic broke-brain (vivek) or an evangelical monster and I think pence is likeliest because he's a white guy. Haley I think is who liberals think the party will back after Trump, but I don't think she passes the RINO purity test.

I think the evangelicals are all-in on Trump. The crassness, the infidelity, none of it matters because “he’s being guided by god now.” He got Roe overturned for them, and Obergefell is next.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Evangelicals like Trump because he's racist and he gave them Dobbs, many "business conservatives" are the MasterCraft dealership owners who stormed the capitol, and the whole theory about secret owners who control everything just doesn't work out. Trump is the highest fundraising candidate, you can't rig presidential primaries like the Virginia GOP did against Amanda Chase, and candidates can't generally buy their way to victory in federal elections (the election-buying issue is in local politics).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Evangelicals love rigid hierarchy and punishing deviants, and trump ticks all their boxes for someone to obey, insofar as he is a chauvinistic old white man who regularly informs women, nonwhites, and the young that they are below him and that he will punish them. Actually being a member of their religion or following the rules of the religion (mercy, forgiveness, believing that jesus is divine or that jehovah exists) is beside the point, and they’ll give excuses (jehovah uses the faithless as instruments, he may repent later, he has already repented in secret), but really they don’t care about any of that. Like, they don’t have to even have cognitive dissonance about it because it’s irrelevant to them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Staluigi posted:

The hilarious thing is that the railroad raised the bridge an additional 8 inches in 2019 (earning it the name the 11 foot 8+8 bridge) and not even a month passed before it canopened another trailer.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

El Mero Mero posted:

I honestly think Pence will get the nod, despite the trumpist's hatred of him.

There is no universe or reality where Mike Pence ever won or wins the nomination. He's the guy everyone hates, but maybe not as much as that guy. He was going to get booted in Indiana until Trump saved his rear end. He was chosen as a desperate play to prevent Chris Christie or someone else who might do something to prevent everyone else's grift.

If Trump was no more tomorrow, there would be a free for all. We wouldn't be looking at a clown car of candidates, we'd be looking at a full, giant circus. Mike Pence is both too boring and too unlikeable to win in any scenario where he doesn't just kill everyone else himself.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Trump is a lock for the nomination because he's loving hilarious and everyone else in the primary is a complete dweeb. I'm guessing that a lot of the MAGA cult doesn't even really believe the stolen election BS and other related stuff, they just brush it aside/go with it because he's charismatic and he pisses off the people that they don't like.

I really feel like politics is a lot simpler than some people think. People overthink this poo poo a lot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The big problem is that none of Trump’s opponents can really attack Trump on anything without pissing off the same voters they are trying to get to support them

There’s really no way to overcome this with the base

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Craig K posted:

in all fairness, boomer conservatives still hate "Hanoi Jane" Fonda

Her general anti-war activities , even the visit to Hanoi, would not have been viewed as badly if not for the photo with her with the AA gun. She even admits the AA photo was naive and dumb on her part. frankly she had good intentions and she made a real mistake but none of that justifies the vitriol she experienced and still experiences today about that trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

James Garfield posted:

Any other Republican is going to lose if Trump sabotages them, but I don't think people voting in the Republican primary are thinking about that. But Trump is the former president and half the Republican voters think he won in 2020, so it makes sense that they'd think he's most electable.

70% actually, according to polls I've seen

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/03/politics/cnn-poll-republicans-think-2020-election-illegitimate/index.html

CNN Poll: Percentage of Republicans who think Biden’s 2020 win was illegitimate ticks back up near 70%

This, to me, is why any talk about "reaching out" to GOP voters or attempting to be rational with them is a non starter and a complete waste of time. Dems need to focus solely on motivating and turning out their base, hopefully by actually delivering things they care about. Not trying to peel off non existent open minded Republicans.

I AM GRANDO posted:

Evangelicals love rigid hierarchy and punishing deviants

Well...except for one well known deviant