Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Like the Kardashians, I have only ever heard the name “Mr. Beast” two places:

-goons foaming at the mouth while saying he is as bad as Hitler for making videos

-my seven year old a hundred times a day when she randomly says “Mr. Beast!!!!” Regardless of context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Thanks to LA Beast I one day hope to be in a situation where somebody I dislike needs something from me and I agree to help as long as they recreate the video where he drinks all that goddamn olive oil.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Air Skwirl posted:

Aren't his viewers mostly children. Probably they're shittier kids than most others, but still less morally culpable.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure his audience is mostly kids. I admit I don't really understand the whole philanthropy treadmill he's running and I know he donates a significant amount to charitable causes off of the advertisements he gets on his videos, like, his money is doing a lot more behind the scenes than just the stuff he makes videos on (that gets more money), but the numbers involved are hard for me to grasp. Even if he's putting more money to charity than he's keeping, though, the entire thing depresses me that philanthropy has to be made somehow entertaining and a product of capitalistic consumption. Like, even in the best possible scenario where he really is trying to help people and doing a lot with the money and not just using philanthropy as a tax haven like a lot of rich people, it's fair I find it depressing and distasteful, right?

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
I've said it before, but L.A. Beast could easily do whatever the hell it is Mr. Beast does, but Mr. Beast could never chug an entire six-pack in five seconds and then eat a cactus.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I watched it. It turns out Libya is the best country, beating out Slovenia by virtue of penalty kicks.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

"errors" like this drive engagement and inspire comments. even in this very thread. even from ME

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Powered Descent posted:

It only recently dawned on me that Mr. Beast is a completely different person than L.A. Beast.

And both are also separate from KGBeast.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

"errors" like this drive engagement and inspire comments. even in this very thread. even from ME

The internet was a mistake.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

which one transforms into beast mode?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

-goons foaming at the mouth while saying he is as bad as Hitler for making videos

-my seven year old a hundred times a day when she randomly says “Mr. Beast!!!!” Regardless of context

Dang, you're real cool mister!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

kazil posted:

which one transforms into beast mode?

LA Beast never isn't in beast mode.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
LA beast the man who sweat olive oil

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
i honestly forgot about that guy, what's the worst thing he's ever eaten?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lobok posted:

Mr Beast was better when he was just sitting in his basic computer chair driving himself insane for views.

:hmmyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWcldHxHFpo&t=37s

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/phil_lol_ogist/status/1693247157216612840

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

According to the goon a few posts above yours your seven year old is a piece of poo poo, as is my eight year old.

Lol Mr. Beast isn't even in the same zip code as the worst social media influencers and while there are perfectly valid criticisms to level at him the goon hate boner for him is weird and says a lot more about the goon than Mr. Beast.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

RFC2324 posted:

shockwave therapy sounds more like they flick it a few times

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Can someone quickly summarize what his schtick is? Cause I can't get a handle on it. I know about the philanthropy stuff, but I can't wrap my head around 7 year olds (or anyone, really) watching half an hour of some dude count to 100,000. At least LA Beast provides some comedy with his stunts.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Can someone quickly summarize what his schtick is? Cause I can't get a handle on it. I know about the philanthropy stuff, but I can't wrap my head around 7 year olds (or anyone, really) watching half an hour of some dude count to 100,000. At least LA Beast provides some comedy with his stunts.

Praise be, the algorithm provides

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mostly game show-type stuff for large cash prizes, spending ridiculous amounts of money on stuff that's like 30 seconds of a 10-minute video (blowing up a Lambo or something along those lines), reveling in his ability to buy super rich people stuff (renting a $100,000 night hotel room), and torturing himself and his friends (spending a week on a raft in the ocean).

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Lucky fuckin' you, I live in the same city as him and he is inescapable. Even one of the local news affiliates has a regular feature about what he's doing.

PostNouveau posted:

Mostly game show-type stuff for large cash prizes, spending ridiculous amounts of money on stuff that's like 30 seconds of a 10-minute video (blowing up a Lambo or something along those lines), reveling in his ability to buy super rich people stuff (renting a $100,000 night hotel room), and torturing himself and his friends (spending a week on a raft in the ocean).

When we first moved up here he opened a "free store" where people could walk in and grab game consoles at no cost. At least that stunt would have been useful for me

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Children will watch anything so really your fighting the Algorithm more than anything else. Which he got really really good at

Though the fact there are hardcore fans in this thread defending him means he does inspire some loyalty but that parasocial relationship is needed to be a content creator

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I know goons are prone to hyperbole but we have been seeing exposes on at least 3 worse youtubers (linus toxic workplace tips, ukelele pedophile and abusive content mill triangle avatar lady) while Mr beast is nowhere near those levels (or shown to be there yet...?) so maybe we don't have to call him the literal child of the antichrist

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Anyway back to some good tweets please like this dog https://twitter.com/OptimoPrincipi/status/1693281637939712187?t=ARGz0aSij-9r3L0GgTClEw&s=19

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

maybe we don't have to call him the literal child of the antichrist

"Psh, "Mr Beast" is my father, just call me Beast, or Chadly. Hey let's rap."

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I know goons are prone to hyperbole but we have been seeing exposes on at least 3 worse youtubers (linus toxic workplace tips, ukelele pedophile and abusive content mill triangle avatar lady) while Mr beast is nowhere near those levels (or shown to be there yet...?) so maybe we don't have to call him the literal child of the antichrist

I think Mr Beast is on a similar level of toxic workplace as LTT. So you can rest assured that he's a huge pile of poo poo.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

There's room in my heart to hate all of them actually. They're all poo poo.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I would pour boiling pitch on Mr Beast if he ever came near my castle walls.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

abusive content mill triangle avatar lady

Who is this?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

grittyreboot posted:

Who is this?

Ellen DeGeneres I think

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Meanwhile, I wish Gerald was my neighbor.

https://twitter.com/geraldstratfor3/status/1689211407558983680?s=20
https://twitter.com/geraldstratfor3/status/1691727874850521282?s=20
https://twitter.com/geraldstratfor3/status/1688464861510979584?s=20

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

D-Pad posted:

According to the goon a few posts above yours your seven year old is a piece of poo poo, as is my eight year old.

Lol Mr. Beast isn't even in the same zip code as the worst social media influencers and while there are perfectly valid criticisms to level at him the goon hate boner for him is weird and says a lot more about the goon than Mr. Beast.

Sorry dude, verdicts out, this YouTuber and all 20 million children who watch his videos are going straight to hell.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Mr Beast was apparently one of the early colluders in the pandemic crypto scams. Not that he minted his own coin that I'm aware of but some finance youtube scammer got him and a couple other youtubers together to collude on some existing coin (or that scammers coin they were going to mint? idk, he's an rear end in a top hat either way) to do basically a pump and dump.

His videos, from someone who doesn't watch but sees titles and thumbnails occasionally, seem to be taking the ideas kids would have that're basically, "wouldn't it be cool if..." and doing them for real.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

He's got some stiff competition for worst influencer, but he got rich giving away money and products paid for by sponsors and pretending he was being charitable, uses his fan base for unpaid labor, and the squid games reenactment is just awful in principle and allegedly rigged to boot.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

My kids want to grow up and help people see like Mr Beast does. They haven’t seen it, but heard on the bus that he has a friend who was a boy and is now a girl.

While not as dope as bluey, I am not worried about them watching Mr Beast.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

There's an episode of Elementary where Sherlock solves a murder by finding a body because it was buried next to a tree that was noticeably taller than other trees the city planted at the same time.

Makes me wonder what else Gerald has buried in his garden.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I don’t get the extreme Mr Beast hate either. I’d prefer if he ended every video with something to the effect of “it’s bullshit I have to do this, we should have a functioning social safety net” but I’ll take incremental good over none at all.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Mr. Beast once hit me with a car. Then when he saw my body in the rear view mirror he it in reverse.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Snowmankilla posted:

My kids want to grow up and help people see like Mr Beast does. They haven’t seen it, but heard on the bus that he has a friend who was a boy and is now a girl.

While not as dope as bluey, I am not worried about them watching Mr Beast.

You should be. He's cementing the concept of the benevolent rich person, bestowing health and money on the lucky few who get to prostrate themselves before him, in front of an audience of millions, in your childrens malleable minds. If we worship and praise him he might save our lives!!! What a good and great man he is!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
it's ok for adults to not like the children's entertainer and talk about how what he does isn't as good as the reputation he gets, but also for kids to enjoy the potentially problematic children's entertainer.