Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
As dumb as it is to print basics as secret lair drops, some of them are pretty neat:

Though, if we're talking pictures of realistic or semi-realistic vistas, I've always been partial of the Peterson Euro land:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you got like 25 of them in the Lairs instead of 4 it would be worth it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have thought about getting a print set of the Rebecca Guys lands and the plains is my fave

both great entries

keep the plains recs coming, I have a mono white commander deck that needs plenty of swag in the lands department

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I'm personally a huge fan of the stained glass lands

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah this is the part that really bothers me about the basic land secret lairs

Some of the art is great but if I'm paying that much for basics I'd better get a whole bunch of them

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Play a 5c deck that only needs one of each basic

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I got this hanging on my wall above my computer =)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Play a 5c deck that only needs one of each basic

I'm not a degenerate.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Aphrodite posted:

And this is why the John Darnielle mountains is the only basic land secret lair that actually works as play pieces.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
We should just require that this thread be 100% land art chat from now on because it is way more interesting than the endless churn of WOTC content.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

jeeves posted:

We should just require that this thread be 100% land art chat from now on because it is way more interesting than the endless churn of WOTC content.

Sounds good to me.

I rarely play blue, but when I do I always use the big-brained astral projection or whatever the hell is going on here Chippy Island

If I'm playing blue I want to feel like Fadam's avatar

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

Sounds good to me.

I rarely play blue, but when I do I always use the big-brained astral projection or whatever the hell is going on here Chippy Island

That's just how Esper looked like, grid skies and everything.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Richard Wright's original Ravnica basics were by far my favorite of the new-frame lands. So evocative of the plane, but clearly the type they claimed to be.

There are some all-time greats that a lot of people agree on like John Avon's, but these are my personal favorites.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
That faux-Guru Land Swamp is amazing, I forget what set it's from though

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

This is one of my favourite forests.

Initial guess for this would've been a mountain

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The frame is awful, but the SCUMM lands are solid snow lands.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

I don't remember this lair at all. I looked it up and I'd have been really tempted.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Don't have any images but I've always loved the og zendikar full art lands. The bowl island is so good.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

The frame is awful, but the SCUMM lands are solid snow lands.

woah.. those are so cool and it's a shame that the frame is sorta lame

Was that a secret lair or something?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
the secret lair land sets work pretty well for a cube at least

choosing basic lands for a cube is very fun

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
my favorite land isn't actually my own, it's the most expensive and rare card in our group and usually my buddy announces it by saying "guys can you move your beers off the table?"

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Plains? No. Trains.

ok that's not actually my favorite

But my default Mountains and Swamps on arena are absolutely these:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

rickiep00h posted:

Richard Wright's original Ravnica basics were by far my favorite of the new-frame lands. So evocative of the plane, but clearly the type they claimed to be.

There are some all-time greats that a lot of people agree on like John Avon's, but these are my personal favorites.

I dunno, I feel like these are all just the same art with different color tints applied in photoshop lol

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Not pictured: A guy in the distance trying to dodge two hundred lightning bolts so he can get a better sword.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Vandar posted:

Not pictured: A guy in the distance trying to dodge two hundred lightning bolts so he can get a better sword.

A doll, not a sword.

The sword was from chocobo racing.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

achieving a time of 0 seconds while chocobo racing*

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Captain Invictus posted:

I have a bunch of this one, and if there's anywhere I can get the playmat for it that you know of, please let me know, it's my favorite non-unfinity-planet land.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/originalmagicart/johannes-voss-playmat-collection-2023

So yeah the Kickstarter is “closed” but let me tell you: I got my Dog Plains playmat in Voss’s first Kickstarter by emailing the Kickstarter manager of this particular project, just asking them if/when the playmats would go on sale at a regular sales site. They asked if I wanted to go ahead and be added as a late pledge to the Kickstarter. I agreed, paid, and got my playmat at the same time as everyone else during fulfillment.

So if you really want it, shoot an email to the KS folks (should be linked somewhere on the project’s KS page that I linked) and ask if you can be added. You should be able to then pay and select the Dog Plains.

It’s worth it, the playmat is soooo pretty.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Also to add to Plains chat: I have the John Avon Unhinged Plains in foil, and that thing is loving gorgeous.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Captain Invictus posted:

I absolutely adore the planetary basics, but I think the Unfinity Plains Planet is my favorite of all of them. it's gorgeous and I love the way they tried to replicate the feel of a flat plain with the large number of closely-layered rings.

I have a bunch of this one, and if there's anywhere I can get the playmat for it that you know of, please let me know, it's my favorite non-unfinity-planet land.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/originalmagicart/johannes-voss-playmat-collection-2023 is closed but there may be extras or something, take a look.

ETA: For some reason this was showing the spaceic as the doggo plains; nevermind.

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 21, 2023

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

This is still my favorite island art. Love me some bowls.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TotalHell posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/originalmagicart/johannes-voss-playmat-collection-2023

So yeah the Kickstarter is “closed” but let me tell you: I got my Dog Plains playmat in Voss’s first Kickstarter by emailing the Kickstarter manager of this particular project, just asking them if/when the playmats would go on sale at a regular sales site. They asked if I wanted to go ahead and be added as a late pledge to the Kickstarter. I agreed, paid, and got my playmat at the same time as everyone else during fulfillment.

So if you really want it, shoot an email to the KS folks (should be linked somewhere on the project’s KS page that I linked) and ask if you can be added. You should be able to then pay and select the Dog Plains.

It’s worth it, the playmat is soooo pretty.
gently caress yeah, thanks! it's got a "late backer" option and just lets you buy the thing straight up. grabbed that, was tempted by some of the others too but honestly I'm happy with the dog

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Test Pattern posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/originalmagicart/johannes-voss-playmat-collection-2023 is closed but there may be extras or something, take a look.

ETA: For some reason this was showing the spaceic as the doggo plains; nevermind.

What's the difference between regular and stitched?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

johnny park posted:

I dunno, I feel like these are all just the same art with different color tints applied in photoshop lol

There were much worse offenders in that sense from Rav. Some of their lands individually were great, but same-y taken together.

What I like about Wright's is the composition and attention to Magic's cues to what "makes" a land card look like a specific type. The Plains has the horizon line between the buildings and sky, the Island has the pools and mists, the Swamp feels like a boggy tidal grove, the Mountain is jagged and fiery, the Forest is lush and the trees overwhelm the architecture. From across the table, what they are as a type pops very clearly without the color.

That said, I get it. A lot of the later Ravnica lands felt that way to me, as it seems like it's hard to depict multiple biomes whule still getting the requisite skyscrapers in there. I just like these ones best.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

What's the difference between regular and stitched?

stitched refers to the edges. playmats with stitched edges will last much longer.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Judgy Fucker posted:

Sounds good to me.

All the Chippy Esper lands are the best.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Arivia posted:

stitched refers to the edges. playmats with stitched edges will last much longer.

Oh, well, gotta protect my doggy

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Speaking of islands, it's a crime that Jump/Start only came with one themed land per pack, with m20 lands filling out the rest because by right I should have like 30 of the best island instead of 2

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The trade off is you lose some of the art with stitched edges, but that’s really only a concern for a custom playmat. They accommodate for a large project like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

LifeLynx posted:

That faux-Guru Land Swamp is amazing, I forget what set it's from though

Shards of Alara

Only registered members can see post attachments!