Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

So being in the presence of God makes people horny?

edit lol what a snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I feel like it's one of those things they figured out was probably a mistranslation a lot of times but kept going with it because the artists were having fun.

For Michelangelo my understanding is that he knew it was a mistranslation. His statue of Moses has the face of his patron. He gave it horns to call his patron a cuckold.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

sometimes a weird snipe is better if not called directly. permabanned poster goldencalf59 taught me that

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bar Ran Dun posted:

For Michelangelo my understanding is that he knew it was a mistranslation. His statue of Moses has the face of his patron. He gave it horns to call his patron a cuckold.

That is a pretty epic troll, not gonna lie. Didn't some artist put people he knew in real life into his paintings of Hell? Hieronymus Bosch maybe?

Or am I confusing this with Dante's Inferno the book? Dangit

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Rappaport posted:

That is a pretty epic troll, not gonna lie. Didn't some artist put people he knew in real life into his paintings of Hell? Hieronymus Bosch maybe?

Or am I confusing this with Dante's Inferno the book? Dangit

Pretty sure Bosch did it, know for a fact Dante did it, and Michelangelo did it AGAIN in The Last Judgement. It seems that was just how creative types trolled people in the Renaissance

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Some court musician snickering to himself as he composes a song with a leitmotif which calls his patron's virility into question

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
And his musician friends are all laughing at the excellent burn. I think musicians do this to this day.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Brawnfire posted:

Some court musician snickering to himself as he composes a song with a leitmotif which calls his patron's virility into question

in the moment its a risky thing, but i have a lot of respect for it behind a cushion of centuries

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Samovar posted:

There's over 360 pages, so likely this has been mentioned before, but on the off chance it hasn't:

In the bible, Exodus 34:30, the Vulgate translation stated: Ignorabat quod cornuta esset facies ejus. Qui videbant faciem Moses esse cornuta. This basically means that Moses (after experiencing God) returned to the Hebrews with his face (unknowingly) radiating a divine light.

However, because of translation foolishness, cornatum in Latin can be translated as either 'shining' or 'horned'. This has lead to a number of early representations of Moses in Europe with him having weird protrubances on his head.

Actually the Vulgate text itself was a mistranslation from Hebrew.

Pseudodoxia Epidemica posted:

The ground of this absurdity, was surely a mistake of the Hebrew Text, in the history of Moses when he descended from the Mount; upon the affinity of Kæren and Karan, that is, an horn, and to shine, which is one quality of horn: The Vulgar Translation conforming unto the former. Ignorabat quod cornuta esset facies ejus. Qui videbant faciem Moses esse cornutam. But the Chaldee paraphrase, translated by Paulus Fagius, hath otherwise expressed it. Moses nesciebat quod multus esset splendor gloriæ vultus ejus. Et viderunt filii Israel quod multa esset claritas gloriæ faciei Moses. The expression of the Septuagint is as large, δεδόξασται ἡ ὄψις τοῦ χρώματος τοῦ προσώπου, Glorificatus est aspectus cutis, seu coloris faciei.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

For a lot of Renaissance art the faces are the patrons/wives/mistress/brothers/etc. Portraits weren’t a thing in certain time periods. So it’s not abnormal for specific folks faces to be in the art.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bar Ran Dun posted:

For a lot of Renaissance art the faces are the patrons/wives/mistress/brothers/etc. Portraits weren’t a thing in certain time periods. So it’s not abnormal for specific folks faces to be in the art.

i liek the one where he put himself 50 times in a crowd all like ;) :) :o: :mad: etc

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Asterite34 posted:

So being in the presence of God makes people horny?

edit lol what a snype

Alexander the Great was likewise depicted with horns to show his divine origin. I don't know if it was a common trope for experiences with the divine in that culture, or a just a one off though.

https://www.artic.edu/artworks/5764/tetradrachm-coin-portraying-alexander-the-great

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I ended up reading a lot about the creation of The Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks by Ilia Repin. Most of the faces are portraits of his friends, colleagues, students etc.

One of the funnier details is that the guy with the bald head right in the front center refused to be included but...

quote:

The "Top of a bald head" belongs to Georgi Alekseyev, who was Grand Chamberlain of the court of the Russian Emperor, in charge of court finances. He was invited to pose for the role, but refused, as he felt it was undignified. Instead, Repin sketched the back of his head while Alekseyev was engaged in looking at an exhibit of prints. When he saw the painting, Alekseyev recognized his head, and was not pleased, but by then the painting was in the imperial collection.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

Pretty sure Bosch did it, know for a fact Dante did it, and Michelangelo did it AGAIN in The Last Judgement. It seems that was just how creative types trolled people in the Renaissance

He also painted the the saint Zacharias using pope Julius II as model. He also painted an angel making the fica sign behind his back:

Don't piss off Michelangelo seems to be the lesson here.

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 20:40 on Aug 12, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What's the fica sign

Is that what that one dude did in Dante's Inferno and God smote him out of existence

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The angel was throwing up horns yo

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

verbal enema posted:

What's the fica sign

Is that what that one dude did in Dante's Inferno and God smote him out of existence

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fig_sign

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Ah iwas right!!

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Alhazred posted:

One of my ancestors was called the Herring Throttler. As the story goes he was an officer and when one of his soldiers didn't do as he said he stuck a herring down his throat.

If the name was something like "sillstryparen" he shares that nickname with the front man for the Swedish 70s leftist political rock band/performance ensemble Nationalteatern - Ulf Dageby. Or at least he performed under that name sometimes when doing less serious songs. Like this one that seems to be critical of ABBA for performing in the Eurovision Song Contest or something, I mainly like it for the Gothenburg accent with extremely rolled "r"s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA5-DaCmDWw

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Are Gothenburgers just reverse Scanians?

because the Scaniards don't say R at all. It's like they're speaking Swedish with a Danish Accent

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Oh, on an entirely different note (but still with regards to people being horny), the Ottomans had many rulers, some of note (the eponymous Osman, Mehmed II, etc.) and then... some of less well renown.

Today, I remembered about the tragedy that was the reign of Ibrahim I, who had the sobriquet 'the Mad' (always a good start). Now, it may not be the case that he was mad, just incredibly inept. Certainly there was a long standing rumour that he had 200+ women in his harem drowned as punishment for one of them sleeping with another man, and no-one owning up, but that is almost certainly made up.

However, what was the case, was one of his most favoured concubines, Şivekar Sultan, being sought after by him because she was reportedly the fattest woman in the entirety of the Ottoman empire. So favoured was she that apparently all of the proceeds from Damascus were given directly to her.

However, it was not his proclivities to the erotic which did him in. No, his gross maladministration of the empire, which lead to his Grand Vizier being torn limb-from-limb by a rampaging mob and his own mother to approve, and WATCH, him being executed, is why he is known as being one of the worse of the Ottoman sultans.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Offler posted:

If the name was something like "sillstryparen"

It was "Sildastruparen", so pretty close.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Asterite34 posted:

I would be so owned if Michelangelo painted my likeness and preserved it for all of human history.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

My favourite of those weird depictions is of Saint Christopher with a dog's head. It's a thing in some parts of the Eastern Orthodox Church, but it's had to go underground as Moscow proscribed the main icon depicting that in the 18th century.

There's lots of arguments as to why that is, but my favourite is that someone may have misread the Latin term Cananeus, 'Canaanite' as caninus, 'canine' and rolled with it. Though it's just as likely to be associated with cynocephalus, which comes from Pliny the Elder and Diocletian portraying Saint Christopher as a strong, strapping warrior as like someone from Cyrenaica, who were all thought to have the heads of dogs.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

The Balled of Sir Scott, Who Did Not Know

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
My word, I can't believe I forgot this re. physical misrepresentations of Jewish peoples in European art. Undoubtedly the most famous one of these is Michaelangelo's David, for an extremely obvious reason.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Samovar posted:

My word, I can't believe I forgot this re. physical misrepresentations of Jewish peoples in European art. Undoubtedly the most famous one of these is Michaelangelo's David, for an extremely obvious reason.

lol i never thought about that

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Samovar posted:

I don't know what you mean but I'm going to guess is uncut ?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

I don't know what you mean but I'm going to guess is uncut ?

Bingo.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I would be so owned if Michelangelo painted my likeness and preserved it for all of human history.

I know, the idea sounds like it would be flattering, but do you really want your likeness to be transmitted down to future generations as "that guy crying and screaming as snakes molest him in Hell in The Last Judgement" or "that guy playing a trumpet with his rear end in Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights?"

You're not gonna be Adam on the Sistine Chapel ceiling here.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
These days you need to pay good money to get a picture of you playing a trumpet with your rear end.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

zedprime posted:

These days you need to pay good money to get a picture of you playing a trumpet with your rear end.

Most famous Renaissance painters and other artists charged a pretty buck for their work, too. It wasn't Harry the horse-poo poo-shoveling-guy down the street who got to be buggered by an imp for all eternity in some random painting, I'd wager.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Asterite34 posted:

I know, the idea sounds like it would be flattering, but do you really want your likeness to be transmitted down to future generations as "that guy crying and screaming as snakes molest him in Hell in The Last Judgement" or "that guy playing a trumpet with his rear end in Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights?"

You're not gonna be Adam on the Sistine Chapel ceiling here.

Every figure Michelangelo painted looks like a bodybuilder.

You'll be remembered by posterity as a guy with killer abs who is coincidentally getting his penis gnawed off by a snake. That falls under the "no such thing as bad press" clause in my book.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007
It still happens these days in a way. When Michael Crichton wrote State of Fear, there was one particular journalist who ripped the book and its climate change denialism to shreds. So Crichton got his revenge, by writing the journalist as a character into his next book, and making that character a child abuser. Not in a very subtle way either!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Pseudohog posted:

It still happens these days in a way. When Michael Crichton wrote State of Fear, there was one particular journalist who ripped the book and its climate change denialism to shreds. So Crichton got his revenge, by writing the journalist as a character into his next book, and making that character a child abuser. Not in a very subtle way either!

David Drake has done something similar - dozens of times. Charles Platt wrote a review of one of his early military sci-fi novels calling Drake a "voyeur" who had clearly never seen combat. Drake, who fought in Vietnam, was offended. Since then, almost every book he has published includes a character named after Platt. They range from sociopathic murderers to cowardly pederasts, and every variety of villain in between.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

Pseudohog posted:

IIRC it was a child abuser with a micro penis who was not related to the overall plot of the book at all. Like you said, not very subtle.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Rent free

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

wheatpuppy posted:

David Drake has done something similar - dozens of times. Charles Platt wrote a review of one of his early military sci-fi novels calling Drake a "voyeur" who had clearly never seen combat. Drake, who fought in Vietnam, was offended. Since then, almost every book he has published includes a character named after Platt. They range from sociopathic murderers to cowardly pederasts, and every variety of villain in between.

Pratt, Spratt, Blatt, Batt, really the list goes on

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

In 1897, S.A. Adoree thinks he has the solution to reaching the North Pole: A balloon. He innovates ways of steering it in harsh Arctic winds, as well as raising and lowering the balloon.

Alas, this was the Titan of the 19th century.

Wikipedia posted:

Andrée ignored many early signs of the dangers associated with his balloon plan. Being able to steer the balloon to some extent was essential for a safe journey, but there was much evidence that the drag-rope steering technique he had invented was ineffective. Worse, the polar balloon Örnen (Eagle) was delivered directly to Svalbard from its manufacturer in Paris without being tested. When measurements showed it to be leaking more than expected, Andrée failed to acknowledge the risk.

Adoree set off on his expedition. Days, weeks, months, years pass. No one hears from him.

quote:

The balloon had two means of communication with the outside world: buoys and homing pigeons. The buoys, steel cylinders encased in cork, were intended to be dropped from the balloon into the water or onto the ice, to be carried to civilization by the currents. Only two buoy messages have ever been found. One was dispatched by Andrée on 11 July, a few hours after takeoff, and reads: "Our journey goes well so far. We sail at an altitude of about 250 m (820 ft), at first N 10° east, but later N 45° east [...] Weather delightful. Spirits high."[24] The second was dropped an hour later and gave the height as 600 metres (2,000 ft).

Then comes 1930.

A sealing vessel comes across something unexpected. It's the remains of the Adoree expedition, complete with bodies, a journal and a camera. There is film in the camera. With that, they're able to piece together what happened in 1897.

quote:

Free flight lasted for 10 hours and 29 minutes and was followed by another 41 hours of bumpy riding with frequent ground contact before the inevitable final crash.[18] Eagle traveled for two days and three-and-a-half hours altogether, during which time, according to Andrée, none of the three men got any sleep. The definitive landing appears to have been gentle. Neither the men nor the homing pigeons in their wicker cages were hurt, and none of the equipment was damaged, not even the delicate optical instruments and Strindberg's two cameras.[27]

They landed at Kvitøya, well beyond civilization. They survive for a bit, but presumably the elements eventually get them. No autopsy was done after the 1930 discovery.

The balloon was still 500 miles from the North Pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
There is some dark humour in that post, I can't help it.

And some 20 years later the italian airship Norge successfully flies to the Northpole.