Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The absolute worst basic lands are the LOTR ones lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The absolute worst basic lands are the LOTR ones lol

This is hobbiton plains and Gandalf w/sheep plains erasure.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess i should be specific about the map ones, which all look the same and the plains ones are mostly forest and mountains lmao

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I guess i should be specific about the map ones, which all look the same and the plains ones are mostly forest and mountains lmao

Before I read your post more carefully I thought, "Eh, those aren't so bad. Sure, only half the map is forest-covered, but that's still the feature that jumps out, and the whole map has an obvious green tint to make it clear this is a Forest."

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Silhouette posted:

Speaking of islands, it's a crime that Jump/Start only came with one themed land per pack, with m20 lands filling out the rest because by right I should have like 30 of the best island instead of 2

if you want a bunch of them, they're really not that expensive, like 15-50 cents each depending on where you get them.

naturally the dog plains is the most expensive basic from the set

and lmfao at the price for the phyrexian swamp now. I remember when it was like 20 bucks each.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
I sure hope Phyrexian Obliterator was paid well for that cameo.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

if you want a bunch of them, they're really not that expensive, like 15-50 cents each depending on where you get them.

naturally the dog plains is the most expensive basic from the set

and lmfao at the price for the phyrexian swamp now. I remember when it was like 20 bucks each.

That's cool and all, but the only basics that I specifically buy singles of are pre-big dumb mana symbol basics, so Revised through Urza's Saga (Masques is when all basics became Portal basics)

I mean technically I'd buy some Wastes if I ever needed them for a colorless deck, but that's splitting hairs

Edit: oh dear god I just had a horrible thought: if wotc brings back the colorless matters Eldrazi in a main set, they'd probably do a secret lair with a retro frame Wastes with the reminder text on it just to make me specifically angry

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 21, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

God, that Rohan plains has the words "Forest" and "Mountains" written on it lmao

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Silhouette posted:

Edit: oh dear god I just had a horrible thought: if wotc brings back the colorless matters Eldrazi in a main set, they'd probably do a secret lair with a retro frame Wastes with the reminder text on it just to make me specifically angry

Who's going to tell them?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Silhouette posted:

That's cool and all, but the only basics that I specifically buy singles of are pre-big dumb mana symbol basics, so Revised through Urza's Saga (Masques is when all basics became Portal basics)

I mean technically I'd buy some Wastes if I ever needed them for a colorless deck, but that's splitting hairs

https://scryfall.com/card/tsr/410/wastes

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

God, that Rohan plains has the words "Forest" and "Mountains" written on it lmao

I also love that the second one is clearly focused on the Shire, which has its own card that makes green mana.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

My favorite plains is a forest

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
6 trees is a forest.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You're all seeing the forest but missing the trees.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
My favourite basic is "|Ceghm." Jumpstart has some amazing lands.

But I also really like the DMU old ruins lands, especially this forrest.

Arena basically forced every player to formally decide on a favourite for each basic. Kinda annoying to me as I really like choosing different one for each deck, or at least guild.

Controversial opinion: I don't like full art basics because they don't fit in with my non-basics. And if my basics count is divisible by 8 I like the forgotten realms lore land cycle.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Aug 21, 2023

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm a white bordered sicko because that's what lands looked like when I started playing, so a long time ago I picked up a bunch of Unlimited basics and use them for all of my constructed decks.

To me, these five are the standard against which all other basic lands are judged.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
I like white border lands. It's a good way to make basics readable. The only problem is getting them without and dirt or scuff marks, because that shows real well on white.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'd snatch up WB shocks so I can fetch them easier.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

VictualSquid posted:

My favourite basic is "|Ceghm." Jumpstart has some amazing lands.

But I also really like the DMU old ruins lands, especially this forrest.

Arena basically forced every player to formally decide on a favourite for each basic. Kinda annoying to me as I really like choosing different one for each deck, or at least guild.

Controversial opinion: I don't like full art basics because they don't fit in with my non-basics. And if my basics count is divisible by 8 I like the forgotten realms lore land cycle.

i would really like the option to set several favourites or something for it to split my manabase between or just pick at random, having all of them be the one land is really dull especially having grown up playing with the sets with panorama sets of lands

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://twitter.com/masoneclark/status/1692701479226802379

https://twitter.com/raff_sputin/status/1693061207178072537

https://twitter.com/JerrBear97/status/1692897230137467350?s=20

Interesting thread about what happens when a player presents a 57-card deck with 2 cards that they must have in library to win accidentally still in their sideboard.

This doesn't go at all how you'd expect and an L3 is getting roasted for trying to justify it while pro players are extremely "hell nah".

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Another good reason to pile shuffle (once) to count your opponent's deck during the pre-game. If you catch it then, then it's a straight up game loss for them, instead of the "oh it's just a warning and we'll try to fix it" business.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's definitely strange that the penalty guide does not seem to consider "impossible to draw a card that you want in your deck but not in your hand" to be a potential advantage gained by having an illegal deck, though.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toshimo posted:

Interesting thread about what happens when a player presents a 57-card deck with 2 cards that they must have in library to win accidentally still in their sideboard.

This doesn't go at all how you'd expect and an L3 is getting roasted for trying to justify it while pro players are extremely "hell nah".

Creativity seems a lot better if you can never accidently draw a combo piece and have a greater chance to draw creativity.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

The weirdest part of the ruling to me is that the player in question would get their targets with the creativity that was already cast. Seems to me the creativity should resolve, by it resolving both players realize there's an error, after which a warning is given and the targets are put back into the deck while the game continues

Doesn't really seem to be a good reason to rewind to before the creativity was cast so that it can get the targets correctly

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Toshimo posted:

https://twitter.com/CalebDMTG/status/1693308958465753510?s=20

I have no idea where the full story on this is. But if a judge did this to me it might actually be my last game of magic.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Boy howdy are y'all goig to enjoy the game loss at the table reversed by the HJ after the players have scooped by having them play mental magic to give the creativity player the win.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Been a while since I reviewed policy. Deck problems were a game loss in my day. I like that they're a warning blue for innocent mistakes. The weirdest thing to me about this is that the head judge reversed it into a game win after the game was over, fast forwarding though a lot of game actions. Rulings aren't supposed to take strategy into account. What if the opponent had any kind of interaction in hand? Would the head judge have played that out for the players?

This is why (and I'm not sure it's still true) floor judges aren't supposed to give game losses without the head judge's approval.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sounds like the head judge is way up their own rear end in a top hat on getting specific technicalities correct rather than their actual job of judging an event in a fair and equitable manner.

I wouldn't pick them to HJ my next event if I were a TO. Give me literally anybody else.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
lmfao that’s so bad. I love paper magic dearly but that’s absurd

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The idea that the window for verifying that your opponent's deck is legal ends after you hand it back to them is a fine one on paper. In practice it makes pile shuffling your opponent's deck (is that even allowed?) effectively a mandatory pre-game ritual.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Like if the floor judge gets a call wrong, and it's not appealed and the players just move on, then that ruling stands. It doesn't matter if it's the "wrong" ruling by some weird technicality. You can apologize to the player that had the ruling incorrectly go against them, and educate the floor judge about what they got wrong, but if you can't reasonably unwind the situation then you've got to play it as it lays in order to be fair to both players.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Toshimo posted:

Boy howdy are y'all goig to enjoy the game loss at the table reversed by the HJ after the players have scooped by having them play mental magic to give the creativity player the win.

Jabor posted:

Sounds like the head judge is way up their own rear end in a top hat on getting specific technicalities correct rather than their actual job of judging an event in a fair and equitable manner.

I wouldn't pick them to HJ my next event if I were a TO. Give me literally anybody else.

Time posted:

lmfao that’s so bad. I love paper magic dearly but that’s absurd

Just as you might expect, psully has the correct take.

https://twitter.com/BasicMountain/status/1693314858249519461?s=20

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I always thought incorrect deck was just a straight up game loss and you got to correct it between games as well come to think of it

I wonder when that changed

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Isn't presenting a maindeck <60 cards a game loss at every REL higher than FNM?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Huxley posted:

Isn't presenting a maindeck <60 cards a game loss at every REL higher than FNM?

Only if they catch you before the game starts.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

First time we've gotten a swear word in a non-silver border card?

Great for GW token decks. Wedding Announcement decks didn't need another lord effect, but works for me.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 21, 2023

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Toshimo posted:

Only if they catch you before the game starts.

That is insane. In that scenario where the Creativity player clearly has 1) an ineligible deck and 2) no win conditions in said deck - how is that not clearly a game loss?

Seems like a huge gap in the rules and a procedural gently caress up by the HJ as well.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

CatstropheWaitress posted:

First time we've gotten a swear word in a non-silver border card?
What's the swear word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Simply Simon posted:

What's the swear word?

It's more of a Cursed word.