Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Why was there a video camera in my dorm bedroom?

Only fair since there was one in my bathroom

https://i.imgur.com/rs9Tgzl.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

If someone losing their boots is a sign they didn’t survive, what does losing their shirt signify?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Tire practically shoved that stick up that dudes rear end.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Orvin posted:

If someone losing their boots is a sign they didn’t survive, what does losing their shirt signify?
They bought Bitcoin?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Orvin posted:

They’re about to lose a street fight.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Orvin posted:

An ordinary day in Russia.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Reminds me of the (probably apocryphal) industrial automation story about the toothpaste boxes.
A manufacturer was having some QC issues in the final stages of packaging where on an automated line a box would occasionally end up empty without a tube of toothpaste inside.
The solution was to put a weighing plate on the belt and pause the line when an underweight box passed over so a technician could fix it and reset it. Seemed to be working fine for a few days, and then the alarm didn't go off for an entire day. The engineers went to investigate, and found that everything was working fine, except there were a few empty boxes on the floor and a box fan blowing on the belt. A technician explained he was annoyed at the constant interruption from the empty box weight sensor triggering, so he put a fan just in front of it to blow off all the empty boxes before they were weighed.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2qJODr43P0

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Go home popsicle stick cannon, you are drunk.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/DWesthawk/status/1693306138945552606?s=20

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

You'd think bears, of all people, would be pro renewable energy

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.

Yeah entering the twister zone is full of hazards.

Volume warning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ti3rxut3I0&t=94s

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i watched a ship avoid a tight corner

and then suprise there was another ship, they were both avoiding each other!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

This is why the PCT method of hanging bear bags exists.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

KoRMaK posted:

But when I looked down I saw only one set of ship prints

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

KoRMaK posted:

I’m always impressed when these large ships head up the cuyahoga. It’s very windy.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Captain Hygiene posted:

Rechewable energy

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Where is the hurricane in LA thread?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Preoptopus posted:

Where is the hurricane in LA thread?

Closest thing GBS has: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034830

There are weather threads in SAL and C-SPAM talking about it.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Platystemon posted:

Closest thing GBS has: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034830

There are weather threads in SAL and C-SPAM talking about it.

Ty!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

John Wick of Dogs posted:

But when I looked down I saw only one set of ship prints

That, my son, is where I carried your rusty-assed garbage scow

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/Us4t2HH.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/DySiOMZ.mp4

Kith fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 21, 2023

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
I've been showing these to my works Safety Officer and I hear a chuckle from his desk every time.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Sub chat.

https://twitter.com/dennisbhooper/status/1692965731657298247

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Vengarr posted:

Can we post about the Titanic deathsub in this thread. Read an article today with a story I hadn’t heard before:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2023/08/titan-submersible-implosion-warnings/amp

Lochridge is the guy Rush sued into oblivion for having the gall to suggest the deathsub was unsafe. He also sued his wife even though she had nothing to do with the company, in a clear intimidation attempt.

Is this narcissistic personality disorder or what? I don’t have my DSM handy, but this poo poo has to have a name. And if it doesn’t it should be named after him.

Posted the other day and with the actual article instead of tweets containing screenshots of other tweets.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

KoRMaK posted:

BELIEVELAND

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

"We should take this exit, you jerk!"

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

canyoneer posted:

Reminds me of the (probably apocryphal) industrial automation story about the toothpaste boxes.
A manufacturer was having some QC issues in the final stages of packaging where on an automated line a box would occasionally end up empty without a tube of toothpaste inside.
The solution was to put a weighing plate on the belt and pause the line when an underweight box passed over so a technician could fix it and reset it. Seemed to be working fine for a few days, and then the alarm didn't go off for an entire day. The engineers went to investigate, and found that everything was working fine, except there were a few empty boxes on the floor and a box fan blowing on the belt. A technician explained he was annoyed at the constant interruption from the empty box weight sensor triggering, so he put a fan just in front of it to blow off all the empty boxes before they were weighed.

whether or not it's true, it is a good reminder that usually the simple solution is better than over engineering things. I try to constantly hammer this into the head of the junior engineers who think that overcomplication is the best thing because "i learned it in school, so by god i'm going to use it."

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

chrisgt posted:

whether or not it's true, it is a good reminder that usually the simple solution is better than over engineering things. I try to constantly hammer this into the head of the junior engineers who think that overcomplication is the best thing because "i learned it in school, so by god i'm going to use it."

I don’t have a source handy but I recall once seeing a clip of a mixed metals recycling line sorting magnetic metals out by cascading the finely divided material over a drop and using a magnet to pull the affected bits further away where say aluminum would more or less drop straight down. Pretty simple and elegant.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/0M3U7AT.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/2tNBjO0.mp4

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
If only there was a way for me to go down and away from these wasps

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

canyoneer posted:

nah something akin to that is pretty standard practice for vibratory feeders when part orientation matters, you put a compressed air nozzle with a solenoid tied to the orientation sensor / machine vision / what have you and blow the parts turned the wrong way back into the bowl

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Scratch Monkey posted:

If only there was a way for me to go down and away from these wasps

And break the rhythm? Heh, uh, no. No thanks.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

shame on an IGA posted:

nah something akin to that is pretty standard practice for vibratory feeders when part orientation matters, you put a compressed air nozzle with a solenoid tied to the orientation sensor / machine vision / what have you and blow the parts turned the wrong way back into the bowl

This came up a lot on How It's Made, you can also do it when a high-speed feed sends the items briefly airborne and deflect them into the discard hopper instead of the next stage

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/SN1YpYC.gifv

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

You can't blame their reaction, few people know that burial at sea is the proper and respectful method to retire a forklift at the end of its life

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
my cousin's dad drowned in 2 feet of water when a piece of equipment flipped and pinned him. receiving this news unlocked a new recurring nightmare for me.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

chrisgt posted:

I've been on the other side if that though, where the simple solution is simple because it ignores everything that makes it complicated. Like a system that weighs the boxes and stops the lines when it detects an empty is simpler than one that rejects empty boxes and feeds them back to the machine. And even simpler is a fan that blows the boxes onto the floor. So you end up with leftover batch A tubes and missing batch A boxes, and someone simply takes batch B boxes to finish the run. So you simply recall all the effected batches when you discover the batch ID on your tubes don't match your boxes on outgoing product. Then you implement a simple fix to prevent mislabeled batches going out. Then a simple fix for that. And so on. Until your entire production line is a Rube Goldberg machine of simple fixes that constantly shut the line down anyway. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

What was he even trying to do? Up until "oh poo poo" I'd really like to know what his thought process was.