Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://i.imgur.com/bqdj0vb.mp4

No, my favorite little thing in Monster Hunter Rise isn't the surprise penis monster I was trying to photograph, it's my doggo buddy yipesing straight out of frame in surprise :v:
Everything about the dog and cat pals is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

If your penis spits lightning and has meatus teeth, go to the doctor.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
A very little thing, but in the new game En Garde, I was watching someone play it on stream when the main character exclaimed "Miércoles!", which someone in chat explained to be what you say when you want to say "Merde" (ie: poo poo) but, like, don't want to swear. I thought it was a fun little detail.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
One of the few things I'll knock Xenoblade Chronicles 3 for, which is otherwise so good that it's both my game of the year for this year and retroactively for last year, is that it perfectly sets up for a really interesting gimmick boss fight and then doesn't deliver. Everything about the surroundings acts as a cool 'little thing', it's just that the fight itself is a pushover.

The fight against Consul M has a really cool setup, basically explaining the gimmick of the fight by way of the characters figuring it out over the course of the cutscene-fight beforehand. It's basically a possession gimmick; she can possess one of your party members, but when she's possessing a party member she herself can't fight, and any major damage that party member takes, she retains. That's a really neat concept for a boss fight in a sorta-action RPG where you can swap between party members mid-fight, and would be really hard to understand without proper explanation since XC3 is a really busy game.

...unfortunately, Consul M either goes on to either not use said gimmick, or the gimmick isn't powerful enough to actually change the fight in any meaningful way, because the fight that goes on afterwards is basically the same as every other fight. Oh well, points for effort; I guess it's hard to plausibly get a gimmick rolling in an RPG with a constantly active seven-member party.

But then, after a couple hours of game, and then another couple hours of thinking, I've realized there's actually a reason that fight's such a pushover.

Consul M and Mio were hatching a plan to secretly switch places for Complicated Plot Reasons, and either did so just before or after that specific fight (I'm not 100% sure when it happened, there was... a lot of info to take in). So of course the fight was easy as hell: regardless of if we were fighting Mio or Consul M at the time, they were pulling their punches while trying to look like they were roughing us up.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

(XBC3) She kept possessing my biggest damage dealers who specialize in massive AoEs and wiping my party in seconds, wasn’t really a pushover for me until that stopped. :v:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

One of the few things I'll knock Xenoblade Chronicles 3 for, which is otherwise so good that it's both my game of the year for this year and retroactively for last year, is that it perfectly sets up for a really interesting gimmick boss fight and then doesn't deliver. Everything about the surroundings acts as a cool 'little thing', it's just that the fight itself is a pushover.

The fight against Consul M has a really cool setup, basically explaining the gimmick of the fight by way of the characters figuring it out over the course of the cutscene-fight beforehand. It's basically a possession gimmick; she can possess one of your party members, but when she's possessing a party member she herself can't fight, and any major damage that party member takes, she retains. That's a really neat concept for a boss fight in a sorta-action RPG where you can swap between party members mid-fight, and would be really hard to understand without proper explanation since XC3 is a really busy game.

...unfortunately, Consul M either goes on to either not use said gimmick, or the gimmick isn't powerful enough to actually change the fight in any meaningful way, because the fight that goes on afterwards is basically the same as every other fight. Oh well, points for effort; I guess it's hard to plausibly get a gimmick rolling in an RPG with a constantly active seven-member party.

But then, after a couple hours of game, and then another couple hours of thinking, I've realized there's actually a reason that fight's such a pushover.

Consul M and Mio were hatching a plan to secretly switch places for Complicated Plot Reasons, and either did so just before or after that specific fight (I'm not 100% sure when it happened, there was... a lot of info to take in). So of course the fight was easy as hell: regardless of if we were fighting Mio or Consul M at the time, they were pulling their punches while trying to look like they were roughing us up.

Mio didn't know until M took her over, then got roped into her plan.
The ending to that chapter is incredible though.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

CitizenKain posted:

Mio didn't know until M took her over, then got roped into her plan.
The ending to that chapter is incredible though.

Yeah, I know that, I'm just not sure if that was before or after the second fight. Either way, it makes sense if she's pulling her punches in that fight, because either it's Mio not wanting to hurt her friends, or it's M working an angle.

All that aside, it's still a jaw-dropper of a chapter divide, Xenoblade always gets good right when a character completely breaks out of what you thought the game was doing with them, and XC3 might be the best one at that reveal.

Bussamove posted:

(XBC3) She kept possessing my biggest damage dealers who specialize in massive AoEs and wiping my party in seconds, wasn’t really a pushover for me until that stopped. :v:

Well, good to know it's an actual gimmick, then! I dunno, maybe I'm just not good enough at the game to have any one character be especially dangerous, so the control gimmick could never get too nasty.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 04:54 on Aug 20, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Marcade posted:

If your penis spits lightning and has meatus teeth, go to the doctor.

SHII---TAKE MUSHROOMS!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The animal dialogues in BG3 are very entertaining.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like the inn where there's a rat infestation in the basement, and if you ask the cats in the kitchen above to help, they refuse and insist that you do it instead so that they can get fed faster. Clearly there are many cat owners on the BG3 team.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I love a game that plays with the standard RPG "kill rats in a basement" quest.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

RareAcumen posted:

I'm pretty sure Tales of Symphonia and Vesperia both have a journal tab that have a synopsis of all the main story beats in them. If you game has 0 interactive material to its plot like Elden Ring or something then it gets a lot more difficult to think of ways to get that in.

Elden Ring, at the very least, points you in the direction you're supposed to go if you're at a Site of Grace.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In Fire Emblem: Three Hopes, you get a bit of character banter for every 200 kills a character gets. Usually it's your deployed characters chatting amongst themselves:

quote:

Felix: Bah! Bring me a worthy opponent!

Hapi: This means I can take a break, right?

Sometimes it's special duos if you've deployed appropriate characters to play off each other.

quote:

Sylvain: Don't hate me because I'm handsome, hate me because I'm lucky! Just ask Ingrid!

Ingrid: Ugh. If only you'd applied yourself like this at the Academy...

But, if there's a named (i.e. with a portrait) enemy commander on the field and you get a kill streak as you kill their underlings, the boss will sometimes reply instead of a party member.

quote:

Seteth: This indicates not my strength, but my enemy's weakness!

Dorothea: Oh no. That's not good at all...

Son Conan
Sep 25, 2007

One of my favorite little things in Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was the characters' eye animations. You could see them just darting around, instead of just staying put.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Son Conan posted:

One of my favorite little things in Xenoblade Chronicles 3 was the characters' eye animations. You could see them just darting around, instead of just staying put.

I feel like it's the strongest with Noah and Eunie. Noah just gets a lot of scenes that let him do that, while Eunie's just got a lot of good eye-based cutscene animation in general, but it's especially how you can tell when she's actually losing composure rather than just yelling. But yeah, it's something you never fully realize until someone mentions it.

There's one angle on the eye-based stuff that's so subtle I almost felt like I'm imagining it, but I did just check and yeah, I was right: Consul N and Noah have different eyes. Consul N's lacks the glint on the top-left of the iris, which makes his gaze look subtly more severe and empty. The same is not true of Consul M and Mio, who have the same eyes, showing that N lost the goddamn plot and M didn't.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I forget what game it was, but it was a send-up of sentai shows, and there was an option to have the characters take off their masks. If you do that, you can see their eyes scanning back and forth during the cutscenes, as they read their dialog off of a teleprompter.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Vandar posted:

Elden Ring, at the very least, points you in the direction you're supposed to go if you're at a Site of Grace.

Sometimes. And sometimes it will loving lie to get you killed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I forget what game it was, but it was a send-up of sentai shows, and there was an option to have the characters take off their masks. If you do that, you can see their eyes scanning back and forth during the cutscenes, as they read their dialog off of a teleprompter.

the wonderful 101

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been playing a lot of Splatoon's co-op horde mode lately, thanks to a few fundamental change between 2 & 3 moving it from something I try every couple months to my main mode for the game. But every once in a while, they'll throw in a weapons rotation that takes everything up to another level.

You get a co-op exclusive weapons set that's made up of comically exaggerated versions of regular weapon types, stuff like rapid-fire sniper rifles and blasters that can throw out absurd amounts of ink and damage, just all super OP with the only drawback being their crazy ink consumption. And then you get a few weirder niche ones, like the one that sloshes out a ball of ink that moves at about 1 mph, but pumps out enough damage moving through enemies that it even can kill bosses within one or two hits.

It's the most fun the mode gets, you don't want it to be that way every time but it's always a treat when they switch to it. And it leads to fun moments when you switch back to the normal weapon sets, and you dive into mobs expecting your blaster to be in super rapid fire mode, only to suddenly remember it's back to firing once every couple seconds :suicide:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Vandar posted:

Oh interesting. I was more thinking like a log for side quests or any way to track what you're doing besides the main story.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
There's no quest log in Elden Ring and it sucks. Some of the NPC questlines are pretty obtuse, and God help you if you take a break and don't remember what to do. From put out a patch where you can see on the map where the various people are, which is a start, but a sprawling open world RPG needs some in game way to keep track of stuff. Dark Souls worked fairly well without a quest log because in order to progress the NPC questlines you just had to talk to them when you met them.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Yeah, I just finally got around to elden ring this month and finished up the quest cleanup to finally call it quits this weekend, it often feels like one where you need a wiki guide open the whole time if you want to finish any questlines besides the main one.

The lights from the sites of grace are static and point in a straight line either to the objective or the next site of grace in line. The markers don't disappear after finishing the main story objective, so they could actually be more confusing if you took a break and don't know where to go. They also seem set up by hand, but still just point in a straight line to the objective, so twice it'd point me directly into a wall or cliff instead of the direction I needed to go to actually enter the place.

NPC quests have some issues above and beyond just the log book. They won't repeat dialog if you miss it the first time and it's also one where you need to already know to talk to the NPC multiple times in a row since the first dialog won't always progress it. They mark NPCs on the map, but only static ones like shop vendors. At least one major side quest has the NPC showing up at different sites of grace and by a random cliff, but it's not marked out and you just kinda have to have started their questline early on and hope to stumble into them as you go without missing any.

It's a bit weird since it's open world, but the first half is laid out as one big semi-circular path anyway, which seems to make the early sites of grace pointers unnecessary even though the characters make it a big deal that you can see them. Meanwhile, the finger-reader crones are marked on the map and have an in-universe reason to always be able to tell you your next step, but each crone's dialog seems to be static and doesn't update.

yook has a new favorite as of 08:47 on Aug 21, 2023

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Vandar posted:

That is not what these particle effects do, sadly

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.
I don't know if it just seems like a lot because other media has so few, but Baldur's Gate 3 has a bunch of speaking roles, major and minor, who are women, and I appreciate that a lot.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'll give props to Xenoblade 3 for not having the boring Fantasy Racism trope. Apart from the talking hamsters, everyone is lumped into the "human" category regardless if they have blue skin, metal skin, horns, cat ears, head wings, glowing tron lines, and whatever the gently caress is with that girl who has hands and feet made of ice.

The facial expressions during key scenes in the main quest and hero quests are a million miles above the static anime fluff seen in the Tales or Star Ocean series.

It also helps that the game is nowhere near as horny as XC2, outside of one robot having big tits.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

and whatever the gently caress is with that girl who has hands and feet made of ice.

So I think I have an answer to this, but it's a weird pick that sort of separately counts for this thread.

All the Agnian troop 'subraces' are based on Xenoblade 2 characters. Some of them come from the XC2 subraces in the same way Keves does with the XC1 subraces, but you also see traits from individual XC2 characters that imply that their 'thing' just proliferated genetically somehow; Mio's a Flesh Eater, Taion's a Blade Eater (which is only visible in certain DLC costumes), Sena's just a flamingly obvious Brighid descendant.

Nimue and the other Agnians with icy limbs and horns seem to have gotten that trait from Godfrey, one of the random guest-designed gacha Blades.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I'll give props to Xenoblade 3 for not having the boring Fantasy Racism trope. Apart from the talking hamsters, everyone is lumped into the "human" category regardless if they have blue skin, metal skin, horns, cat ears, head wings, glowing tron lines, and whatever the gently caress is with that girl who has hands and feet made of ice.

The facial expressions during key scenes in the main quest and hero quests are a million miles above the static anime fluff seen in the Tales or Star Ocean series.

It also helps that the game is nowhere near as horny as XC2, outside of one robot having big tits.

The more "exotic" ones are derived from Blades from XBC2. Sena has Brighid's fire hair, for example.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Also had one of the funniest things in how a character would inherit the clothing of another person. Having Lanz as Fiona's class was consistently hilarious.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

That said, XC3 does continue the tradition of having four times as many progression-systems than were strictly necessary.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Aug 21, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

That said, XC3 does continue the tradition of having four times as many progression-systems than were strictly necessary.

I love progression systems, the more the merrier. Let me level up characters and classes and moves and equipment and fuckin... enemy encyclopedias, all of it, my lizard brain wants those numbers

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Finished Prey, and what I loved at the very end of the game is that if you arrive at the Bridge to meet Alex and January, and have not only set up the Nullwave Transmitter but also armed the reactor core self-destruct, they both have comments on how odd it is that you've prepared both options lmao

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Finished Prey, and what I loved at the very end of the game is that if you arrive at the Bridge to meet Alex and January, and have not only set up the Nullwave Transmitter but also armed the reactor core self-destruct, they both have comments on how odd it is that you've prepared both options lmao

One of my favorite lines from the endgame sequence goes something like this: "Alex, he killed you." "Yeah, well, I'd've killed me too."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've finally got a ps5 (and fixed a dumb issue where my psn account was somehow a US account, had to set up a whole new account with a new email to get around that) and started playing Astro's Playroom because I figured why not, it was installed by default. It has a lot of charm and I like the exploration to find the hidden items and things. It also feels that the Gatcha stuff is heavily weighted in the players favour so that's nice too. I like that some of the none-collectible gatchas are just new robots that play around in the hub, it's cute.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The gacha stuff in Astro’s Playroom is a depletable thing, you’ll never get repeats and the only bad pulls are occasional empties.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Astro’s Playroom gacha machine doesn’t hold a candle to the one in Rescue Mission, which is in VR so you can pick up and inspect the little dioramas in 3D. Shame it’s stuck on that platform forever

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The hottest new category in Baldur's Gate 3 speedrunning is the sex % run, or how fast you can get a companion to sleep with the player character on a fresh save. They've already got it down to 2:13!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpY7NHj8FXg

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

exquisite tea posted:

The hottest new category in Baldur's Gate 3 speedrunning is the sex % run, or how fast you can get a companion to sleep with the player character on a fresh save. They've already got it down to 2:13!!

Good old Lay'Zel

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

exquisite tea posted:

I didn't even see any sex

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

In Baldur's Gate 3 you can use a spell to speak to dead. But if you killed the person you try to use the spell on their spirit won't speak to you because they are mad you killed them. So what you do is use the disguise self spell and make yourself look like someone else and then use the spell and now they will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Shard posted:

In Baldur's Gate 3 you can use a spell to speak to dead. But if you killed the person you try to use the spell on their spirit won't speak to you because they are mad you killed them. So what you do is use the disguise self spell and make yourself look like someone else and then use the spell and now they will.

I used seeming to get an NPC out of a hostile area, but they left me before the spell ended and the game never returned them to normal. When they showed up again about ~20 hours later they were still just a generic looking gnome.