Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

There's an old sitcom from the late 1970s/early 1980s called "WKRP in Cincinnati",

I remember watching this with my dad as a kid. I thought Johnny Fever was really cool. If only he or an ai deepfake of him did tech reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Is this the "I thought turkeys could fly" show?

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

What the gently caress that James "comedy" act.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Triikan posted:

yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGFtV6-ALoQ

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

rio posted:

I remember watching this with my dad as a kid. I thought Johnny Fever was really cool. If only he or an ai deepfake of him did tech reviews.

Johnny Fever once said "I'm a 40 year old man who lives like a college student" and I've strived to emulate that ever since :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I moved my 2019 computer into a Formd T1 earlier this year, and while the case is beautiful and great, the documentation.... not so much.

The Terra is slick and would definitely be a good first dive into the SFF side of things. It's compromised from a compatibility standpoint/potential, but it's made by a real company versus something that has forum group buy vibes. This review is a good look into some of the annoying elements, especially when it comes to noise and the type of noise.

If I had to build a computer today, I'd probably try to find a Dan C4X (or the follow up that's promised? idk) for the case, use a Noctua NH-D12 for the cooler, and put a 4090 FE up top.

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006

seems to me the relevant informational oversight here is the matx thing since parts carried over are necessarily a hard constraint on new build design, whereas price is usually a soft constraint (at least for people who post on a $10 forum in english), but i will admit that this type of mistake makes it easier for me to believe someone could benefit from being told $180 is more than many other pc cases cost

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SpartanIvy posted:

Micro-ATX is the best board size. All the features of ATX that you need, in a size that's much smaller. I don't even understand why ATX is still popular. Who is using all of the PCIE slots these days?
serious streamers usually (some even get a whole secondary pc to capture/broadcast with to reduce performance impact)

though I enjoy the utility of popping in a M.2 NVMe PCIe card to (mostly) hassle-free add more storage than the M.2 slots on the mobo allow

whiskas
May 30, 2005
I had just finished installing windows on a brand new build with my fractal case. I had a USB stick with a windows image inserted into one of the USB 3.0 ports on the top of the case. When I went to pull out the drive it wouldn't budge. I tried and tried, like pulling Excalibur from stone. Eventually I pulled so hard the enclosure for the usb stick ripped out, empty, with the internal circuitry still inserted into the USB port. I took some vice grips to the circuit and bracing my legs against the case as leverage, ripped it clean out of the USB port. I used a sacrificial USB cable to insert and remove repeatedly from the front port to loosen it up.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

whiskas posted:

I had just finished installing windows on a brand new build with my fractal case. I had a USB stick with a windows image inserted into one of the USB 3.0 ports on the top of the case. When I went to pull out the drive it wouldn't budge. I tried and tried, like pulling Excalibur from stone. Eventually I pulled so hard the enclosure for the usb stick ripped out, empty, with the internal circuitry still inserted into the USB port. I took some vice grips to the circuit and bracing my legs against the case as leverage, ripped it clean out of the USB port. I used a sacrificial USB cable to insert and remove repeatedly from the front port to loosen it up.

Yeah I have a Fractal Pop and the front panel USB ports are hella snug. In some cases it's nice, but also I have a retractable USB drive with USB-A and USB-C and I can't plug it in without keeping my thumb on the latch which hurts. It goes into the front panel port on my PS5 no problem.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SpartanIvy posted:

Micro-ATX is the best board size. All the features of ATX that you need, in a size that's much smaller. I don't even understand why ATX is still popular. Who is using all of the PCIE slots these days?

mATX is like 2 inches smaller than standard ATX, it's just not a big enough difference to really care.

Though TBQH most full ATX boards only have 2 or maybe 3 PCIe slots, and most of that area of the board is now m.2 slots. You can double-stack m.2 slots, lots of ITX boards do that. So it would be totally realistic to have a mATX board with just as many slots as the ATX ones have.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Another problem with mATX is that no-one makes mATX cases any more, so if you're getting an ATX sized PC anyway you might as well get the more featured board when the price difference isn't huge enough to matter.

E: Watching the GN video and man recording a piece to camera in an anechoic chamber feels like a nightmare.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 21, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Triikan posted:

Yes!
I also like the one where the cop came on to show how alcohol slowed reactions so driving impaired was dangerous, so Johnny and Venus just got hammered on the air and fevers reaction speed increased each time the cop tested him.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

slidebite posted:

Yes!
I also like the one where the cop came on to show how alcohol slowed reactions so driving impaired was dangerous, so Johnny and Venus just got hammered on the air and fevers reaction speed increased each time the cop tested him.

I liked Johnny's explanation of "It used to be a hobby of mine" :guinness:

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
I'm on a Discord server and someone shared this review of what looks like one of the worst-designed laptops ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NorX0xq17Ls

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mr.Radar posted:

I'm on a Discord server and someone shared this review of what looks like one of the worst-designed laptops ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NorX0xq17Ls

Everyone really needs to see this one through to the end of the video because holy poo poo

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

ijyt posted:

touch grass for your own mental health

Dog whistles are very practical in the way that once pointed out, if one adheres to the dog whistle's ethos, one can kramer in and start questioning the mental health of the person who pointed the dog whistle out.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Everyone really needs to see this one through to the end of the video because holy poo poo

MSI quality

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
not the perfect amount of thermal paste.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the pen is mightier than the sword, so the next model up should be the pen 15

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Dog whistles are very practical in the way that once pointed out, if one adheres to the dog whistle's ethos, one can kramer in and start questioning the mental health of the person who pointed the dog whistle out.

They're the bane of the terminally online neurodivergent since context matters for this particular pattern-recognition to actually mean anything.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

whiskas posted:

See, this is a feature, so you don't pull out a thumb drive or external SSD without ejecting properly and then lose your data! :colbert:

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

They're the bane of the terminally online neurodivergent since context matters for this particular pattern-recognition to actually mean anything.

:thunk:

You know you could just say that it's a one off coincidence which I'd estimate the vast majority would agree with (including me) instead of proving my point.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Looks like James' routine got made private lol

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Someone did post it on the subreddit and a lot of redditors don't see any problems with a white guy pretending to be an Iranian Jew to do jokes about the holocaust and beating the mother of his child.

When you're on a steady diet of Netflix comedy specials

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Look, MSI is just taking after Linus with regards to which cooling solutions to use with which hardware. Newer hardware doesn't work with their old heat pipes? Well, "just send er!"

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

whiskas posted:

It's the same in my Meshify C. Strangely enough not in the Northern.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Someone did post it on the subreddit and a lot of redditors don't see any problems with a white guy pretending to be an Iranian Jew to do jokes about the holocaust and beating the mother of his child.

When you're on a steady diet of Netflix comedy specials

https://www.youtube.com/clip/UgkxvfH6-w-EvRnGvAR8B_fmMgZYQ87ogHCu

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

The Terra case has been widely praised on other channels and reddit, and the first thing I thought when seeing it was "Wait...won't those panels fuckup the airflow" and welp, thanks to GN for actually doing the work.

edit: of course

I was planning on getting it, thinking about it just hours before the review went up since I've had some offers to grab it for around $100

I'm really happy I waited (and built my spouse's tower 200 which "is mITX" but fits mATX first).
That sound profile would drive me nuts and it covered the cooler so much =/. Only seen praise in reviews before. Might rethink it all and go with a larger case since few ITX cases look good (imo) and if it's gonna be hidden might as well get a well ventilated compact tower again.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Astroid posted:

I was planning on getting it, thinking about it just hours before the review went up since I've had some offers to grab it for around $100

I'm really happy I waited (and built my spouse's tower 200 which "is mITX" but fits mATX first).
That sound profile would drive me nuts and it covered the cooler so much =/. Only seen praise in reviews before. Might rethink it all and go with a larger case since few ITX cases look good (imo) and if it's gonna be hidden might as well get a well ventilated compact tower again.

The sound profile issue goes away when the cooler has space away from the panel. You want to push the GPU as close to its panel as possible anyway, so the idea is that you should bias the spine toward the gpu side as much as possible which will get your gpu the most fresh air and also give your cpu cooler the most room to breathe. And be sure to use those PSU stand-offs if you have a blow-through gpu cooler.

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The sound profile issue goes away when the cooler has space away from the panel. You want to push the GPU as close to its panel as possible anyway, so the idea is that you should bias the spine toward the gpu side as much as possible which will get your gpu the most fresh air and also give your cpu cooler the most room to breathe. And be sure to use those PSU stand-offs if you have a blow-through gpu cooler.

Yeah. Some more planning needed before deciding on what to put in there to make sure there is enough clearance

this allusion meant
Apr 9, 2006
i think the results people were getting with the noctua ducting for the NH-L9 have convinced most serious SFF builders that this is the new meta for low profile cpu cooling anyway. it's a bit of a pain to make your own by ordering acoustic foam and cutting it into shape but reducing air recirculation by any means available is just too effective relative to the downsides

e: imo the basic reasoning should also hold for gpu deshroud + ducting but that is a significantly more involved mod

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I’m glad to see GN get into SFF case coverage. Aside from Optimum Tech, not many channels cover them aside from all the suddenly glowing coverage of the Fractal Terra.

I wonder if GN will cover other styles of mITX cases. For the longest time I’ve been tempted to build in one of those ‘shrunken tower’ cases (like a Torrent Nano), only to every time realize that they’re not that much smaller than a regular ATX case but still come with a ton of compromises.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Conspiratiorist posted:

The pattern I'm seeing is a bunch of young white guys in tech being misogynistic and edgy and covering for each other.

You think a guy who listens to Jordan Peterson and goes on stage to tell holocaust and wife beating jokes wouldn't arrange a sign on set to be a dog whistle?

If you think I'm terminally online for seeing a dog whistle. How can you justify an entire company of people whose job it is to be terminally online not seeing it?

Why would you give any benefit of the doubt to LMG at this point?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SpartanIvy posted:

The pattern I'm seeing is a bunch of young white guys in tech being misogynistic and edgy and covering for each other.

You think a guy who listens to Jordan Peterson and goes on stage to tell holocaust and wife beating jokes wouldn't arrange a sign on set to be a dog whistle?

If you think I'm terminally online for seeing a dog whistle. How can you justify an entire company of people whose job it is to be terminally online not seeing it?

look we're all mad here, but you should probably go for a walk

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

SpartanIvy posted:

Linus just like that Oceangate guy who didn't want to hire 50+ veteran people I'm sure each person he rubber stamped was welcomed with a hearty handshake and a knowing wink.

Y'know, instead of making them take one of those basic harassment courses before signing their first check.

Guaranteed that an anti harassment course still won't be in the cards assuming they survive to hire any new people.

That Terran dude in the apology video looks like a deer in the headlights wondering WTF he has to appear in it so he whips up a bunch of stuff he should have done before this poo poo started.

quote:

They say some companies investigate your social media history before hiring, if I had seen that before his interview I'd spend half the interview asking him if he really believes in all that poo poo, he'd probably give the usual chudly answer 'I was joking man'

quote:

I sure wouldn't, he has to have known this poo poo was going down on his watch, he probably couldn't be bothered to care while ogling all the checks and payments from YouTube and the sponsors.

Sell off the company now and distribute the proceeds to the subs of his YT channel

Maybe let him keep his groverhaus, but I bet he wouldn't learn his lesson

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Binary Badger posted:

That Terran dude

lmao

The Terren Dominion

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The Terren Empire

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Terren Dominion

The current title is very good but

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: “Two vast and legless sandals of stone
Stand in the desert . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And frosted tips, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
‘My name is Terren, CEO of Linus Media Group:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!’
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay