Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
People already worshipping Thor, duh.
It'd be pretty funny if a Glorantha Godlearner-esque theory developed in the MU that postulated Thor and Storm to be different avatars of the same deity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Air Skwirl posted:

Who doesn't worship Storm?

She's really hostile and stressed out all the time now, I liked her better before she started marrying heads of state and becoming one herself

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Molly Hayes was always said to be the mutant child of evil mutants, but then in Runaways v4 they say her grandma gave her parents their powers. So are the Hayes family waiting in the rez queue, or am I putting more thought into it than any Marvel writer ever will?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Angry Salami posted:

And I'm still mad at Morrison for blowing up Genosha so thoughtlessly, essentially just to build up a (fairly boring) new villain. Earlier stories hadn't always used Genosha to its full potential, but it was great to have it, as a place where, because it was a fictional country, things could actually change and mutants could be more than just an eternally oppressed minority.
As pointed out, Genosha was a sporadically used "South Africa except for mutants" pastiche for pretty much its whole existence, then Fabian Cortez came to the island and whipped up the mutates into murdering tons of humans and installing him as leader, then Cortez got killed, then Magneto blackmailed the United Nations into giving him control of Genosha so he wouldn't murder all of humanity. Once in control, Magneto raised an army, kidnapped and crucified Charles Xavier, and declared that his mutant army would take over the world and kill any humans that resisted.

Which also dovetails into the whole "why didn't Morrison write a more nuanced Magneto???" question that always comes up, he wasn't hearkening back to 1980s Claremont stories but responding to the decade of "Magneto, Genocidal Maniac" stories that followed.

Open Marriage Night posted:

That was the one year anniversary. The issue where Genosha gets destroyed, along with a Sentinel made with parts of a jet being flown into a building, was the one that came out right before 9/11.
On a long enough timeline this is accurate, but in terms of "just before", that issue came out on May 16, 2001.

Something about Morrison writing for shared universes is that they tend to write stories where they want to introduce a bunch of concepts/characters to "let loose" into the shared universe. Morrison didn't focus in the core New X-Men book on "mutant culture" or "mutants as celebrities" or X-Corp or a lot of other things, but wrote up ideas about them for other people to use. This had mixed results in terms of execution, and none of those other books get collected alongside Morrison's run. An even more explicit version of this happened when they were at DC in the 2000s and there were several books post-52 (All-New Atom, Metal Men, Doom Patrol something with Shazam I am forgetting) that Morrison basically wrote pitches/manifestos for and were either given to other creators or never published. It's a nice idea I guess, but hasn't ever really panned out, and makes some of their big superhero works seem extra disjointed, because they're operating on the assumption ideas will be explored elsewhere.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

Molly Hayes was always said to be the mutant child of evil mutants, but then in Runaways v4 they say her grandma gave her parents their powers. So are the Hayes family waiting in the rez queue, or am I putting more thought into it than any Marvel writer ever will?

While they where definitely given their powers artificially, they seem to have an X-gene which, as far as Krakoa is concerned, is enough to count. See Mr. Sinister and the Fenris twins. That said, the resurrection queue is a very long and political process, with certain mutants dubbed important by the Quite Counsel getting fast tracked to the top of the line. I doubt they would see much value in resurrecting two mutants that tried to sacrifice the entire planet. There's also the fact that Molly's grandmother had already cloned her mother, and was planning the same for her father. While it's left up in the air whether those clones would be the same as the original characters, it'd probably cause some debate as to whether they need to be resurrected now, given they try to avoid creating duplicates. Granted, this is just head-cannon, it's possible they weren't resurrected because none of the writers had stories to tell involving them, or that another editorial office had dibs on them. Also, bit a moot point given no one is getting resurrected for the foreseeable future.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

glitchwraith posted:

While they where definitely given their powers artificially, they seem to have an X-gene which, as far as Krakoa is concerned, is enough to count. See Mr. Sinister and the Fenris twins. That said, the resurrection queue is a very long and political process, with certain mutants dubbed important by the Quite Counsel getting fast tracked to the top of the line. I doubt they would see much value in resurrecting two mutants that tried to sacrifice the entire planet. There's also the fact that Molly's grandmother had already cloned her mother, and was planning the same for her father. While it's left up in the air whether those clones would be the same as the original characters, it'd probably cause some debate as to whether they need to be resurrected now, given they try to avoid creating duplicates. Granted, this is just head-cannon, it's possible they weren't resurrected because none of the writers had stories to tell involving them, or that another editorial office had dibs on them. Also, bit a moot point given no one is getting resurrected for the foreseeable future.

Was volume 4 the short lived Immonen one? Or Terry Moore? I honestly didn't read much beyond the start of Whedon and then all of Rowell's runs.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Was volume 4 the short lived Immonen one? Or Terry Moore? I honestly didn't read much beyond the start of Whedon and then all of Rowell's runs.

I'm not sure, as I read both the original Vaughn run and the Rowell run on Unlimited, and skipped over the rest. Most of my speculation above comes from the Rowell run and the Krakoa era of X-Men in general.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I think it's v4. It's the Rowell one where they get the band back together.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Runaways v1 (18 issues) was Brian K Vaughn.
Runaways v2 (30 issues) was BKV for the first 24, and then six issues by Joss Whedon that took a year and a half to come out.
Runaways v3 (14 issues) had nine issues by Terry Moore, a fill-in by Chris Yost, then four issues by Kathryn Immonen.
Runaways v4 (4 issues) was a mini-series during Secret Wars by ND Stevenson and featured a Battleworld team that was largely non-"real" Runaways characters
Runaways v5 (38 issues) was the most recent Rainbow Rowell series where Molly's grandmother showed up and I believe most of the backstory explained upthread was established.

There was also an event miniseries or three, but you can skip practically every Runaways book between the end of BKV's run and the start of Rowell's run and not miss anything of lasting importance, though I did like parts of the Moore and Immonen stories.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
that little preview for spider-boy looks loving dire. Why won't Slott stay away from Spider-Man stuff?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The lovely website I go to for comic news keeps on calling Spider-Boy a popular new character and I, admittedly not closely following what's going on, have not heard anybody with anything good to say about him.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
I, a well-documented irresponsible comics buying moron who buys way too many things in dumb ways, didn't even go for Spider-Boy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

that little preview for spider-boy looks loving dire. Why won't Slott stay away from Spider-Man stuff?

I think for better or for worse, by having written more Spidey than any other writer, including most importantly written the storyline that became the (loose) basis for an Oscar-winning movie*, Slott has stumbled into the position where unless his books just sell abysmally badly, he gets to write Spider-Man until he wants to stop.

e: *yes yes I know Bendis deserves equal if not greater credit for the (again, loose) adaptation of Miles in Spider-Verse, let's not split hairs here.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 15, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Who the gently caress is Spider-Boy?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Air Skwirl posted:

Basically he’s supposed to be Spider-Man’s long lost sidekick that nobody remembers

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Air Skwirl posted:

thetoughestbean posted:

Basically he’s supposed to be Spider-Man’s long lost sidekick that nobody remembers

Alpha.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I think he's batboy but spider?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Any idea what they're doing with Predator? There's no next (issue/thing/arc/volume/thing) announced that I can see. The comics aren't great but they aren't so egregiously bad that I'd expect them to be canned.

Maybe they're letting Predator vs Wolverine stand in while they figure it out? Something has to give or they have to change up how they're labeling/naming them; Alien and Predator cannot just start a new same-titled volume every 5-6 issues indefinitely. I've gotten like three different Alien #1s in less than two years. They can't be planning to keep this up.

...right??

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Well, it always sold the same from Dark Horse so much like Conan I expect sales numbers have slid back below what Marvel finds acceptable. At least with Aliens ect they own them outright so maybe that helps justify keeping them around.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Chances are they're just going to start again at issue 1 with a new storyline. It seems that's all marvel knows what to do, Silk has the same problem.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Well, it always sold the same from Dark Horse so much like Conan I expect sales numbers have slid back below what Marvel finds acceptable. At least with Aliens ect they own them outright so maybe that helps justify keeping them around.

I mean they own Predator outright too, right? Honestly I'm just surprised they haven't pulled the trigger and done an AvP comic.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

What's interesting to me is that they're still offering a print sub as of today. And unlike every other comic that I'm subbed to, it's blank instead of having a date for the next issue.

I think it's obviously on a pause to shake up the team/direction, but it just seems odd how they're going about it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Alien pauses as well after the current arc; the new writer is a major step down from the guy who did the first 18 issues. And the 20th Century branding and numbers are ugly as sin on the covers.

Or rather, that's what I wrote just before I checked the sub: it would appear that this volume of Alien is planning to go past 6 issues. It's very Karmic if I'm finally getting my ongoing Alien series that I wanted, except it's all by this Declan Shalvey :negative:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
lmao at this disrespectful nut who doesn't know who Declan Shalvey is.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The end of the Zdarsky Daredevil was a nice coda. Very cinematic. I'm really glad Elektra was not put back in the box. Her finally following Matt's vision was so well done.

I also really liked Groot finishing up. If anyone skipped it, it's a sure-to-be inconsequential mini where baby Groot teams up with Captain Mar-Vell and actually makes me want more Mar-Vell for the first time, like, ever.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The Immortal Hulk Omnibus is just a bit thicker than Gotham Central, but weighs at least a pound more. I swear this book is like 10 pounds!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's almost a palatable explanation for Hydra!Cap.

I loving hated Hydra!Cap.
I don't care much for 'the gods are their worshippers' thing if you're using the gods as actual characters because it smacks of 1970s fantasy in a bad way to me; but you know who you could get some mileage out of that premise with? The Punisher.

I don't think he'd like it, though.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Frank doesn’t like a lot things

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I read the Spider-Gwen Epic Collection. It is extremely awkward that the title of the book is "Spider Gwen: Ghost Spider" but her actual superhero name is Spider Woman.

I really liked that she just can't loving stand Silk. That is such a fun dynamic to have between superheroes, especially when it's not because one of them committed some kind of unforgivable sin against the other like Danvers and Rogue. They just don't like each other and it makes perfect sense. It helped flesh out Silk's character a lot to be able to see her from that perspective too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't remember that at all, what issues do they interact

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

There's that spider-women crossover with Cindy, Gwen and Jess.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

site posted:

I don't remember that at all, what issues do they interact

It's a SpiderWoman/Silk/Spider-Gwen crossover event where they all get trapped in Spider-Gwen's universe.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Immortal Thor is off to a good start.

This week's ASM went in a direction I didn't expect, so that's something anyway. I probably should have seen it coming.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

ASM good!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I liked Immortal Thor a fair bit. The broader plot stuff is less immediately appealing than Immortal Hulk's horror vibe, but it had a nice oldschool Thor feel. I don't recall seeing the character smile half as much lately, which is weird, because to me out of all the Avengers Classic Thor is the one who should probably have the most fun doing the job, as a battle-loving partial war god. All this dour washed up drunk lately hasn't interested me at all.

That last page of ASM is also an interesting twist. Well's run has had some pretty intense dips but I think overall it at least has some good stuff which is more than I'd give Spencer's run. Curious to see how long this state of affairs even matters, or if it's a fake out like how it looked like Otto was going to cause Norman to fall off the wagon and he didn't.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I liked Immortal Thor a fair bit. The broader plot stuff is less immediately appealing than Immortal Hulk's horror vibe, but it had a nice oldschool Thor feel. [b]I don't recall seeing the character smile half as much lately[b], which is weird, because to me out of all the Avengers Classic Thor is the one who should probably have the most fun doing the job, as a battle-loving partial war god. All this dour washed up drunk lately hasn't interested me at all.

You may have seen it but in case anyone else didn't / is on the fence about reading, Ewing has a letter to fans at the back setting up this run and says there are two components to his pitch for writing the book:

1. Thor is "more" than other heroes. This is a god and he should go above and beyond the biggest of physical threats and mental concepts
2. "I like him best when he smiles"

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
one other thing worth mentioning is that Loki in Immortal is Loki from Defenders, the genderfluid god of stories version. A potential clash between them and Utgard-Loki is more interesting to me now than messing with old fashioned super long horns villain Loki

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
how did he get his arm back?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

how did he get his arm back?

I think it happened early in the run immediately after Aaron's.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The first issue of the "pet Avengers" mini was way more melancholic than I was expecting. I hope they manage to find D-Dog a nice forever home at the end of the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

OnimaruXLR posted:

one other thing worth mentioning is that Loki in Immortal is Loki from Defenders, the genderfluid god of stories version. A potential clash between them and Utgard-Loki is more interesting to me now than messing with old fashioned super long horns villain Loki

that's the loki that's been around since agent of asgard in some form, not defenders-specific.