Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Second level of the worst q2 extra so far: the swamps. Aka, nature's sewers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I finished up Amid Evil Black Labyrinth and it was a nice lil romp - the new weapons were nice but I wish they maybe had done one more, for the "work horse" weapons, but the weapon set is already pretty strong, so I can't fault them too much for not really finding space to add or change it up much more.

One thing that feels a bit funny to me is I feel like the enemies are often not the most readable - it's sometimes hard to pick them out from the environment, or they just don't really pop like in some other games...and yet, it never felt too unfair or cheap, or it was pretty rare wondering why I died? Though there was a few times where an enemy was stuck in a weird place and I couldn't find them.

One thing I didn't like about the last boss was it's wave attacks in the first? phase were kind of annoying to dodge, if it was on the center platform, they'd end up awkwardly high so you couldn't jump them, I think you could duck them, but I was finding it hard to figure out if I needed to jump or duck them unless he was on level ground.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Milo and POTUS posted:

Second level of the worst q2 extra so far: the swamps. Aka, nature's sewers

Yeah, the first few maps in the reckoning are loving dreadful. Also several other maps. Also anytime the repairbots spawn in after you've mostly cleared out the level and rez a bunch of gladiators and tanks.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Should I just get in the practice of gibbing them after then?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ookiimarukochan posted:

Alpha Protocol had a shitload of that, to the extent it harmed it in reviews as most reviewers assumed the game was incredibly linear.

Reminds me of how Bloodborne can end up a very short game if you don't explore enough to find everything

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, the first few maps in the reckoning are loving dreadful. Also several other maps. Also anytime the repairbots spawn in after you've mostly cleared out the level and rez a bunch of gladiators and tanks.

Milo and POTUS posted:

The repair bots actually do something? For the longest time I just assumed they were "flavor" NPCs because they sat around doing nothing except for the one time I attacked one and it eventually fought back. That one remains the only one I'd killed in the entire expansion.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Milo and POTUS posted:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The repair bots actually do something? For the longest time I just assumed they were "flavor" NPCs because they sat around doing nothing except for the one time I attacked one and it eventually fought back. That one remains the only one I'd killed in the entire expansion.

Yeah. I'm taking my time with that expansion (because it's pretty bad I'm not enthused about it) but so far it's only been an issue in Core Reactor in unit 2. That map has a bunch of tanks and gladiators and the repair bots spawn in when you've already gone through and cleared out most of the enemies.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Speaking of revives, I do find it interesting that Q2's medics appear to have the ability to revive each other, so the elite medic is potentially the most hellish Arch-Vile analog in an iD game thanks to the fact that not only can it revive other "arch viles", but it can also summon globs of new enemies as well (including more medics!) It's the most bananas enemy in my opinion and I love it because of how good it feels to kill it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also the spawned in enemies apparently won't drop ammo so yay just a huge resource sink.

edit I really like that one guide says the best way to deal with the upgraded medics is to BFG them, except also they'll almost always spawn an enemy in in front of your BFG ball that'll eat the damage, so prepare to shoot multiple BFGs at it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
played through maximum action and it's actually quite a good time. then gunplay feels good and the soundtrack is killer. the only level i didn't like was the long jungle one. but it's really short, like really short, and although i get that it's one guy working on this himself 20 bucks feels like it's asking a lot for the amount of content so far

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Reckoning did everything it could to ruin the goodwill the rest of the Remaster had built up. Even 64 felt less obnoxious. Quake should never go outside into natural areas and make me decipher footholds to progress. Way too long to get the railgun too.

Only Ground Zero is left, tell me it's better or at least shorter

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Deakul posted:

I just want Wolf '09 to be available to buy at all again.

You can straight up find it on archive.org these days due to how little Zenimax cares about it. Might change once the Activision deal goes through, however.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

DrankSinatra posted:

Black Ops 2 had the most interesting integrations of player choice into a single-player FPS game that I've ever seen. This is bizarre, considering it's the game with Oliver loving North, a setpiece gunfight at a Skrillex concert, and a goddamn Avenged Sevenfold concert in the post-credits scene.

What's cool is that the game doesn't necessarily signpost the moments are big player decisions. You just play the section and your action changes the plot. The big one is when you're tricked into shooting the protagonist of the first BLOPS. I shot him in the head, out of habit. It turns out if I'd shot the guy in the leg he would have survived, and the plot would have turned out differently. Nothing telegraphs this as a point where the plot diverges, and that's kind of neat. I've never seen a game since then do that. It's always a menu choice or set up very explicitly as a decision.

BLOPS 2 single player is genuinely brilliant . The amount of choices are insane.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah apparently one is called "Indefatigable" and involves finding three well-hidden objects throughout the DLC (guide here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3022210533)

To anyone achievement hunting, per the comments you can't get this by going back and doing levels. It all has to be one go. Not ideal, gonna tinker with it tomorrow. I really don't want to have to play through most of the game just for one achievement, I'm kinda looking forward to an FPS break

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Thanks for all the WW2 recs, everyone. I just finished Amid Evil and loved it but for some reason it left me with a hankering for old school Nazi killin'. I think I'll start with Wolfenstein!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The 7th Guest posted:

btw, is the amount of infighting increased in the machinegames expansions? because i never saw that kind of infighting in either base campaign of Q1 & Q2, but suddenly in call of the machine and dimension of the machine, there was way more infighting and friendly fire

Haven't gotten to Q2 yet, but in Q1 I think the increased number of enemies, and having more mixed types together at once, naturally increases infighting opportunities. Q1 infamously kept the enemy count pretty low (and made them more spongey to compensate) because they couldn't afford all the polygons. At least that's how I've heard it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, same in Q2. I saw a bit of infighting in the new expansion, which I had never seen before.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Milo and POTUS posted:

Only Ground Zero is left, tell me it's better or at least shorter

I haven't gotten to it yet (beyond having played it in 1998 or 1999) but it's reputation is that it's far more difficult than the base game. It doesn't have gexxes or whatever they are, and I think it's largely in industrial areas, but it does have multiple enemies that spawn in other enemies like the upgraded medics that are like three worst version of archviles, as well as tiny bullshit spider enemies and a thousand small turrets.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah it's much harder. The medics seem to be everywhere and are better fighters than you'd think. They have a ton of HP for a healing class and spit out lasers which I think pierce shields. Props to anyone doing this on a real difficulty, I'm just doing the achievements as fast as I can. I'm on the penultimate level I think (4?). I assume the last is just a boss battle. It's a lot better than reckoning that's for sure. For one thing you get your arsenal very, very quickly and you aren't forced into bullshit fights because you're lacking the only effective long range weapon in the game for 80% of the time

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
drat I just learned the remaster also nerfed the railgun, it does something like 2/3 the damage now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Baron von Eevl posted:

drat I just learned the remaster also nerfed the railgun, it does something like 2/3 the damage now.

kinda dumb tbh. The enemies are resilient as hell and I assume it's because of contemporary hardware limitations. It feels piss weak. I'd rather ammo more scarce as long as it just feels powerful rather than dumping round after round into enemies. I'm enjoying the game but I don't know if I love it; the multiplayer is definitely doing the heavy lifting in holding it up and the achievements are what got me into the playthrough anyway

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just started Ground Zero on Hard :suicide:

So far it doesn't seem that bad, except for the spider enemies who like to jump away from non-hitscan shots

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7OrfJhf6oM
Civvie's Zortch video publicly available now

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

To anyone achievement hunting, per the comments you can't get this by going back and doing levels. It all has to be one go. Not ideal, gonna tinker with it tomorrow. I really don't want to have to play through most of the game just for one achievement, I'm kinda looking forward to an FPS break

I've also been playing the game in "Warrior" mode (i.e. "melee start" each level) up until now, but it sounds like that might break the achievement's progress so I'll have to disable it if I shoot for unlocking it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Zortch actually looks really solid. For $5 hell why not

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

MMF Freeway posted:

It's great. Maybe a bit too long for the lack of variety in the levels. It's got a real techbase fatigue problem.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Only in single player; Previously the railgun did 100 damage in MP and 150 in SP, now it does 100 in both.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I feel like that's kind of different, in multiplayer you're going against people that almost always either have 100hp or less, you're only adding the ability to survive if you have any armor or over 100hp. There's some exceptionally tanky enemies in SP including multiple actual tanks and a whole bunch of them now require 3 shots instead of 2, or 4 instead of 3. The tank takes 8 slugs instead of 5.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doom64 slaps

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It's because

a.) All the instances of weapons having different stats/mechanics in single player were removed and replaced with the MP stats for consistency
b.) The undocumented-until-the-remaster surprise double damage mechanic meant you could whip out 300-damage shots on a whim, which is probably a bit much.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The 7th Guest posted:

Doom64 slaps

Hell yeah

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

zortch is really fuckin amazing i bought it with low expectations and it blew me away

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Playing Ground Zero and I just got locked in the Munitions Plant after picking up the Security Pass. There's a yellow force field in front of the "secondary" entrance to the Ammo Depot (which is where I'm supposed to go), one in front of the entrance *from* the Depot I came from, and one in front of the first entrance.

What the gently caress is going on? Did I miss a switch or a power cube somewhere? I already hit the button by the Security pass pickup location.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Kins posted:

It's because

a.) All the instances of weapons having different stats/mechanics in single player were removed and replaced with the MP stats for consistency
b.) The undocumented-until-the-remaster surprise double damage mechanic meant you could whip out 300-damage shots on a whim, which is probably a bit much.

I feel like you really should not be nerfing weapon damage based on something you are not doing 99% of the time

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

Mouse aiming felt really lovely for me which is like, the one thing that will get me to drop an FPS game. I think the dev may have tried to fix it up so I’ll give it another go.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
I imagine it's also to encourage using quad damage a bit more, cause even with that damage reduction I've had 2/2 quads stocked for most of the game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The quad + double trick I read about here made the end boss of The Reckoning a pushover, heh

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

site posted:

I feel like you really should not be nerfing weapon damage based on something you are not doing 99% of the time

The double damage happens a lot whether you think you're doing it or not. Every time you shoot an enemy that isn't aware of you (which given the railgun is infinite distance, is often) you're getting it.

Either way, we're bumping it up to 125 for SP in the patch. Knocks the rails for Berserker down back to 2 if they see you, 1 shot if surprise, but still stops you from melting the big guys at a distance without even giving them a chance to retaliate.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Pyrolocutus posted:

Playing Ground Zero and I just got locked in the Munitions Plant after picking up the Security Pass. There's a yellow force field in front of the "secondary" entrance to the Ammo Depot (which is where I'm supposed to go), one in front of the entrance *from* the Depot I came from, and one in front of the first entrance.

What the gently caress is going on? Did I miss a switch or a power cube somewhere? I already hit the button by the Security pass pickup location.

Have you tried the compass in your inventory to show you where to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

spongeh posted:

The double damage happens a lot whether you think you're doing it or not. Every time you shoot an enemy that isn't aware of you (which given the railgun is infinite distance, is often) you're getting it.

Either way, we're bumping it up to 125 for SP in the patch. Knocks the rails for Berserker down back to 2 if they see you, 1 shot if surprise, but still stops you from melting the big guys at a distance without even giving them a chance to retaliate.

I think that's a reasonable middle ground. I'm also not someone who is terribly concerned with weapon balance in single player campaigns, though.