Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Holocure protip : don't ever sell shrimp. Your catches of the other fish scale up as you get more rods, but shrimp... you'll never have enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
The new VS engine seems worse. I had to turn off limit breaks otherwise the game slows down to an unplayable crawl 3 minutes into a Sammy run. I was able to get to 5 minutes before. I also had to take worse arcana for the game to not explode and only reached level 2942 and 13 million gold before 31 minutes were up.

Edit: Was able to get to level 6313 and 16.9 million gold within 19 minutes with the old engine and better arcana and limit breaks.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 20, 2023

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

GrandpaPants posted:

Does Holocure have DPS statistics? I'm on Hard 2 but I'm brick walling on it and I think it's because I'm not doing enough damage.

How are you building your characters? Have you been getting the achievement unlocks that give you new items? In particular you want to make sure you get all the "have this character survive for 10 minutes" ones, because those items are easy unlocks and often very useful. Gorilla hand, Mask, and Sweets are all good DPS items that also have disadvantages that Shackles can remove, and if you do get Shackles then you can also grab Injection or Membership for even bigger DPS boosts. (If the item description has a malus in red text, then Shackles removes that negative effect.) Most items Shackles effects are DPS-based, so if you do get them your DPS becomes very high.

If you're at least okay at dodging then Pillow is usually enough survivability, especially if you have a special that gives you some amount of invincibility for the big dodge waves. Melee characters should also get Headband anyway, and the additional movement speed makes them especially survivable.

Crit builds are another DPS option for characters with a crit gimmick (Sake + Pill + Soda) but usually kind of a trap, since it hinges on the Pill + Soda combo and both are on the rarer side. Okay if you can get Soda, since that's the rarest part, but risky to go for without already having it. Shackles is also rare, but the three items I mentioned above are all fine without it, it's only Injection and Membership that are really punishing without. For those crit gimmick characters, consider just grabbing Sake and getting its Super Collab (Water + Glowstick + Sake) for the permanent +20% crit. (There's a bug where it's actually +39% due to not removing the Sake buff properly, but that may have been patched out of the Steam version. I'm using the initial itch.io release for this version.)

Edit: The newly buffed Glasses is also a good DPS item, provided you get it early. I just usually forget that buff happened.

Einander fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 20, 2023

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
Hello thread. I made a video basically about this thread. Thanks for all the sick recommendations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH7K-EyINYY

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 24, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There was a rough outline of things to do to unlock everything in VS I remember seeing a while back that was laid out like Early/mid/late game milestones, anyone have a link to that handy? I know following the achievements generally works for this but I am unlocking everything again on the PC version and found that pretty helpful.

Edit: Found it!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Aug 20, 2023

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Beat Hard 3 with Fauna and Mumei so far, the latter is still pretty good even after nerfs/rebalancing. Both times I ended up relying on the healing zone super collab, with Full Heal and/or Plushie you can practically facetank everything short of bosses once you get it since you just heal so much, though it only comes online at level 50 so it still takes some work to get there (especially since Hard enemies are stingier with the EXP, so you'll have to invest in Lab Coat, Glasses and/or Halu to get it going within a reasonable timeframe).

Einander posted:

How are you building your characters? Have you been getting the achievement unlocks that give you new items? In particular you want to make sure you get all the "have this character survive for 10 minutes" ones, because those items are easy unlocks and often very useful. Gorilla hand, Mask, and Sweets are all good DPS items that also have disadvantages that Shackles can remove, and if you do get Shackles then you can also grab Injection or Membership for even bigger DPS boosts. (If the item description has a malus in red text, then Shackles removes that negative effect.) Most items Shackles effects are DPS-based, so if you do get them your DPS becomes very high.

Membership is often worth taking even without Shackles, the 3 coin/second drain is nearly negligible once the game really gets going, even if you're doing a money-farming run. Injection, on the other hand, is definitely not one you want to take without Shackles unless you're really confident.

Substandard posted:

I somehow paid no attention the the fandom thing after unlocking it which probably would have helped, because I thought stage 4 was pretty difficult and failed it probably a dozen times. The game is real good if you like VS though. I will say it doesn't really auto target well, everything just fires in the direction you are facing if you don't manually target things which probably makes it unplayable as a true auto shooter at higher levels and it's more of a dual joystick thing unless I'm missing something.

While mouse gives you finer aim, you can also lock your character's current direction by holding Z, which will cause them to face/fire in that direction regardless of how you move. Later on, most collabs will do big AOEs centered around your character, so once you get one of them going you can stop worrying about aiming as much and just focus on movement.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Inadequately posted:

Beat Hard 3 with Fauna and Mumei so far, the latter is still pretty good even after nerfs/rebalancing. Both times I ended up relying on the healing zone super collab, with Full Heal and/or Plushie you can practically facetank everything short of bosses once you get it since you just heal so much, though it only comes online at level 50 so it still takes some work to get there (especially since Hard enemies are stingier with the EXP, so you'll have to invest in Lab Coat, Glasses and/or Halu to get it going within a reasonable timeframe).

Have you tried Anya? I haven't taken her into a Hard stage yet, but her Slumber seems ridiculous for survival. Run around killing things, and then when you need a break just stand still and recover to full before going on your merry, murdery way.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I've beaten Hard 3 with both Suisei and Ayame, and Suisei was with no supercollabs (stuff didn't pan out the way I wanted). Turns out a valid winning strategy is just extreme amounts of dps.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I beat Hard 3 on my first try using IRyS cause she's impossible to kill.

My other attempts with Mumei, Korone, Mio, and Kaela all failed though. I probably should have built more healing on them.

Still haven't tried out like half the new cast yet, but all the talk in this thread is making me considering Anya.

Ollie's skillset seems really... haphazard yet balanced in a way. Like, there doesn't seem to be any particular synergy in her skills from what I can tell, but put 'em all together and they work really nice - a 10-second cooldown revive, a buff, and a screenwide CC / nuke.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I think the idea behind Ollie is that you're encouraged to be reckless with her - you want to always be moving to charge up your ninja special, so you're more likely to bump into your merch buff items and take more self-damage that way, but you get free revives from Undead to make up for it.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
My Holocure builds are kinday samey, almost always go for Dragon Fire collab for long range single target so I can effectively DPS bosses while running as far as I need to.

Headphones for mitigation, Just Bandage and the new Jingisukan super collab for heals. Any healing option is better than no healing option of course.

Unlocked the Focus Shades by playing Vestia Zeta (HOLO ID gen 3) for 10 minutes and that item seems stupidly good for anyone unless you are specifically avoiding crit. +30% crit and 500% DOT on any multishot or ranged item? Maybe I'm misunderstanding but that seems crazy good.

At this point with most of the metaprogression done I rarely fail to clear unless I take Halu 5.

On another note: Does the game get any chuggier than Hakos Baelz's ult (EN 2) with the new Idol Live super collab?

https://i.imgur.com/harvuRe.mp4

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 21, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

In VS if I re-do the steps to unlock the yellow sign do I get to walk through all of it again? After unlocking that last night I realized that would be a demo for my friend about how batshit the game gets.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Nope. However, if you type iwanttoseeitagain while in the Secrets menu, you can. There's a bunch of these "Spells" you can cast. While the majority are cheat codes to unlock things early, there are a few that do special stuff at the bottom of that list.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Onean posted:

Nope. However, if you type iwanttoseeitagain while in the Secrets menu, you can. There's a bunch of these "Spells" you can cast. While the majority are cheat codes to unlock things early, there are a few that do special stuff at the bottom of that list.

Thanks! This'll do.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
New Boneraiser Minions update, this time all about visual accesibility:

quote:

Some bits and bobs to help with visibility...
- A new 'Screen Saturation' visibility setting has been added which allows you to reduce the game's colour saturation.
- A new 'Screen Brightness' visibility setting has been added which allows you to boost the game's colour brightness (this replaces the old 'Light Mode' setting giving more precise control).
- Enemies will now show over the Darkness layer that surrounds the edge of the screen.
- The opacity of minions is now reduced the more minions you have (to a max of -25%). Note this modifier is multiplied by the 'Ghostly Minions' setting so is only really noticeable if you start with a high 'Ghostly Minion' setting.
- The opacity of regular pickups is also now reduced in a similar way as the minions change (this doesn't affect important pickups like Relics).
- The 'Ghostly Minions' and 'Ghostly Pickups' visibility settings can now be changed in intervals of 10% (instead of 20%).
- A tutorial ghosty has been added to the Hub just in case you missed the lamp shade's Visibility settings and to highlight some of the more important options.

There's a new summon and a bunch of new gameplay changes:

quote:

- A new enemy has been added called the Colossus Cyclops who is an even bigger brother to the Goliath Cyclops. They'll show up if you have a level 3 'Mount Eyeball Might' meta where their AoE ground pound attacks leave blazes of fire. The Beast Whisperer class can raise them by combining a Cyclops, Goliath Cyclops, and Hero Soul, and the Cyclop Exile class may occasionally have chance to hire one.
- A new Traveller event has been added called 'Hired Swole' where you can hire a Human meanie to join your legion.
- A new curse has been added called Sloth which just reduces all running speeds.
- Class Meta Summary: This now shows an extra line of text to describe more of the meta.
- Boneraise Lore - Diablos Incantation meta: You can now summon a Diablos at level 1. Level 2 now creates a lightning storm when summoning a Diablos, while level 3 also casts the 'Sinful Incitements' spell.
- Boneworld Challenges: When choosing a Challenge you can now press Down to view that Challenge's Class Meta Summary.
- Boneworld Challenges: If you're currently playing the Daily then the Quit Menu will now only offer the option to Kill Thyself (instead of also offering a 'Quit to Hub' and 'Quit to Title' option).
- Creative Plaything: A new Meanies mutator has been added called 'Meanie Drops' allowing you to turn off enemy death pickups (useful for testing stuff).
- Hub - Goblusious: The Giga Banish magic coins system has been removed (you now just sell Giga Banishes like any other meta).
- Behemoth Miner: Increased the boneraise chance of being offered one to 18% (instead of 15%).
- Magpie Monocle relic: It's ability to remove the border darkness has been removed (it just seemed to confuse people).
- Blooden Cloak / Jellied Eel relisc: These will no longer be active during boss fights (since your base Health regen is greatly reduced).

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Maybe I missed stuff, does Boneraiser have actual content beyond the smattering of metaprogression that takes like 2-3 finished runs to unlock? I know there are harder modes, but with builds extremely railroaded by character it feels weird that you'd ever want to play the game enough to care about the stuff he keeps adding.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Every class takes a different approach in build and some in gameplay(Brainiac, Contraptioneer, Jester, Possessed, etc) so if you don't see the appeal of getting wins with all of them then the content is sparser, yes.

There's also per stage play and each stage steadily raises the difficulty. If you don't want to place clears on every stage as each class then the content is slashed again. If you don't want to shoot for high scores then etc etc.

Nothing against it either way, you like the arcade appeal of trying a new run, trying to improve, trying to beat things at their hardest or you enjoy a few clears and put it down. The achievements are structured to encourage it, beat the game twice or do good at survival(necrotic) mode with every class.

At its heart still a VS-alike, after all.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I haven't played Boneraiser in a while but I like that it ramped up really fast. Even 7 minutes in survival felt crazy.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

The new VS engine seems worse. I had to turn off limit breaks otherwise the game slows down to an unplayable crawl 3 minutes into a Sammy run. I was able to get to 5 minutes before. I also had to take worse arcana for the game to not explode and only reached level 2942 and 13 million gold before 31 minutes were up.

Edit: Was able to get to level 6313 and 16.9 million gold within 19 minutes with the old engine and better arcana and limit breaks.

I'm having the same experience on mobile. A while back, I was able to complete a Sammy run with limit breaks. Now it's more or less unplayable (in as much as you play VS) well before 5 minutes. I'm also able to break out of level geometry in ways I don't think are intentional. It was the only way I could find my way around Astral Stairs.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

7seven7 posted:

Hello thread. I made a video basically about this thread. Thanks for all the sick recommendations.

"picked up the game, died four times to mantis's, declared it the shittiest game in existence" lol classic VS

points off for calling magic survival 'mid' though :argh:

Fuck You And Diebold fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 21, 2023

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Tried vampire survivor remote play for the first time.

Pretty good.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

7seven7 posted:

I have wrung every drop I have felt I can from VS. I love it. Every time I check on it and see there's suddenly 5 new achievements to get, "you son of a bitch I'm in", I hop the gently caress to it and get them. I 100%'d the base game and I keep it at 100% with every iteration this magical unicorn of a developer provides us. I've played every character at least once, killed death and gotten them some eggs. You don't have to do this, but I did it. I've ticked off all the boxes.

All that being said, I've got almost 93 hours in the game. Maybe it's testament to the fact that I'm not completely susceptible to the addictive mechanics you're calling out, but I did binge the bejeezus out of this game for my first two weeks of playing it. Once I'm caught up with new content, I'm done and can walk away. I see folks with 1k or 2k hours though and it astonishes me.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

5er posted:

I have wrung every drop I have felt I can from VS. I love it. Every time I check on it and see there's suddenly 5 new achievements to get, "you son of a bitch I'm in", I hop the gently caress to it and get them. I 100%'d the base game and I keep it at 100% with every iteration this magical unicorn of a developer provides us. I've played every character at least once, killed death and gotten them some eggs. You don't have to do this, but I did it. I've ticked off all the boxes.

All that being said, I've got almost 93 hours in the game. Maybe it's testament to the fact that I'm not completely susceptible to the addictive mechanics you're calling out, but I did binge the bejeezus out of this game for my first two weeks of playing it. Once I'm caught up with new content, I'm done and can walk away. I see folks with 1k or 2k hours though and it astonishes me.

Same! Normally when a game is feeding me so much dopamine that I can't put it down, it ends with me burning out and never touching it again but VS somehow dodged that and I'm not sure why

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

5er posted:

This is almost precisely me, except I've got like 130 hours. The game simply feels good to play as long as I have an objective to pursue. I know Poncle wasn't deliberately trying to stunt on the AAA gaming industry by making a game which ruthlessly exploits my brain's reward centers the way gambling and gacha and microtransactions do and then taking absolutely no advantage of players whatsoever but it almost feels like a flex.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

5er posted:

As sad as my existence is that 1600 hour screenshot wasn't from my Steam profile. This person had 1-2k in most of the games they'd played. I don't think I've put that many hours into anything I've ever done and I can't understand where they find the time or the motivation for it. But I'm not sure the gambling mechanics in VS are to blame here - I think some people just be like that.

Pope Guilty posted:

This is almost precisely me, except I've got like 130 hours. The game simply feels good to play as long as I have an objective to pursue. I know Poncle wasn't deliberately trying to stunt on the AAA gaming industry by making a game which ruthlessly exploits my brain's reward centers the way gambling and gacha and microtransactions do and then taking absolutely no advantage of players whatsoever but it almost feels like a flex.

This is my take too. I think Galante knew exactly what he was doing with the dopamine overload and was a good enough human being to not want to take financial advantage of it.

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 23, 2023

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Some people just never close games, and steam racks up the idle hours.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
i love that theres pieces of cheese you can pick up in Halls of Torment . i feel really empowered when i procure it

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
How do you unlock the fishing and management part of holocure, I hopped back on after not playing since hologamers got put in back when it was still on itch.io. I've beat stage 3 with irys so far

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

How do you unlock the fishing and management part of holocure, I hopped back on after not playing since hologamers got put in back when it was still on itch.io. I've beat stage 3 with irys so far

As long as you have the house itself unlocked (done by completing stage 1), you have all the features unlocked. Fish in the pond by hitting [confirm] while standing next to it, turn in your fish and buy betters rods by talking to Bloop the shark above the pond, interact with the notice board in the bottom right to do management stuff.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

serefin99 posted:

As long as you have the house itself unlocked (done by completing stage 1), you have all the features unlocked. Fish in the pond by hitting [confirm] while standing next to it, turn in your fish and buy betters rods by talking to Bloop the shark above the pond, interact with the notice board in the bottom right to do management stuff.

Thanks, I haven't replayed stage 1 yet because I was focusing on the new (to me) content. It carried all my progress over from the itch version and popped a bunch of achievements when I launched the steam version for the first time but I guess not everything gets unlocked automatically

So for some reason, the game runs good until the screen gets extremely crowded but runs like extreme poo poo during holohouse? Is this normal or should I be doing something with my settings? I'm on a 2070 which isn't the beefiest gpu but I feel like it should be able to handle farming and fishing sim.

What should I be prioritizing in my workers, efficiency? Max level?

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 25, 2023

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Sometimes during a run in Holocure I run into a golden hammer (sledgehammer? Definitely not an anvil) that doesn't prompt any upgrades or other screens when I pick it up and I get just a golden hammer icon in the upper right hand corner of the UI without interrupting any gameplay. What is that?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's for super collabs. There are four collabs that can collab with an item.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
What an age to be alive

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Yeah, if you have a collab that can be used in a super collab, you'll see the golden hammer forming in the upper right of the screen to show you're on the right track to getting a super collab. Then, when you're level 50 or when you've got at least 3 collabs total, you'll have a chance for the golden hammer to drop.

Each super collab, in addition to being a new weapon, also retains some of the effect of the item you sacrificed for it, i.e. the super collab that uses Gorilla Paw will also multiply your damage by 1.3 with no crit penalty.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
It's worth noting that Jingisukan's description is deceptive--like the pool attack items, it's per pool you're in, so you can basically facetank bosses if you combine it with the Meal Set.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The more I play VS in co-op the more I love it. Restricting the amount of items you can carry means you actually have to think more about specializing in a certain type of item than you normally would solo and it's neat having each member of the party doing different things. My friend bought VS after we played it in co-op the first time so it's also nice being able to jump in his game and help him out with early game stuff since it starts out pretty slow. I'm a big fan of being able to do and unlock everything while in co-op.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Did a little couch co-op for the first time this week and it was a ton of fun. Definitely helped get my wife over that initial hump and get her hooked!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What should I be prioritizing in my workers, efficiency? Max level?

Unfortunately I don't know anything about your performance issues, but I've got a little bit on this. Each level increases a worker's efficiency by 1 and stamina by 2. So just add together their starting efficiency and max level to get that final number. Each point of stamina lasts for 20 seconds and continues to tick down as long as the game's open whether you're at the House or running a stage.

How efficiency plays into the number of coins you get I don't know. I tried doing a really quick timer, but coin amounts don't tick up at a consistent rate for each worker and I was getting between 3-8 coins multiplied by efficiency every 20 seconds. I think it'd be best to just start with everyone at 0 stamina, feed them to full and then see how much they gathered when they're exhausted again. I'm going to try that now, but that's going to take a bit of time.

Edit: After doing this there's no super-easy calculation I can see so there's likely a bit of randomness thrown in there I don't have the knowledge or time to figure out. Higher efficiency is better than higher stamina, that's about all I can confidently say.

Onean fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 25, 2023

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Been playing this on Switch and I really am enjoying Pugnala as a character. Finally figured out how to evolve her starting weapons and that took me to a victory in the 4th stage.

I unlocked some Arcana? They explain stuff but how do they work, or do they all just apply?

I can't figure out how the cat witch works, I figure I need to get her to a certain point of success but that weapon is not collaborating, as intended I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
When you start a new run you can pick one of your unlocked arcana and it will apply for the rest of the run. At around 10 and 20 minutes you get a purple treasure chest and those will both give you random set of four arcana to pick from.

Cat Witch is kinda awkward to start with just because the cats will attack you, they attack you less as your luck goes up, and they can eat pickups for beneficial effects. feed them chickens and their attack rises and they'll attack you less. Evolve it with the Stone Mask and that problem stops