Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ex post facho posted:

when bg3 releases on ps5 I'll probly put down d4 forever tbqh

This is such a weird criticism of D4, and I say that as someone who's still kinda-sorta playing D4 (maybe half an hour a day) but has largely put it down in favor of BG3.

BG3's an amazing game. It's got a cool story, an insanely detailed world, and the character interactions can be hilarious. But it's also very much a narrative-driven experience and, as much as I am right there with everyone else theory crafting how I might re-play it as the durge or try one of the companions-as-origin play-through, at the end of the day the story is going to be the same. You're going to make the same decisions about whether to save or murder this camp, going to go to the same places, etc., and frankly the combat - while fine - isn't some kind of insanely crunchy thing that's going to draw you back time and again for the tactics. XCOM it isn't.

Which means that, yeah, I'm playing the gently caress out of BG3 and loving it but will I ever do a second complete play through? I dunno. I'll probably fire up a few different characters to test them out, but a total re-play will probably take a few years to happen. I'm enjoying the story but once it's done I'll probably be out looking for new stories.

D4 is, for better or worse, just loving mindless looter mayhem. The campaign was loving amazing for a Diablo game but it's not like I'm re-playing it and it's not like people were replaying D3's story every season either. I'll guarantee that - assuming they don't completely poo poo the bed with support for later seasons - I'll still be firing up D4 every couple of months to dip into a season, same as I did with D3, long after BG3's been uninstalled.

Again, I say this as someone who is 100% on board with BG3 being the better game, but they're different enough that saying you put down one for the other is just strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Rexicon1 posted:

You are making GBS threads up the thread way worse with this weird baby tantrum.

Sometimes you gotta call out the bullshit my dude. Im out of stuff to do in this early access beta so all I have left is to screech into the abyss.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Can I just check, the annoying seasonal elites that takes ages to chip away at - my reward for defeating them is that I have to... fight them again?

Am I doing it wrong, is there a way I'm supposed to be capturing the heart first time? I was sort of hoping when I got the cage upgrade from the seasonal quest, that would be it, but no.

L52 storm / pummel druid btw.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Can I just check, the annoying seasonal elites that takes ages to chip away at - my reward for defeating them is that I have to... fight them again?

Am I doing it wrong, is there a way I'm supposed to be capturing the heart first time? I was sort of hoping when I got the cage upgrade from the seasonal quest, that would be it, but no.

L52 storm / pummel druid btw.

If you're having to chip away at them your build is hosed up or you're killing monsters way above your level.

About 75% of the time when I see one they go down like any other elite and I only realize they had heartworms after I'm backtracking through the area again (lol loving backtracking) and notice one of the hearts sitting in among all the yellows and random gems I never bothered to pick up.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The loot in BG3 is totally rad despite having no expectations for it in a 5E game, and looks awesome too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

exquisite tea posted:

The loot in BG3 is totally rad despite having no expectations for it in a 5E game, and looks awesome too.

I vendored that item. It's not especially good because none of your party members really have a 1h with empty off-hand build.

Those descriptions are just wordier versions of "5% increased crit chance" and "+3 damage".

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Oh hello rapier that I need to get for Wyll. Act 3 item I take it?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you're having to chip away at them your build is hosed up or you're killing monsters way above your level.
Just moved to wt3 after finally finishing the campaign, did a few whisper cellars to get some 650+ gear, went back to finish the seasonal questline and holy poo poo does it draaag. The t3 malignant elites easily take as long as some wt1 bosses (especially if they have poison enchant) and then you have to fight the little shits again.

Is there anywhere I can easily link my build because it feels like it does more mob clear damage than straight big bear, but maybe I looked up a beta / pre-nerf build.

andromache
Aug 27, 2009

Lawful Neutral Paper Pusher Elemental.
I mean as someone who really really wanted D4 to succeed I’ve just decided they’ve found new and inventive ways to poo poo the bed on release.

It’s D3 all over again just without the real money AH.

I watch this thread but it’ll be a year or more before blizzard delivers the game we all actually wanted.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh hello rapier that I need to get for Wyll. Act 3 item I take it?

Yes, for successfully completing the Save Vanra questline. Probably the best Bard/Lock weapon in the game.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

exquisite tea posted:

Yes, for successfully completing the Save Vanra questline. Probably the best Bard/Lock weapon in the game.

It's only specifically okay for Wyll because he starts with proficiency for rapiers. Normal Warlocks do not.

Your Warlock should be a 24/7 Eldritch Blast and Hex machine.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Bg3 has no endgame loop and thus is a bad game in early access.

D4 not having paladins is its biggest sin. Want to shield smash and hammer time.

faantastic fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 21, 2023

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.
I heard that when the game actually launches next year they are going to delete everyone’s early access characters.

Legit though Wudijo made a great video pointing out the areas the game needs improvement in and a dev actually responded saying they are working on a lot of them.

I can’t think of any arpg released in the last 15 years that came with a crazy robust end game at launch. The neat thing about seasonal arpgs is that you can put them down and come back to a clean slate a few months later.

I feel like the same people complaining about “early access” would also complain if they continued to develop the game for another year in a vacuum without getting millions of hours of playtime data to make decisions with.

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

faantastic posted:

D4 not having paladins is its biggest sin. Want to shield smash and hammer time.

Praying for a hybrid paladin/spear amazon class.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

settle down beavis

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

El Scandelouse posted:

Praying for a hybrid paladin/spear amazon class.

I really wanted rogue to with bow to fill the Amazon role but yeah I need my nostalgia classes apparently.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I found a site:

https://lothrik.github.io/diablo4-b...AJgCcArgEtdAXyA

Again it served me very well as a levelling build, but now I'm trying to take on t3 it's feeling a bit underpowered. Might just be I don't have all 600+ gear yet.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i'm only playing the season in co-op (ps5) on weekends and it's been a good time. my biggest annoyance is that i'm determined to stick to Nature's Fury druid and the game will only give me shapeshifting uniques :argh:

i had cross-platform off and we had to duo a world boss though. i wish we could see platform population info

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

D4 is, for better or worse, just loving mindless looter mayhem. The campaign was loving amazing for a Diablo game but it's not like I'm re-playing it and it's not like people were replaying D3's story every season either. I'll guarantee that - assuming they don't completely poo poo the bed with support for later seasons - I'll still be firing up D4 every couple of months to dip into a season, same as I did with D3, long after BG3's been uninstalled.

I think that kind of criticism is really just pointing out that D4 fails at being the type of live service game that gives you reasons to keep coming back to it. Blizzard isn’t doing events, regular content updates, deep seasonal mechanics, etc. and we’ll have to see if they ever get to that point.

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing to lots of people. When I was into Destiny 2 I could see how easily it becomes the only game you’ll ever play and I don’t want to become sucked into a single thing for too long.

Blizzard would absolutely love Diablo 4 to be that kind of game but they just aren’t doing it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Tiny Timbs posted:

I think that kind of criticism is really just pointing out that D4 fails at being the type of live service game that gives you reasons to keep coming back to it. Blizzard isn’t doing events, regular content updates, deep seasonal mechanics, etc. and we’ll have to see if they ever get to that point.

This isn’t necessarily a bad thing to lots of people. When I was into Destiny 2 I could see how easily it becomes the only game you’ll ever play and I don’t want to become sucked into a single thing for too long.

Blizzard would absolutely love Diablo 4 to be that kind of game but they just aren’t doing it.

Hello fellow time traveler, just a reminder that we aren't supposed to reveal secrets of the future to the common Folk. Remember your vow!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don’t know what to tell you if you think “remains to be seen” is a confident statement of what the future holds.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Lord Chronos will have already dispatched the Eon Legions to collect you

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

“Blizzard hasn’t done this yet and we’ll have to see if they will” woah Nostradamus you’re putting a lot of weight into your crystal ball’s proclamations

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

Tiny Timbs posted:

“Blizzard hasn’t done this yet and we’ll have to see if they will” woah Nostradamus you’re putting a lot of weight into your crystal ball’s proclamations

I think a Crystal Ball Proclamation dropped for my necromancer last night.

Game has good bones and Blizz said they are going to keep on making it better. I’m pumped for the two confirmed expansions later on down the road. Until then I’ll continue to do one class per season until I run out.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Excited to spend more money on diablo 4 as well

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

flashman posted:

Excited to spend more money on diablo 4 as well

*shrug* I've gotten 171 hours out of it. If you told me that they've got a $40 expac scheduled for release in the middle of next year a la LoD or whatever the D3 necro expansion was called? Yeah, I"d be stoked to get another 100+ hours out of it.

edit: see also why I'm kinda fine with all the expansions Paradox releases for their games. I grumble a bit when I pay $30 for a new one, but inevitably I end up logging another 100 hours on Stellaris so. . . . *shrug*

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 21, 2023

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

We will all buy the full priced game expansion pack and this is why the games are released in early access

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I enjoy 2023 video game Diablo 4, especially when playing with my friends that also enjoy it, and I will stop playing it should I find myself no longer enjoying it. Thank you for reading please like and subscribe.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

El Scandelouse posted:

Sometimes you gotta call out the bullshit my dude. Im out of stuff to do in this early access beta so all I have left is to screech into the abyss.

You are the bullshit.

You are being repeatedly called out.

The thread shitter is you.

Your reflexive denial of every criticism is the sad man baby trait that makes many conversations about media pointless. You like it, therefore it must be good. You like it, therefore no criticism can be legitimate.

You post in this thread like 8 times per day, at least half of them are white noise “nuh uh”, or else Shapiroisms “ you complain about the game but you play it”

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

pseudanonymous posted:

You are the bullshit.

You are being repeatedly called out.

The thread shitter is you.

Your reflexive denial of every criticism is the sad man baby trait that makes many conversations about media pointless. You like it, therefore it must be good. You like it, therefore no criticism can be legitimate.

You post in this thread like 8 times per day, at least half of them are white noise “nuh uh”, or else Shapiroisms “ you complain about the game but you play it”

Lmao dude. I’ve said several times the game needs some work but it has good bones. Calm down.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
e a r l y a c c e s s

El Scandelouse
Jan 10, 2003

Love, Drunkchat.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

e a r l y a c c e s s

It’s the new buttery males.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Again, I say this as someone who is 100% on board with BG3 being the better game, but they're different enough that saying you put down one for the other is just strange.

you're right that they're pretty different genres, and that was a flawed comparison I made. Thing is I really WANT to like d4 more and play it more but it just isn't digging its claws into me the way I expected or wanted. BG3 just seems...fresher?

ultimately it's about limited gaming time (for me), and unless d4 changes things up pretty significantly IDK how much/how often I plan to come back. "Putting it down forever" is pretty hyperbolic too. I know I'll be back to check out subsequent seasons, and just want to see it get to where I feel ROS is today.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 21, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Maybe I have warped expectations but if a game gives me 100+ hours of enjoyment I’m pretty stoked.

Obviously I want every game to be its absolute best that it can be and I hope D4 receives tinkering to polish it even more.

The end game feels of never getting to upgrade loot for 10 levels at a time seems especially poopy.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Salt of the earth gamer raising some good points about D4's development process. Hilarious and informative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guLdxvf4Wfw

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

cool av posted:

another major difference is talent/skill/gear choice isn’t a matter of 10-100% effectiveness, it’s like 0-10,000% due to stacking synergies you have to find. you either have arpg brain or look up a build to remain effective into the mid-high levels.
This is the biggest issue I have with D4 right now. The difference in effectiveness between the meta builds and other builds is enormous. I don’t expect complete equity but by golly they aren’t even in the same zip codes.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Ornery and Hornery posted:

This is the biggest issue I have with D4 right now. The difference in effectiveness between the meta builds and other builds is enormous. I don’t expect complete equity but by golly they aren’t even in the same zip codes.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of trying to comprehend what's changed since I last looked. I'll be back in six months. I don't want to hyper optimize or anything but the skill balance has been pretty poo poo and I hope it gets addressed eventually.

Be good to one another goons.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Maybe I have warped expectations but if a game gives me 100+ hours of enjoyment I’m pretty stoked.

While this is fair, if you asked me if I want to pay $1 per hour for a Subnautica-esque experience or $0.1 per hour for a D4-esque experience, I'd pick the Subnautica every single time.

And hey, maybe your Subnautica-equivalent IS D4, in which case, good for you.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Does Subnautica have a decent end-game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

What do you mean? Barber heart is the great equalizer that makes every build able to clear 100% of the content in the game. Or are you referring to deliberately handicapping yourself by not using the very strong thing?

Edit: I got more enjoyment out of Diablo 4 than subnautica by a lot. People have different tastes 🤷

Jaytan fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 21, 2023