Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Dredd isn't streaming anywhere I don't think which is pretty poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Always fun to watch some older stuff and see actors in small parts before they hit the big time.

I am in the middle of season 4 of my first watch of Babylon 5, and who shows up out of nowhere, but Bryan Cranston. It’s a shame he didn’t get to survive the episode. Most of the other random people are that “I kinda recognize them from other stuff from back then”.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

You should probably buy the Blu Ray anyway. (Unless there’s a UHD forthcoming anytime soon.)

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

You should probably buy the Blu Ray anyway. (Unless there’s a UHD forthcoming anytime soon.)

I keep an old PS3 hooked up to an equally old 3D monitor just so I can watch the Dredd 3D bluray when the mood strikes.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I think I read somewhere they had ideas for three Dredd movies and the third one was going to involve Judge Death. For those unfamiliar with the comics, Death and his pals are spirits/ghosts/whatever from another dimension where life itself is a crime (because only the living commit crimes). He’s one of the few recurring villains in the comics because Dredd has a habit of killing everyone mortal.

I’m not sure how that would have went over with a general audience… If you became a fan because the first movie was relatively grounded & small stakes, introducing an extradimensional demon that threatens to wipe all life off the planet might be a big jump.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Orvin posted:

Always fun to watch some older stuff and see actors in small parts before they hit the big time.

I am in the middle of season 4 of my first watch of Babylon 5, and who shows up out of nowhere, but Bryan Cranston. It’s a shame he didn’t get to survive the episode. Most of the other random people are that “I kinda recognize them from other stuff from back then”.

His first role is even crazier

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think a second movie that starts with a little bit of the robot wars as kind of a prologue and is mostly about the cursed earth, and then a third movie about judge death that ends with Anderson's sacrifice would be a pretty solid trilogy. At least if they started working on the sequels 10 years ago.

I don't know how much of the audience was there because it was small and grounded, it kind of famously barely had any audience at all. I don't think timely sequels would have been financially successful and they certainly wouldn't be now, but I do kind of wish we'd gotten them anyway.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Good god does the Roku app for HBO Max suck rear end. It's always been bad but it keeps getting worse somehow. Now even pausing is hazardous. Unpausing now skips (forward or backward) to a random spot in the episode/movie. I have to note the timer down when I pause so I can manually rewind/fast forward back to where I was.

Who the gently caress made this app?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

...! posted:

Good god does the Roku app for HBO Max suck rear end. It's always been bad but it keeps getting worse somehow. Now even pausing is hazardous. Unpausing now skips (forward or backward) to a random spot in the episode/movie. I have to note the timer down when I pause so I can manually rewind/fast forward back to where I was.

The Max app on my cheapo TCL TV (Google TV) has this neat feature where if you play a TV show it works fine, but if you try to play a random movie it might take 7 or 8 tries of playing and restarting the app before it'll make it past the first 2 glitchy seconds

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The digital copy I have on Apple/iTunes that I got with my 3D Blu-ray says that it's 4K. And yes the 3DTV watch is a lot of fun if you have the hardware to experience it. I watched it once back in the day, maybe I'll break it out again someday after I move that 3DTV to my girlfriend's house - it's currently unplugged and waiting to be moved.

I'm on team The Raid is better.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

mcmagic posted:

It's available for purchase on YouTube in hi-def for 13 bucks. Probably gonna add that to the collection myself.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Buying a movie from Youtube seems like a mug's game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Field Mousepad posted:

It's available for purchase on YouTube in hi-def for 13 bucks. Probably gonna add that to the collection myself.

$5 on Amazon

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Is there a Reservation Dogs thread?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Maxwell Lord posted:

10 years in the isocubes for not knowing it is available on 4k UHD now! https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Dredd-4K-and-3D-Blu-ray/176582/

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Well now I kind of want to see it in 3D

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Inspector Hound posted:

Well now I kind of want to see it in 3D

It's great.
Subtle but noticeable depth, until the slo-mo scenes and then those go crazy in 3D, with bullets and splatter breaking the border

One of the good post-conversions.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Well this got me to buy dredd in 4K off Amazon for 5$, so thanks!

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Don’t really get the point of buying UHD tbh. It all looks the same on my iPhone 8

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Medullah posted:

$5 on Amazon

Eh I don't really gently caress with Amazon but that's a good deal though

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
House of Hummingbird is streaming for free on multiple platforms and its really good! It's also the movie the month!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

GonSmithe posted:

It's great.
Subtle but noticeable depth, until the slo-mo scenes and then those go crazy in 3D, with bullets and splatter breaking the border

One of the good post-conversions.

It was actually shot in 3D and also converted for some scenes. It’s why it looks so good

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Season 4 of Solar Opposites had some pretty awesome episodes. New voice Korvo was fine

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
has anyone seen Cold in July with Michael C. Hall? I'd love to see more action / thriller / dark comedy in this same vein but have yet to find anything up to the same caliber with a similar feel. please give me suggestions!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Starks posted:

Don’t really get the point of buying UHD tbh. It all looks the same on my iPhone 8

it's such a sadness

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Buying a movie from Youtube seems like a mug's game.

It really depends, but it's not great. You have to make certain you are not buying something in 720 (though for more obscure stuff that does not exist in a post-DVD format that's no big deal).

Right now I am on a so-bad-it's-good movie kick and that's a pretty inexpensive habit even as streaming services experience a mass enshittening. If a quality rip isn't free on YouTube somewhere you can probably still buy a permanent digital copy for like $4. Highlights so far include:

Class of 1999 (1990)
Great B-movie, sounds like something that is going to be low-budget trash at first but becomes more and more fun. Classic-tier supporting cast, last 30 minutes is great payoff.

Gymkata (1985)
This regularly appears on low-effort "worst ever" lists, but:

- I've frankly seen worse Bond movies
- It's bizarre, but not so bizarre that gymnast kung fu has not found its way into other movies
- Studios have poured far more money into far dumber concepts

I would recommend it to pretty much anyone.

Born to Fight (2004)
A Thai action movie that does a lot of tonal whiplash typical to a lot of foreign action flicks. First it is a near-plotless action movie/stuntman extravaganza, then it becomes a harrowing story of ethnic cleansing, then it wraps up in an orgy of highly amusing gymkata-style violence. Throughout, there's a lot of stuntwork that looked extremely unsafe, including a near-miss with a stuntman falling off a semi and nearly getting his head crushed by the wheel.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Has anyone else watched Domina? I watched the first four episodes of the second season yesterday and it gave me nightmares

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Has anyone else watched Domina? I watched the first four episodes of the second season yesterday and it gave me nightmares

Why?

I finally caught How to blow up a pipeline. It's excellent.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Where is that streaming? I've been interested since release.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

My partner and I watched The Pope’s Exorcist and it sucks. It’s almost like a parody but it’s clear they were dead seriously making a “real” movie. Absolutely none of it makes sense.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Domina is mostly your standard historically-set soap opera, but I find it way more hosed up and twisted than the usual. All the characters are horrible lizard people.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

I regret not going to the cinema for Across the Spider-Verse, what a dang audio-visual spectacle.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SLOSifl posted:

My partner and I watched The Pope’s Exorcist and it sucks. It’s almost like a parody but it’s clear they were dead seriously making a “real” movie. Absolutely none of it makes sense.

It's a very mid movie that has Russell Crowe in it and Franco Nero is the pope (as the big clue it is meant to evoke exploitation movies). If it didn't take itself deadly seriously it would be less funny. I can't even really be mad that it half-assedly whitewashes conservative Catholics, who were deeply concerned about this sort of thing instead of making sure priests weren't abusing children on a systemic level. It's more about End of Days or Evil Dead.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Angryhead posted:

I regret not going to the cinema for Across the Spider-Verse, what a dang audio-visual spectacle.

Hard same

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

10 Beers posted:

Is there a Reservation Dogs thread?

Res dogs owns

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Angryhead posted:

For me, it's actually easier to take it all in on a smaller screen, but yeah, don't sleep on the next one when it's in theaters.

Gwen's world is so drat moody, it's awesome. This movie is incredibly rewatchable because you can focus on literally any element and still enjoy it. And I will forever get a kick out of Hobie making a bootleg teleporter thing

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

...! posted:

It's just about as bad on PS5. It's crazy what a poo poo app it is on basically any platform.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yeah they've always had the worst app across all platforms and were always saying it's gonna be getting better "soon"!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Lola is a pretty paint by numbers time travel story but it has a cool aesthetic and it's less than 80 mins. It's worth checking out.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Run Lola Run is the better movie about time fuckery (which is the movie I thought you were talking about since I didn't know there was a new one with that name)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Where is that streaming? I've been interested since release.

If you mean How to Blow Up a Pipeline, I'm not the OP but I caught it on Netflix (UK, can't speak for other regions) a few weeks back. Liked it, but I felt the way the very end revealed all the arrests and informant stuff to be part of the plan was a bit too pat. It cheapened the earlier drama and setbacks to find out that ultimately they didn't come at any real cost. Maybe from the title we're meant to view the film as a template, so the action has to be exemplar and the audience needs to be a bit at a remove from it. But that reading makes the specificity of the characters kind of superfluous to the purpose of the film, which is a shame as that's some of the best stuff.