Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Part of me really hates reading some takes about LTT because I see them as a bunch of extremely successful bumbling idiots who would totally ignore or downplay what Madison's talking about.

And don't hate it because we need loving Linus Tech Tips or whatever, it's just this exasperation of me realizing how common this kinda stuff must be and how backwards we really are at calling this stuff out before it becomes someone's trauma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Vic posted:

Part of me really hates reading some takes about LTT because I see them as a bunch of extremely successful bumbling idiots who would totally ignore or downplay what Madison's talking about.

And don't hate it because we need loving Linus Tech Tips or whatever, it's just this exasperation of me realizing how common this kinda stuff must be and how backwards we really are at calling this stuff out before it becomes someone's trauma.

so let me tell you about this company called machinima.....

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

They say some companies investigate your social media history before hiring, if I had seen that before his interview I'd spend half the interview asking him if he really believes in all that poo poo, he'd probably give the usual chudly answer 'I was joking man'

I feel like any other media company would have severely reprimanded him, if not outright terminated him, for that standup routine. He's not just a behind-the-scenes dude that writes scripts, he's a frequent on-camera personality and a very visible representative of their company, and something like that can potentially tarnish a company's image. I would think Linus has to know about that video (I'd be shocked if it hadn't been brought to his attention numerous times), so it's either that he doesn't care about it or is perfectly OK with it. In either case the result is the same: an implied approval of whatever it was James was saying during his set.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ok Comboomer posted:

so let me tell you about this company called machinima.....

Do tell.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

The pattern I'm seeing is a bunch of young white guys in tech being misogynistic and edgy and covering for each other.

You think a guy who listens to Jordan Peterson and goes on stage to tell holocaust and wife beating jokes wouldn't arrange a sign on set to be a dog whistle?

If you think I'm terminally online for seeing a dog whistle. How can you justify an entire company of people whose job it is to be terminally online not seeing it?

Why would you give any benefit of the doubt to LMG at this point?

Assuming this is about the photo of the 88 and not the pound of flesh thing although this thread is getting very hard to keep track of with all the axes being ground at once -

Nobody in this thread is saying that James dude strikes them as a cool and easygoing guy, or even a good person that any of us would want to work with, or hire, or generally be around, but dogwhistles are, like, 'lets go Brandon' signs, or Pepe memes during the 2016 election, or people with the number 88 literally tattooed on their bodies alongside a load of other aggro poo poo. Which is all to say I think you do need to make a distinction between edgy bro comedy and actual sicko territory. The important thing is that the latter is actually being as a vehicle for extremist ideological organising. It is the secret hobo symbol on the mailbox that tells other hobos they are welcome there, except for racists.

And I mean James' edgy humour obviously feels stale, if only because the internet has shown us since 2016 that even if people are trying to be edgy behind a hipster and/or 4chan veil of irony, culture at large doesn't actually care if you're being ironic and what you're doing still has the same real-world consequences as if you were being completely earnest and non-ironic. So I get why it's anxiety inducing. But I mean that screenshot is most likely 1. a genuine coincidenc or there is the slimmest of chances it's 2. tech boys in a bubble of privilege being edge lords for meme cred, without a thought to its real world consequences (those consequences are zero because you are the only person who has noticed this)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
I'm not giving any 88 the benefit of the doubt, especially not from white canadian gaming boys

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
There are 5873 videos on the LTT channel, if you comb through all of them looking for dogwhistles you're gonna find some just by coincidence.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

lol the video of James' standup act is private now

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Xakura posted:

I'm not giving any 88 the benefit of the doubt, especially not from white canadian gaming boys

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There's plenty to hate on in what's already been shown and corroborated. I know news has been quiet for a week since but y'all don't need to trawl through old youtube and social media for vaguely possible hitler references or clips where you think they have chud vibes

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

FuturePastNow posted:

Lmbo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Klyith posted:

There are 5873 videos on the LTT channel, if you comb through all of them looking for dogwhistles you're gonna find some just by coincidence.

5873 is more than 1488, gottem.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Vic posted:

Something I realized from following pro wrestlers and twitch streamers is that the kind of person who floats to the top in both industries will tend to have the just world fallacy and libertarian/right leanings imprinted on their brains. Very rarely consider their luck or privilege.

They're at the top because they are a unique and singular genius who has the work ethic and drive that the others don't: their success is proof of that. And even if they haven't internally or externally formulated those opinions, it takes one call out on their behavior/actions to surface them. Others lash out at even mild criticism because they realize how precarious their success is.

So don't worry, if your favorite internet person isn't doing that stuff now, there is a good chance you'll live long enough to see it happen.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

FuturePastNow posted:

It has been saved and reposted for posterity, i think one of the mirrors is upthread.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
we're moving awfully close to the notion that you need laser-precision analysis to find questionable sentiments and dogwhistles at ltt when foghorn videos like this exist

https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/957344739157667840

there's nothing secret about the bro culture at ltt, but we can obv always go back and forth on the severity of it. a big problem is that people get shouted down when they try to point on things like this that might hint at bigger problem. and then the same people shouting them down and being anti-anti-sexist act surprised at everything going on, rinse and repeat

(also they were pads, not tampons. score another one for the scientific rigour at lmg)

also wrt twitch streamers etc, they're a great example of how "not engaging in sexism" and "passively benefitting from a culture of sexism while not calling it out to change things" are very different things. especially when people try to associate themselves with bigger names who've got very clear awful histories doing toxic poo poo that helped them gain a certain audience that they might have tried to mainstream and sanitize more later on for the sake of their reputation and ability to attract sponsors

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Yeah LTT was dunking on magas pretty hard whenever their audience brought anything up. And that has nothing to do with anything mentioned in any of the poo poo LTT's on.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Klyith posted:

Nuh huh, I'm certain that the overworked intern who quit college for his slave wage dream job at a company currently under fire for shoddy quality control due to a breakneck content production rate was directly ordered by his boss to stack the showcase product boxes to form half of a neonazi hate symbol, and not because he just slotted them into the prop shelf in a way that they wouldn't half stick out or show the cracked open back.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Conspiratiorist posted:

Nuh huh, I'm certain that the overworked intern who quit college for his slave wage dream job at a company currently under fire for shoddy quality control due to a breakneck content production rate was directly ordered by his boss to stack the showcase product boxes to form half of a neonazi hate symbol, and not because he just slotted them into the prop shelf in a way that they wouldn't half stick out or show the cracked open back.

Don't hurt your back lifting that strawman into place

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Wasn't it a showcase for a product called Eight?

Like of course the number Eight is bound to appear a bunch of times lol.

Goons :allears:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Gros Tarla posted:

lmao

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Gros Tarla posted:

Needing to read the thread foils a goon yet again.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Gros Tarla posted:

"Eight sleep", so you'd think you could set up the boxes as "EIGHT" "SLEEP" but the side of the box branded "SLEEP" has what looks like a UPC sticker on it in the screenshot, so maybe they just thought having that in the front looked bad. I'm not convinced it's not malice but it's hardly a smoking gun either.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SlowBloke posted:

It has been saved and reposted for posterity, i think one of the mirrors is upthread.

Maybe, but I scrolled up to where the original was posted and couldn't find it, but I may have been going too fast.

Some redditor reposted it on their own domain so here's that link for any who may have missed it (edit, I don't know how to just make it clickable, sorry for the giant video inlined)

https://blackburndrone.co.uk/wp-con...-1692546386.mp4

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

power crystals posted:

I'm not convinced it's not malice but it's hardly a smoking gun either.

What a hosed up thing to say, pick a side and post 10 000 words about it NOW

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Y'all should start posting your pitchfork collections for a change.

There's plenty of wrong with LTT and their staff, but this is getting ridiculous.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would simply never produce a video with dogwhistles in it. Skill issue.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

Konar posted:

Maybe, but I scrolled up to where the original was posted and couldn't find it, but I may have been going too fast.

Some redditor reposted it on their own domain so here's that link for any who may have missed it (edit, I don't know how to just make it clickable, sorry for the giant video inlined)

https://blackburndrone.co.uk/wp-con...-1692546386.mp4

Is there a TLDW for this?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

waffle iron posted:

Something I realized from following pro wrestlers and twitch streamers is that the kind of person who floats to the top in both industries will tend to have the just world fallacy and libertarian/right leanings imprinted on their brains. Very rarely consider their luck or privilege.

They're at the top because they are a unique and singular genius who has the work ethic and drive that the others don't: their success is proof of that. And even if they haven't internally or externally formulated those opinions, it takes one call out on their behavior/actions to surface them. Others lash out at even mild criticism because they realize how precarious their success is.

So don't worry, if your favorite internet person isn't doing that stuff now, there is a good chance you'll live long enough to see it happen.

I don't see it thay way. Being liberal does not preclude you from being a self absorbed piece of poo poo.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

power crystals posted:

"Eight sleep", so you'd think you could set up the boxes as "EIGHT" "SLEEP" but the side of the box branded "SLEEP" has what looks like a UPC sticker on it in the screenshot, so maybe they just thought having that in the front looked bad. I'm not convinced it's not malice but it's hardly a smoking gun either.

I think if everyone involved had eight hours of sleep as this mattress company is cleverly suggesting, we wouldn't be in this mess.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Blurb3947 posted:

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Someone did post it on the subreddit and a lot of redditors don't see any problems with a white guy pretending to be an Iranian Jew to do jokes about the holocaust and beating the mother of his child.

When you're on a steady diet of Netflix comedy specials

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Vic posted:

I don't see it thay way. Being liberal does not preclude you from being a self absorbed piece of poo poo.

Well it’s a good thing they didn’t say anything close to that

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Blurb3947 posted:

It's a very bad five minute set that is neither funny nor clever and, given recent events, does little to dispel the notion LMG could do with cleaning house.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
there's also a pretty important 88 in the tech industry that has nothing to do with hitler or the heiling thereof

though you'd only expect to see a reference to that in a retro tech video, not some techno mattress

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Linus is just a big Dale Earnhardt fan

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

SlowBloke posted:

GN is back to regular programming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKiFk7tBTLg

efb

I like how the first 5 seconds is all you need to know

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Klyith posted:

though you'd only expect to see a reference to that in a retro tech video, not some techno mattress

8 is also a pretty important number in the sleeping industry

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Nothus posted:

I like how the first 5 seconds is all you need to know

Idk... he didn't strap it to a 4090.

Does this guy even know how to review things?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Sigma posted:

Well it’s a good thing they didn’t say anything close to that

The part about libertarian/right leanings imprinted on these people's brains. No?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

SpartanIvy posted:

Linus is just a big Dale Earnhardt fan

I'd say Eric Lindros

I (middle aged white guy) literally had no idea what this whole 88 dogwhistle thing is until I read about it. I always just thought 88 it was some appropriation of the asian "88" good luck # (or whatever it is) until the last few months.

But then again, I'm an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Never know if an 88 username is a Nazi or a 35 year old.