Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Baron von Eevl posted:

There were a couple maps that put west on top, but that was occidental.

GodDAMN you, I chuckled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Wagon Queen Family Truckster from National Lampoon's Family Vacation was an obviously fictional vehicle but the car they modified for it was a 1979 Ford LTD Country Squire wagon (several of them, actually) which wasn't all that different from the Family Truckster. They took a lovely ugly station wagon and just uglied it up a little more

My dad drove a similar model Ford station wagon in the late 80s which was was a little cleaner in its lines and didn't have the fake wood paneling :v:

You know how look at cars from that era and go,
"Man, they kind of all look the same. Even the headlights! Why did they all want those same, ugly, rectangular headlights?"

Well, the answer is...they had to...sort of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2J91UG6Fn8

And when you all have to use the same headlights, well, you also tend to share a lot of design similarities for the entire front-end when you have to account for the exact same headlight size and shape.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think the headlights are the least objectionable part of the aesthetic

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Maybe it's just because I never had to grow up with them, but I really like the look of those things. Especially the panoramic multi-piece sun roof in the back, I'm just imagining being a 70s kid staring up at the sky on a road trip, maybe you inherit it later and toss a mattress in the back, I would have definitely gone on at least one date with anyone who had a car like that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

70's/80's family car smell tho

hot vinyl and rusting metal

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

flavor.flv posted:

Maybe it's just because I never had to grow up with them, but I really like the look of those things. Especially the panoramic multi-piece sun roof in the back, I'm just imagining being a 70s kid staring up at the sky on a road trip, maybe you inherit it later and toss a mattress in the back, I would have definitely gone on at least one date with anyone who had a car like that.

It’s a moon roof, you Philistine.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The "Golden Ratio" is in fact, an irrational number.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Most numbers are.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well they should just call it the Golden Irratio

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

exquisite tea posted:

The "Golden Ratio" is in fact, an irrational number.

stubborn as a mule too

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Eagerly awaiting the day I can post I finally figured out high school math

What the gently caress is an imaginary number

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

ThreEve

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

i don't know

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Eleventeen, thirty-twelve, etc etc.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Okay, so basically you can arrange all numbers on a line, right? Like the X-axis of a diagram. Start at 0, then 1, then 2, then 3 etc. forever

You can add to that line. You can go to the left (negative numbers), you can go halfway between 0 and 1 (fractions), and you can go a bit higher than 3 to help you with calculating circles (irrational numbers).

This basically fills out the entire axis.

But what if you wanted to have an even larger selection of numbers? Imagine, if you will, a whole unused Y-axis. Where you can go up and down, and once again, positive, negative, anything in between. Those are the same numbers in theory, you just designate them with an i (for imaginary, because you made them up).

So you have two axes, a two-dimensional coordinate system. Does that mean you can fill all the coordinates in between? Like, going 2 on the X-axis and 3i on the Y-Axis? Yes, that is indeed possible. And that gives you a lot of literal (or...not) space to work with when you need more complex calculations, like for wave functions, in quantum mechanics, and so on.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Someone wanted to find the square root of -1.

So they did.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

zedprime posted:

So they did.

They should have just said “eh can’t be done” and saved themselves the trouble.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

exquisite tea posted:

They should have just said “eh can’t be done” and saved themselves the trouble.

The really, really dumb thing about mathematics is that an imaginary number has real-world applications.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The really really dumb thing about mathematics is that far smarter people than us agreed that the square root of -1 can't be done to save themselves the trouble of working in a mathematic that included the definition until absolute lunatics who couldn't possibly be human were like "yes, just the thing I needed to fix the broken algebra in my otherworldly domain analyses."

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
e=-1 :eng99:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/B1J6Ou4q8vE

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

The really really dumb thing about mathematics is that far smarter people than us agreed that the square root of -1 can't be done to save themselves the trouble of working in a mathematic that included the definition until absolute lunatics who couldn't possibly be human were like "yes, just the thing I needed to fix the broken algebra in my otherworldly domain analyses."

Other way around. Large amounts of math become way, way simpler when you have a square root of -1. Imaginary numbers don't just fix a hole in algebra, they also turn out to fix holes in almost every other field.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I kept waiting for someone to add 'time works the same way' to those math posts.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Whybird posted:

Other way around. Large amounts of math become way, way simpler when you have a square root of -1. Imaginary numbers don't just fix a hole in algebra, they also turn out to fix holes in almost every other field.
I'd lean toward saying fixing the holes in algebra allowed whole new fields to be invented. A practical application of i is not exactly what Euler, Gauss, Fourier etc. are explicitly known for.

Anyway I'm mostly jokingly commiserating with the likes of Descartes etc. arbitrarily putting up the wall because it's hard and weird because everything in mathematics starting with and after Euler frustrates and or terrifies me.

E. Put another way, to i or not to i is fundamentally an algebraic notation question with alternatives available like certain matrix notations that can get you to similar places at higher complexity than just saying fine, i.

zedprime has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Aug 21, 2023

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

i make math simpler, therefore i am

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Still don’t believe in them. Irrational numbers as well. I need some bullshit infinite number to make a circle? Well guess what I’ve got circles in my line of vision right now and they don’t infinitely continue in an unpredictable pattern you useless eggheads :argh:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Can I touch a number?
Can I see it?
Does it have a smell?
Does it have a sound?

No?

Then how are numbers real?

Checkmate mathemailures.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

FreudianSlippers posted:

Can I touch a number?
Can I see it?
Does it have a smell?
Does it have a sound?

No?

Then how are numbers real?

Checkmate mathemailures.
I'll show you a number two you can smell and touch.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

zedprime posted:

So they did.
It's more like: A guy who wasn't even that comfortable with negative numbers realized that imaginary numbers could help him solve cubic equations to win Italian math duels to keep his job.

Incidentally, there's a math thread where people would love to discuss imaginary numbers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't understand why mathematicians always try to debunk the "Pythagoras once killed a guy for proving irrational numbers exist" story, wouldn't you want to put the fear of loving with math into people?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pythogaras was basically a cult leader.

He probably killed at least a dozen people if only indirectly. He was the Charles Manson of mathematics.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Call me crazy but I think the world was better off when people were willing to form cults around hexagons and poo poo rather than whatever we've got going on now.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

That song that Jeff is listening to in the first episode of Fired on Mars is also the intro song to Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, "One of the Living" by Tina Turner. Realizing that made the whole thing feel a little more grim.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

exquisite tea posted:

Call me crazy but I think the world was better off when people were willing to form cults around hexagons and poo poo rather than whatever we've got going on now.
What we've got going on now is pretty close to the Greek cults. Pythagoras absolutely would not have worn a mask.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I don't understand why mathematicians always try to debunk the "Pythagoras once killed a guy for proving irrational numbers exist" story, wouldn't you want to put the fear of loving with math into people?

loving with Math is literally all Mathematicians do. That's what math is. Mathematicians want more people to gently caress with Math

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

You would think that statistical mechanics textbook where the first paragraph lists the brilliant people who worked with statistical mechanics and then killed themselves would be enough of a warning but nooooo

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pack rats are actual animals that are addicted to collecting and hoarding all manner of useless crap. For some reason, I always thought the phrase was just a colorful spin on common rats' messy nests, not a separate family of creatures :psyduck:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

zedprime posted:

What we've got going on now is pretty close to the Greek cults. Pythagoras absolutely would not have worn a mask.

Diogenes would have.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just not pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

This is proof that Euler just made math up, everything before him is just fake math history. Pythagoras was just a weird cult leader who thought triangles look neat.