Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Telegram has a lot of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

beer_war posted:

That said, goddamn, these thumbnails.

You'd think Ukraine has won the war three times over already.

Lol glad I'm not the only one. These annoy me to the point where I've only ever once clicked on one to see how the presentation is.

The two are not comparable but since we're talking YT videos someone once linked that one Russian abroad guy who wasn't on russias side, maybe some gamer type originally? those short edits of the guy laughing all frustrated didn't help either. Found the guy intolerable.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The Locator posted:

They are still being produced today - block 70's just started rolling off the line a year ago.

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/first-f-16-block-70-emerges-from-lockheed-martins-new-factory-128-more-on-order/

You misunderstood what I was saying. I didn't say "the F-16 stopped being built in the 80s", I said "the F-16s owned by the Danish and Dutch, which are the exact ones being promised for delivery now, completed their orders in the late 80s". They're all early-block F-16A/B models that were given the MLU avionics upgrade.

Lifespan posted:

The crazy thing is that the F-22 and F-35 came in so late and over budget not because they were particularly bad, but heavily because the F-16 kept completely kicking their rear end. I really hope the Ukrainian pilots get all the training they need, because a couple dozen F-16s in the right hands really could have a very measurable impact.

This is not correct. The F-22 was developing on time and reasonably close to budget until The Wall fell. With the Cold War over, a new superfighter was no longer considered a priority and the program hit a lot of stalls while Congress decided if they were going to can the program entirely. Those stalls not only made things take longer, but drove up development costs. Then a lot fewer planes were ordered than planned, which drove up the unit cost because of economies of scale and the peculiar way the US military handles accounting. This is the same thing that happened to the B-2.

The F-35 costs and delays were because of the good-on-paper idea of trying to fit every service's needs with the same basic airframe (this turned out to be a major problem) and the fact that they decided to apply the then-fashionable idea of Concurrent Development to the program. Most of the stories you hear about serious F-35 problems were caused by the design not yet being finished when a given airplane was manufactured.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Was it the F-35 or F-22 that asphyxiated its pilots when it crossed the international date line?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

HonorableTB posted:

Was it the F-35 or F-22 that asphyxiated its pilots when it crossed the international date line?

F-35, which also at one point had tactilol-camouflage painting that couldn't handle getting wet.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Der Kyhe posted:

F-35, which also at one point had tactilol-camouflage painting that couldn't handle getting wet.

LOL

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Der Kyhe posted:

If the asphyxiation thing is true of the F-35 then the answer is both

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Both aircraft had issues with the oxygen system, as did several other types in the US fleet. The problem has reportedly been fixed, though they haven't publicly explained the cause as far as I know.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Captain Splendid posted:

If the asphyxiation thing is true of the F-35 then the answer is both

Its both, and some variants of F/A-18 Hornets https://www.thedailybeast.com/f-35-stealth-jets-are-choking-their-pilots

EDIT: Beaten like the engineer who designed the new oxygen systems of the US aviation (probably).

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

HonorableTB posted:

Ulf Kristersson is the absolutely most Swedish name I have ever seen

Is that how Sweden picks their prime minister? The guy with the most Swedish name? Kind of how Australia determines the prime minster with games of beer pong.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Most importantly, the F-35 is an austhetically unpleasing fighter jet.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Burns posted:

Most importantly, the F-35 is an austhetically unpleasing fighter jet.

Could be worse. We could have had the X-32.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

I heard it was invisible :confused:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

McGavin posted:

:wrong:

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

McGavin posted:

The X-32 is at least entertainingly silly looking.

https://i.imgur.com/eb1ltEK.jpg

ecureuilmatrix fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 21, 2023

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

McGavin posted:

Hue hue hue hue hue hue!

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
My favourite F-35 development oopsie was when the VTOL variant basically melted runways.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Incidentally my associate Mr Hockmeed Larkin sells special ultra heat resistant runways

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sashimi posted:

My favourite F-35 development oopsie was when the VTOL variant basically melted runways.

Reminds me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX3_mQZ4gY8

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Maybe they wouldn't have had that problem if they spent more than a Halfpenny on the runway.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

weg posted:

It's fair to call them assholes for posting a laughing emoji in response to a dead child. However, using a slur or wishing harm on them won't fix the issue and only serves to dehumanize even more people than this lovely war already has.

With brains so utterly broken they are at best three fifths of a human.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Anyone have a quick cost/performance analysis of the F-35 vs quad copter drones in terms of destroyed Russian aircraft? :devil:

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

McGavin posted:

A plane that's just that happy about who it is and what it does? Shame on you.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I was trying to talk to someone about this war yesterday, but I found it hard to be objective because I am literally descended from people that fled Stalins Holodomor. Other ancestors used to live on the Prut River bordering Romania, but the Russians destroyed that too. Sorry, I’m just frustrated because nothing seems to have changed over there. gently caress

At least I can think about my wife’s ancestors, who kicked the British out of Pennsylvania. That puts me in a better mood.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 21, 2023

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Zelenskyy is going to show up in an X-wing and blast a hole through the Russian defenses

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Sashimi posted:

dont need 'em

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sashimi posted:

They'd melt ships' flight decks too, wouldn't they?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
Jet fuel can't melt flight decks. :colbert:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl2C28hMN2U

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Sashimi posted:

It still does, they had to resurface all the landing areas with high temperature resistance tarmac. Its probably made of asbestos.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Horrorosaurus posted:

Lol glad I'm not the only one. These annoy me to the point where I've only ever once clicked on one to see how the presentation is.

The two are not comparable but since we're talking YT videos someone once linked that one Russian abroad guy who wasn't on russias side, maybe some gamer type originally? those short edits of the guy laughing all frustrated didn't help either. Found the guy intolerable.

Yeah honestly the whole nature of marketing youtube videos just sucks and i try to avoid the most 'youtubey' stuff like reaction videos, etc.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Reporting From Ukraine's thumbnails put me off for a long time as well but his actual content is never like that. I like his video's because they're short and they are uploaded early in the morning so I can watch a quick 5 minute video before work to get up to date. Then later during my lunch break or back home I watch the longer video's like Denys.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Planes are hot, and not just in the sexy way. The UK had carriers that couldn't fly the (then) latest Phantom jets without upgrading the blast deflector panels with water cooling to keep them from melting. And IIRC old school Harriers also had the asphalt puddle issue if you tried taking off from some random road strip.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Neophyte posted:

Planes are hot, and not just in the sexy way. The UK had carriers that couldn't fly the (then) latest Phantom jets without upgrading the blast deflector panels with water cooling to keep them from melting. And IIRC old school Harriers also had the asphalt puddle issue if you tried taking off from some random road strip.

Well, the generals who want to have VTOL aircraft because of reasons aren't paid to think what that stuff actually needs from the viewpoint of the base they operate from. I mean, the helicopters and Ospreys do take off from anywhere, right?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's a loving jet engine, what do you expect when you point the exhaust directly at asphalt?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

spankmeister posted:

It's a loving jet engine, what do you expect when you point the exhaust directly at asphalt?

A melted penis?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Oh sorry about not presenting a source for the Belarus thing. Had to wait for official channels to announce it

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-citizens-urged-leave-belarus-170919720.html

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I like to think that the Reporting From Ukraine guy is actually Zaluzhnyy and that's why he's in every thumbnail

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

spankmeister posted:

Candy and rainbows, I would hope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

I like to think that the Reporting From Ukraine guy is actually Zaluzhnyy and that's why he's in every thumbnail

Lol itd be sick if zaluzhny was makin powerpoint videos like Perun