Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I'm a huge fan of people trying to gently stop a run away forklift with their pitiful human strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
It's just a little forklift, how much could it weigh??

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
to be fair he almost got the boat up on the rebound

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Aquaman says "You can't park here, mate"

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

LifeSunDeath posted:

I'm a huge fan of people trying to gently stop a run away forklift with their pitiful human strength.

While standing on a small boat.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

hit resonance but he still truckin'

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I really want to see the controls for this thing and how the operator is managing them.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

kw0134 posted:

What was he even trying to do? Up until "oh poo poo" I'd really like to know what his thought process was.

He was probably planning to attach the boat to the forklift tines and lift out of the water to someplace else, maybe a trailer.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Salami Surgeon posted:

I've been on the other side if that though, where the simple solution is simple because it ignores everything that makes it complicated. Like a system that weighs the boxes and stops the lines when it detects an empty is simpler than one that rejects empty boxes and feeds them back to the machine. And even simpler is a fan that blows the boxes onto the floor. So you end up with leftover batch A tubes and missing batch A boxes, and someone simply takes batch B boxes to finish the run. So you simply recall all the effected batches when you discover the batch ID on your tubes don't match your boxes on outgoing product. Then you implement a simple fix to prevent mislabeled batches going out. Then a simple fix for that. And so on. Until your entire production line is a Rube Goldberg machine of simple fixes that constantly shut the line down anyway. :shepicide:

I guess it depends on how many units a day, if it's only 3 or 4 boxes a day that come up empty, they're probably losing more production stopping the line than having a slightly higher scrap rate, especially given the cost of a product recall and paperwork with the FDA.
And that's where it's hard to judge when the simple solution is better or if you need to overcomplicate things. In the end, fixing the actual root cause of the problem is the better solution if the scrap rate gets too high.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

El Spamo posted:

I really want to see the controls for this thing and how the operator is managing them.

This guy gets the grand prize out of the claw machine every time first time

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My girlfriend works in payroll for a hospital and sent this to me:

"Just found out our computers in my cubicle area are on the same breaker as the microwaves, air fryer, and refrigerators.... Someone blew the breaker."

Beginning to see why their computers are constantly going down.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Captain Hygiene posted:

You can't blame their reaction, few people know that burial at sea is the proper and respectful method to retire a forklift at the end of its life

plus the electric ones have huge batteries in them, it's only right to throw them into the ocean

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/WEDYP5u.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Who said that chivalry was dead? Joust look at that!

raifield
Feb 21, 2005

Nenonen posted:

Who said that chivalry was dead? Joust look at that!

Can't wait to get decapitated by 2x4's scything in from behind when I change to the right lane and catch a telephone pole.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I spent way, way, way too long trying to figure out what was wrong with the traffic light or the cars in the distance until I scrolled down.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The ocean can have a little forklift, as a treat.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Drone_Fragger posted:

The ocean can have a little forklift, as a treat.

In other news rising sea levels are being blamed on climate change and not on failures to set the parking brake on your forklift.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My girlfriend works in payroll for a hospital and sent this to me:

"Just found out our computers in my cubicle area are on the same breaker as the microwaves, air fryer, and refrigerators.... Someone blew the breaker."

Beginning to see why their computers are constantly going down.

I am trying to figure out which is more likely:

1. The kitchen is on the same circuit as the cubicles.

2. Some (all?) of the circuits are wired closed, and the office is relying on the main breaker blowing to trip a fault.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/Z9FEIR8.mp4
Unmute

Edit: found their YouTube channel, these guys own:

https://youtu.be/fXvCdY7iMuI

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 21, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Chiming in a week late but I'm glad to see that I wasn't the only one who started humming that tune when I saw the guy burling and burling down white water.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6Ve1XYqwm8

*Penn points at the second kitchen next to the first kitchen in his house* "You can't have two kitchens like that, it's illegal."

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/X6Bcw7F.mp4

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

It's the 1992 Olympics all over again!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

The Barcelona Olympics are the first ones I remember, too.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Stumbled into this old but goody

quote:

The Bricklayer's Accident Report

Told by Gerard Hoffnung at the Oxford Union, December 4th, 1958

Dear Sir:

I am writing in response to your request for additional information in Block #3 of the accident reporting form. I put "Poor Planning" as the cause of my accident. You asked for a fuller explanation and I trust the following details will be sufficient.

I am a bricklayer by trade. On the day of the accident, I was working alone on the roof of a new six-story building. When I completed my work, I found I had some bricks left over which when weighed later were found to weigh 240 lbs. Rather than carry the bricks down by hand, I decided to lower them in a barrel by using a pulley which was attached to the side of the building at the sixth floor.

Securing the rope at ground level, I went up to the roof, swung the barrel out and loaded the bricks into it. Then I went down and untied the rope, holding it tightly to insure a slow descent of the 240 lbs of bricks. You will note on the accident reporting form that my weight is 135 lbs.

Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the building.

In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel which was now proceeding downward at an equally impressive speed. This explains the fractured skull, minor abrasions and the broken collarbone, as listed in Section 3, accident reporting form.

Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley which I mentioned in Paragraph 2 of this correspondence. Fortunately by this time I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold the rope, in spite of the excruciating pain I was now beginning to experience.

At approximately the same time, however, the barrel of bricks hit the ground-and the bottom fell out of the barrel. Now devoid of the weight of the bricks, the barrel weighed approximately 50 lbs.

I refer you again to my weight. As you might imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the building.

In the vicinity of the third floor, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles, broken tooth and severe lacerations of my legs and lower body.

Here my luck began to change slightly. The encounter with the barrel seemed to slow me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the pile of bricks and fortunately only three vertebrae were cracked.

I am sorry to report, however, as I lay there on the pile of bricks, in pain, unable to move and watching the empty barrel six stories above me, I again lost my composure and presence of mind and let go of the rope.

chaibat
Aug 21, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

This happened before subsidized time? I thought it was from The Year of Dairy Products from the American Heartland.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

Preoptopus posted:

I wonder if that story is the basis for this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mzCmceBrYw

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

Jude Law's reading of Fred Allen's version of the incident is quite good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI0MP4KPpH8

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TheWapplehouse/status/1693472023761047868

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Aragosta posted:

I wonder if that story is the basis for this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mzCmceBrYw

I thought it came from The Dubliners, but apparently they just have one of the more famous versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtYNqQAEUT4

"Pat Cooksey is the original songwriter of The Sick Note. He wrote the song in 1969 and performed it himself at various comedy clubs and festivals around Ireland. The original song is to be sung to the tune of the Irish melody, "In the Garden Where the Praties Grow." While most recordings of the song follow this tune, others have many minor changes while keeping the words the same."

According to some random website, Pat Cooksey himself claims it was already an old story when he wrote the song.

"Over a long number of years there has been much speculation concerning this song. I wrote this song under it's original title Paddy and the Barrell in 1969, and first performed it in The Dyers Arms in Coventry at this time, and in 1972 Sean Cannon, later to become a member of the Dubliners began to perform it in the folk clubs under the title The Sick Note. The song was based on Gerard Hoffnung's wonderful address to the Oxford Union, but the story in a more simple form dates back to the English music halls in the 1920's and appeared in the Readers Digest in 1937."

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Preoptopus posted:

The Russians used a pencil threw the bricks

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Ironhead posted:

I thought it came from The Dubliners, but apparently they just have one of the more famous versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtYNqQAEUT4

"Pat Cooksey is the original songwriter of The Sick Note. He wrote the song in 1969 and performed it himself at various comedy clubs and festivals around Ireland. The original song is to be sung to the tune of the Irish melody, "In the Garden Where the Praties Grow." While most recordings of the song follow this tune, others have many minor changes while keeping the words the same."

According to some random website, Pat Cooksey himself claims it was already an old story when he wrote the song.

"Over a long number of years there has been much speculation concerning this song. I wrote this song under it's original title Paddy and the Barrell in 1969, and first performed it in The Dyers Arms in Coventry at this time, and in 1972 Sean Cannon, later to become a member of the Dubliners began to perform it in the folk clubs under the title The Sick Note. The song was based on Gerard Hoffnung's wonderful address to the Oxford Union, but the story in a more simple form dates back to the English music halls in the 1920's and appeared in the Readers Digest in 1937."

Never knew about that Dubliners song ty!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Give it up for Brynden Tully.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
If the video for this has been posted already, I apologise. I'm tangentially involved in the investigation after this happened, so wanted to talk a bit. As far as I understand, nobody died and all the victims are now expected to survive, but it was close.
https://www.telegraaf.nl/video/671149497/beelden-dodemansrit-in-belgische-kermisattractie-gefilmd

Single point of failure for everyone's safety, only inspection by the owner necessary on set-up, with one inspection every 10 year by an independant body. What a massive legislative failure.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gondor calls for aid!

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

ComradePyro posted:

my cousin's dad drowned in 2 feet of water when a piece of equipment flipped and pinned him. receiving this news unlocked a new recurring nightmare for me.

Are you allergic to the word uncle or is your family tree more like a family ouroboros?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

2Fast2Nutricious posted:

Are you allergic to the word uncle or is your family tree more like a family ouroboros?

Your aunt's husband would be your uncle-in-law, and it gets even more complicated if they're separated or never married in the first place.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Uncles by marriage are still uncles, I’d say, unless divorced, in which case they’d be your cousin’s dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

kanonvandekempen posted:

If the video for this has been posted already, I apologise. I'm tangentially involved in the investigation after this happened, so wanted to talk a bit. As far as I understand, nobody died and all the victims are now expected to survive, but it was close.
https://www.telegraaf.nl/video/671149497/beelden-dodemansrit-in-belgische-kermisattractie-gefilmd

Single point of failure for everyone's safety, only inspection by the owner necessary on set-up, with one inspection every 10 year by an independant body. What a massive legislative failure.

:stare:

I always assumed rides like that had failsafes and such to prevent that from happening, shows what I know.