Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

That was my problem with the Homeworld 2 Star Wars mods. I don't care about the million ships I've never seen, give me TIE Fighters, Bombers and Interceptors, rather than...

Any of this garbage

any of the ships from TIE fighter are allowed imo

tie defender is just an f-82

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I really wish I got more chances to play the Rebellion board game, which leans a the way into making it an asymmetric conflict where the Rebels only survive through subterfuge rather than direct conflict

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Don't talk poo poo about the K-Wing

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hard-R-Wing

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

That was my problem with the Homeworld 2 Star Wars mods. I don't care about the million ships I've never seen, give me TIE Fighters, Bombers and Interceptors, rather than...

Any of this garbage

Hey the Imperial Gunboat and the TIE Defender rule

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
TIE Defender was some Mary Sue bullshit. Absurd.

At least the Missile Gunboat was interesting.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

StashAugustine posted:

I really wish I got more chances to play the Rebellion board game, which leans a the way into making it an asymmetric conflict where the Rebels only survive through subterfuge rather than direct conflict

rebellion is right up there with war of the ring imo, top tier 2 player ameritrash

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Absurdly detailed Free League Star Wars TTRPG when?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

gradenko_2000 posted:

TIE Defender was some Mary Sue bullshit. Absurd.

At least the Missile Gunboat was interesting.

I get PTSD inducing flashbacks from X-Wing alliance multiplayer everytime I see a TIE Defender.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Frosted Flake posted:

there’s a super detailed game about playing a Rebel force in some random sector in the game room rn

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/victoria-3-dev-diary-93-military-improvements-in-open-beta.1596396/page-7#post-29101300

quote:

Yeah, in 1.5 those goods have no market price at all, they are ONLY produced and consumed locally. This comes with a bunch of rebalancing to ensure there's always both supply and demand for Services, usually supply for Transportation, and (eventually) limitations for Electricity use.

Devs really buried the lede on this bit for the upcoming Vicky 3 patch.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

That might be the only way to top the Fantasy Flight editions

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

That might be the only way to top the Fantasy Flight editions

:hmmyes:

I have my eyes on their Blade Runner game, it looks fantastic.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I gave in and bought workers and resources but now I cant get my construction offices to pick up foreign workers? Can someone help from like step 1 of this process.

E: nvm it started working praise lenin

double e: I don't have loving bricks???????

Stairmaster has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Aug 20, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

What? You just expect bricks to magic themselves into existence out of thin air?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

:hmmyes:

I have my eyes on their Blade Runner game, it looks fantastic.

I backed the kickstarter for it when it dropped. I kiatbhave to actually read it. But their Aliens one is excellent, as their version of Twilight 2000

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

I gave in and bought workers and resources but now I cant get my construction offices to pick up foreign workers? Can someone help from like step 1 of this process.

E: nvm it started working praise lenin

double e: I don't have loving bricks???????

the thing that really sets W&R apart from other city builders isn't the setting but its commitment to never abstracting anything if it can be avoided, even building a road (beyond an extremely basic unimproved dirt track) is going to require labor, machines, and construction materials. asphalt roads, the literal first thing you build in most city-builder games, are a complex production chain requiring multiple buildings, and producing them yourself without imports requires you to have an entire petroleum industry going to get the necessary bitumen.

you can build things with money unless you're playing on realistic mode, but even if you are not playing on realistic mode it is better to import resources from the border - building with money also substitutes the labor with money, and subtracts additional cost to simulate transporting the resources there, so importing poo poo yourself will stretch your money quite a bit.

I like to focus on getting electricity generation going first thing, then a profitable industry that lets you turn imported raw materials into processed goods you can sell (turning fabric into clothes, for example), then get started on the extensive infrastructure you are going to need to make yourself self-sufficient for construction.

See, unlike in most city-builders where they just appear, building a whole-rear end building in Workers and Resources requires products from multiple entire industries, and the combined labor of thousands of people, most of whom will never set foot on the job site. You'll need gravel which has to be excavated and processed, concrete which has to be mixed out of cement that had to be manufactured, wood which had to be cut down and processed, steel which had to be manufactured out of iron that had to be mined and processed, prefabricated panels that had to be manufactured, electrical wiring and mechanical parts that had to be manufactured, bricks that had to be fired, etc., and many of those have their own prerequisites you'll have to build and supply, and then all of that poo poo needs to be transported everywhere, and everything at every step of the process needs people too.

Gravel is the easiest to start with - it's bulky and inefficient to import, the production chain is extremely simple (quarry->processing plant), it does not require a ton of labor, you will need a fuckload of it forever, and it's also a prerequisite for several other more advanced construction materials. It's tempting to immediately start out by building a sprawling factory complex that supplies all of your construction needs - and don't get me wrong, if you get into the game you will totally do that eventually - but when just starting out, it's better to break it into small, bite-sized chunks

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I'm waiting for the DLC where they let you shut all that poo poo down and move it to China while you run your economy from office buildings doing financial derivatives.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

W&R is a Marxist plot to nefariously show limp wristed libertarian IT men how reality actually works

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Orange Devil posted:

I'm waiting for the DLC where they let you shut all that poo poo down and move it to China while you run your economy from office buildings doing financial derivatives.

it says soviet republic, not US republic.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slavvy posted:

W&R is a Marxist plot to nefariously show limp wristed libertarian IT men how reality actually works

And they'll just retreat into cities skylines 2 whichnisnbragging aboutnits realism and need for raw materials butnif you dare raise your taxes over 10% Everyone will flee your city

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Cities Skylines 2 will let you enact Herman Cain's 9-9-9 plan

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Paradox devs desperately trying to make capitalism work even if the games show it doesn't - not the way it's said to anyway - has been a strange turn.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Just art imitating life

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Played my first game of imperial struggle yesterday. Started at 1pm, teach took about an hour and a half, and I was done by 8 with no breaks. Yikes. But, it was a great game and I ended up winning as GB by over 20 in the final scoring. Want to play it again now that I have a better idea of what to expect.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

The Paradox devs desperately trying to make capitalism work even if the games show it doesn't - not the way it's said to anyway - has been a strange turn.

any juicy deets?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

double nine posted:

any juicy deets?

Just the dev diaries for skylines 2 trying to explain how a service economy works and why its so valuable.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

what's funniest about it is that Victoria 2, which makes capitalism incredibly bad compared to communism was designed by a scottish tory that is fully on board with austrian economics and set up the system in the game to function that way, and it was totally unintentional that state intervention through either state capitalism or command economy communism would be more efficient, because the guy made those options but didn't test them because he only played laissez faire.

then victoria 3 they had just a bunch of people with more mainstream economics views build the economics system and it still turned out that communism was best so they decided to boost capitalism to encourage a more historically accurate result where most nations would go capitalist in the end

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

fermun posted:

they decided to boost capitalism to encourage a more historically accurate result where most nations would go capitalist in the end
That's like the Paradox approach to everything, where they just want the game mechanics to make the historic outcomes happen instead of simulating stuff accurately.

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
there are plenty of hardware and cultural issues limiting the ability for people to produce hardcore historical simulationist games, though i definitely think they could do better within those limits than they are currently. if they wanted communism to not be so overpowered, they should have every single capitalist nation that's interested in a region that goes communist get a CB that is leagues more generous than every other CB in the game

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Just the dev diaries for skylines 2 trying to explain how a service economy works and why its so valuable.

TBF it's not the inhouse studio doing Skylines 2 but rather it's a Finnish developer who initially cut their teeth on a traffic simulator that got adapted for Skylines iirc.

It's not surprising that a SimCity-derived game ends up being built by developers (passively or otherwise) defaulting to neoliberal economics and on neoliberal assumptions though. In order to build a game that sheds those assumptions the developer must first have to essentially unlearn everything they've been taught about politics and economics. The odds are stacked against that kind of self reeducation when their game is super successful and their material wellbeing is not impacted.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Frosted Flake posted:

It is funny that they've (largely accidentally imo) modeled imperialism in the bullshit neoliberal competitive advantage mold and its legit the worst thing about the actual gameplay right now. I don't want India to use my market to bootstrap its own manufacturing economy, I want to tear down its factories and have it produce cheap goods for my factories!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

fermun posted:

what's funniest about it is that Victoria 2, which makes capitalism incredibly bad compared to communism was designed by a scottish tory that is fully on board with austrian economics and set up the system in the game to function that way, and it was totally unintentional that state intervention through either state capitalism or command economy communism would be more efficient, because the guy made those options but didn't test them because he only played laissez faire.

then victoria 3 they had just a bunch of people with more mainstream economics views build the economics system and it still turned out that communism was best so they decided to boost capitalism to encourage a more historically accurate result where most nations would go capitalist in the end

You never want to do planned economy in Vicky 2 past early game because of how much micromanaging it invovles

like in theory planned economy is most efficient if you know what you are doing but in reality it would involve so many clicks to manage your economy that it makes the game unfun to play

realistically the way you build big economy is

1) Rush literacy early game to allow conversion to craftsman
2) Pass public healthcare reforms asap to speed up population growth: population is the most valuable resource in the game
3) If possible abuse the events system to annex large chunks of land you aren't supposed to

then just let the a.i spam factories for you with Laissez-Faire/Interventionalist. Yeah the A.I capitalists are dumb and build factories which instantly go bankrupt over and over again but they are spamming so many of them enough will survive to get you #1 industrial score.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
one of the most revolutionary (heh) things W&R does is honestly the way it handles cars and traffic.

like, shitloads of city builders have attempted to do agent-based traffic sims, with Cities Skylines being the most well-known example right now. The simulation in CS cheats a whole lot, though - not only is there a quite low agent limit and everything above it just teleports to its destination, but the agents themselves will also eventually teleport if the commute is too long, and badly gridlocked traffic will eventually literally disappear, preventing a badly designed intersection from completely killing a city. Most importantly, CS does not really simulate parking at all - yeah, there are parking spaces, but they're basically aesthetic, an agent will still reach its destination even if there is not actually parking there, the car will just disappear into the void.

In Workers and Resources, every single thing driving on the road is fully modeled, and it does need to physically reach its destination, and when it gets there, there does need to be a parking space for it to park. They also all need fuel, a requirement CS and other city builders generally do not model at all.

It sucks! Trying to build an American-style car-centric city, in a game where all traffic is modeled and none of it is abstracted, sucks! It's not just that you need shitloads of roads. It's that you need to devote massive amounts of space, labor, and resources to building acres upon acres of parking lots loving everywhere. It's that you need to place gas stations everywhere, figure out how to keep them supplied with fuel, and plan for the traffic going into and out of them. It is a nightmare to design and will pretty much always have massive problems with congestion you could avoid by just using fewer cars, plus shitloads of additional pollution, plus all of the extra labor and resources you have to expend supplying the hungry hungry cars - the fuel, the asphalt, the steel for new cars.

by simply making all of the cars actually have to go from point A to point B, the game accidentally(?) makes a political statement

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Theres nothing accidental about the political statement being made in the Communist city builder

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
obviously it's communist but I don't know how much of the anti-car message was the developer actually having anything against cars specifically, and how much of it was simply that attempting to realistically simulate automobiles, both the traffic and also all of the externalities associated with them, inevitably makes cars look loving awful as a mode of transport even if you aren't intentionally setting out to do that

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The Battle Brothers devs have announced their next game, Menace. Looks pretty cool, turn-based sci-fi tactical combat. heavy influence from Aliens by the look of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chk6Wsn0Rd4

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We have settled out of court with 20th century fox over our unique dropship design, I will not be answering any further questions

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Tankbuster posted:

it says soviet republic, not US republic.

Post-Soviet Republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Slavvy posted:

We have settled out of court with 20th century fox over our unique dropship design, I will not be answering any further questions

look if Halo could get away with it...