Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tew2's antagonists are pretty weak on the balance but the very worst one is still leaps and bounds better than the first game's. ruvik was loving rancid and his aesthetic was miserably dull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Oxxidation posted:

tew2's antagonists are pretty weak on the balance but the very worst one is still leaps and bounds better than the first game's. ruvik was loving rancid and his aesthetic was miserably dull

I actually really dig the first major boss, but all the others kinda sucked yeah.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Medullah posted:

Tormented Souls for PS5 is $8.

I still need to finish, it's old school RE for sure.

Agh, I always forget this exists and then get excited to see it until I get to the "fixed camera" part in the description. That's not really a criticism, it looks like a great game, I just really don't enjoy that gameplay style :sigh:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Franchescanado posted:

What runs better, the Xbox or PS2 version?

I don't know much about xbox emulation but PS2 emulation has been fine for years. If you're using the actual hardware, the xbox version has some largely negligible extra content. I've never actually played the xbox version though.

Discendo Vox posted:

My impression from outside was that after Fatal Frame 2, the series got increasingly constrained and derivative in various ways. My impression of Fatal Frame 2 (which I only got a little ways into) was that I could see the entire arc of the game and all the endings from about 15 minutes of play. Fatal Frame 1 kicked rear end.

Fatal Frame 2 builds on and improves from 1 mechanically but, as you said, is extremely narratively predictable if you've played the first one because it's very similar, just bigger. 3 introduces a bunch of new mechanics that 4 and especially its sequel, 5, would draw on heavily such as giving you a "safe" base of operations and multiple characters you switch between playing which really dilutes the experience in my book while the combat moves away from being slow and clunky and more into being fast and almost actiony. 3's atmosphere is also really hard to really engross myself into, personally, because of how it takes place entirely in a dreamscape. A lethal dreamscape, certainly, but still. Dream ghosts just don't have the same pull as haunted house ghosts.

My biggest issue with 3, however, is how deeply entwined with 1 and 2 both to it and their detriment. For a start: like half of its plot won't matter to you at all if you didn't play either of those games because your other two characters are A. the protagonist of the first game, and B. the newly introduced uncle of the protagonists of the second and their reasons for being involved are important to the game. But more than that, it absolutely like savages those game's stories and characters. Mostly by introducing a plot element that would become increasingly egregious going on to 4 and especially 5: the incest. Despite having ended the first game with her brother willingly sacrificing himself to unlive forever with his new ghost wife and a sort of confidence about moving forward with her life: Miku's entire personality is now largely a one note obsession with her dead brother that makes it sound like his death wasn't willing, and conveniently just leaves Kirie out of the whole picture. She spends most of the game crying out for him and actively lusting over his ghost before accepting death so she can gently caress his ghost and get ghost married to him, ultimately giving birth to the protagonist of 5 who is half ghost. Similarly the surviving twin of 2, Mio, is now absolutely and utterly obsessed with her sister. In Fatal Frame 2 we see that she's guilty over her sister's injury; but her sister was always the one creepily clinging to her and that while she cared for her sister and didn't want her to go missing, get possessed or die: she was the more independent of the two. But nope, now she too wants to die to go spend forever with her ghost sister. Then 4 makes one of the antagonists an evil incest child, and 5 has the aforementioned lovechild of Miku and her brother.

Also the ghosts increasingly get like, more hornily designed the deeper into the series you get.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Ruvik > TEW2’s villains > the other TEW1 villains

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the only good thing about ruvik is in TEW2 where he appears as a shooting gallery target that teleports around

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Someone mentioned Tormented Souls, which is my cue to say that Tormented Souls rules.

The thing that made me finally give Resident Evil a proper shot was playing and loving Tormented Souls.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Instant Grat posted:

Someone mentioned Tormented Souls, which is my cue to say that Tormented Souls rules.

The thing that made me finally give Resident Evil a proper shot was playing and loving Tormented Souls.

Really? I've heard less positive things about the game. What makes it good?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I don't remember a ton about Tormented Souls other than it scratched that old school RE itch really well, and the protagonist had an embarrassing default costume that you can thankfully change

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The only consistent issue with Tormented Souls that I've seen is the save system. The ink ribbons are a bit too rare, so unless you can block out a decent amount of time You'll lose progress just because you have to stop playing and can't save. Otherwise, I've heard mostly praise for it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

One day I'll look up how to progress in Tormented Souls. Got stuck on one part because I ran I to my usual issue of missing something obvious that prevents me progressing and I just never picked it back up again.

That aside, the start can be very rough before you get your first save, having to sit through the intro cutscene every single time you beefed it before that was a little much.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The puzzles were definitely on the SH hard mode side sometimes, not quite that bad but I had to look up a couple.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hel posted:

The only consistent issue with Tormented Souls that I've seen is the save system. The ink ribbons are a bit too rare, so unless you can block out a decent amount of time You'll lose progress just because you have to stop playing and can't save. Otherwise, I've heard mostly praise for it.

I ended my first playthrough having only used about a third of the tape reels (ink ribbons) I picked up. They're definitely a bit rare in the beginning, but it gets way better quite quickly.

Professor Wayne posted:

I don't remember a ton about Tormented Souls other than it scratched that old school RE itch really well, and the protagonist had an embarrassing default costume that you can thankfully change

It addressed the one major irritation that had always made me put Resident Evil down the first few times I tried it: No inventory limits. Pick up as much poo poo as you want. It's a better game for it! Fight me!

Evil Kit posted:

the start can be very rough before you get your first save, having to sit through the intro cutscene every single time you beefed it before that was a little much.

You can skip the intro cutscene.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Instant Grat posted:

You can skip the intro cutscene.

The zoom in on the island? Yeah, but while I probably missed something I'm pretty sure you couldn't skip the in-game bit of her waking up in the tub. Idk maybe I'm misremembering it because it took me so long to figure out the skip button but I distinctly remember having to sit through the tub scene so many times it got very tedious even for me. That's not where I got stuck in the game though.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Maybe they patched that in later then - I just started a new game on PS5 and was able to skip straight to getting control and being able to walk around.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Best parts of TEW was figuring out how to kill as many enemies as possible with limited resources like using traps or shooting them in the leg and burning them

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Tormented Souls is stingy at first but you'll be flush with the save item when you finish.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

Evil Kit posted:

One day I'll look up how to progress in Tormented Souls. Got stuck on one part because I ran I to my usual issue of missing something obvious that prevents me progressing and I just never picked it back up again.

That aside, the start can be very rough before you get your first save, having to sit through the intro cutscene every single time you beefed it before that was a little much.

Look up how to get the three shot nail gun. Makes life a lot easier in that hospichurchasylum.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Last night's gaming session with my friends was pretty fun. The fan favorite was Elevated Dread, which is on itch.io for whatever you want to pay. It took us a little under an hour.

We also played

Mannequin which was short and creepy.

ANATOMY after the thread's rec

They Are Here: Alien Abduction Horror demo, which was really short but had good visuals and seems like it'll be an ambitious title when it's fully released.

Wrong Floor took us about half an hour and was pretty scary.

All in all, a lot of fun. I'd easily recommend Elevated Dread and Wrong Floor. They were closest to what mood we were going for, and succeed in being scary and weird. And I guess they make a double feature.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Hilario Baldness posted:

Look up how to get the three shot nail gun. Makes life a lot easier in that hospichurchasylum.

that doesn't help me get through the mirror even though I searched the entire playable area for anything I might have missed. Yes I can miss really obvious poo poo at times and I'm willing to cop to loving up basic visual recognition. :ssh:

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I hate games where invincible things are chasing you around, but the Thai dancer lady in Home Sweet Home 2 is too cool. :allears:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Reminder

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

so hop to it james swolederland

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Morpheus posted:

What are people's thoughts on Song of Horror? I watched a half-playthrough of the first chapter before it was released, which ended when the player got a game over due to QTEs being confusing or they sorta just screwed up and, like, jumped out of a window to their death. The atmosphere looked great and the structure of the game tense, though, so I was thinking of checking it out with friends for our weekly game night.

Does it get better/worse? Has it been patched since release?

I think it's neat! Each chapter is almost a loose homage to different horror games and their settings, scares can be unique to certain characters and the perma-death aspect isn't as bad as it sounds (providing the main character doesn't die). My personal favourite chapters are 2 and 4, which have some excellently creepy moments.

Patch-wise it doesn't seem like there's been anything since '20 but they did do some balance changes with the events. I did find that there's always at least one of the QTE's that is always a pain in the rear end but that does vary (slightly) with the player stats.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hilario Baldness posted:

You're not even supposed to know about that until a cryptic hint on the post-credits result screen

I wouldn't reccommend it for a first playthrough at all

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/reimenayee/status/1692885843420254682?t=8BQiiLy_XGTPkXuA0x4Tjw&s=19

Anyone played this?

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH

no never heard of it, but thanks for sharing, that poo poo looks dope

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Instant Grat posted:

Have any of you played I Did Not Buy This Ticket? It was released during LudoNarraCon - all I know about it is it's a "short, psychological horror experience" where you play a professional mourner, whose job is to go to the funerals of strangers and weep.

A bit back in discussion, but I spent awhile playing this in Xbox recently. It definitely nails down the weird, unsettling atmosphere quite well. Some of the art and imagery is very well done, but some felt a bit janky.

I felt like the story was sort of generic weird things that don't make sense occurring and not particularly interesting overall.

It has lots of different dialogue options that give branching paths and endings (and achievements), but after doing a few they mostly boil down to choose choice a and obvious result happens or choice b and obvious result happens. You can save at anytime, which makes it a bit easier to go back and see the results of different options (since most other parts play out similarly beforehand).

I guess my review sounds negative overall, but I enjoyed my few hours with it. It just isn't anything truly unique or memorable. Worth checking out of this style of game interests you.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Watching Dagon on Shudder for the first time and man, the creators of Resident Evil 4 must have been fans of this movie.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Yeah I've heard that before. I picked up Dagon for £1 on DVD to confirm this but haven't got round to it yet.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Yeah I've heard that before. I picked up Dagon for £1 on DVD to confirm this but haven't got round to it yet.

It's been on my list forever but never had easy access to it, it's on Shudder now so figured it was time

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Dagon rules.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Don't think I saw this mentioned, but Alan Wake 2 has been delayed ten days...the new release date is now October 27.

quote:

“October is an amazing month for game launches and we hope this date shift gives more space for everyone to enjoy their favorite games,” Remedy Entertainment said in the announcement. “We can’t wait to show you what everyone’s favorite novelist is up to in the Dark Place [at Gamescom 2023] next week. Thanks for your patience!”

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Aw, boo. On the other hand, I was just trying to remember when it was coming out and Halloween was my best guess, so it's also sorta like getting it four days early? :confuoot:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Oh poo poo, I thought it was coming out next year. Jesus, 2023 has been like one of the best years of gaming ever.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Read After Burning posted:

Don't think I saw this mentioned, but Alan Wake 2 has been delayed ten days...the new release date is now October 27.

I kind of prefer it this way, I'll just play Spider-Man 2 first and hopefully finish most of it by Alan Wake 2. On the other hand it's only one week and it's probably gonna be a bigger game than the first so.... I'll still have to juggle 2 games.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Just in time for when I'll get some time off. I might as well grab a new game because I'm sure as hell not gonna be sleeping with a newborn in the house

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Len posted:

Just in time for when I'll get some time off. I might as well grab a new game because I'm sure as hell not gonna be sleeping with a newborn in the house

Congrats!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just got a new game last week, and no one bothered to congratulate me :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Len posted:

Partner: "Honey I heard the baby scream is everything okay?"

Len, visibly shaking, with a fist sized hole in the middle of their computer monitor: "yeah uh I think they had gas"

(Congrats)