Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

I AM GRANDO posted:

Anyone interested in what he would do with new Gargoyles episodes should look at the 20 years of fan Q&A archives on his site. He imagined a lot of content, including five spin-offs and an epic franchise conclusion set 100 years in the future where Xanatos’s grandson and the collective forces of humanity lead a desperate war against the Space Spawn, who have invaded Earth. I guess the gargoyles would also be involved?

The dude’s got a big imagination and is probably way too into lore and story bibles vs keeping a story manageable, but I guess he did pull off a pretty impressive and successful story starting with “New York has gargoyles who fight crime.”

To be fair the whole reason he came up with so many spinoff ideas is because before Jeffrey Katzenberg left Disney to found DreamWorks one of his many very ambitious plans had been for Gargoyles to be the launching point for an entire superhero universe so that Disney could have its own equivalent to DC and Marvel, which is why the second season not only got its order extended to 52 episodes(it was originally only going to be 26 episodes from my recollection)* but also why so many episodes in Season 2 are basically setting up other heroes around the world, this obviously didn't work out once Katzenberg left which is probably why Weisman got axed during Season 3, Disney would flirt a bit with other attempts at securing a hold in the boys market(the period where they owned Power Rangers as well as an aborted attempt at doing a "Heroes" line that would have been the distaff equivalent of the Disney Princess line) before they decided to just buy out some of the bigger existing entities with Marvel and Star Wars

*if you pay attention during a rewatch of Season 2 it actually becomes pretty obvious in certain spots where things got shuffled around or altered because of the extension

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

*if you pay attention during a rewatch of Season 2 it actually becomes pretty obvious in certain spots where things got shuffled around or altered because of the extension

That explains the length of the World Tour.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Disney must be banking hard on the X-Men ‘97 series as despite not even having a concrete release date it’s already been greenlit for a second season:

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/x-men-97-season-2-i-think-youre-gonna-love-it-lenore-zann-rogue/

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Larryb posted:

Disney must be banking hard on the X-Men ‘97 series as despite not even having a concrete release date it’s already been greenlit for a second season:

https://bleedingcool.com/tv/x-men-97-season-2-i-think-youre-gonna-love-it-lenore-zann-rogue/

I have zero doubts that X-Men '97 is gonna be a hit. Continuation of a beloved series, lots of popular characters, people who grew up with it will introduce it to their kids, and there hasn't been any X-Men television stuff in a while.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I have to imagine after a decade of failing to get Inhumans to stick, Disney is jazzed just to have the very successful property of X-Men back on the front burner and get those nerds jazzed up for MCU Gambit

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

They apparently got at least a few of the 90’s VAs back for it as well. Last I checked it’s currently slated for fall of this year though there are rumblings that it might wind up getting delayed to 2024

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They should get that one comedian who does a bit about the first episode of X-Men to do voices for everyone who doesn’t come back. His Jubilee’s dad voice is dead perfect. Even his Storm was pretty good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I watched the first episode of Strange Planet (based on the funny aliens webcomic) and woof that is not good at all. I don't think I laughed once in the half hour it ran, and there's frankly no reason it should be 30-minute episodes!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Larryb posted:

They apparently got at least a few of the 90’s VAs back for it as well.

It means nothing without John Colicos' Apocalypse. :colbert:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I always take these "season 2 confirmed" announcements with a grain of salt. I do not doubt that they'll put out episodes labelled as season 2, but it's an extremely common practice nowadays to just order what used to be a season's worth of episodes and call the second half a new season without any of the benefits the crew would get from an actual second season.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
New preview for the next episode of Superman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uhCyicmiO0

It's Vicki Vale!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ompoD7V42DM

This looks good! Michael Cera, whole cast is back. I like that it sounds like they're covering 6 manga sized volumes in 8 episodes. Fast paced and dense adaptations, I like the sound of that.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Heavy Metal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ompoD7V42DM

This looks good! Michael Cera, whole cast is back. I like that it sounds like they're covering 6 manga sized volumes in 8 episodes. Fast paced and dense adaptations, I like the sound of that.

Needs more Lisa.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Welp, poo poo just got real in MAWS this week (also we meet this universe’s version of Vicki Vale and Lex returns as well). Looking forward to Part 2

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Seeing Superman get exhausted and sleep deprived is neat. At this point in the comics I think he usually just flies into the sun if he gets tired or something.

I'm really curious how (if?) Alex is going to become Lex Luthor. Going from Ivo's not-particularly-glamarous-engineer-guy to Superman's archenemy would be a hell of a glow up.

Also, is Ivo going to still build Amazo now that he's Parasite? Does Amazo serve a purpose in a story where the Justice League doesn't exist(yet)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

Seeing Superman get exhausted and sleep deprived is neat. At this point in the comics I think he usually just flies into the sun if he gets tired or something.

I'm really curious how (if?) Alex is going to become Lex Luthor. Going from Ivo's not-particularly-glamarous-engineer-guy to Superman's archenemy would be a hell of a glow up.

Also, is Ivo going to still build Amazo now that he's Parasite? Does Amazo serve a purpose in a story where the Justice League doesn't exist(yet)?

Well he already has a deep hatred of Superman at least thanks to the incident with Ivo but yeah, I’ll be curious how/if this Lex winds up going from what he is now to Superman’s #1 enemy (though we likely won’t see it happen until at least Season 2)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Larryb posted:

Well he already has a deep hatred of Superman at least thanks to the incident with Ivo but yeah, I’ll be curious how/if this Lex winds up going from what he is now to Superman’s #1 enemy (though we likely won’t see it happen until at least Season 2)

They haven't mentioned it in the cartoon, but isn't Lex Corp something Lex Luthor's dad started in a lot continuities? Like, the Lex Luthor we know as Superman's arch-nemesis is Alex Luthor Jr? Dad wanted him to get some experience where the nepotism wouldn't be as obvious but now he knows the most about Superman of anyone Lex Corp has a connection too, and then something happens to Alex Luthor Sr. so he get's the company?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

They haven't mentioned it in the cartoon, but isn't Lex Corp something Lex Luthor's dad started in a lot continuities? Like, the Lex Luthor we know as Superman's arch-nemesis is Alex Luthor Jr? Dad wanted him to get some experience where the nepotism wouldn't be as obvious but now he knows the most about Superman of anyone Lex Corp has a connection too, and then something happens to Alex Luthor Sr. so he get's the company?

That makes sense considering a lot of the characters we’ve seen so far are just starting out their careers (though in most continuities Ivo works for him rather than the other way around but in this case the former’s now Parasite and is currently part of the Not Suicide Squad)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 19, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

I think Lex's origin (or at least the origin of his money) is something that fluctuates a lot between continuities and from a quick google it seems that in more of them than not he's a real self-made man. Even though in at least some he gets a humble loan from his father... but not the way that phrase made you think, he kills his parents (makes it look like an accident, naturally) and gets the insurance money.

OnimaruXLR posted:

Yeah, it's nice seeing Superman get used to his powers (and not in like one mediocre scene in a Snyder movie). Like as much as I love the DCAU and will stan S:TAS, I will admit that it starting off having Superman with all his powers was kinda weak. And yeah depending on who's writing sometimes Superman doesn't even have to eat which makes him seem more alien. Seeing Clark having to pound caffeine to fuel his 3 day saving binge makes him more relatable and is also hilarious.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Aug 20, 2023

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The show is full of characters that are massive departures from their comic counterparts. I don't know that I'd expect Lex Luthor to tick all the standard boxes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I like how this Clark feels more “human” than some of his other counterparts (he’s flawed, he makes mistakes, he has confidence issues, he’s kind of a dork, etc). The rest of the cast has been really good so far too (as I’ve said before, I think this show might have my favorite Lois)

We’re also getting close to the end now as I believe I heard in the kids show thread that this season is only about 13 episodes (though a second has already been confirmed with the potential for a third depending on how well the show is doing at that time)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Aug 20, 2023

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I remember Lionel Luthor being the evil dad in Smallville.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I remember Lionel Luthor being the evil dad in Smallville.

Played by the legendary John Glover, no less.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Unless they've already recorded the majority of dialog for Season 2 I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for season 2. Animation takes a while and they do it after recording dialog the majority of the time and there's currently an actors strike with the studios refusing to even negotiate.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Air Skwirl posted:

Unless they've already recorded the majority of dialog for Season 2 I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for season 2. Animation takes a while and they do it after recording dialog the majority of the time and there's currently an actors strike with the studios refusing to even negotiate.

Thanks to the world we live in, animation isn't being impacted much at all. Unless I missed an update in august, voice over work is still going as normal.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
S2 should be in the can. Design worked off voiced animatics and we rolled off S2 back in January. I was told in April the animation coming back for S2 is better than S1, so it's made. Of course, that doesn't mean it'll air. A month after S2 of Pantheon was fully wrapped, ready to air, AMC killed it.

Jake had as far as S4 planned when we last discussed it, but anything past the 2 season order was contingent on initial success. But who knows what "success" means!

The only thing that is a guarantee kill for the series, or any series really, is if there's a head change at the company. We only survived Zaslav by being a recognizable name and dirt cheap to produce.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It doesn't look like a cheap show, so its cool that its managing to keep a good quality on a tight budget. then again anime is known for that, but i assume at least the stateside crew is making more than $3 an hour anime wages. Who knows what the rates at studio mir are, but i work with lots of korean animators who now work in canada for a reason.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

OnimaruXLR posted:

What I really like about this depiction of Superman is that he doesn't know what the gently caress is going on at all

He has no idea that the Sun is what lets him do things, and that's a really fun take that you don't get very often, certainly not outside of the books

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Was catching up on Superman last night!

It's just so charming. Clark is just delightful, and so are Lois and Jimmy.

Congrats to all who make it. I wish you more money.

Also, it was nice to have kind of a ...mostly.. peaceful Monsieur Mallah and The Brain.

PicklePants fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Aug 21, 2023

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

OnimaruXLR posted:

IIRC Amazo originally had an absorption technology of some king and Ivo being Parasite sets precedent for that.

Perhaps he can be an experiment with his Parasite tech and the alien tech to combat Clark.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Finally saw episode 8 of Superman and what an emotional rollercoaster

Supes learning he had super hearing and spends 3 days straight saving people and trying to find the General. It's honestly interesting the angle they are going with Vicky. I didn't expect her to be a shallow/egotistical/selfish person, granted I see what they are going with as this would've been Lois if she didn't change how she felt about Clark/Supes.. I bet her taking down the Falcones, she was probably taking more of a certain Bat's credit :v: It was very dishearting seeing that all it took was one bad incident (granted a major one that almost got people killed) and everyone views Supes negatively. The power of modern media. The fight with the Task force was great, and it's a blink and you'll miss it but.. Supes did go full blue for a second.. so.. maybe his other powers are activating. Clark captured and the next episode General Lane is asking when the invasion will happen.. Wonder if General Zod will make an appearance. But once against this series keeps knocking out of the park!

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I really like how Clark has no clue about any particulars where he came from other then the fact that he's an alien.

Also it's sorta my bias, I like superman who doesn't have a super strong connection to krypton. I always found it weird how superman would go "Great rao" or poo poo like that. Why would clark adopt the theology of a culture/society he has had no interactions with?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
That doesn't seem that weird to me? If he's the last person of a now dead culture and he finds out some aspects of that culture, saying/carrying some of it on seems like a pretty natural reaction.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Monaghan posted:

I really like how Clark has no clue about any particulars where he came from other then the fact that he's an alien.

Also it's sorta my bias, I like superman who doesn't have a super strong connection to krypton. I always found it weird how superman would go "Great rao" or poo poo like that. Why would clark adopt the theology of a culture/society he has had no interactions with?

I mean, there's tons of people who get really into whatever extinct culture they're a descendant of. It makes sense for Superman to be curious about it. Plus, aren't adopted kids curious about their birth family usually?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've never seen any superman hailing Rao, usually that's more Supergirl's thing, because she actually grew into adolescence on Krypton (or a colony thereof).

I do find most of the zany things written about Kryptonian society pretty interesting. It ends up a lot like Vulcan and Gallifrey. Strange advanced worlds with harsh environments that bear scars from some ancient conflict and rigid, old societies that needed somebody to break them out of their rut before it destroyed them.

https://kryptonculture-blog.tumblr.com/

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 24, 2023

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've never seen any superman hailing Rao, usually that's more Supergirl's thing, because she actually grew into adolescence on Krypton (or a colony thereof).

I think it was more common in the Silver Age, he says it a fair few times in Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? I remember.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Monaghan posted:

It’s like nyc guys who have Italian flags all over the everything, or Americans who won’t shut the gently caress up about their 19th-century Irish immigrant ancestors and who spend their vacation going to the Irish village they emigrated from and taking pictures of everything.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering how the current series is handling the people of Krypton so far I’m curious to see what the show is ultimately going to do with Brainiac (I’m guessing a Saiyan/Freiza style relationship most likely)

Edit: I forgot him being a Kryptonian supercomputer was purely an invention of STAS (though I wouldn’t be surprised if they do something similar here)

Good episode though, I hope Lois and her dad actually get to interact at some point

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 26, 2023

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

Considering how the current series is handling the people of Krypton so far I’m curious to see what the show is ultimately going to do with Brainiac (I’m guessing a Saiyan/Freiza style relationship most likely)

Good episode though, I hope Lois and her dad actually get to interact at some point

I'm sure they will, if only so Lois can get react to the inevitable big reveal that he is (or was) the guy hunting Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Goddamn what an episode.

Slade gets his signature eye patch. It was interesting to see why Waller was taking orders from Lane and now she has became the Wall. I"m curious why they needed to have Jimmy look at the ball as he never had
doubts Supes was his buddy so.. yeah. I like the little tidbits like Alex rolling his eyes over at the speech (yeah you are so loving Lex luther with that ego). I did not expect Ivo to actually cry. Course could be crying that he lost or crying how far of a monster he has become. This series is seemingly trying to make the villans not too one dimension. (Granted Livewire is still kinda is)