Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sextro posted:

I am one of the people that can really taste soap/flavor residue on silicone cookware and I found adding "Detergent Booster" (citric acid) to my wash cycles eliminated the issue. Also helped quite a bit with silverware coming out a bit dull.

Do you put it in the prewash or in regular wash cycle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Steve Yun posted:

Do you put it in the prewash or in regular wash cycle

I put a spoonfull in each when doing a heavy load, or just a spoon in the prewash for lighter loads.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Can I just use citric acid if I’m able to source large cheap bags of it

Or maybe vinegar

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've never tried vinegar, but straight citric acid should work because the commercial booster product is just citric acid + lemon oil + fragrance + carriers. The lemon oil might have an interaction with plastics/*cones that aids in cleaning them now that I type it out though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Used to have a KitchenAid dishwasher that came with the place and it used to routinely leave "dishwasher residue" on everything, even when using citric acid and/or a rinse aid. Replaced it with a Bosch a couple years ago, and have never had it happen. I don't know if it's just because it's a better dishwasher in general (which is absolutely is), or because it's got a builtin rinse aid dispenser.

The Bosch also doesn't get that "wet dog" smell that dishwashers sometimes do. That might be because of a waaaay better drain filter than any other residential dishwasher I've ever used.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
What’s the drain filter look like

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

What’s the drain filter look like
It's like a 12.5 cm x 25 cm panel over the drain at the bottom, with a collar in the centre that mates with the drain hole and works kinda like a kitchen sink drain plug with a strainer basket. The filter locks in place and releases with like a quarter-turn of the collar. So the draining water goes through the filter, than then the strainer before it goes down the drain. If the filter got clogged or for some other reason there was a couple inches of standing water at the bottom of the dishwasher, it would overtop the collar and then just go through the strainer (but prevent flooding the kitchen when you opened the door).

Most of the dishwasher filters I've seen before are kinda like just the collar bit, with the strainer, and then it slides into a fine mesh cylinder. So all the poo poo getting filtered ends up getting trapped between the strainer and the mesh, and it's fuckin' pain in the rear end to clean out.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My old dishwasher had a few integrated clips to hold down lightweight containers on the top shelf. My new one doesn't, and things keep getting flipped over. I'm tired of opening the machine and seeing plastic containers full of filthy water. Can one buy those clips somewhere? I can't find them but I'm hoping maybe I'm using the wrong keyword.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Zorak of Michigan posted:

My old dishwasher had a few integrated clips to hold down lightweight containers on the top shelf. My new one doesn't, and things keep getting flipped over. I'm tired of opening the machine and seeing plastic containers full of filthy water. Can one buy those clips somewhere? I can't find them but I'm hoping maybe I'm using the wrong keyword.
I think the search term you want is "no-flip clips".

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If not, you can find a cooking rack that’s 100% stainless steel (no chrome) and put it on top of your flip-prone dishes

Edit: haha, they make silicone nets that do this now

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 12, 2023

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I bet if you cook with them they taste awful.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

If not, you can find a cooking rack that’s 100% stainless steel (no chrome) and put it on top of your flip-prone dishes

Edit: haha, they make silicone nets that do this now

I uhh don’t think they loaded that dishwasher very good. Right side up bowl? A random mystery tube? What is even going on there.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Amazon reviewer submitted photos are absolute chaos

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe just sticking stuff in any which way and using the silicone net to keep it in place is the life hack

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Like a animal

E. You piece of poo poo

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

mystes posted:

Maybe just sticking stuff in any which way is the life hack

Hell yeah it is

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Steve Yun posted:

Amazon reviewer submitted photos are absolute chaos

My favorite Amazon review is when it's for something basic like a rivet and the person posts a dozen photos of their bizarre project where they used it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Thanks!

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Eeyo posted:

I uhh don’t think they loaded that dishwasher very good. Right side up bowl? A random mystery tube? What is even going on there.

if it's an asian household, the dishwasher is just another place to store extra poo poo

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
First time cooking rice at the new house - even with the burner on the lowest setting my little pot kept boiling over. It was only a cup of rice and I couldn't get it down to anything lower than what I'd call a heavy simmer or quasi-boil.

I guess I need a heat diffuser. Do I just get a cast iron one or are there advantages to the million other kinds (perforated steel, enameled steel, etc)?

It's a gas stove so induction compatibility would be nice (if I pick up a plug-in induction cooker later) but it's not exactly make or break.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Discussion Quorum posted:

First time cooking rice at the new house - even with the burner on the lowest setting my little pot kept boiling over. It was only a cup of rice and I couldn't get it down to anything lower than what I'd call a heavy simmer or quasi-boil.

I guess I need a heat diffuser. Do I just get a cast iron one or are there advantages to the million other kinds (perforated steel, enameled steel, etc)?

It's a gas stove so induction compatibility would be nice (if I pick up a plug-in induction cooker later) but it's not exactly make or break.

Seems like it's also a good time to evaluate whether a nice rice cooker would fit into your life, unless you would use a heat diffuser on your stovetop for other things too. Even if you're able to cook rice just fine in a pot, the cookers are very good at keeping the morning's rice ready for literally all day. I'm extremely happy with my zojirushi one, many of them also can do stuff like congee/oats/etc.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'd say get the induction now. Having easy low temp control is so nice, and reducing fumes is a nice benefit.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have an 8qt instant pot that I use for cooking large batches of rice but sometimes fishing a large gizmo out of a cabinet is more than I want to deal with for a quick pot of rice. I'm not going to say I haven't considered a rice cooker, but I think my wife and I are both resistant to accumulating yet another countertop appliance.

BrianBoitano posted:

I'd say get the induction now. Having easy low temp control is so nice, and reducing fumes is a nice benefit.

that's... a great idea and something I think we would both agree on

e: hold on, reducing fumes sounds WOKE, nice try commie :bahgawd:

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 15, 2023

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

The Vitamix 7500 I bought during the flash sale came in. Everything is smoooooooth. It is true that the wider vessel “struggles” with smaller batches, but struggling is maybe +20 seconds. I like a shorter pitcher with my limited storage space. Does a great frappé, too. I am most looking forward to blending my pepper ferments into sauces, hummus and making peanut butter once we go through our current stock.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I've discovered that I make tacos often enough and in large enough batches that it would probably be convenient to have a single container for holding onions, cilantro, avocado/lime (doesnt hurt to keep them together), and a wild card (pickled jalapenos, crema, or cheese).

Transparent would be ideal, removable compartments a HUGE plus (cilantro needs to get washed out while everything else is good for much longer), and I think it's best if the compartments are airtight from each other (not sure what onions do to avocado, also less risk of spillage).

This one:

https://www.amazon.com/Carrotez-Con...17&sr=8-10&th=1

Or this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Carrotez-Com...96&sr=8-15&th=1

Are pretty close to the mark.

Anyone have input on this system or product suggestions?

E: Definitely need to be dishwasher safe because there is no sane world where I track which food containers can and cannot go in the dishwasher.

FaradayCage fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 20, 2023

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
There are containers that would be absolutely perfect for that kind of thing that I would suggest.

However: They are Japanese, and you have to import them, and that is what is keeping me from getting them myself. =(

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07XTGB4XJ?language=en_US&th=1

I say this not holding it up as "you should get this", but more as, "there are Options out there, if you're not stuck on American stores only."

I think the words you may be looking for are "condiment server".

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Aug 20, 2023

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah I used to use something like this to hold pizza toppings. Ours didn't have lids but cling wrap works fine.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Doom Rooster posted:

The microwavalso e is great at softening butter from the freezer, and reheating leftover rice.

That’s all that I can remember using mine for in recent history.
We keep the freezer full of frozen meats, as well as pouches of chili, bolognese, and so on that were cooked in large batches to go into the freezer. I want the ground lamb to be thawed, not heated, because I'm going to actually cook it after it's room temperature.

I heat the liquids for bread in the microwave because it's easier to control precisely and there's no thermal mass in the container. Heat a little, hit it with the probe thermometer, heat a little, lather rinse repeat.

Question for the cheffy people in the thread: If I take a pot off the heat and use the infrared thermometer, am I getting a reasonable reading for the whole fluid, or only for the top quarter-inch or so?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I always give it a good stir to equalize temperature gradient whatevers before using my IR thermometer, but I am definitely no chef.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Have you guys talked about the weird 300 buck mitsubishi toaster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq3iwWaoU7w

I know it seems dumb as gently caress and a huge waste of money, but I like, really want to try one.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kwolok posted:

Have you guys talked about the weird 300 buck mitsubishi toaster?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq3iwWaoU7w

I know it seems dumb as gently caress and a huge waste of money, but I like, really want to try one.

I'm way too interested in this toaster. That video though.. man what is going on with the music? I want to hear what they're saying but it's like slapstick goofball music constantly making it sound like the whole thing is an outro?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

VelociBacon posted:

I'm way too interested in this toaster. That video though.. man what is going on with the music? I want to hear what they're saying but it's like slapstick goofball music constantly making it sound like the whole thing is an outro?

This was the most tolerable video reviewing the toaster that went more into the options otehr than toast, but I agree it still sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yExr6dxV4jU

Emmy did a review but its fairly limited comapratively imo

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

IIRC some famous Japanese video game developer did a series of tweets about how to make the perfect honey bread in his toaster. Many people were intrigued. According to an article I read, the elaborate steam/toast setup was originally intended to reheat croissants and other flaky pastries. According to the Amazon reviews, the conversion from Japanese to American voltage and cycles was half-assed, and Mitsubishi doesn't bother to provide repairs or support in the USA, even though these aren't grey-market imports but official products.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

This is actually the review of the Mitsubishi toaster you were looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxAbz9mfaj0

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Sextro posted:

This is actually the review of the Mitsubishi toaster you were looking for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxAbz9mfaj0

What was the phrase you can't say anymore? Blacker than...

mystes
May 31, 2006

I would never buy a $500 toaster but it does kind of look amazing

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

mystes posted:

I would never buy a $500 toaster but it does kind of look amazing

You're in luck! It's only $500 north of the 49th parallel.
( And probably south of the equator. )

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’ve got two of them one for me and one for the missus.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013
I'm working on putting together a whole new kitchen and I need a little advice. Are there any must have features for either an induction cooktop or a dishwasher? I know someone earlier was singing the praises of Bosch dishwashers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

https://twitter.com/rslashyt/status/1120317996441001986

Buy a Bosch dishwasher. Period. They're quiet, they get dishes squeaky clean, they last forever.