Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hey all, I’ve been enjoying the latest TAZ series but something g keeps Bugging me and I want to make sure I’m not alone, or have my confusion illuminated for me.

I love Justin as an in-the moment DM, as well as a DM that sets up fun and elaborate scenarios, but I feel like his worldbuilding is really unclear and muddled. The thing that keeps coming up for m is the line between “the fiction of the park” and “reality of the park” in Steeplechase.

For example; Dave Ballista. He is a quest giver character in the fiction of the park. He wants a mcguffin you get from completing a ride.

But the reward he gives the boys is… a real weapon? Why would he be allowed to do this? And if he isn’t; why would he want a useless parl mcguffin in exchange for a real world weapon? What does he gain here?

Darla David is a fictional character in Gutter City, assisting guest with a quest. But also, the crime in the city is worse in her absence. Why? Is she both a real and fictional detective? Why would her role in gutter city be “a character who plays with guests but also someone who deals with real crime”?

There are a few other examples too where characters seem to operate both as real people and fictional characters. I’ve considered this is an intentional sci-fi element of the show where reality is blurred - but also think that might be a generous reading, as no one has ever brought it up and Justin has never made any allusions to it.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
going from the RLM thread to this one is such a whiplash

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Calico Heart posted:

Anyone have any thoughts?

One way to look at the blurry lines is as a sign that the park is falling apart, maybe fatally so. The older leaders make decisions as if things would never have to radically change. But the status quo clearly isn't sustainable. Here are some examples.

The park pays its bills with guests who go there to experience their dreams. The dream keyfabe is preserved by community standards. There are three classes that break the dream keyfabe regularly: criminals, park employees doing specific jobs, or park leadership. Any other park denizen who breaks keyfab risks losing access to the park. But pretending things are fine when they aren't creates a cognitive dissonance that kills dreams too.

The original vision of the park is not being built upon or developed. At the same time, the park is kept running by making lower quality replicas of that vision, of places, of people. The justification is lower costs. But these illusions vanish when the power is cut. So nothing of substance is left to support the original vision.

The park also struggles with providing services, even with free labor and buildings made of light. It has no child care provisions besides video games and the wasteland. It isn't policing the black market, every day crimes, or the criminal enterprises that are filling the gap. Communication between and within the layers is limited to the point that it's possible to bluff one's way into high security areas. From there, park equipment is easily stolen or destroyed.

In essence, the park being fully functional is just an illusion. The lack of security allows for weapons sales and kidnappings. The need to pretend things are fine prevents discussions for a fix. And the literal soul of the park, Carmine Denton, has been fragmented and scattered. Something needs to change before it's too late to save the park.

TLDR: The park is dying in a way that shares some overlaps with the USSR final years. Every guest and employee is expected to act and plan as if things are eternally fine while they see things falling apart.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

But why would Dave Ballista, a criminal who smuggles real weapons into the park at great personal risk, be interested in a toy dragon heart that any year can get, to the extent he parts with his valuable real weapons to get it?

Elements like that in particular I think go beyond “the lines between real and fiction are blurry” and into muddled worldbuilding territory. And this is coming from someone for whom “the flow of time is convoluted in Lordran” is good enough.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, I think that bit kinda doesn't make sense. I guess they were retooling the Geltfrempn ride, so maybe Dave Ballista wanted a heartscale before it became vintage quest memorabilia?

The Darla Davis thing makes a bit more sense in that the line between "guest" and "employee" is intentionally obtuse in Gutter City (honestly one of the funniest running bits in Steeplechase), so she kinda just acts like a PI would act, which involves doing PI stuff that isn't scripted as well as stuff that is.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Nothing about the setting really makes any sense. There's a few decent scifi ideas but none of them fit together in any way to make a cohesive setting. It's best not to think about it too long.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think it makes sense. The PCs aren't privy to all of it, but "a giant immersive theme park with full kayfabe to the extent that you can't tell guests from staff from the criminal underbelly" is the basic truth from which everything else unfolds, and that's relatively consistent.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I've had all the same thoughts and my conclusion was this: it isn't fully thought out bc Justin don't care like that, and also every employee is an insane person

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
My main questions are based around what other theme parks are like now that we’ve got some Knott’s Berry Farm lore. Also though technically not a woodimal, is the Catawumpus the final boss of the wastelands?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I thought the scale was hard to get, requiring a years in advance reservation and physically removing it?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Today it's time to find out if you can escape from Plato's Rave. Lord knows the episode can't.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I honestly thought that the woodimals were things Justin had made and he was poking fun at himself

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I wasnt vibing with the start of the wizard segment so I zoned out for a minute thinking that the wikiHow bits don't last too long. It got better but also man I wish I had paid attention for the whole thing

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Folks. Folks. It's Westworld with the serial numbers filed off.

You're welcome!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Well, yeah. except westworld is robots. That is what makes westworld work the way it does. This is obviously not. They could probably explain it away if the setting was more openly dystopian, instead it's quirky and silly. It's a setting with a lot of pieces and few that really fit all that well together.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 22, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
ruh roh, did the brothers beef another adventure zone arc?

can't blame this one on travis

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Nah, the arc is largely good. The setting just doesn't hold up to much scrutiny is all. It's largely a nitpick in the grand scheme of things.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

The Allegory of the Rave was great

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

big war with grandpa vibes, and it skipped an assuredly unfunny munch squad

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Armitag3 posted:

big war with grandpa vibes

Griffin can't stop thinking about that dirty DeNiro dick, bless him

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Ok Comboomer posted:

ruh roh, did the brothers beef another adventure zone arc?

no it's really good. no one has ever claimed that this is a perfectly conceived fantasy world that makes sense when you stop suspending disbelief, it's a loving fun little podcast with a weird little world. it's clear that at every point when given the choice between "make this world make perfect sense" and "advance the narrative in a fun and engaging way" Justin has chosen the latter which is correct.

not trying to poo poo on the people nitpicking because they're fully acknowledging that it's nitpicking. i do this with star trek all the time and it's still great

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

the current chapter of Steeplechase isn't really doing it for me

Been great so far but since they've been in New Kidadelphia it's felt pretty bleh

them escaping and kicking Kenshall's head in will be rad, but it's been pretty uninteresting for the past ... 2 months?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

Sockser posted:

Been great so far but since they've been in New Kidadelphia it's felt pretty bleh

them escaping and kicking Kenshall's head in will be rad, but it's been pretty uninteresting for the past ... 2 months?

I think i feel the same. imo, TAZ is at its best when they're doing relatively standalone adventures with some fun downtime stuff connecting them. The moment they get to the "this is the big plot" stuff it starts to drag

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Don't underestimate mcelroy fans

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Sockser posted:

It doesn't help that they went to biweekly for the summer.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

goblin week posted:

Don't underestimate mcelroy fans

https://youtu.be/PXatLOWjr-k

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
boop a doop a doop haunted painting watch

https://twitter.com/dearlucy/status/1693975226311233917?s=46&t=dQl6Iu6Wmq7antcZ30Prgw

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
*Stefon voice*

New York's hottest club is Plato's Cave

This rave built in the warehouse basement of a Container Store has everything: buffalo wings, traps, an undersea pressure chamber, and the Candy King.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Zero One posted:

*Stefon voice*

New York's hottest club is Plato's Cave

This rave built in the warehouse basement of a Container Store has everything: buffalo wings, traps, an undersea pressure chamber, and the Candy King.

that’s not how you spell Richard Stink

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Plato’s Rave, ja bud, hottest place in New York

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Can't decide what my favorite part of this MBMBAM is: the money zone kicking in at ~16 minutes, or Justin saying "Arby's has a bowling shirt now, I don't know, just keep going"

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

They never told me how to have a good time at my first rave :mad:

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
pretty sure they did. zone 9

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Sockser posted:

They never told me how to have a good time at my first rave :mad:

They said themselves the Container Store is a good enough time on it's own

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I've never lived outside of a major metropolitan area so the idea of Justin never having been to a container store is buck wild to me

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What is a container store?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Container Store is a chain of retail establishments that specialize in selling containers of all types and sizes, though they also sell non-container furnishings as well.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

They sell containers and container accessories

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Container? I BARELY KNOW HER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI