Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Prof. Banks posted:

Does anyone have pygmy corydora catfish? If so what the hell are you supposed to feed them? Their mouths are so tiny that I took a mortar and pestle to the catfish pellets I bought and the bits are still too big.

I do the same thing except I don't stop until it's a powder. It's small enough to feed even the fry they unfortunately keep producing. Please stop breeding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Nice corals!

I really love clove polyps, but be careful to either isolate them or be prepared to have them everywhere. I love them, but even I will avoid the blue clove polyps because I've seen them engulf a tank.

Did the cardinals pair up? Is that a tomato clown?

Very exciting tank :-)
Those are I think firework cloves, definetly not the blue kind.

The pajama cardinals more or less keep themselves.

I do have a pair of assholes tomato clowns.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

The Nastier Nate posted:

I do have a pair of assholes tomato clowns.

My female tomato clown bites me. She's my favorite

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

My PetSmart had a bunch of API master kits for $24 and a couple random single tests on clearance for $6

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Had another close call guppy jumper saved today, by being caught in a spiderweb behind the tank where I could easily reach them instead of ending up invisible on the floor. My plague survivor guppies are growing in number again now, from six to maybe 20? At least three different batches of fry. I’m half tempted to buy a couple pairs of “assorted” endler to add some new genetics after the bottleneck.

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Thanks for the advice. I'll try grinding the hell out of it and try to feed them powder and if that's not working I'll move on to one of the suggestions. Looking on Amazon I saw a bunch of *golden pearls" listed. Is there an actual brand you all were talking about? Because it doesn't at all look like they're unavailable.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Prof. Banks posted:

Thanks for the advice. I'll try grinding the hell out of it and try to feed them powder and if that's not working I'll move on to one of the suggestions. Looking on Amazon I saw a bunch of *golden pearls" listed. Is there an actual brand you all were talking about? Because it doesn't at all look like they're unavailable.

Ah good to hear. Maybe they were never that unavailable, but I know a lot of stuff that I relied on before COVID really got kick-started seem to disappear during that time. I also never hear people really talk about it anymore so I assumed that it had just faded away.

Another news, I'm not sure if I'm not feeding enough of my marine tank, but I've not seen my mini brittle stars in ages. I'm wondering if maybe all the bristle worms have been catching up all the food. I did have a thought to maybe make a small nanotank and order more brittle star minis when it gets cooler out and try and get a little breeding setup going.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Stoca Zola posted:

Had another close call guppy jumper saved today, by being caught in a spiderweb behind the tank where I could easily reach them instead of ending up invisible on the floor. My plague survivor guppies are growing in number again now, from six to maybe 20? At least three different batches of fry. I’m half tempted to buy a couple pairs of “assorted” endler to add some new genetics after the bottleneck.
Nice to hear things are on the upswing. Do it! Stir that gene pool, build a hearty colony.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I changed from a hygger ‘budget’ light to an aquarium coop light and got a lot of hair algae. I waffled on swapping back but finally did a few days ago and the situation is already noticeably better. Aquarium coop lights all hype smh

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Rated PG-34 posted:

I changed from a hygger ‘budget’ light to an aquarium coop light and got a lot of hair algae. I waffled on swapping back but finally did a few days ago and the situation is already noticeably better. Aquarium coop lights all hype smh

The coop light might just have been brighter than your old one. I tend to get hair algae when I have too much light in a tank with too few fast growing plants.

Did you try reducing the intensity a couple notches?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
pretty sure that’s a joke post

right?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Weembles posted:

The coop light might just have been brighter than your old one. I tend to get hair algae when I have too much light in a tank with too few fast growing plants.

Did you try reducing the intensity a couple notches?

I think the hygger light is running brighter actually

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

hair algae eat nitrates, right?
I got bits growing on freaking jungle val. And my oldest generation of mystery snails rock a fur coat on their shells.
These posts reminded me to check the timer, and yeah, I just knocked an hour off. It was only running 5.5 hours/ day, split into 2 separate periods.
But if I cut off too much light, the duckweed yield might suffer. Then I'll have to buy more goldfish food.

Stop peer pressuring me to watch some specific anime hate algae!

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 15, 2023

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

pastor of muppets posted:

Hey y'all, need some advice.

Update: tank fully cycled in about four weeks, is now home to these guys

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

pastor of muppets posted:

Update: tank fully cycled in about four weeks, is now home to these guys

What a qt. How do you keep your water cool?

Did the weekly 30% water change today and got a jumper (harlequin rasbora). Rip. I need the Foxconn playbook to prevent these

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Rated PG-34 posted:

What a qt. How do you keep your water cool?

I have two three head fan-style coolers on top. They do a pretty good job of keeping the water around 66-67F, but I think I'm going to spring for an actual refrigerated chiller before next summer. It also helps that the tank is directly above an AC vent, so it's getting a full blast of cold air from below too.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Those are some beautiful axies. I miss mine, but keeping the water the right temp without a chiller was near impossible.

Cold enough in winter to get many spawns though. I flooded the market in Phoenix with a few spawns.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

I had some previously, but around the time they died, they became illegal in my state so I couldn't get more. The ban was lifted in 2021, so I set out to get a couple of juvies, but someone on the axolotl forum happened to have eggs and was only a couple hours away from me. I ended up with 75 eggs, which became 32 juvies, most of whom I either sold to a local shop or adopted out to friends. I had only intended to keep three (a lucy, a mel, and a goldie), but my husband loved the wild types, so four it was.

Honestly not mad about it though, this guy is a hoot.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Achievement unlocked: sucked a fry through my siphon hose

Bonus: my siphon hose is standard airline tubing

he seems fine

Achievement unlocked: suck two fish through airline tubing

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Achievement unlocked: suck two fish through airline tubing

It's fun when you're siphoning out pleco fry and they decide to latch on to the inside of the tubing.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
I'm pretty new at this, following the advise of a specialty store owner for a ~35L community tank of Petitella, two Platys, a Bristlenose and a few snails that hitchhiked with the plants.

There was a rough start: one of the kids had gotten their mitts on the thermostat and cooked the fish at 36C. One Platy survived miraculously.
It's a month later now and all seems to be going well. I introduced more Petitella and the Bristlenose companions after the tank fully cycled.

However, I've tried introducing a flower shrimp twice now who both died relatively suddenly after only a week. I cannot really find a reason why. I noticed them going around and filter feeding, so I took that as a good sign. But then I would find them in the same spot in the morning and sure enough no more movement whatsoever. I left them for a day or two after in the hope it's just molting, but it's pretty clear it's dead after a while.

Going through the list of suspects:
- Nitrite/Nitrate levels. The first one was introduced when the tank was not fully cycled yet. Perhaps the frequent water changes and small nitrite/nitrate spikes did it in? However, the second shrimp was introduced well after it stabilized, but it still croaked. The Petitella are also fine and they are supposed to be sensitive to that.
- Food. The filter appears to be giving enough flow for the shrimps to have gotten their umbrellas out for some filter feeding, so I do not think this is it. I fed the second-take shrimp once with some crushed nettle leaves and spirula, just in case it was not finding enough food.
- I first noticed the hitchhiked snails at the same time as the first dead shrimp. There was a snail going over the shrimp's corpse. Probably a coincidence, they do not look like snail-eating snails.
- Failed molting. Is there something that would cause both to fail their molt?

Does anyone have experience with these little guys? Anything I could have missed?

edit: corpse pic of the second, after moving it a bit more into the open

Beef fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Aug 18, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Shrimp need very established tanks to survive. IE well past cycling, with lots of stuff to pick at on the glass, rocks, plants, etc.

Also "flower/bamboo" shrimp don't eat flakes, they filter feed, so you need super fine particle food, almost like what corals eat. Think golden pearls or very very fine crushed food.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Cowslips Warren posted:

Shrimp need very established tanks to survive. IE well past cycling, with lots of stuff to pick at on the glass, rocks, plants, etc.

Also "flower/bamboo" shrimp don't eat flakes, they filter feed, so you need super fine particle food, almost like what corals eat. Think golden pearls or very very fine crushed food.

Yeah, I'll definitely wait a while before trying again.

Would that explain them dying after a few days though?

I crushed the nettle and spirula into a super fine paste with a mortar and pestle, it looked more like the sludge at the bottom of a cup of matcha tea. It seemed to be filtering it pretty well, bringing its hands to its mouth occasionally.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Beef posted:

I crushed the nettle and spirula into a super fine paste with a mortar and pestle, it looked more like the sludge at the bottom of a cup of matcha tea. It seemed to be filtering it pretty well, bringing its hands to its mouth occasionally.

A combo of an uncycled tank, a new tank without any muck/natural buildup, and no food? Easily.

Mine used to perch on well used and dirty sponge filters and just feed from the air bubble stream nonstop.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I love shrimp, but I've given up on keeping them in my main tank. white skirts and zebra danios refuse to let them live.

So I'm looking at getting a second, smaller tank, like 10g dedicated to shrimps.

What kinda tiny fish would the thread recommend I put in there with scramps? Would I be safe with a small school of neon tetras?

e:
Since I'm setting up a second tank, I can toss some filter media from the first tank in there when I'm setting it up. That should speed up the initial cycle, so I can get it started faster than setting up completely from scratch, right?

Sockser fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 19, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Beef posted:

10gal (or even 5gal) is an excellent size for neocaridinia (the Blue Dreams I added at the end of June have been having a ton of babies of late) but it’s too small for a bamboo shrimp that needs like 2-3x more water volume to filter feed from

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Sockser posted:

I love shrimp, but I've given up on keeping them in my main tank. white skirts and zebra danios refuse to let them live.

So I'm looking at getting a second, smaller tank, like 10g dedicated to shrimps.

What kinda tiny fish would the thread recommend I put in there with scramps? Would I be safe with a small school of neon tetras?

e:
Since I'm setting up a second tank, I can toss some filter media from the first tank in there when I'm setting it up. That should speed up the initial cycle, so I can get it started faster than setting up completely from scratch, right?

Celestial Pearl Danios did great in a 10 gallon tank with shrimp for me.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

How about a low flow loach? I heard some hillstreams like high flow, but someone can probably name other kinds that like calmer waters.
Get a mystery snail for the shrimp to ride around!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Ember tetras are really active little fish and not fussy to feed at all (food just has to be crushed small) and would have a hard time predating on shrimp due to size.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

How about a low flow loach? I heard some hillstreams like high flow, but someone can probably name other kinds that like calmer waters.
Get a mystery snail for the shrimp to ride around!

I've got four different snails in my main tank right now and I am fiending for more without having to deal with offspring, so a mystery snail in this tank is an absolute given

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

That's a tough ask, hatching out just a couple snails.
Oops, got hundreds.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I stuffed about 20 young guppies in my 150g unheated container pond but I suspect they may have all been eaten by the shubunkin goldfish. I guess that’s one way of dealing with guppy overpopulation

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

10gal (or even 5gal) is an excellent size for neocaridinia (the Blue Dreams I added at the end of June have been having a ton of babies of late) but it’s too small for a bamboo shrimp that needs like 2-3x more water volume to filter feed from

Pity, I loved seeing the little buggers filter feed. Could it otherwise work in a smaller tank with daily feeding, e.g. powdered leaves and spirula.

I will give neocaridinias a try, my kid would really want a shrimp. (Well, he really wants small lobsters, but apparently they like to snip off fins so they can eat the subsequent fish corpses.)

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rated PG-34 posted:

I stuffed about 20 young guppies in my 150g unheated container pond but I suspect they may have all been eaten by the shubunkin goldfish. I guess that’s one way of dealing with guppy overpopulation

a handful hitch hiked into mine with the duckweed I was scooping out of my guppy tank to feed to my comets. The guppies still show up when I feed the pond, so :shrug: life, uh, finds a way?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

B33rChiller posted:

a handful hitch hiked into mine with the duckweed I was scooping out of my guppy tank to feed to my comets. The guppies still show up when I feed the pond, so :shrug: life, uh, finds a way?

fed the pond just now and saw one guppy so they're not all dead at least.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Got some plant fertilizer for my tank (Seachem Flourish) and noticed it has trace amounts of copper. Given that my tank(s) have shrimp and snails, that sketches me out. Googling says that it should be "fine" but I'd really rather not chance it. Is there a goon-recommended plant fertilizer?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Sockser posted:

Got some plant fertilizer for my tank (Seachem Flourish) and noticed it has trace amounts of copper. Given that my tank(s) have shrimp and snails, that sketches me out. Googling says that it should be "fine" but I'd really rather not chance it. Is there a goon-recommended plant fertilizer?

Aquarium Coop Easy Green works well for me.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Sockser posted:

Could go the all natural route, and just occasionally toss a salmon head in there.
Assuming you have a thousand gallon display tank, right?
That much rotting meat might cause problems in smaller setups. Feel like setting up a constant flow, continuous water change system?

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 21, 2023

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I use Seachem Flourish and I have to manually cull snails all the time, it definitely isn’t killing my snails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Warbadger posted:

Aquarium Coop Easy Green works well for me.

I use it too! I need a mystery or nerites. So far, the fish seem fine. I want a few hillstream loaches, skrimps and maybe a goby bro.