Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

blast from past.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUb18MWdphI
the passage of time is amazing. (also makes me feel old now :ohdear:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

dr_rat posted:

I do love that they made half the game pretty much a secrete. Didn't Ghoul's n Ghost straight up just make you replay the entire game again to complete it?

Yes, but at least it was for a good reason.

To make you spend more quarters.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/7hdIu8g.gifv

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The best map reuse was Gothic -> Gothic 2. Returning to the mine was so incredible.

Elex -> Elex 2 is a close second for me, though the changes were a bit too substantial. However, seeing the desert changed to a lush forest was really cool.

e: Risen 2 -> Risen 3 also did it partially. I sense a pattern here.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

I've had a friend pass away, never seeing his "investment" come to fruition. I wonder how many elder whales have already died before they ever see their Banus and Idrises spawn.

quote:

Guys die everyday. So what ?
Buy here, die tomorrow, same fate.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Finding out that the entire Pokemon red/blue region was in gold/silver was mind-blowing as a kid.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I've said it before: apex predator gotta apex.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Sardonik posted:

Finding out that the entire Pokemon red/blue region was in gold/silver was mind-blowing as a kid.

Saaammee. I remember being so sad that I was almost finished the game and then... nope

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Adam Savage Tested printed and built a rad model from Star Citizen :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuM_1xSQCFw

I bet Bethesda's money was better spent sponsoring this vid than the Croblers investment in totally organic 'not a clan it's a movement' Rexzilla's precisely 1 year contract

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

The cuteness triples every second.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I feel like we are in a serious drought if ha ha in this state of the cig drama

Someone please find some more hilarity

Is the game still removed from the store ?

Are the whales not concerned ?

Note I am way too lazy to look this info up myself and be exposed to the whale virus

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Browsed their reddit for shits and giggles, their top posts right now are arguing over how long this is taking, a photoshop of one dude asking where is his Banu ship and one asking to stop posting about Starfield lol

There's a lot of screenshots, cause you know you gotta show off that $500 ship lol

doesn't seem like there's an out of the norm drama or scandal going on right now though

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

A project so poo poo that you can’t even lol at it anymore. Croberts killing the laughs is his worst crime

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Pledge store range too small posted:

For the last 2 months I have jumped into the pledge store to pick up some new kit and there is nothing left for me to buy. It's just the same small selection of ships.

Reclaimer, Mole, vulture, Connie range, cutlass black, rova and freelancer range etc.

Do we really need 3 different freelancers and 3 different Connys? At least the Connie's have a slightly different use case but freelancers people will use for cargo probaly. I'm not interested in buying all 6 because they are all too similar. One Connie and one freelancer is plenty.

I know there has been some other stuff in there but my payday hasn't lined up with the dates.

I like to spend 200-500 a month on games and other games are getting the sales because there is nothing for me to buy here.

So I have a request.

Can all flyable ships under $1,000 please be available year round? I think this will smooth out sales and it will get more sales overall. There are probably other people like me who jump on to buy ships each month at payday but can't buy anything because its a very small range of stock.

To reduce clutter you could rotate variants each month in the slot of the base model.

Week 1 - cutlass black, freelancer maxx, conn taur
Week 2 - cutlass red, freelancer duo, conn andro
Week 3 - cutlass steel , freelancer maxx, con taur
Week 4 - cutlass blue , freelancer , con aquilla

I know the 2 annual events are where CIG puts everything on the table but perhaps it could be changed - those two events could instead have :-

1. Warbond versions of all ships (fresh cash but at a discount)

2. All concept ships

3. All limited release hull number ships

4. Package deals on multi ships.

5. All flyable ships over $1,000

6. Insurance upgrades

This means that the two events are still special because there are discounts and because the concept and bigger ships are all available.

And it also means that collectors like me can keep supporting the game. I want to support the game but the game won't let me make a purchase until October.

At the next big event I'm still only spending $500 max on the event because I'll spend my gaming budget each month - I don't do waiting for 6 months so what this means is that from here on in I'll likely only be supporting 1k a year to the project when I could be supporting 6k a year.

CIG by restricting their range are giving 5k a year to their competitors.

If there are other people are like me then that's 5k a year x lots of people that CIG are not capturing as revenue.

I have never played a game where the company won't sell their full range of products. All other games have a big range to get sales.

Imagine if McDonald's only sold a big Mac year round but 2x a year they bought out their full range.

Yeah sure it will cause a big rush on those 2 dates but I bet lots of money for the rest of the year would be lost because people just buy food from other companies during the year. No one wants to eat more than a few big macs they want variety and that's why McDonald's sell a range to entice people year round.

TL;DR - please increase the ship range!

OP posted:

Its not that I like to splurge it's more that I set my budget each month and I have a compulsive need to allocate my budget perfectly each month.

I.e. save X , Invest Y, spend Z.

I like this game and the ships but there are alot of companies putting up content and I'll take the content today because I know next month I'll need to allocate a fresh set of funds.

The game isn't interesting enough for me to save for it its just a game.

I don't use credit cards or finance and I won't use savings on a game.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
What comedy show is still funny after 11 years?

The Simpsons are legendary at they managed 9-10 years.

The season with the snowflake goons, ryan archer, the yatch, and the Tickler in black, guest starring Derek Smart as himself was the peak. And that was like season 3 or 4o SC

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mirificus posted:

I have never played a game where the company won't sell their full range of products. All other games have a big range to get sales.

Lol, pretty much all modern super-earners run on FOMO.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

trucutru posted:

What comedy show is still funny after 11 years?

The Simpsons are legendary at they managed 9-10 years.

The season with the snowflake goons, ryan archer, the yatch, and the Tickler in black, guest starring Derek Smart as himself was the peak. And that was like season 3 or 4o SC

You’re right. The peak of lols was extremely loving funny and we should be glad of it

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

Mirificus posted:

Its not that I like to splurge it's more that I set my budget each month and I have a compulsive need to allocate my budget perfectly each month.

I.e. save X , Invest Y, spend Z.

Monthly investments: $500 on internet spaceship jpegs.

What can I say? I'm simply a bit of a budgeting perfectionist :shrug:

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Debating spending $30 on early access for Starfield and thinking why would I pay for early access? Not when I can spend $1,000's to wait a decade.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sardonik posted:

:hai:

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
In the latest St*rf**ld scandal news, apparently the main menu is too sparse.

(:negative:)

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Is that an actual concern, or a Stitizen concern?

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Randalor posted:

Is that an actual concern, or a Stitizen concern?

Other game devs are commenting about how if the main menu is sparse that it means that the Starfield devs just don't care about their game

It's pretty silly honestly but I think this is the biggest drama/concern about Starfield right now lol

edit: More details in this if you're interested

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

holtemon posted:

Other game devs are commenting about how if the main menu is sparse that it means that the Starfield devs just don't care about their game

It's pretty silly honestly but I think this is the biggest drama/concern about Starfield right now lol

That title screen is great. Simple and clean. What are they wanting?

Actually, I just realized it's literally the Skyrim title screen but with the options moved to the left hand side.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
People love to criticize Bethesda games well acting like Todd Howard personally slapped them in the face and yet will still play their games for hundreds of hours.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

... what the gently caress? It has New Game/Load Game/Settings/Quit and even something called Crew (credits?). Looks like everything you would expect to be in a main menu is there. Or do they mean the nice image? You may say it's a tad minimalist, but it's a nice image that works. Looks good, evokes the idea of looking down on a planet's dark side and the black and white look tasteful. It's perfectly fine as a main menu for a space RPG, WHAT AM I MISSING HERE?

Yes that last part was meant to be in all caps, I feel like I've lost my mind because people are melting down over that.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
No one tell them about the Jedi Fallen Order/Survivor or Elden Ring series of games and their menus.

They are clearly the shittiest games.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Did Bethesda get into some kind of controversy with people who complain about things being "woke" or something? That's the only way complaining about a main menu not being busy and complicated enough makes sense to me.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Randalor posted:

... what the gently caress? It has New Game/Load Game/Settings/Quit and even something called Crew (credits?). Looks like everything you would expect to be in a main menu is there. Or do they mean the nice image? You may say it's a tad minimalist, but it's a nice image that works. Looks good, evokes the idea of looking down on a planet's dark side and the black and white look tasteful. It's perfectly fine as a main menu for a space RPG, WHAT AM I MISSING HERE?

Yes that last part was meant to be in all caps, I feel like I've lost my mind because people are melting down over that.

One of the guiding principles of my life is, "No matter what you do someone is going to bitch."

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i mean, its fine, but its also pretty low effort.

space game X4 uses panning in-engine scenes with spaceships flying around
top-rated Baldur's Gate 3 uses a fantasy city view that transitions (when the player clicks) into a scene of an adventuring party descending into a hellish dungeon

both are pretty effective at setting the mood

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Lammasu posted:

One of the guiding principles of my life is, "No matter what you do someone is going to bitch."

That's fair, though usually bitching doesn't reach "Articles being written about the drama and the bitching". Or is that just an AI article and I missed some obvious signifiers.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

holtemon posted:

To be clear, by "other game devs", it's really just a post by Mark "I was relevant once but then i spent 3 million dollars on a bus to promote firefall and got ran out of my company and now I just argue with people on twitter" Kern.

Oh and if you're interested you can subscribe to his game that is being developed and by subscribe I mean they will send you a picture of some characters every month because I guess selling jpegs is all the rage now? Wow this is super relevant in this thread for some reason :v:

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden

Cutedge posted:

To be clear, by "other game devs", it's really just a post by Mark "I was relevant once but then i spent 3 million dollars on a bus to promote firefall and got ran out of my company and now I just argue with people on twitter" Kern.

Oh and if you're interested you can subscribe to his game that is being developed and by subscribe I mean they will send you a picture of some characters every month because I guess selling jpegs is all the rage now? Wow this is super relevant in this thread for some reason :v:

Lol nice. Appreciate the clearing up part, i had it in my head for some reason more devs were talking poo poo about the start screen but the Bethesda guy only replied to this one in particular

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Why are they upset that there's space in the title screen for space?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Isn't that the guy who is obsessed wit loli navels or something?

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

Azubah posted:

Why are they upset that there's space in the title screen for space?

It was one of two things:
1. he was trying to have a big-brain take about how smrt he is about ui and how allegedly it was a bad lazy start screen (it looks fine, good even. it's just minimalistic) which is backed up by him saying that he has more views on game development than "99% of traditional game dev 'wisdom'"
2. he was trolling, which is backed up by him later saying something about "xbots"

So yeah, I guess it was both actually.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
SQ42 doesn’t exist so it’s going to forever be worse than Starfield, but Starfield is going to be total and complete Bethesda style rear end

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

i am a moron posted:

SQ42 doesn’t exist so it’s going to forever be worse than Starfield, but Starfield is going to be total and complete Bethesda style rear end

It will be the most 7/10 game ever, but there will be a never-ending well of busywork and identical tasks in a game that prioritises volume of content over satisfying mechanics and gamefeel so people who like skinner boxes with high fidelity graphics will play for thousands of hours.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

It will be a game, which is more than can be said of Squadron 42.

While I'm absolutely sure there will be tons of Bethesda jank baked into the engine, I'm also sure Starfield will have quests and gameplay and just generally things to do, and places to explore, which is more than can be said of Star Citizen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Any comparison between SC and [insert other space game] is moot imo if the other game hasn’t shilled thousands of dollars out of whales for features that is nowhere in sight. Starfield isn’t released yet so I guess it’s theoretically possible that everyone who pre-ordered will get a jpg. with the words “dreams” scribbled on it instead of a game but I doubt it.