Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

slidebite posted:

Have they lost any sponsors?

No one is going to put that info out publicly at this point.

I was surprised D-Brand made any comment at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Coffee Jones posted:

I think all Gamer’s Nexus did was give their employees a thing to rally around.
If this was a regular issue that could be handled internally they could just slow down, post videos every other day, etc. A few people would be mad, but to the outside world nothing really changes.

Actually shutting down releases for a few days for internal issues is SERIOUS. No ad reads = actual lost income. They must have had an actual employee revolt with resignations threatened from key people.

not necessarily true, iirc the timing, it was shut down on the heels of Linus getting easily caught out in a lie during his initial attempts at damage control + Madison sharing her story, so given what appeared to be a rapidly spiraling PR disaster it probably made sense to halt things and re-assess the videos in the pipeline while they figured out their approach and avoided any further metaphorical car doors slamming into their dicks by putting out content with incorrect data/no (or too much/the wrong) acknowledgement of the present situation/something that would cheese off sponsors/etc.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

slidebite posted:

Have they lost any sponsors?

I don't think any have publicly cut ties with them. The closest so far is DBrand posting a Twitter/X thread where they strongly imply they will cut ties if things don't improve but don't say it outright. It's quite possible that other sponsors have cut ties but aren't advertising it to avoid the wrath of the LTT community, or just because they don't want to bring attention to their previous association with LTT.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Coffee Jones posted:

They must have had an actual employee revolt with resignations threatened from key people.
The very least Linus would have seen some of the complaints of that video he vowed not to watch, by Steve quoting them. So he can't act oblivious in that regard. Assuming that he actually watched that GN video eventually. Which then again assumes a whole lot in his case.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Mr.Radar posted:

I don't think any have publicly cut ties with them. The closest so far is DBrand posting a Twitter/X thread where they strongly imply they will cut ties if things don't improve but don't say it outright. It's quite possible that other sponsors have cut ties but aren't advertising it to avoid the wrath of the LTT community, or just because they don't want to bring attention to their previous association with LTT.

Yeah, we are very much in the Wait and See phase of relationship review.

If they don't do the bare minimum we might actually see some of their larger sponsors publicly cut ties to distance themselves. If they make the necessary changes you'll probably only find out who left when they no longer place ads.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

kliras posted:

you also have to remember that every sponsor that makes products ltt review are now dragged into the noctua shitshow, so it's also going to force some sponsors to juggle doing spots and not having reviews of their products invalidated by conflicts of interest. i'm sure they're delighted

What happened with Noctua?
I've been following this thread for a few days but I don't remember anything with Noctua.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

LGD posted:

avoided any further metaphorical car doors slamming into their dicks by putting out content with incorrect data/no

I guess there’s a content pipeline that goes Research/Benchmarking -> Script Writing -> Recording -> Editing/Post Production

The GN video was talking about how many errors get caught in post and are patched up with little asterisk notes because there’s no time to do retakes, and bad data finds its way into the editors bar charts.

So yeah, I can see how if they have to flush that pipeline to reassess how that testing is done it’s going to be a few days.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Malaria posted:

I've been following this thread for a few days but I don't remember anything with Noctua.

LTT and Noctua have done cross-promotion of each other by making products in each other's color schemes (Noctua previously made fans with LTT's orange color and LTT is currently making screwdrivers in Noctua's tan and brown colors). That's mildly problematic when LTT is supposed to be objectively reviewing their fans or products which incorporate their fans (such as CPU coolers and cases).

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Malaria posted:

15:02 of the original video has you covered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGW3TPytTjc&t=902s

basically extremely sloppy benchmarking/results that call into question why their mistakes ended up painting noctua's cooler more favourably. a cooler they themselves have a co-branded product with (D15 Chromax.black)

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Malaria posted:

Noctua had an LTT branded fan:

and LTT is doing a Noctua coloured screwdriver:
https://www.lttstore.com/products/noctua-screwdriver

These aren't new announcements, but don't look great when you're supposed to be a technology review company.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Malaria posted:

One of the key points of the GN video was that linus recommended their sponsor and gear partner noctua's products in situations where they based on ltt's own test data didn't work.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Combat Pretzel posted:

The very least Linus would have seen some of the complaints of that video he vowed not to watch, by Steve quoting them. So he can't act oblivious in that regard. Assuming that he actually watched that GN video eventually. Which then again assumes a whole lot in his case.

There’s a great clip of Linus admitting he essentially never watches videos, he only skims the Youtube comments for context and Luke’s exasperation about this

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Abroham Lincoln posted:

There’s a great clip of Linus admitting he essentially never watches videos, he only skims the Youtube comments for context and Luke’s exasperation about this
It's also pretty clear he didn't watch the GN video from his responses, making a correction that they auctioned the block, not sold (even though the video said auctioned) and how were they supposed to know Billet didn't want the cost of the block to be made public?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

At this point I’d be surprised if Linus wasn’t ignoring any GN videos, etc.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Unless Linus is severely hosed up and the sort of person who shoots the messenger upon receiving any bad news, there is Nothing that an outside commenter can point out that Linus isn’t already aware of. The fact that quality is slipping is one of those publicly visible ‘Tip Of The Iceberg’ issues that people on the outside notice that just provide evidence of a hundred other internal issues.

The fact that they’ve shut down production is just the result of a dozen other things that had to have gone wrong before they got to this state. Sure the sexual harassment thing is gross, and the quality issues are something to address, but to shut down means the bottom line is being hit, and no date for when they’d be back is a sign that all hell must have broken loose at LTT’s offices. If you’re wondering why things fail dramatically from the outside, it’s a ‘straw that breaks the camels back’ situation - no point in trying to litigate that last straw, look at the system that brought about that failure.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Aug 21, 2023

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
They are only shut down for a week unless something changed.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
My favorite part about the 7 day shutdown is that it's just going to result in even more crunch trying to catch up on various goals, financial and otherwise.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

SourKraut posted:

At this point I’d be surprised if Linus wasn’t ignoring any GN videos, etc.

I think the fact that he's likely completely unable to disengage and ignore things that potentially even tangentially mention him is part of the problem.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Llamadeus posted:

It's also pretty clear he didn't watch the GN video from his responses
Bold strategy when making a direct response video.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Not bothering to learn anything about the material he's talking about is so unlike Linus. Who can forget all the memorable videos where he showed up fully prepared, like

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

CBD Corndog posted:

Noctua had an LTT branded fan:

and LTT is doing a Noctua coloured screwdriver:
https://www.lttstore.com/products/noctua-screwdriver

These aren't new announcements, but don't look great when you're supposed to be a technology review company.

Again, I do really wonder how long they can be called a tech review company the more they do co-branded products, let alone original, custom manufacturing. Like, they're in the middle of doing their own precision screwdriver dev now too, and yet iFixIt was/is a sponsor of their channels. Again, at which point are the Labs actually just industrial espionage in plain site? Like, "ah gee, after testing so many different [insert product vertical]s, we've found either 1) no one makes a good version of this product, so we're applying what we learned and reinvesting in the company to do it right for you; or 2) this particular product excelled in all of these tests, so we're not just calling it a must buy, but partnering with them for a special LTT edition with even better specs."

Seriously, there's no way around the fact that as it stands, there's not just sufficient walls between "serious review," "computer Jackass" and "retail product creation" in that company such that any one looking to have their product reviewed by them can know what the company's intent will be by covering the product.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Isn't one of their sponsors a waterblock company?

I don't want to sound :tinfoil: but if someone inside LMG came out and said that Linus intentionally hosed up the Billet Labs waterblock review and refused to give it a fair review while still calling it crap to stay on a sponsor's good side, I wouldn't give Linus the benefit of doubt at this point.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

c355n4 posted:

Do be aware, 88 is seen as very lucky in the Chinese language/culture. This may account for those real estate prices as there is a large Chinese population in BC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/88_(number)

Yah that’s what I was saying, lol. Very aware.

Also 4 is bad

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Randalor posted:

Isn't one of their sponsors a waterblock company?

I don't want to sound :tinfoil: but if someone inside LMG came out and said that Linus intentionally hosed up the Billet Labs waterblock review and refused to give it a fair review while still calling it crap to stay on a sponsor's good side, I wouldn't give Linus the benefit of doubt at this point.

To be fair, GN also has a lot of sponsor spots for products in the same category that they review, and they sometimes even do sponsor spots for products they've positively reviewed, which presents a clear conflict of interest. The biggest differences here is that GN doesn't enter into business partnerships for GN-branded products with these companies, and Steve has talked a lot about how they want to eventually move away from being sponsored by the hardware companies they review, while Linus seems to have no problem continuing these relationships.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
steve also considered doing gn cases - perhaps by buying some caselabs rights - but realized that it would basically mean having to stop doing reviews of other case models, so they picked the latter over the former

the point steve made in his ltt video was more the fact that there were egregious errors to begin with, which leads one to obviously wonder what caused them. gn are not in the habit of doing that, and conflicts of interest are obviously also a spectrum

i also didn't buy hwub's podcast episode's argument where they said having their trip to taiwan (computex?) paid by msi wasn't a major conflict of interest, because they still go hard on them in reviews or something like that. "at least they don't do as bad a job as ltt" is damning with faint praise, but suffice to say you write a check you need to cash with your credibility, and ltt is screwed on both of those accounts

kliras fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 21, 2023

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Bondematt posted:

They are only shut down for a week unless something changed.

From their "apology" video, Yvonne's section at the start:

quote:

Effective immediately all YouTube video production is on pause, and our teams are going to be spending this entire next week focusing on long-term workflow changes to make our content better in a lasting way. *first time 12 years blah* But improving to the degree that we want and need is going to take more than a week. So I'll be working with Taryn and Colton to manage our sponsor commitments and the financial hit of both this housekeeping week, and a reduction in our LTT upload schedule. At least for now, while we get our house in order.

It could be a week they are not uploading anything, could be more. Considering they pushed out that microphone video the day after the GN video went up (which I'm sure they would brush off as "well it was scheduled"), who knows.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?

Ultraklystron posted:

Again, I do really wonder how long they can be called a tech review company

How much have they been considered a tech review company in general even before this whole debacle? My understanding was that they were trying to push towards becoming viewed as a review outlet with their whole labs things but were currently known more as a tech entertainment channel.

Reviews seem to be a minority of their posts, with a lot of their posts being more along the lines of "Look at this janky solution we came up with". Whether building a PC with parts from wish or water cooling using a car radiator, there is a lot of non-serious content. That or just streams of building a PC in general. I enjoyed watching their entertainment stuff but I always went elsewhere for my actual reviews.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I thought they would spin them off, both FloatPlane and Labs.

They would have the media group create content, "paying" the labs for test results, and then Floatplane would "buy" the content to sell to their paying subscribers as well as making their own content just for FloatPlane, perhaps selling that content back to the media group for use on Youtube, etc.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I came by here after I heard about this whole situation elsewhere and I don't know who any of these people are but holy lol

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

TheGreySpectre posted:

How much have they been considered a tech review company in general even before this whole debacle? My understanding was that they were trying to push towards becoming viewed as a review outlet with their whole labs things but were currently known more as a tech entertainment channel.

Reviews seem to be a minority of their posts, with a lot of their posts being more along the lines of "Look at this janky solution we came up with". Whether building a PC with parts from wish or water cooling using a car radiator, there is a lot of non-serious content. That or just streams of building a PC in general. I enjoyed watching their entertainment stuff but I always went elsewhere for my actual reviews.

True, they've always had a breadth of content that leaned heavily towards yolo/send it entertainment, but between ShortCircuit theoretically going from an unboxing channel with light reviews to something they intended to make more quantified via the labs (and which they had been introducing labs measurements in regularly,) and the increasing attempts to make their review content on their main channel more data driven when it came to product launches at least, even though it's very fair to say that serious reviews are not where they came from, it's a large part of where they were heading, at least on paper. They make too much of their own stuff already though to rule out that it wasn't just a cover for a pivot to being more of a manufacturer than having more serious review offerings.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kliras posted:

i also didn't buy hwub's podcast episode's argument where they said having their trip to taiwan (computex?) paid by msi wasn't a major conflict of interest, because they still go hard on them in reviews or something like that. "at least they don't do as bad a job as ltt" is damning with faint praise, but suffice to say you write a check you need to cash with your credibility, and ltt is screwed on both of those accounts
Car reviews do this basically all of the time and it's pretty disconcerting.

"Ferrari flew me to Italy and paid for a week of luxury accommodation and food while I drove the car. All opinions are my own and not reviewed or approved Ferrari. But also if I poo poo on it in any way, I never ever get another paid vacation for driving one of their cars"

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA17Xz_yauo

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Aug 21, 2023

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Dog whistles are very practical in the way that once pointed out, if one adheres to the dog whistle's ethos, one can kramer in and start questioning the mental health of the person who pointed the dog whistle out.

Not everything is a dog whistle and being terminally online to the point where you see them everywhere, instead of say, putting sponsors boxes on a shelf to maximise space and be in view, is not healthy. Feel free to kramer yourself out or w/e.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

mobby_6kl posted:

"Ferrari flew me to Italy and paid for a week of luxury accommodation and food while I drove the car. All opinions are my own and not reviewed or approved Ferrari. But also if I poo poo on it in any way, I never ever get another paid vacation for driving one of their cars"

I'll be honest I don't expect anyone to say a bad thing about ferraris anyway because they're in the class of ur-veblengoods where even if it sucks you're still going to say you love it

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

mobby_6kl posted:

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA17Xz_yauo

Comments are full of “wow! What a great professional review!”

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Malaria posted:

Noctua is a sponsor, and LMG and Noctua have some co-branded items.

Linus also said, in a video, that the D15 was an amazing cooler that could handle anything that was thrown at it, and that all of their test benches use D15s.

In subsequent videos, it was shown that test benches equipped with D15s were thermally throttling under heavy CPU workloads. Not only does this invalidate literally every CPU-limited test done on those platforms, it made it pretty clear that LMG valued the sponsorship above actual proper test procedures and results.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

wait so has the nh-d15 been a bad CPU cooler this whole time or something?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The D15 a perfectly fine cooler in many situations.

However, it's a relatively old design at this point and no longer suitable for top-end CPUs. You know, the type of CPU you'd want in a test bench to ensure it's not a bottleneck when testing GPUs or other components.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

more realistically it shows they don't even properly apply coolers to their own production machines

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VostokProgram posted:

wait so has the nh-d15 been a bad CPU cooler this whole time or something?

It's more like "thermally limited boost" -- current gen CPUs will now boost until they hit 90-95C or power/voltage limits. If you have more cooling power you can boost more & maintain that longer. The biggest monster CPUs, a 7950 or 13900K, will be thermally limited by even a D15.

The D15 is still a great air cooler and the difference here is inaccurate review benchmarks not crippled performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I have a D15 on my 5800X3D and it's fine. If I was buying now I'd get a peerless assassin because it's almost as good and costs less than half, and if I had a beefier CPU with more cores I'd get a CLC liquid cooler.