Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mawarannahr posted:

yeah, one of his first movies is about being multiracial

It's really good too, it was one of the first things I got when I first subbed to disc Netflix back in like 2002. Rip to Netflix hooking me up with all kinds of cool weird poo poo I couldn't find at the video store I worked at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Just wait til you hear what Michael Keaton's real name is

Peter Stormare's real name is Rolf Storm and he changed it for the same reason

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Cease to Hope posted:

Peter Stormare's real name is Rolf Storm and he changed it for the same reason
I had a "Rolf Storm" last week after this dodgy burrito.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Someone in this meeting keeps pronouncing "briefings" and "briefers."

"Okay, so we are going to schedule some briefers for next week. I'll distribute the briefs for the briefers via email this week."

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

How is the US somehow getting even more weird and prudish about sex over time?

There's a big backlash from kids who grew up with internet p*** freaking out about having to watch sex scenes in movies with their parents.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

All the kids are virgin vape enthusiasts now.

The worst of all possible outcomes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

They are bringing chewing tobacco and JNCOs back too.

Come on, youths. Do better!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I hope they got Abe Vigoda back.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1694039589411856689

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

by god, no on asked for this

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

All the kids are virgin vape enthusiasts now.

The worst of all possible outcomes.

the zoomers are in touch with the earth and instinctively trying to fix over population. we should salute them

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

by god, no on asked for this

I did in high school in 1997.

God must have finally got my letters.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/NYCMayorsOffice/status/1693968049580171583

Computer, enhance:

Enhance:

ENHANCE:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
that sure is a bunch of links to stuff on twitter

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cease to Hope posted:

that sure is a bunch of links to stuff on twitter

Those are imgur links to digitally enhanced photos of Mayor of New York donning a kippah and "hustle" bracelet to pray at the western wall.

If you right click, then you can see the site that is hosting them.

I used Imgur because it was the easiest. I used the Microsoft snipping tool and magnifying lens features to generate the enhanced images.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
wasn't he a cop before becoming mayor? do we generally want the police force hustling?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

wasn't he a cop before becoming mayor? do we generally want the police force hustling?

He is a weirdo with a pretty wild life story.

- Was a gang member.

- His parents had a third-grade education and he lived in a rat-infested tenement (which lead to his current hatred of rats and vows to kill all of them in NYC).

- He briefly worked for a prostitute named "Micki" as her assistant when he was 14. He stole her TV after she refused to pay him one week.

- Got arrested and saw his friend brutally beaten by the police.

- Was diagnosed with PTSD after the beating incident, sued, and became a cop to try and reform the NYPD from within.

- Gave up and became a weird health guru who believes in using the power of positive thinking and veganism to cure everything (claims it cured his diabetes and PTSD).

- Became the Borough President of Brooklyn and then Mayor after three other major candidates all dropped out for various crazy scandals.

He was also briefly a body guard for Mike Tyson and got in trouble in the 90's because he told a Puerto Rican guy running for Mayor that he was taking the Latino vote for granted because his policies ignored them and he married a Jewish woman instead of a Puerto Rican.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

NYPD Hustle: Lessons from the New York Police to grow your business

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

He is a weirdo with a pretty wild life story.

- Was a gang member.

- His parents had a third-grade education and he lived in a rat-infested tenement (which lead to his current hatred of rats and vows to kill all of them in NYC).

- He briefly worked for a prostitute named "Micki" as her assistant when he was 14. He stole her TV after she refused to pay him one week.

- Got arrested and saw his friend brutally beaten by the police.

- Was diagnosed with PTSD after the beating incident, sued, and became a cop to try and reform the NYPD from within.

- Gave up and became a weird health guru who believes in using the power of positive thinking and veganism to cure everything (claims it cured his diabetes and PTSD).

- Became the Borough President of Brooklyn and then Mayor after three other major candidates all dropped out for various crazy scandals.

He was also briefly a body guard for Mike Tyson and got in trouble in the 90's because he told a Puerto Rican guy running for Mayor that he was taking the Latino vote for granted because his policies ignored them and he married a Jewish woman instead of a Puerto Rican.

i don't know how some people manage, just reading this made me feel tired. it does put the rat hatred into better context

Cease to Hope posted:

NYPD Hustle: Lessons from the New York Police to grow your business

lesson 1: kill or arrest your competitors

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
when the dadchat cabal moves to unseat me, i politely request that you shoot me with the anti-aircraft missile while i'm on a walk for a more spectacular visual

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I think its weird and kind of exploitative that humans celebrate Shark Week, but sharks don't.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

how do you know they don't

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tesseraction posted:

how do you know they don't

Animal Planet doesn't broadcast underwater. Probably because of a licensing deal.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

so in other words merely applying your human perspective upon creatures of the sea

typical

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

What the hell is the Scrooge horse thing?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

It's Manny. He's an intern.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Animal Planet doesn't broadcast underwater. Probably because of a licensing deal.

Unlike the NFL they still have the blackout rule, and sharks are the home team

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

yesterday i found out michael richards isn't jewish and it's like the earth crumbled beneath my feet. although now i can attribute his racist rant to the people to whom it belongs, the italians

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

TikTok is absolutely crushing me by having huge trending videos where millions of people discover - and are blown away - that MTV used to just show music videos, Lilith Fair existed, and that Miley Cyrus is actually copying Madonna.

I'm shivering because the cold hand of death is nearly touching my shoulder.

https://twitter.com/katienotopoulos/status/1694400837731197001

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Cable Guy gets a lot of flack, but it is actually pretty good.

I think most of the backlash was just because people were upset that Jim Carrey was playing a deranged villain instead of a wacky hero.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

He played a deranged villain in Batman, too, and

Oh, I see.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
He'd done like a half dozen moves in the previous two years that also had him doing the same hyped-up, off-the-wall shtick. Cable Guy looked like it might be something different but wasn't. I haven't felt the need to revisit it but I imagine it benefits from being divorced from Peak Carrey.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
although i guess time has sapped the joke of Liar Liar, where the protagonist's life is being ruined because he can't not be jim carrey

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The Cable Guy is great and has aged better than either Ace Ventura. Although the rhino scene in Ace Ventura 2 is a masterclass in physical comedy.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Cable Guy also had a completely wild cast that most people forget about.

- Jim Carrey
- Matthew Broderick
- Leslie Mann
- Jack Black
- Ben Stiller
- Owen Wilson
- Janeane Garofalo
- David Cross
- Bob Odenkirk
- George Segal

Andy Dick was there too.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I was going to say it was back in the days when you could see a movie with Leslie Mann in it that wasn't a Judd Apatow movie, but I just checked and Judd Apatow was actually a producer on The Cable Guy and Ben Stiller was the director.

I forgot that The Cable Guy was one of Ben Stiller's rare stints as a director.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Cable Guy also had a completely wild cast that most people forget about.

also judd apatow writing and producing

the reason nobody remembers them is that most of them weren't famous yet, or were start starting out, or mainly worked on tv. apatow worked with ben stiller on tv and brought him in, then ben stiller brought in a bunch of his friends from standup comedy and tv.

eh, like four or five movies isn't that few, and at least one and a half of them were good. he was just so ubiquitous as an actor for ages that it seems like it.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 25, 2023

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

TikTok is absolutely crushing me by having huge trending videos where millions of people discover - and are blown away - that MTV used to just show music videos, Lilith Fair existed, and that Miley Cyrus is actually copying Madonna.

I'm shivering because the cold hand of death is nearly touching my shoulder.

https://twitter.com/katienotopoulos/status/1694400837731197001

I have a cousin my age (in his 40s) who is on tiktok and I just asked him if he's seen any of this. I'm past the point of feeling old when I see stuff like this but it's very funny seeing people just discovering MTV history. I am firmly in the MTV generation and I miss the good old days of Headbanger's Ball, 120 Minutes, No Repeat Repeat Repeat Repeat Monday, Remote Control, and all the VJs I grew up with. It's interesting seeing young people be fascinated by all of the stuff I grew up with

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I still die a little inside when I remember that Kurt Loder is almost 80 years old and Kennedy is only known as a Fox News commentator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I was going to say it was back in the days when you could see a movie with Leslie Mann in it that wasn't a Judd Apatow movie, but I just checked and Judd Apatow was actually a producer on The Cable Guy and Ben Stiller was the director.

Heavyweights is better

No I will not watch it again