Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Car reviews do this basically all of the time and it's pretty disconcerting.

"Ferrari flew me to Italy and paid for a week of luxury accommodation and food while I drove the car. All opinions are my own and not reviewed or approved Ferrari. But also if I poo poo on it in any way, I never ever get another paid vacation for driving one of their cars"

ArsTechnica does this with their luxury car coverage and it’s pretty funny to see. The comments section is always mad they’re not reviewing Nissan Versas but they’re not the ones paying for day trips to San Diego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Thanks for all the info re:Noctua everyone!

Also I didn't know that about the D15. That's interesting.

I almost bought the D15 for my current rig but ended going with a BeQuiet! Cooler that seems to work really good, and it's...quieter. But my cpu isn't as crazy as something brand new that would throttle anyway. It's a 5600x.

Thos thread has been interesting and I've found some new YouTube channels to follow.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

ijyt posted:

Not everything is a dog whistle and being terminally online to the point where you see them everywhere, instead of say, putting sponsors boxes on a shelf to maximise space and be in view, is not healthy. Feel free to kramer yourself out or w/e.
Dude you are ranting about people pointing out something that might be problematic, but everyone agrees could also just be coincidence. Chill out and touch grass yourself instead of trying to clap back and accuse people of mental illness constantly.

The amount you care about denying dog whistles and being anti-woke or whatever your deal is is way above what the rest of us care about it and I'm the one that brought it up in the first place.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't think being terminally online is in the DSM yet

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

They can take out being trans and gay and replace it with being basically trans and gay

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

I'll be honest I don't expect anyone to say a bad thing about ferraris anyway because they're in the class of ur-veblengoods where even if it sucks you're still going to say you love it
It's pretty similar with other cars where they'll pay for your whole experience. See the Civic video I edited in. Ferraris was just and example because they're particularly notorious for loving anyone over for driving them wrong or having bad opinions etc.

Bloopsy posted:

Comments are full of “wow! What a great professional review!”
:thejoke:

Tiny Timbs posted:

ArsTechnica does this with their luxury car coverage and it’s pretty funny to see. The comments section is always mad they’re not reviewing Nissan Versas but they’re not the ones paying for day trips to San Diego.
Yeah I saw that happen too. I get that a (relatively) small tech site doesn't have the budget to buy their own cars and as long as it's clearly disclosed then :shrug: but any kind of evaluation is always suspect when continued access to review cars is dependent on not pissing off the manufacturers. Same with the tech gadgets obviously.

Tiny Timbs posted:

It should be!

quote:

A mental disorder is characterized by a clinically significant disturbance in an individual’s cognition, emotional regulation, or behaviour. It is usually associated with distress or impairment in important areas of functioning.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 22, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

To be fair, GN also has a lot of sponsor spots for products in the same category that they review, and they sometimes even do sponsor spots for products they've positively reviewed, which presents a clear conflict of interest. The biggest differences here is that GN doesn't enter into business partnerships for GN-branded products with these companies, and Steve has talked a lot about how they want to eventually move away from being sponsored by the hardware companies they review, while Linus seems to have no problem continuing these relationships.

It reminds me of how GN was covering the Alder Lake IHS issue, and initially reviewed Thermal Grizzly’s solution, which was good if not a bit expensive, and I believe Thermal Grizzly is even a sponsor at times? Anyway, they then reviewed the Thermalright version that is a lot cheaper, and ultimately basically said that if you care about a few specific things, go with the Thermal Grizzly, but otherwise just go with the Thermalright since it’s a huge cost savings and does everything the Thermal Grizzly did.

Who knows how Linus would have reviewed it, but probably would have found a way to only push the sponsor’s product.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

SourKraut posted:

Who knows how Linus would have reviewed it, but probably would have found a way to only push the sponsor’s product.

I imagine Linus would have tried it on an AMD chip and then used a CNC and 3D printer to cobble something together that boots before giving it a poor review.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

mobby_6kl posted:

It's pretty similar with other cars where they'll pay for your whole experience. See the Civic video I edited in. Ferraris was just and example because they're particularly notorious for loving anyone over for driving them wrong or having bad opinions etc.

oh yeah that makes more sense

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I can't believe Linus snuck a swastika into the LTT logo. A truly damning dog whistle.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

SourKraut posted:

It reminds me of how GN was covering the Alder Lake IHS issue, and initially reviewed Thermal Grizzly’s solution, which was good if not a bit expensive, and I believe Thermal Grizzly is even a sponsor at times? Anyway, they then reviewed the Thermalright version that is a lot cheaper, and ultimately basically said that if you care about a few specific things, go with the Thermal Grizzly, but otherwise just go with the Thermalright since it’s a huge cost savings and does everything the Thermal Grizzly did.

Yeah thermal grizzly has sponsored them for years and they were totally upfront about it during those vids. IIRC the thermalright product was harder to use / quite fiddly so there was a legit reason to fence-sit on the recommendations.

Here's my GN critique: I think Steve's thing where companies who try to bribe / be unethical with him or other reviewers get the "you're dead to me" treatment is kinda over the top and maybe even a little self-serving. I agree that they should be called out and given a beatdown over it, but putting them in a zero-coverage blackhole doesn't serve the audience.

If I want to buy a product, I want to know the best product I can get for my money. Not the best product made by companies who have ethical PR departments* and good reviewer relationships. I think GN uses their righteous stand against this behavior to puff up their own rep as much as to effect any type of change in the industry.

*because this is none of them. The PR marketroids who try to bribe Steve aren't less ethical than the others, they're just more stupid.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Klyith posted:

Yeah thermal grizzly has sponsored them for years and they were totally upfront about it during those vids. IIRC the thermalright product was harder to use / quite fiddly so there was a legit reason to fence-sit on the recommendations.

You have that completely backwards

The Thermal Grizzly frame was significantly more difficult to use and required very specific installation instructions. This framed "floated" off of the board so great care had to be taken to ensure that the screws were tightened to the same level.

The Thermalright frame was dead simple to use since it backed right on to the motherboard.

The issue was that since the Thermalright frame backed right on to the motherboard, you pretty much had to trust that the company got the machining and tolerances correct. GN did show that there some machining issues with their samples, though they didn't seem to affect performance.

grack fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 22, 2023

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

SourKraut posted:

When I built my AM5 system I checked out more than a few comparisons of different name-brand thermal compounds. The price difference between Thermalright and TG's Kryonaut is about 3-4 dollars (1.5 and 1 gram respectively). So cost at that point really isn't much of an issue.

That said, even the best testing I saw putting Kryonaut versus others, the difference was 2-5c at best. Might help if you have a good cooler that just quite can't handle a modern CPU, but not much else. The main selling point of Kryonaut seems to be is that it (they claim) doesn't dry out over time/thermal cycles and there is no curing period.

Might you by chance be mixing thermal paste with a tower cooler? Thermalright is the maker of the Peerless Assassin dual-tower cooler, which become the budget king tower air cooler (seemingly replacing the Ventroo ones), as it is persistently half the price of most any other dual-tower cooler.

Edit - Ahh, it was the frame system that could be the issue. I don't really watch GN videos, so I didn't catch that is what the comparison was.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Thermal paste has always been one of those things where it's like "get one of the good ones, put it on right" for general applications because as long as you're not an extreme overclocker (and didn't install the cooler wrong or something) you're going to be so far in the safe range that the few degrees C won't matter.

e: that said the ads did make me buy thermalgrizzly when i couldn't find my existing tube when i was changing my 3700x to a 5800x3d. i found the existing tube before the grizzly got here so lol on me but having a spare unopened thermal paste tube isn't the worst thing in the world.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Aug 22, 2023

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

grack posted:

You have that completely backwards

The Thermal Grizzly frame was significantly more difficult to use and required very specific installation instructions. This framed "floated" off of the board so great care had to be taken to ensure that the screws were tightened to the same level.

The Thermalright frame was dead simple to use since it backed right on to the motherboard.

The issue was that since the Thermalright frame backed right on to the motherboard, you pretty much had to trust that the company got the machining and tolerances correct. GN did show that there some machining issues with their samples, though they didn't seem to affect performance.

Yeah, I actually looked at both and actually just put a Thermalright frame on, and I actually think that the pad that they use on each end actually helps a lot to essentially eliminate the tolerance differences, since it’s decently thick (with the extra benefit of making it non-conductive. I did make sure to end once I hit the “hard” stop resistance-wise.

Edit: Oh, and replacing the IHS around the i9-12900K with the Thermalright frame, actually dropped the idle temp a few about 4-5 deg C and the load temp by like 10 deg C, so it definitely made a difference.

Koskun posted:

When I built my AM5 system I checked out more than a few comparisons of different name-brand thermal compounds. The price difference between Thermalright and TG's Kryonaut is about 3-4 dollars (1.5 and 1 gram respectively). So cost at that point really isn't much of an issue.

That said, even the best testing I saw putting Kryonaut versus others, the difference was 2-5c at best. Might help if you have a good cooler that just quite can't handle a modern CPU, but not much else. The main selling point of Kryonaut seems to be is that it (they claim) doesn't dry out over time/thermal cycles and there is no curing period.

Might you by chance be mixing thermal paste with a tower cooler? Thermalright is the maker of the Peerless Assassin dual-tower cooler, which become the budget king tower air cooler (seemingly replacing the Ventroo ones), as it is persistently half the price of most any other dual-tower cooler.

Edit - Ahh, it was the frame system that could be the issue. I don't really watch GN videos, so I didn't catch that is what the comparison was.

Yeah, I was talking about the frame. When I was looking into them, the TG frame was about $40, while I could pick up the Thermalright for $12. I figured I’d give it a try and if I wasn’t comfortable once I received it, I’d just send it back and get the TG, but tolerance was fine and it seemed as if maybe they’ve improved the machining.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shugojin posted:

I'll be honest I don't expect anyone to say a bad thing about ferraris anyway because they're in the class of ur-veblengoods where even if it sucks you're still going to say you love it

mobby_6kl posted:

Jay Leno famously hates Ferrari and doesn't own any, and so do a number of notable well-heeled car collectors, or they only buy them second-hand outside of the company's network

They're actually worse than other luxury car companies because they have a whole "grovel for the dealer" "by invite only" anti-customer reputation which they have actively cultivated and courted for decades. Ferrari have this whole bullshit mystique about who gets to own their cars and who "properly represents the brand" and their official dealers have an obscene amount of leeway in deciding who to sell a particular car to. It's like licensed Rolex dealers except commensurately more money is being moved.

At the most basic level, Ferrari ownership is set up a bit like an MLM: in order to be invited/permitted to buy more expensive or limited cars, prospective customers have to buy cheaper "entry level" Ferraris first. It doesn't matter how much over sticker you're willing to pay, the dealer will ask you to buy and maybe trade back in other cars first. Your company just IPO'd and you've got your eye on a Daytona SP3 track car that you can now comfortably afford? Too bad. Your Ferrari owner score is too low (this is a real thing) and you'll have to be with the brand a bit longer before we can let you cut in line like that. Maybe if you got your wife a Purosangue as an early birthday gift, and picked yourself up an F8 or a Roma for daily driving, we might be able to bump you up into the waiting list.

And it goes way, way beyond that. Ferrari dealership owners get invited to customers' family weddings and holiday parties. They get expensive gifts- somebody in AI once posted a story about a dude buying bottles of Pappy Van Winkle for the entire sales and service staff at their local as a "thinking of you" gift- but I've heard of people giving poo poo as diverse as hot tubs and expensive watches and trips. They get labor and property work done under the table. They get timeshare and vacation home access. They get straight-up bribes. I'm sure dealers have hosed customers' spouses for allocations.

Like with the aforementioned Rolex example, it takes on the shape of this long-form BDSM relationship for a lot of these men who otherwise have everything. Even with millions of dollars, you still can't have it. It's too exclusive. What are you willing to do for it? How much palm greasing will it take? For guys who always get what they want it must be like a drug.

And as you might imagine, Ferrari's whole thing about "people who properly represent the brand" is entirely nebulous and fucky. Originally I guess it's supposed to mean poo poo like "not selling to open criminals or mafiosi", but in practice it historically could mean poo poo like "don't sell to rich black guys" and it still means "dealer gets final say in who gets to buy a car". During the early gangsta rap years, an artist having new rare Ferraris was a sign of particular wealth and well-connectedness, because there were a lot of rappers whom the company like straight up wouldn't sell certain cars to and so you had to get them grey market.

A big part of Lamborghini's ascendancy after the VW acquisition, and Porsche's establishment as a supercar company selling $300k+ cars, is simply them taking the radical approach of selling a car to anybody who asks assuming that they can finance it. Turns out you can sell a surprising number of supercars that way, but Ferrari isn't really in the business of selling cars. They're a race team and an aspirational lifestyle brand, and the legacy car business for rich assholes helps prop up the other two.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What’s funny is that Enzo Ferrari hated having to produce road cars so he would’ve absolutely loved the “you want these cars? Go gently caress yourself” policy.

(See also the other side of “Ford vs Ferrari”: Carroll Shelby)

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Ok Comboomer posted:

Jay Leno famously hates Ferrari and doesn't own any, and so do a number of notable well-heeled car collectors, or they only buy them second-hand outside of the company's network
I remember the last season of Top Gear with the original hosts, where they wanted to put the La Ferrari against the Mclaren P1 and a Porsche 918. They had all three cars in their studio. Jeremy went on to say that Ferrari wouldn't let them. So it was asked "why don't we borrow one?" to which the reply was "Ferarri said they will ban anyone who does from buying a Ferrari for life". They even had security there to make sure they didn't just take the car out on their track.

They got permission eventually on Grand Tour, but that Top Gear episode was a small glimpse at the level of control Ferrari extorts on "their" cars.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Ok Comboomer posted:

They're a race team and an aspirational lifestyle brand, and the legacy car business for rich assholes helps prop up the other two.

Also weird co-branded laptops and monitors for a while there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Nothing says class like fuckin' Acer, after all

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ferrari also got in to a legal tiff with Deadmau5 because he was selling his modified 458 as a "Purrari" with different badges and a nyancat themed wrap. He eventually replaced it with the "Nyanborghini Purracan" because he's that sort of person.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ok Comboomer posted:

At the most basic level, Ferrari ownership is set up a bit like an MLM: in order to be invited/permitted to buy more expensive or limited cars, prospective customers have to buy cheaper "entry level" Ferraris first. It doesn't matter how much over sticker you're willing to pay, the dealer will ask you to buy and maybe trade back in other cars first. Your company just IPO'd and you've got your eye on a Daytona SP3 track car that you can now comfortably afford? Too bad. Your Ferrari owner score is too low (this is a real thing) and you'll have to be with the brand a bit longer before we can let you cut in line like that. Maybe if you got your wife a Purosangue as an early birthday gift, and picked yourself up an F8 or a Roma for daily driving, we might be able to bump you up into the waiting list.

There is the second, hidden blade caveat in this where if you have the total slavish devotion, and buy everything sight unseen pre-announcement with an open checkbook like a total findom paypig, you can still fall out of favour like that California watch dealer did who had one of everything but a LaFerarri allocation because he got too tacky with it and dared to YouTube his Ferrari fleet a little too much in a way the Italians did not like, so he got publicly stiffed and humiliated when they told him no he cant have one.

Its a delight to see it happen to those guys.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Cenodoxus posted:

Ferrari's financial bread and butter is selling baseball caps, polo shirts, and sneakers to Eurotrash sales managers

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

Ferrari's financial bread and butter is selling baseball caps, polo shirts, and sneakers to Eurotrash sales managers

They're a merch company with a car division, the same ways Mercedes is a truck company.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

well why not posted:

They're a merch company with a car division, the same ways Mercedes is a truck company.

Confusingly they’re now in the Volvo situation where Volvo Cars/Mercedes group and Volvo group/Daimler AG are completely separate entities.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

It's loving infuriating Ars also does this on their rocket coverage handling SpaceX with kid gloves.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I actually had that acer ferrari laptop and really liked it! I don’t know why but it wasn’t any more expensive than other same spec laptops at the time and it had a nicer screen and more ram or some other advantage iirc.

I don’t give a gently caress about Ferrari and would not have bought it if it cost any more so it must have been some crazy good deal for it.

The rubber palm rest was really nice too.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cenodoxus posted:

Now we've got Porsche-branded gaming monitors instead: https://www.porsche-design.com/us/e...487022307&=true

edit: technically Porsche Design is separate, but you know people are only buying it for the Porsche name.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez9uVSKLYUI

Lol no thanks

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Before I even click that thumb, is it some laughably centrist “all sides” take lol

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
watching it now and about 30 minutes in, it is definitely /not/ taking both sides, ian has pretty definitively dogged linus for his poor handling of this and clearly said that the people asking "both sides" about the madison allegations are loving idiots and explained why people might appear to "be dogpiling" when harrassment has happened to them that might make them fear speaking out before

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
it is however extremely dry so i won't fault anyone for not watching it

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Shipon posted:

watching it now and about 30 minutes in, it is definitely /not/ taking both sides, ian has pretty definitively dogged linus for his poor handling of this and clearly said that the people asking "both sides" about the madison allegations are loving idiots and explained why people might appear to "be dogpiling" when harrassment has happened to them that might make them fear speaking out before

From his comments on that specifically on Twitter I'm not that surprised he's taking that position, that was the one area he was at least more concrete on.

What I was suspecting though is that before the Madison revelations occurred, the video would basically consist of "benchmarking is hard, yo" and overall a lukewarm at best, if not outright defense of LTT - and skipping past the halfway point to where he gets into the review process, it's actually worse than that. He actually says critiquing reviewers like LTT is punching down, and if there are inaccuracies, then it will be reflected in the viewer count. The free market of ideas folks! Basically, it's Linus's "we are a media family" defense - youtubers can't critique other youtubers.

Granted I have been jumping around the last half as I don't know if I can stomach 20+ minutes of this guy just speaking in front of a brick wall for this (let alone 90), but man - even trying to get more context on those snippets just makes it worse. I mean if you're actually addressing the critique of a video, then reference it at least - show some clips, then talk about them. I suspect he's not doing that though as it would make this hand-waving seem that much more explicit, so just speaking in generalities instead of showing the actual critique that he's supposedly responding to helps mask that a bit.

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 22, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

He actually says critiquing reviewers like LTT is punching down

Jumped to that timestamp and Jesus Christ, yeah I'm sure GN and HUB are just dying to have to do their own videos on every item LMG does a video on to correct all of their errors. What a dickhead.

Also in what loving world is critiquing the guy who OWNS the tech YouTube space "punching down?" Punching down would be Steve doing a takedown video of some small channel that is just getting started, not LMG. Get the gently caress out of here.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 22, 2023

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Shipon posted:

That's great to see, and thanks for taking the bullet cause I noped out when I saw it is 90 minutes long.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Branch Nvidian posted:

Jumped to that timestamp and Jesus Christ, yeah I'm sure GN and HUB are just dying to have to do their own videos on every item LMG does a video on to correct all of their errors. What a dickhead.

Basically everyone now needs to cycle through the same content on a continual basis at the same time like movie reaction youtubers. This is clearly the 'analytical' solution. jfc

Edit: Oh gently caress me. We have to accept LTT's incompetence, because if we don't, then the work environment will be even worse!

https://twitter.com/thisistechtoday/status/1693826887842251113?s=20

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 22, 2023

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Basically everyone now needs to cycle through the same content on a continual basis at the same time like movie reaction youtubers. This is clearly the 'analytical' solution. jfc

Linus publishes a video "reviewing" an android-based emulation handheld where he gets 1/3rd of the details completely wrong. Cut to Steve, gun in one hand and a glass of scotch in the other trying to understand what has become of his life, before setting the gun down and ordering a Retroid Pocket.

TheGreySpectre
Sep 18, 2012

You let the wolves in. Why would you do that?
I hate the trend of everything being videos as of late. Whatever that 90 minutes of video is it would probably be all covered in an article that would take 10-15 min to read.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

TheGreySpectre posted:

I hate the trend of everything being videos as of late. Whatever that 90 minutes of video is it would probably be all covered in an article that would take 10-15 min to read.

Not if that fucker is writing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
LOL they auctioned another thing they didn't own.

(The hot wheels case in the auction)