Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Hadlock posted:

M sport trim package is basically the thing that differentiates private owned bmw vs fleet cars, not having the trim package is a big step down don't let anyone tell you otherwise

What kind of fleet would be buying coupes? Much less convertible ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Who knows. There's a ton of fleet 3 and 5 series rotting on lots all over though. Apparently fleet sales make up about 4% of bmw's sales which is not a lot but they don't seem to sell very quickly on the used market

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Rental cars.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
could be off-lease vehicles as well. around here 85% of new bmws are obviously leased (silver, few options, weird things like xdrive, etc)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know about North American e30 325is? My dad bought one when I was in middle school and I got to drive it in high school before it ran into some mechanical problems and he sold it to a buddy of mine for like $1000. Today he was telling me that they are super rare and I did a little digging and I guess they only built ~500 for South Africa? I have no idea how we would have gotten one in Wisconsin but man now I'm really wishing we wouldn't have sold it.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
my first bmw was an 89 325is (automatic unfortunately :( ), black with tan interior

wonderful car, a real pleasure to drive

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Wiki leads me to believe there was a special South African 325iS that was built for racing homologation different from the normal 325is that was on sale in North America and elsewhere.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah my Dads car had Bronzit paint and it owned, such a fun car to drive.

TheBacon posted:

Wiki leads me to believe there was a special South African 325iS that was built for racing homologation different from the normal 325is that was on sale in North America and elsewhere.

Ah ok, that makes more sense then.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Theyre more sought after since they for sure have the LSD, better seats, and potentially front valence and rear spoiler. Otherwise theyre a regular E30. All the is are 2 door. You could get all those parts on non-is.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lightbulb Out posted:

Theyre more sought after since they for sure have the LSD, better seats, and potentially front valence and rear spoiler. Otherwise theyre a regular E30. All the is are 2 door. You could get all those parts on non-is.

Yeah the engine is I believe the same but the rear LSD is nice, the front valance is rare to see because it either gets stolen or broken by now, but the lip spoiler (shared with the 318iS) is common enough. Interior has sports seats and an M-sport wheel that feels good but is pretty large all told.

I wish I couldve exported my 325is from the US, but using it regularly here - especially with a little one in a car seat - wouldve been tough. Still would love to have one to EV mod someday

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the milk machine posted:

could be off-lease vehicles as well. around here 85% of new bmws are obviously leased (silver, few options, weird things like xdrive, etc)
Idk where you are that xdrive is a weird option, but I think most people in the Northeast check that box when ordering

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Idk where you are that xdrive is a weird option, but I think most people in the Northeast check that box when ordering

Yeah and it sucks!!!

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

just weird in the sense that I don't really like it :) and it's not necessary here

the milk machine fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 6, 2023

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Even the south is full of xdrive cars. It's just the way it is. AWD = better for most car shoppers even if they absolutely do not need it. The xdrive cars without heated seats really throw me off though.

Absolutely loving my 330i so far. Got 38 and 39 mpg on the first 2 tanks. Have plugs and a transmission flush kit on the way for when I'm off in a couple weeks. I wonder if I should just go ahead and do the rear diff too?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Woot. A/C died today. It was like 112 degrees out. Guess I'll be replacing that next weekend.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Working an overnight and I'm watching a guy tear down a blown up N63 to make the night go by. I loving lost it after he has the turbos and exhaust manifolds off and pulls off the cover under them and says "this is where they leak oil".

:allears:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Couldnt be happier with my E46. Thank you for encouraging my bad decisions everyone!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Couldnt be happier with my E46. Thank you for encouraging my bad decisions everyone!

Congrats on selecting a great number of Es

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dumb question - I assume xDrive cars are going to have wheel speed sensors on all 4 corners, yea?

I replaced one a few weeks ago, just got all the same warning lights yesterday. Seems like I might as well just replace all 3 now rather than replacing this one and then the other two whenever they start complaining

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yes, but RWD cars also have wheel speed sensors at each corner.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ah I just assumed any 2WD vehicle was just 2 sensors

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

DSC wants to know what's going on at all 4 corners regardless of where engine power is sent.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SlapActionJackson posted:

DSC wants to know what's going on at all 4 corners regardless of where engine power is sent.

It goes back even further than that to ABS.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Stability control is baked into ABS these days, there is a whole rabbit hole to go down with BMW Z4 GT3 having a special version of the Conti unit with a FIA Approved sticker that has the stability control removed, ABS retained, and an ABS intervention level select input.

On the Conti ABS cars there are two different wheel speed sensor types, E46 uses the same front and rear but when you get into E90 and newer there are some cars that have E46 Hall style in the rear and Magnetic Resistive in the front. Some other E90s have Magnetic Resistive front and rear. So it depends.

The E46 xDrive cars actually had a Bosch system, unlike the rest of the cars that are on Continental. IIRC this is due to xDrive being a collaboration with Bosch. I think E90 xDrive is also on a Bosch unit.

My suggestion to you, Sab, is to get a cheap laptop and get INPA working so you can properly diagnose.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 17, 2023

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Edit: nm figured it out.

06 325i. Replaced the valve cover gasket plugs coils valvtronic sensor and motor. Afterwards. Had a misfire on 3 cyl. Turned out to be poor connections to the coils. Car has 118k on her but she's pretty clapped out. I previously locked the steering column by trying to jump start a super dead battery so had to purchase a new steering column with the battery. So I'm married to this loving thing now. Future projects include full suspension and possibly an exhaust. The struts are so blown it makes for hilarious handling almost like a trophy truck. She's gritty and ugly but gently caress it I paid 1 grand for her let's have fun.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 19, 2023

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I kinda feel that. My E39 brakes needed changing after some spirited driving (the rears had flakes fall of them) so I ordered a full Zimmerman brake kit. Ok nice, but why not change the front struts at the same time? Sure. But the tie rods were a son of a to get off, got ruined and all the grease leaked. Ok well, probably needs changing anyway along with the end links. Oh right the normal spring compressors don't work, so I'll have to buy $300 ones to be able to sort it. Nice.

When I'm at it, I'll fix some of the rear jack pad rust as well (which to be fair wasn't nearly as bad as I feared).

Indeed married to this car.

Love it though.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 20, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If there was one BMW from that era worth keeping up with on the maintenance it's the e39

I'm too scared to go look up how much a good condition mostly stock e39 costs on BaT these days

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
E39 values are bottoming out (or have, haven't found one as cheap as mine again) here. Sure this is an auto with a lower end engine, but it's a touring so it does everything we'd want. I find them pretty ok to work on compared to other cars I've had. I'm just getting annoying with myself when some plastic snaps and it's not "perfect" anymore, or when I find out that I don't have a tool I need and have to postpone it. You can tell that it had the same owner for over 15 years as nothing is really missing. Will be keeping this car for the foreseeable future, so I'm only buying OE stuff when replacing. I'm wondering a bit about the rust around the jacking points though. Thankfully the "C" pillar that actually takes the load (and the metal around it) was fine, but the end bits were rusted. I will be soaking it all in fluid film style rust inhibitor, but I'm wondering if it might be an idea to not fully close up the repair but to enable if to "breathe" a bit by leaving some open.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 20, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

If there was one BMW from that era worth keeping up with on the maintenance it's the e39

I'm too scared to go look up how much a good condition mostly stock e39 costs on BaT these days

I mean, as with all things, probably depends on what you want? Can imagine tourings and 540s being higher value, M5s being unobtanium, and good six-cylinder automatics probably sitting.

Id have to ask my dad but he bought a E39 540i a couple years back, so he would know.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I thought the 540 suffered from overheating, a way too heavy front subframe, and ball bearing steering (?!?) to cope with all the extra weight up front of that brute v8

528i was a splendid car with plenty of power and an inline six, much more elegant engine for a more civilized age :colbert:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Hadlock posted:

ball bearing steering (?!?)
Recirculating ball steering because there wasnt enough space to fit the rack and pinion setup with the V8 as it was too tall.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recirculating_ball

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The steering is perfectly fine. I'm not sure you would be able to tell the difference between a recirculating ball system and a rack and pinion system. Most cars have moved to rack and pinion because it's cheaper.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
my m5 has recirculating ball and it's fun to steer. beats the poo poo out of any modern electric power steering system i've tried

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Finally got another windshield for the M3 today. The HUD looks like it should now. So I'm happy.

It's Fuyao which is one of the OE glass makers for BMW and the same replacement my 330i has but there's no BMW logo so it's not factory glass like the shop is claiming. It's good enough for me so that's between them and my insurance company.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the milk machine posted:

my m5 has recirculating ball and it's fun to steer. beats the poo poo out of any modern electric power steering system i've tried

same op

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
E9x M3 steering is also fantastic.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The steering is perfectly fine. I'm not sure you would be able to tell the difference between a recirculating ball system and a rack and pinion system. Most cars have moved to rack and pinion because it's cheaper.
Ive never had a car with recirculating balls, but I remember reading a G-Wagon review from when they switched it to rack and pinion saying the latter is massively better. I guess there are some other variables there but still

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I drove E39 528/530 and E39 540/E38 740 back when they were new and you could definitely feel a bit of vagueness with the 540/740.

A clean 2003 530 6 Speed and $$$$$$ :homebrew: in maintenance/upgrades would be on my list if I every got around to it.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

My E34 had the recirculating ball steering and it was definitely a lil floaty but not terrible. Rack and pinion is just better tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
A buddy of mine offered to sell me his e39 m5 over the summer.

I bought the 986 S instead.