Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Can't you put something like a reusable zip tie or a piece of pipe over your brake lever and handle bar to keep it squeezed a bit, if you gotta park it on a hill that's so steep that it'll work through compression?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you get a Harley-Davidson® with patented Jiffy Stand™ you won't have to worry about your kickstand folding up no matter which way you park. :patriot:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

If you get a Harley-Davidson® with patented Jiffy Stand™ you won't have to worry about your kickstand folding up no matter which way you park. :patriot:

Correct

You can also get a burgman or other maxi scooter and enjoy the privilege of a dedicated ratcheting e-brake

Both of these are sensible choices more people should make

E: realized this was the newbie thread so I'll amend that to: one of these is a sensible choice everyone should make

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

I'm taking the MSF course next weekend. I picked up a 2006 Suzuki V-strom and did some circles in a parking lot to feel it out. Stalled it a couple times before I realized the bike was idling around 900 for some reason (owner's manual specifies around 1200 is the norm). Adjusted the idle screw and turns out it's way easier to stop and go when the RPMs are in the correct range!

Think I'll opt to use the loaner bikes since I'm not entirely confident in the 30 minute ride over to the course just yet.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
I passed the safety program! Now to study for my class C renewal to get my license. Was thinking of looking for a bike at the end of the year when prices start going down.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The jiffy stand is probably Harley’s greatest engineering achievement and it’s pretty surprising that other manufacturers haven’t copied it in some way.

However, even a jiffy stand won’t save you in many parts of SF, I can see the bike rolling away, fully deployed and locked jiffy stand just grinding away on the pavement

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

Beve Stuscemi posted:

However, even a jiffy stand won’t save you in many parts of SF, I can see the bike rolling away, fully deployed and locked jiffy stand just grinding away on the pavement

There is a sizeable part of people that hates parking a bike in gear and I do not get why.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
What is this "parking" bullshit. I simply ride wherever I go, into the store, and dump things into the top box.
Stop being silly squids

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

2Fast2Nutricious posted:

There is a sizeable part of people that hates parking a bike in gear and I do not get why.

Because on a steep enough hill (the type of hill that will fold a kickstand or drag a jiffy stand), it will also turn over an engine

For shallower hills, being in gear is OK

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I really enjoyed the Total Control intermediate course the other week. I seemed to gain a lot out of it based on how I felt riding after. Probably will take it again early next year since it's free for PA residents and take the advanced sometime later in the year when I make a trip out of it.

Instructor had a Tiger with head to toe matching Klim outfit, I was on my old FZ6, and the two other learners were a guy getting back on a bike after an extended time away from moving from the UK on an old Bandit 1200 and the other guy was getting back on a bike after taking some time off from a crash. He was on a big Yamaha cruiser of some sort but in spite of surviving through a bad crash before was only wearing a brain bucket. Shockingly, tall rear end ape hangers and the most forward of forward controls suck poo poo for doing anything remotely technical.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

What does the Total Control Intermediate course consist of?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It's Lee Parks "Total Control," the intermediate riding course is detailed here. Keep in mind motorcycle training in the US is not particularly comprehensive, so our "intermediate" training may seem pretty basic compared to EU/UK. I am curious about the advance one that is on track. They do it at Willow Springs which I want to go to anyway, and it's about $600 for two days, so not that outrageous.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I keep wanting to call it "Lee Marvin's Total Control"

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

TotalLossBrain posted:

What is this "parking" bullshit. I simply ride wherever I go, into the store, and dump things into the top box.
Stop being silly squids

i, too, ride a dual sport

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

knox_harrington posted:

What does the Total Control Intermediate course consist of?

Throttle Control - smooth, gradual throttle roll off to stop
Brake Control - 20mph emergency stops, both brakes, avoid locking up rear
Vision - basically a shitload of visible head and shoulder movement in any turn
Line Selection - various turns with cones to reinforce line selection
Low Speed Turns - a figure 8-ish to enter, loop around, and exit; clutch modulation and counter lean
Evasive Maneuvers - left and right cone swerves
Road Speed Cornering - road speed being 20-25mph, various turns with more vision enforcement and upper body positioning for less bike lean

From what the instructor said, the advanced is basically the same drills but at higher speeds

It was a real nice day compared to the beginner one, as you weren't waiting around for people who have never sat on a bike stall it endlessly in a line of 6 people doing the same drills at the same time. Everyone goes individually and the feedback you get is much more direct. Also it's nice to do the drills on your own bike instead of a busted up 250.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
When my license comes in I'm actually planning to take the harder courses because they were actually pretty fun. Not sure if there's any other incentives such as lower insurance or something if I take them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Being less poo poo at riding is the biggest incentive

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Can someone explain the chain maintenance situation? I got a brush and two spray bottles in a kit and the brush is pretty obvious but one of the spray bottles is labeled clean and the other lubricate and there are no instructions. I guess I spray clean, then brush it, then spray lubricants? What do I do about the part of the chain that’s on top and not accessible? I can only get to about a third of the chain.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Vino posted:

Can someone explain the chain maintenance situation? I got a brush and two spray bottles in a kit and the brush is pretty obvious but one of the spray bottles is labeled clean and the other lubricate and there are no instructions. I guess I spray clean, then brush it, then spray lubricants? What do I do about the part of the chain that’s on top and not accessible? I can only get to about a third of the chain.

spin the wheel, OP

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Put the bike up on its center stand and put it in neutral so you can spin the rear wheel. That's how you get to the whole chain.

Only spin the rear wheel by hand!! NEVER touch the chain with the engine running, even if it's in neutral. You will lose your fingers.

Use your cleaning solution and a rag (or the brush I guess) to clean off old grit and grime. It doesn't have to be spotless. Just get the visible sand and abrasive stuff. The rollers and their connections to the side plates are more important than the side plates themselves.

Then oil the whole chain with whatever your chain lube is. You want the oil or lube to get into the spaces between the rollers and the plates on the inside of the chain. I like to do this by slowly turning the rear wheel backwards and oiling the lower run, so the oiled part goes back into the front sprocket and up and around. If it's a spray, just spray it on and try not to waste too much with overspray. If it's a liquid, put one drop on each end of each roller. Or just spin the chain slowly while dripping it on.

After the whole chain is oiled, spin the rear wheel a few dozen times to get everything distributed, then wipe the excess off the outside with a rag. (Leave whatever is on the rollers). Done

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Spot on, that's what I do.

I'll add that on my dune bikes, the first step is to use high pressure air to blow sand off the chain. And everything else, really

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

if you dont have a center stand you can just roll it forward a foot or so at a time. mine has a side stand and I found this is easier than trying to teeter it on the stand and front wheel, or put it on some kind of improvised center stand

also whats advised for holding the bike level while doing stuff like checking the oil. thus far i've just held the bike level-ish and tried to be careful lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I got a set of paddock stands and put it up on the rear one for oil changes and chain maintenance.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Get a paddock stand if you don't have a centre stand, it will make a lot of maintenance easier. e: ^:hfive:

Idk if it's actually true but I heard you should lube the chain when you finish a ride so it's a bit warm and helps the lube get inside the links.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you dont have a center stand you can just roll it forward a foot or so at a time. mine has a side stand and I found this is easier than trying to teeter it on the stand and front wheel, or put it on some kind of improvised center stand

I find the opposite to be true. When I need to lube the chain away from the paddock stand I keep at home I sit my rear end down on the ground, teeter the bike with my arms and spin the rear wheel with my right foot to advance the chain. No need to get up and down repeadedly, which my middle age body appreciates. Obviously it depends on the bike how difficult and sketchy it is to teeter the bike in this way.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
I recently went on my first moto trip and the way I handled no center stand chain maintenance was:

get some rocks of appropriate height, set them up near my bike, rock my bike gently onto the rocks, Robert's ur relative.

it was much more straight forward than doing the Move The Bike method.

The experience made me want to make / find an appropriate length of wood to carry with me for future trips in case rocks aren't available.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

This gunk came off the gear but not the chain. Guess I’m going in the right direction? Is the point to get it to come off the chain as well? Looks like it’ll come off the chain too if I apply liberally.

Edit: I have no center stand, thus that confusion. I will just roll the bike.

Edit 2: gently caress me I almost dropped the bike because wheeling it back in the garage I put my foot in a spot where grease had collected on the floor and it slipped out. I will be putting some cardboard down next time to collect the grease. Anyway I got a portion of the chain clean and was able to see the difference between clean and dirty so I should be able to clean it real good from now on. Thanks folks.

Vino fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 25, 2023

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
You can use a chain\grunge brush, spin the wheel, hose it off etc. Stands will make your life easier, or a center stand. Highly recommend stands.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

You can use a chain\grunge brush, spin the wheel, hose it off etc. Stands will make your life easier, or a center stand. Highly recommend stands.

Fellas I think SSH IT ZOMBIE might be a Jojo

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
So yea I wheeled the bike back inside the garage and a few hours later I realized I forgot my keys in it, so I went back out there and yup, the battery is dead. Shockingly small time to drain the battery! But I guess I did leave the brights on.

So yea how do I jump my bike?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I know people said they use kerosene for cleaning chains, but what do you use for lube? I have been using wax, but if you over spray, it is super tacky and you end up with large splotches of dirt where you over sprayed and is a pain in the rear end to clean. I spent like 20 minuets trying to get the dirt off my wheels and it was like if you tore a sticker off and left the sticky part under it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Once you do that enough times you remember to cover what's behind the chain you're spraying, as much as possible.
A sheet of paper works but there are also products you can buy.

I don't remember exactly what I'm using for lube. It's whatever the local shop has as generic o-ring chain lube, and generic regular chain lube. Both in spray bottles.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 25, 2023

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, probably a good idea no matter what I use, thanks.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Rusty posted:

I know people said they use kerosene for cleaning chains, but what do you use for lube? I have been using wax, but if you over spray, it is super tacky and you end up with large splotches of dirt where you over sprayed and is a pain in the rear end to clean. I spent like 20 minuets trying to get the dirt off my wheels and it was like if you tore a sticker off and left the sticky part under it.

Lots of people here seem to use heavy weight gear oil, some use motor oil. I used to use a spray moto chain lube but didn't like the results, also the overspray getting everywhere. Now I'm using a sticky thick oil meant for bicycle chains according to the label (though it's way too thick for derailleur gears) that I apply with a three sided brush. It works well enough but the little bottle is running low, and when I'm out I might go for something else. I'll probably just use the thickest stickiest oil that's sitting on the shelf, be it gear oil or maybe mineral chainsaw bar oil. I honestly don't think it matters all that much - it lasts a long time in the dry but not long at all if you ride in the rain. Chains wear out no matter what you do, I chose not to worry too much about it, lube when it looks dry or squeaks or seems like a long time ago and just replace chains as needed. Getting some lube on the rear wheel (and elsewhere) seems to me like a fact of life, I'll just wipe the off the gunk on the rim with brake cleaner or something when I feel like getting the bike more than passably clean every once in a while.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
I use

It’s not nearly as sticky as other moto wax I’ve seen and stays quite clean. I like it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Vino posted:

So yea I wheeled the bike back inside the garage and a few hours later I realized I forgot my keys in it, so I went back out there and yup, the battery is dead. Shockingly small time to drain the battery! But I guess I did leave the brights on.

So yea how do I jump my bike?

Do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key to on and put the kill switch in "run"? If so, you may be able to bump start the bike. Just be geared up and prepared to ride it around for 15 minutes or more to help recharge the battery. If it's completely dead, you are going to need to take it out and hope something like an OptiMate can bring it back to life. Probably a good time to wire in an SAE connector for easy future access.

If bump start is an option, put the bike into 1st (should be fine on your bike? If struggling, try 2nd), put the key to on/killswitch to run, pull the clutch in, push the bike up to at least 5mph (8-10mph if you can, a slight incline helps), then jump on it and dump the clutch. If it fires up, pull the clutch in, collect yourself, and start riding.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
bump starting a bike on level ground by yourself is difficult, but on a 300cc it should be possible if you're somewhat fit, coordinated and determined. If you have someone to push you it's easy, if there's a hill it's also cake.
The only time I had to bump start by myself there was a modest but real grade to the road, but I was at the bottom, so I had to push the bike up it in order to go down it and get the motor started. Sweating was involved.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You will definitely have to use 2nd gear on a 300, 1st will just lock up the wheel

You can also just expose the battery and jump start the bike with a car

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I used to use kerosine for chain cleaning. However, since finding out that kerosine can actually seep past the O-rings (and most dedicated chain cleaners won't) i don't use it anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrEpAUi_QKA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Slavvy posted:

You will definitely have to use 2nd gear on a 300, 1st will just lock up the wheel

You can also just expose the battery and jump start the bike with a car

I understand why you need to use second versus first on some bikes, but my bike (CB300R) bump starts in first no problem. I'm assuming which gear you need to use is a factor of per cyclinder displacement and compression ratio, but maybe it's more complicated than that? That's why I would think a 300cc twin would bump start easier than a single.