Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

When good people are greedy it's called "drive", duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Wait I thought it was "hustle"

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Scholtz posted:

Wait I thought it was "hustle"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
a movie had a good guy say greed is good, a movie and a good guy wouldnt lie?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

a movie had a good guy say greed is good, a movie and a good guy wouldnt lie?

he wasn't the good guy of that movie, op

edit:

Mooseontheloose posted:

Incorrect, he made a lot of money and had many beautiful women. Clearly the good guy.

i stand corrected

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 17, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

aBagorn posted:

he wasn't the good guy of that movie, op

Incorrect, he made a lot of money and had many beautiful women. Clearly the good guy.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
All movies are documentaries and the main character is always the good guy that you should identify with no matter what he does

This is also true for TV. Especially the hit series Breaking Bad

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No only if he's a white man who does cool poo poo with guns and/or capitalism.

When Falling Down man said "I'm the bad guy?" that's because he was the good guy.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

No only if he's a white man who does cool poo poo with guns and/or capitalism.

This is why Blue Bloods is the greatest show ever made.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elephant Ambush posted:

All movies are documentaries and the main character is always the good guy that you should identify with no matter what he does

This is also true for TV. Especially the hit series Breaking Bad
Let me tell you all about the greatest man in cinematic, and therefore real-world history, Jordan Belfort...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Not shown, the 200+ comments about how it's stealing jobs.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Generally it sucks how swapping cashiers for self help kiosks means that if you buy more than 10 things (or some larger things that can't go on the little trays) then you're stuck waiting in line for 20 minutes for the two remaining actual cashiers.

However if you don't enjoy beeping items then you have forgotten being a child.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Medullah posted:

Not shown, the 200+ comments about how it's stealing jobs.
I just tell those people to go home and smash their automatic washing machine if they feel that way, those stole far more.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The self checkout owns because it's constantly giving me two-for-one specials

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I love working for the store for free. I even grab the floor waxer and give the aisles a good buff so the business can fire more people to boost those shareholder profits. I feel like it's my duty to the job creators and it makes me happy to serve them.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Self checkouts are good when they don't have weight sensors because it sucks having to fight with a machine. Meijers has stand up ones that don't even have a platform, just a bag holder, that you can only buy 5 things at. It's great for dashing through when you just want something to cook for dinner.

Going through cashiers behind people who had four weeks of food in their cart during covid has convinced me that I hate manned check-outs and how slow they are. It is a staffing issue but they sure as poo poo aren't going to start fully staffing ever again.

Also if you don't enjoy beeping barcodes then you have forgotten being a child.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If I'm expecting my checkout process to be even mildly complex, e.g. buying fruit or alcohol or using a coupon, I'll go through the staffed checkout because it will save me so much headache.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

It's really a lot like the "if we get rid of coal as a resource coal miners will all be out of work!". Like if companies decided to get rid of self checkout they'd hire a bunch of cashiers. Move on, the world is evolving. Let them train the former cashiers to stock shelves, unload trucks, clean the store.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

Medullah posted:

Let them train the former cashiers to stock shelves, unload trucks, clean the store.

lmao yeah that's what they'll do

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Maybe they can invent a computer that will tell customers to unload the trucks for free too

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

nerd plus rage posted:

lmao yeah that's what they'll do

They already have to loving do that.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

As someone who worked as a cashier/stock person, I love self-checkouts. I know the process and I can put my stuff in bags how I want it to be.

Also, they have not gotten rid of those jobs, they have just shifted them over to other areas such as fulfilling online orders.

It would not surprise me if Walmart is just a giant fulfillment center in 10 years where no one goes in and you just pull up and they bring your items to your car.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And then I have my caddy and chauffeur load them to create jobs.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Self checkouts aren't labor saving devices that free mankind of a burdensome chore, they're a computer that tells someone else to do the chore for free so the company can save money on labor.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

As someone who worked as a cashier/stock person, I love self-checkouts. I know the process and I can put my stuff in bags how I want it to be.

Also, they have not gotten rid of those jobs, they have just shifted them over to other areas such as fulfilling online orders.

It would not surprise me if Walmart is just a giant fulfillment center in 10 years where no one goes in and you just pull up and they bring your items to your car.

That's essentially what Best Buy has become. I worked there from 1998-2011 and watched as it went from 4-5 people working in 6 or so departments to 1-2 per department with some combined. From what I hear now it's just a couple employees working at any given time with two managers total per store.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

VitalSigns posted:

Self checkouts aren't labor saving devices that free mankind of a burdensome chore, they're a computer that tells someone else to do the chore for free so the company can save money on labor.
:yeah:

Self checkouts lead to a lot more labor overall, because randos are way slower at scanning/bagging than an actual employee

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

VitalSigns posted:

Bingo. Computers don't ask for a union or have "unreasonable" demands like more free time and better pay.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Medullah posted:

That's essentially what Best Buy has become. I worked there from 1998-2011 and watched as it went from 4-5 people working in 6 or so departments to 1-2 per department with some combined. From what I hear now it's just a couple employees working at any given time with two managers total per store.

Imo it depends on what kind of store you are, because old people prefer to shop in person and also don't understand technology. Whereas you don't have confused people trying to ask grocery store employees about the latest in watermellon technology.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Bingo. Computers don't ask for a union or have "unreasonable" demands like more free time and better pay.
Self checkouts don't automate anything over regular checkouts. It's just that the cashier is the customer.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

With staffing that low, who the heck are the karen's going to turn to?

Not that I have much use for best buy. Last time I went there tried buying a computer for my friend was in the early aughties, We found a demo computer we liked. We did not find a clerk interested in helping us get a model we could take to the cashier. When we finally got a manager involve, he flagged down the nearest grunt and was told 'in a minute boss', then stood around looking helpless and annoyed as the clerk proceeded to gently caress off somewhere for as long as it took for us to read the writing on the wall and go next door to Circuit City.

Where we were then instantly glommed onto by a salesman who .insisted. my friend needed the most powerful computer in the store for his Facebook needs.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

BiggerBoat posted:

They already have to loving do that.

What he's saying/rolling his eyes at is the notion that the company would actually invest any of this extra money into their employees instead of what they'll actually do which is fire as many people as they can get away with and then put all of the extra work onto whoever is left with no expectation of pay raise or better hours while the profits funnel immediately to the shareholders.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If self-checkouts used some RFID magic to total up everything in your cart instantly as you walked by then the arguments about labor-saving devices freeing us from menial jobs would make sense, but it's literally just telling you to use the same equipment the cashier has, but with an extra weight sensor to waste your time to make it a bit harder for you to steal, and a lack of control in the UI to waste your time if you're buying alcohol or the system just fucks up and needs an employee to punch a code in. Much less efficient but the costs are shifted to you, someone loses their job, and the store gets more profit

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I dont think anyone sane is saying they are labor savings, self check outs are great because buying a tomato doesn't need to be a 10 minute social event.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It doesn't take a cashier 10 minutes to ring up a tomato lol

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

CuddleCryptid posted:

I dont think anyone sane is saying they are labor savings, self check outs are great because buying a tomato doesn't need to be a 10 minute social event.

And if self checkouts were limited to some sort of 10-item or less express lane for that purpose, that'd be one thing.
But hell, they're currently remodeling the walmart near my house to be like 90% self checkout lines and maybe 2 registers still worked by an employee.

VitalSigns posted:

No, but if the store is busy you may end up waiting in line 10+ minutes while they ring up everyone in front of you.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

VitalSigns posted:

It does when there are 9 people in line in front of you. At the local grocery here there are 12 self checkouts, and almost never a line.

I express no opinion on the labor impact or what can be done about that, but I have zero doubt that the self checkouts have reduced the amount of time I spend waiting to pay for my stuff.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

The national chains have clearly decided that increased risk of theft is worth hiring fewer people, may as well take them up on thar calculated risk. :)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Self checkouts can be faster in stores that put in like 20 of them so you have a good chance of having one open immediately if it isn't too busy instead of getting stuck in line at one of the two open registers they'd normally staff during off peak hours, but all that really shows is how much better service the business is capable of providing but doesn't want to because money. Self-checkout can also be slower if the store is really busy and you have to wait behind a bunch of people checking themselves out slower than cashiers.

Stores could staff plenty of registers to keep lines short but then sometimes they'd end up with people in the floor who have time to lean instead of time to clean and well can't have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

VitalSigns posted:

Self checkouts can be faster in stores that put in like 20 of them so you have a good chance of having one open immediately if it isn't too busy instead of getting stuck in line at one of the two open registers they'd normally staff during off peak hours, but all that really shows is how much better service the business is capable of providing but doesn't want to because money. Self-checkout can also be slower if the store is really busy and you have to wait behind a bunch of people checking themselves out slower than cashiers.

Stores could staff plenty of registers to keep lines short but then sometimes they'd end up with people in the floor who have time to lean instead of time to clean and well can't have that.

There's also going to end up being an ableism angle too, isn't there?
I mean, if the registers don't need a person working them, then they're going to expect those workers to stick to stocking and cleaning and whatever else, and I'm sure there are people who can't do anything more physically demanding than running a register.
There's bound to be locations that have more employees on that list than they have accommodations.