Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DicktheCat posted:

loving Klax.

Does anyone like that game? Is there someone who just says "Let's play some Klax, guys!"

Get out here, so I can stuff you in a locker.

I like Klax and I will fight you at the appropriate time: the 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MrQwerty posted:

lol Electronic Arts doing Electronic Arts strikes again

I know they're technically the same company, but Electronic Arts is (was) far and away better than EA Games. :colbert:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Random Stranger posted:

I like Klax and I will fight you at the appropriate time: the 90's.
Speaking of the 90s, I got an Abernic retro handheld and have been playing a load of PS1 games I hadn't seen before. Currently on Danger Girl, which is based on a 90s-as-gently caress comic. The game itself is a fairly meh third-person shooter, but what makes it terrible (in a :haw: way) is the character design. The comic was basically an excuse for multiple plates of cheesecake, although it also had well-done and dynamic action scenes, in a Michael-Bay-does-007 way. The game?

Think of the CGI cutscenes from the original Tomb Raider. Now move them a few years into the Uncanny Valley to make the characters seem like they want to swallow your soul. Give the heroines basketball breasts, with eggcup nipples and figures that make Lara Croft look like a muffin top. And within the game itself, put the maximum focus into rear end animation, as that's what fills the centre of the screen. I swear Abbey's backside has more polygons than the guys she's shooting.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Beartaco posted:

This looks rad as hell.

Ir's actually a p decent CRPG style game on the Genesua.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I think I still have my copy (5 discs!) of A Fork in the Tale, a game featuring the voice talents of Rob Schneider!

It was pretty terrible, I played the demo and somehow decided to buy it at Babbages. Why I kept it all these years is quite the mystery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fra9KxmUBo
See if you can make it longer than a minute or two into the gameplay.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I know they're technically the same company, but Electronic Arts is (was) far and away better than EA Games. :colbert:

A lot easier to put out good games with 90-hour workweeks

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I'm surprised nobody has brought up literally anything for the Tiger game.com. It was all so bad that most of the YouTube gameplay videos I'm finding are brief clips of the whole library rather than extended plays of specific games. Resident Evil 2 was widely considered the best game on the system:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ushiVZzDwHI

I had an original as well as the backlight rerelease Pocket Pro and a big chunk of the library, but sold them off ~15 years ago. I think the only reason I was able to wheedle my grandparents into it was because it was sold in the toy department with the rest of the Tiger crap, instead of with the game consoles which my grandfather refused to buy me. I never had the Internet connectivity kit, which seemed like a total joke anyway. I'm hoping I can find good videos of the Batman & Robin and Lost World: Jurassic Park games. Batman was a halfway competent side scroller for such a crappy system, but had an area where there was supposed to be a break in a balcony railing at the top of a tower climb that simply didn't appear to be there. Jurassic Park was totally bizarre, switching back and forth between hunting dinosaurs with a vehicle in some kind of lovely racing game and a really slow-paced jungle platformer.

They seemed to be trying to license PlayStation franchises to have something, anything as a selling point to challenge the Game Boy, but GBC and Pokémon mania completely left them in the dust. They teased a top-down version of Metal Gear Solid by distributing a brief QuickTime clip on the loving Usenet newsgroup, but I think that clip has been lost to time.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ł ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

istewart posted:

I'm surprised nobody has brought up literally anything for the Tiger game.com. It was all so bad that most of the YouTube gameplay videos I'm finding are brief clips of the whole library rather than extended plays of specific games. Resident Evil 2 was widely considered the best game on the system:

I had an original as well as the backlight rerelease Pocket Pro and a big chunk of the library, but sold them off ~15 years ago. I think the only reason I was able to wheedle my grandparents into it was because it was sold in the toy department with the rest of the Tiger crap, instead of with the game consoles which my grandfather refused to buy me. I never had the Internet connectivity kit, which seemed like a total joke anyway. I'm hoping I can find good videos of the Batman & Robin and Lost World: Jurassic Park games. Batman was a halfway competent side scroller for such a crappy system, but had an area where there was supposed to be a break in a balcony railing at the top of a tower climb that simply didn't appear to be there. Jurassic Park was totally bizarre, switching back and forth between hunting dinosaurs with a vehicle in some kind of lovely racing game and a really slow-paced jungle platformer.

They seemed to be trying to license PlayStation franchises to have something, anything as a selling point to challenge the Game Boy, but GBC and Pokémon mania completely left them in the dust. They teased a top-down version of Metal Gear Solid by distributing a brief QuickTime clip on the loving Usenet newsgroup, but I think that clip has been lost to time.

I dropped some stuff off at my storage unit yesterday and saw my game.com languishing pressed against the face of a plastic tub, I should go get it and play Solitaire, the only good game on the game.com

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Oh poo poo, you're post just reminded me about Jurassic Park on the Gameboy. That game was a loving trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZcWv05O6xw

It was a pretty mid game. It had some level variety (shoot dinos, dodge stampedes, a Toobin'-like raft bit), it frustrated me and my little bro because we were pretty poo poo at it. The music was pretty decent, with some levels reminding me of Axel F (they get to a point where it almost sounds like it's going to segue into the main Axel F theme but then goes back to its dinky OST).

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Bogus Adventure posted:

Oh poo poo, you're post just reminded me about Jurassic Park on the Gameboy. That game was a loving trip.

It was a pretty mid game. It had some level variety (shoot dinos, dodge stampedes, a Toobin'-like raft bit), it frustrated me and my little bro because we were pretty poo poo at it. The music was pretty decent, with some levels reminding me of Axel F (they get to a point where it almost sounds like it's going to segue into the main Axel F theme but then goes back to its dinky OST).

I had this game and it was alright but sometimes the controls would just completely poo poo the bed and ignore your inputs. It also had those loving ? boxes which were nigh-invariably loaded with insta-kill explosives.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Jurassic Park on the SNES was that but also had these Wolfenstein 3D type FPS sections that scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. They were always in these dark buildings and you'd have like spitters and raptors sneak up on you. poo poo was wild.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

pretty sure the best part was the cheat code for boobies

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nocheez posted:

I think I still have my copy (5 discs!) of A Fork in the Tale, a game featuring the voice talents of Rob Schneider!

If they didn't want anyone to play the game they could of just not of made it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lol “Toobin.” But yeah that was a wonky game I think I kept getting lost. I liked how reviews noted that in the movie Dr. Grant is not wielding a bazooka at all times.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

shoeberto posted:

Jurassic Park on the SNES was that but also had these Wolfenstein 3D type FPS sections that scared the poo poo out of me as a kid. They were always in these dark buildings and you'd have like spitters and raptors sneak up on you. poo poo was wild.

Holy poo poo, I played that exactly once in my life, at a friend's apartment, and your post just unlocked forgotten 1990s memories of blazing through the top-down parts and then stumbling around like an idiot in the FPS areas because the SNES controller was entirely unsuitable for fluid first person controls.

Was the game even any good? I just had stupid thumbs so I never got through the FPS bits.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Bogus Adventure posted:

This might just be my personal experience with the game, but I'm going to toss Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete into this thread

See that cover? Looks loving badass. It was a 4-disc PSX RPG that had animated cutscenes, and I was a naive moron who let his imagination run wild with what the game might be like.

I wasn't expecting Final Fantasy level game, but maybe something a little more advanced than whatever the gently caress this was:

Looked and played like a third-rate SNES game.

Check out this cub scout-looking dude

This guy sucked rear end

This was a pretty good burn, though:

Username/post combo.

Yeah this game was trash. Vanilla jrpg dreck. It came with a ton of art books and stuff though and I would trace the animes in them.

I eventually quit after getting stuck in a hard dungeon after not scum saving enough.

Plus I had Street Fighter Ex plus Alpha and a few other far superior games.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Arc Light posted:

Holy poo poo, I played that exactly once in my life, at a friend's apartment, and your post just unlocked forgotten 1990s memories of blazing through the top-down parts and then stumbling around like an idiot in the FPS areas because the SNES controller was entirely unsuitable for fluid first person controls.

Was the game even any good? I just had stupid thumbs so I never got through the FPS bits.

It was... fine? Surprisingly ambitious for a licensed SNES tie-in. I got it as a kid and played it a lot but never beat it.

iirc it was somewhat Zelda inspired with the overworld and the FPS sections being sort of like "dungeons", but there was no saving and you had limited lives. So it was kind of a slog after a while, hence why I never beat it.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Poohs Packin posted:

Username/post combo.

Yeah this game was trash. Vanilla jrpg dreck. It came with a ton of art books and stuff though and I would trace the animes in them.

I eventually quit after getting stuck in a hard dungeon after not scum saving enough.

Plus I had Street Fighter Ex plus Alpha and a few other far superior games.

There was a GBA port of it that I played a lot of, and never really understood why the original was so revered. Granted people poo poo all over the GBA port but it played totally fine. It was just a boring world with boring characters and a boring story.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

shoeberto posted:

never really understood why the original was so revered.

Because adolescent anime likers exist and have zero taste or context for what is good. Many of them carry their childhood opinions into adulthood, and now you've got full grown men like myself explaining evangelions to their wives.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tbf the brainless aggrandizement of older games regardless of massive glaring flaws or the story just being incoherent or poorly written compared to contemporary titles is just par the course.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Poohs Packin posted:

Because adolescent anime likers exist and have zero taste or context for what is good. Many of them carry their childhood opinions into adulthood, and now you've got full grown men like myself explaining evangelions to their wives.

side note, but, I actually just watched End of Evangelion last night for the first time, it holds up. I haven't been that fully engrossed in anything since Twin Peaks S3E8. I had to mention it because I'm going to be chewing it over all drat week now.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It was revered because of the lol monkey cheese level working designs translations.

I enjoyed them too, when I was a child

E: God loving drat I need to rewatch season 3, every single episode is God tier but 8 is one of the best. So much revealed and so much more to be like ??????? What the gently caress lynch

The last episode still gives me the most thought but I'm pretty sure I actually understand what was going on

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 21, 2023

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Poohs Packin posted:

Akira was better

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

This might just be my personal experience with the game, but I'm going to toss Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete into this thread

Gonna say this is a bad post. Unless this is some sarcasm that went over my head.

Lunar SSC is pretty well regarded by critics and typically makes an appearance in those "Top PS1 Rpgs" lists people like to make. If your chief complaint is the graphics; it was loving 1996 and this wasn't exactly Nintendo or Square or another big name developing this.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Tbf the brainless aggrandizement of older games regardless of massive glaring flaws or the story just being incoherent or poorly written compared to contemporary titles is just par the course.

Its nostalgia by any other name, which is fine.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Indie games that go for throwback poo poo just don't give me that bad game design nostalgia I crave nor do they quite get the crappy graphics right

That's why I play godawful romhacks of my favorite games to infinite, or randomizers

Yes I am severely mentally ill

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Action-Bastard posted:

Gonna say this is a bad post. Unless this is some sarcasm that went over my head.

Lunar SSC is pretty well regarded by critics and typically makes an appearance in those "Top PS1 Rpgs" lists people like to make. If your chief complaint is the graphics; it was loving 1996 and this wasn't exactly Nintendo or Square or another big name developing this.

Adolescent me who collected all the bikini softcore hentai scenes then lost interest is agreeing with you

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Private Cumshoe posted:

Indie games that go for throwback poo poo just don't give me that bad game design nostalgia I crave nor do they quite get the crappy graphics right

That's why I play godawful romhacks of my favorite games to infinite, or randomizers

Yes I am severely mentally ill

okay but have you tried goblet grotto

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Action-Bastard posted:

It's 1996. You can play Suikoden or you can play this game:

I hope you chose wisely because if you chose this one you turned into a skeleton and disintegrated like you drank from the wrong grail

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

the holy poopacy posted:

It's 1996. You can play Suikoden or you can play this game:

I played both TYVM :colbert:

Benoit
Jun 26, 2006

FLY NAVY

istewart posted:

That would have been some hot poo poo to 1990-me, back when one of my “better” Tiger handheld games was Electronic Baseball:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mqJEiMKJfW4

It was absolute poo poo but also the only baseball game I had so I played the hell out of it.

Now Tiger’s Double Dragon? That was even worse.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
re: Lunar
The game's battle mechanics are just barely above barebones Dragon Quest 3 stuff, and it's ok I guess. My big issue with the game is that in the first couple hours it tricks you into thinking that the main character isn't another poorly motivated silent protagonist with no interesting qualities, and then 3 dungeons later he's down to only barely reacting to anything going on around him. Just play Grandia instead.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Oh god, I liked those Tiger games but they really sucked overall.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Action-Bastard posted:

Lol

Lmao, even

You could play Lunar on the PSX in 1996 or you could play...

Super Mario RPG on a last gen system like the SNES

Tactics Ogre on the PSX (released one year earlier, mind you)

Chrono Trigger on the SNES (Edit: I was informed below that it was only available on the LAST GEN system before Lunar was on PSX)

Suikoden

Bogus Adventure fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Aug 22, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Konar posted:

Adolescent me who collected all the bikini softcore hentai scenes then lost interest is agreeing with you

Yeah, I guess that's one thing LSSC has going for it

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Chrono Trigger didn't come out on PSX until 2001 in the US. Get it the gently caress together!!!!

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
lol the loads times on that poo poo were a joke

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Benoit posted:

That would have been some hot poo poo to 1990-me, back when one of my “better” Tiger handheld games was Electronic Baseball:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mqJEiMKJfW4

It was absolute poo poo but also the only baseball game I had so I played the hell out of it.

Now Tiger’s Double Dragon? That was even worse.

They had another set of more advanced one-off handhelds called 99X that I remember coming out after the game.com, that also advertised some weird primitive web-link feature:

I think they were also trying to ape Digimon with the unit linking feature, and if I remember correctly, the link cable came in the package with the game. Maybe they learned their lesson from the game.com... I never once remember seeing the "compete.com" link cable on the shelf anywhere, which doubly irked after I talked a couple of my friends into picking up game.coms too. Miraculously, we stayed friends after that; and apparently nothing of value was lost, because researching all this again tells me that dual-unit multiplayer was actually busted in most game.com games that claimed to support it.

Resident Evil 2 was the only 99x game I had, but I remember quite a few others on the shelf. Google tells me there were for sure WCW vs. NWO and Crash Bandicoot models. Ironically, I remember the tiny dot-matrix 99x screen being noticeably better than the game.com. I never linked units and played it with anyone else, though, partly because it was getting embarrassing to still be stuck with cheesy Tiger games in the era of the Game Boy Color, and partly because what even is "HEAD-to-HEAD" gameplay in Resident Evil? Competitive zombie massacre? lovely dot-matrix deathmatch? What little info remains about these games seems to indicate it was some kind of high-score exchange and that's it. A quick search also says these units were the basis for Giga Fighters that were a more direct virtual-pet Digimon ripoff.

It looks like Hasbro has reissued some of the old Tiger LCD games, but even 20 bucks feels like a bit too much to pay for such a crappy nostalgia hit. I remember tiny 1993 me getting a special trip to Toys'R'Us to get the Jurassic Park LCD game, and getting rather upset when the guy who worked there jokingly tried to convince me that I had only bought a slip of paper with a barcode on it, before telling me I actually had to go exchange it at the counter in the glass cage where they kept all the video game stuff locked up.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Private Cumshoe posted:

lol the loads times on that poo poo were a joke

Yeah, I got the Final Fantasy 3 PSX game that included V and VI, and oof. Random battles were rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

istewart posted:

It looks like Hasbro has reissued some of the old Tiger LCD games, but even 20 bucks feels like a bit too much to pay for such a crappy nostalgia hit.

My wife has all of them because some furries kindly agreed to buy them for her in exchange for art.

To be fair, she's a professional artist, and it's honestly a really good deal they got if you break the money down, but still.