Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Endless Mike posted:

X of Swords was okay but really poorly paced.
An executive summary of XoS:

Saturnyne: Brian Braddock! gently caress me!
Brian: I'm married, so... no?
*A bunch of random bullshit happens *
Saturnyne: What about now?
Brian: Still married.

THE END

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Endless Mike posted:

X of Swords was okay but really poorly paced.

Yeah having to double your issue count because of Covid does that to an event

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

CapnAndy posted:

An executive summary of XoS:

Saturnyne: Brian Braddock! gently caress me!
Brian: I'm married, so... no?
*A bunch of random bullshit happens *
Saturnyne: What about now?
Brian: Still married.

THE END

You missed the part where no one would make out with Illyana.

Also, what's wrong with you people XoS loving rules.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Storm literally dances with Death. Cypher gets a large wife.

It was so weird. I loved it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fisk will definitely gently caress over emma and take all the money. but that might not happen until after orchis is handled. being a moderately successful crime lord doesn't really equip him to fight on that scale, and he really hates when people kill his wife. i do not believe he would turn coat and join orchis instead, but he's done worse.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The pacing on XoS isn't the best but yeah I really like it overall. All of the events have been at the worst pretty good, really. When Empyre is your worst crossover offering you're in pretty good hands.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

XoS was fun but it was the first big X-Men centered event post HOXPOX and I guess I expected the first big X-Men event to be more like AXE than XoS. In hindsight it had to be XoS to introduce Arakko, but at the time it seemed like a silly distraction from Orchis and all the other conflicts Krakoa had going.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I remain intensely bitter about X of Swords over the Rockslide thing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

I remain intensely bitter about X of Swords over the Rockslide thing.

:hai: Rightfully so.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
How has no one mentioned the runway competition yet?

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I think X of Swords main issue, beyond the pacing, was that it was marketed as a fighting tournament arc but ended up being Calvinball. I loved it, but can't fault anyone wanting something more serious from being disappointed.

Edit: I do agree Rockslide was done dirty. First mutant to really die in spite of resurrection. I probably would have liked it more if they'd done more with Wrongslide, but it seems like anytime one of the writers tried to pick him up, their focus shifted soon away from him. Anyway, I'm sure his original self will make a return as soon as a writer wants to use the character.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 22, 2023

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Gorgon is also different now.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gorgon was a high ranking member of a nazi terrorist organization. in other words, a nazi. it's an improvement.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Gorgon has the mutant power of causing anybody who reads his name to type "gorgon xmen" into the nearest search bar.

EDIT: wait wtf I just did this and apparently he gained the power to turn people to stone by proving the existence of God via a math equation

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 22, 2023

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Rochallor posted:

Gorgon has the mutant power of causing anybody who reads his name to type "gorgon xmen" into the nearest search bar.

EDIT: wait wtf I just did this and apparently he gained the power to turn people to stone by proving the existence of God via a math equation

Tale as old as time. I loving love comic books.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what does reed richards think about the god equation

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

site posted:

"An equation about me?"

(j/k Reed is cool)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

site posted:

He met God already.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Making my way through dawn of x books still, is it worth translating all the little bits of krakoan cypher? Is there a central place with translations by issue?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

inferis posted:

Making my way through dawn of x books still, is it worth translating all the little bits of krakoan cypher? Is there a central place with translations by issue?

Good question. I'm figuring I'll probably skim most of the data pages when I get around to reading this run.

I'm still poking at classic Claremont X-Men in the mid-80s, got the great comic backlog. But I enjoy reading a bit about this current run, and I've curated a to-read list over the past few years, skipping lots of stuff (based on previews and word of mouth). All told, even skipping several titles etc, in this era starting with HoxPox to now I have 356 issues to-read. That's a lot of comics. I feel like they could pare things down a bit, at least to appeal to me, but I'll probably just end up sticking with a few core titles I like and skipping even more of that. X-Men is the only area of comics I'm into that still has a bunch of wikis and wackiness to keep up with the to-read order.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

inferis posted:

I've had to stop my OCD from being annoyed by this but when you're binging the books it's a lot less necessary to read the hints for something that you're gonna see in 30 seconds instead of next month

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The cypher in X-Force hinted about Chronicler well in advance of his first appearance. (I think it was the first time Piotr did something out of character)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the worst thing about the chronicler is that beast was right about colossus.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

MonsterEnvy posted:

The cypher in X-Force hinted about Chronicler well in advance of his first appearance. (I think it was the first time Piotr did something out of character)

it was in cryilic!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

inferis posted:

The Hickman stuff is worth translating, I think. After that it's not really needed or used all that much. I dunno if all translations are somewhere.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the worst thing about the chronicler is that beast was right about colossus.

Can you remind me what he was saying about Colossus? It's been a minute.

On the topic of foreshadowing via Krakoan, that made me remember the Sinister blind items from either HOXPOX or early X-Men:

quote:

SINISTER SECRET #1 He's trying to pretend that no one noticed he was wearing red shoes, but this truly sinister Sinister isn't fooling anyone.

SINISTER SECRET #2 And speaking of fashion, the whisper network has turned into a roar regarding the return of this trendsetting mutant who was cut down in his prime. Will someone please tell all these mutants to stop wearing human clothes and join the stampede across their island full of flowers to the flower that's the fullest?

SINISTER SECRET #3 Years ago, a deceased redheaded pretender made a pact with the devil. When she passed on, most believed that any secrets she had went with her to the grave. Won't everyone be surprised when they find out not only is this not true, but she left behind a whole lot more than secrets.

SINISTER SECRET #4 While every Sinister has been busy wondering how they might be affected by current events, almost no one noticed what washed ashore. A word of advice to all things sinister: Don't embrace the revelry, or there won't be anything for you to celebrate.

SINISTER SECRETS REVEALED! Certain people are wondering where the tyrant-dispelling Sinister got his mutant gene. And while that really isn't an interesting story, whom the DNA originally belonged to is.

SINISTER SECRET #5 He's the best there is at what he does. She's married with a kid. The husband knows exactly what's going on, but who is he to point the finger? He's up to much the same, and more. Maybe this is just the new normal on the mutant island.

SINISTER SECRET #6 Everyone believed that the plan of this progerian mutant with secret sinister ties was foiled, but little did the gifted ones know that the destroyed samples were switched out beforehand.

SINISTER SECRET #7 Two brothers jumped out of a plane, and for the longest time, until he was discovered, many wondered if there was a third. If we told you there were more, would you believe me? Probably not.

SINISTER SECRET #8 For years, this fittest-of-all mutant has routinely surrounded himself with a particular-numbered entourage. These hangers-on stick around for a while until they are eventually replaced with newer, more exciting members. What most people don't know is that if the original members returned, these pretenders would be dropped so fast their heads would spin.

SINISTER SECRET #9 They say the kids are all right, but all is not right in paradise. This non-couple couple has been apart so long, friends are expecting that when they see each other again fireworks are going to ensue. Is the universe ready? Judging by how unprepared everyone was for what's happened so far, we kind of doubt it.

SINISTER SECRETS REVEALED! We don't hear this word spoken often, so when we do, it's best to pay attention, because when you square that circle, what took a long time to build can come crumbling down rather quickly.

SINISTER SECRET #10 Which brainwashed mutant Sinister was replaced long before a certain bald somebody knew and has been in on the game for almost as long as the game was being played? Shhhhhhhh!

The Sinister Secrets Revealed! are respectively Thunderbird and Inferno.
#2 is Jumbo Carnation and maybe the first Hellfire Gala?
#3 is obviously Madelyne Pryor, as was surely remarked on at the time.
#5 is the Scott/Jean/Wolverine/sometimes Emma maybe polycule probably.
#7 is that they actually made Adam X the X-treme a Summers brother, lmao.
#8 is Apocalypse's kids from X of Swords.
#10 seems like it could be about the Chronicler thing, but the mechanics of it are pretty different from how we know the Colossus thing works.

I'm stumped on the other ones. From the kids reference, #9 would either be New Mutants or Gen X kids. Fireworks obviously suggests Jubilee, but I can't think of anybody she had a particularly close platonic relationship with on Gen X.

I was kind of wondering if the idea of the Four Sinisters was far back enough that it would be referenced here, but apparently not.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Double post because I forgot today was Wednesday.

Extraordinary week for X-Men, IMO. In any other week Realm of X would be a highlight, and even as good as the other book are it's still a strong, intriguing start. It's been a minute since we've had a good X-men/Asgard crossover, and I love the cast.

Jean Grey is... not what I was expecting. At all. Claremont and Nocenti have both done some cozy, nostalgic stories set in the past recently, and while Jean Grey #1 isn't exactly taking place at the same time as the Gala stuff (except for the frame story), it's also not drawing on the era when Simonson was writing. I have no idea where this is going to go, but it's interesting as hell.

And a lot of motion on the X-Force front today. It's hilarious as all hell that Mikhail's entire three year plan with the Chronicler was torn to shreds by not knowing about Nimrod's attack and now he's just improvising, I don't know if this is the end of that plot but if it is, fuckin well played Percy.
There were a lot of good panels today, too, it's not remarked on often but there's a real lurid, saturated look to X-Force that fits the book really well. There's several fractured images of Piotr, appropriately.

It gets remarked on in Realm of X, but I love that the attack on the Gala has kept most of the characters in their super ornate fancy dress, possibly for the next six months.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rochallor posted:

On the topic of foreshadowing via Krakoan, that made me remember the Sinister blind items from either HOXPOX or early X-Men:

The Sinister Secrets Revealed! are respectively Thunderbird and Inferno.
#2 is Jumbo Carnation and maybe the first Hellfire Gala?
#3 is obviously Madelyne Pryor, as was surely remarked on at the time.
#5 is the Scott/Jean/Wolverine/sometimes Emma maybe polycule probably.
#7 is that they actually made Adam X the X-treme a Summers brother, lmao.
#8 is Apocalypse's kids from X of Swords.
#10 seems like it could be about the Chronicler thing, but the mechanics of it are pretty different from how we know the Colossus thing works.

I'm stumped on the other ones. From the kids reference, #9 would either be New Mutants or Gen X kids. Fireworks obviously suggests Jubilee, but I can't think of anybody she had a particularly close platonic relationship with on Gen X.

I was kind of wondering if the idea of the Four Sinisters was far back enough that it would be referenced here, but apparently not.

I think #9 is Synch and Talon and I think #10 was an implication that Hoxpox's "I'm the Sinister with the mutant gene!" has been aware of the Krakoa plan the whole time

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Rochallor posted:

early in x-force, beast was absolutely convinced that colossus was a traitor based on very flimsy evidence. so beast made a big show of arresting him, with a very public perp walk. i think he was cleared based on a telepathic scan? it was beast's first public fuckup of the book, because of course colossus would never betray mutantkind.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Rochallor posted:

Double post because I forgot today was Wednesday.

Extraordinary week for X-Men, IMO.

The Deadpool solo series wrapped up nicely too! And Iron Man is basically an X-Men book these days.

I didn't care for the Jean Grey book that much but I'm less familiar with her history. Realm and X-Force were good though!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Realm of X has such a bizarre cast

Also it looks like Xavier, and Magik have improved Curse's morality a bit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Chinston Wurchill posted:

The Deadpool solo series wrapped up nicely too! And Iron Man is basically an X-Men book these days.

I didn't care for the Jean Grey book that much but I'm less familiar with her history. Realm and X-Force were good though!

Iron Man is explicitly an X-Book. It's given in the reading order.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Weezey Simonson has still got it, Jean's mini was a great little exploration of the character. I've always felt that for all the conflict and ickiness between Jean and Chuck, she is also the most like him of all his students. This issue illustrated that pretty clearly.

I was hoping we'd see Mikhail's reaction to his plans being flushed down the toilet in this week's X-Force but I guess that's for next time.

Wasn't really feeling realm of X. The cast is weird and acting kind of weird (Illyana being so off kilter seems bizarre to me, especially with Mary sassing everyone so hard the entire time). Don't think I'm gonna follow up on it.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As a Krakoa-era arrivee, what are the good Colossus stories? I've never gotten a pin on him. He seems like a discarded teddybear that says "tovarisch!" but I know there has to be more to the character

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

OnimaruXLR posted:

I was hoping we'd see Mikhail's reaction to his plans being flushed down the toilet in this week's X-Force but I guess that's for next time.

EDIT:

La Louve Rouge posted:

As a Krakoa-era arrivee, what are the good Colossus stories? I've never gotten a pin on him. He seems like a discarded teddybear that says "tovarisch!" but I know there has to be more to the character

Hmm. There's not a lot of stuff revolving specifically around Colossus, but he's a strong ensemble character throughout the whole Claremont run. He's generally pretty miserable.

Colossus: God's Country is a story I quite remember enjoying. It's by Ann Nocenti and involves Piotr angsting about how he has lived a long time in both America and the Soviet Union and yet doesn't feel at home in either of them. He's also pretty central to Kieron Gillen's first X-Men stuff, which starts with a Fear Itself tie-in involving the Juggernaut I quite enjoy despite wretched Greg Land art. That run gets mixed up with the Avengers vs X-Men crossover which is a mess, but Gillen manages to wring some good stuff out of it. (It's also the foundation for the modern version of Mister Sinister.) Colossus is a more fun character in Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, but if you don't want to read anything written by Whedon that's understandable. There's a joke in it that still makes me giggle every time I think about it.

EDIT AGAIN: Agreed, Cable & X-Force is a pretty fun time and also another rare instance of Colossus having a good day

Rochallor fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 24, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

La Louve Rouge posted:

If you want some direct relation to Colossus and Domino's relationship in X-Force, read Dennis Hopeless' Cable & X-Force series

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
illyana suddenly losing her confidence along with her mutant power is weird. she's still a demon sorceress with a soul sword! the nanomachines only disabled her teleporting.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

La Louve Rouge posted:

I think the first two years or so of Uncanny are probably the best Colossus but it's just this super strong dude being put through a constant ringer of bad times. Then he just kind of meanders around the X-men without much plot for like a decade or more to, until he finds out his brother is alive and a hosed up dude. Then he ends up in another long ringer including betraying the X-men, being a very tragic and hosed up dude in Age of Apocalypse, and moping around in Exclibur, ultimately culminating in his death, in a story I liked but I think most people did not. He then came back and uhh..... . . . . . . . went to Krakoa and you know what happened from there.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

La Louve Rouge posted:

Older stuff, but Inferno (the original one) is probably the best Colossus story. Everyone else is corrupted by Limbo's influence but he's apparently incorruptible, and it's the foundation for everything that's been done with him and Illyana afterward.

EDIT: One thing the Cerebro podcast pointed out that I really agreed with, was that Colossus is a victim of changing times. Piotr's thing is that he's both a committed Soviet (and looks like a Soviet propaganda poster to match) and a deeply good person, who (as noted) is seemingly made to suffer.

Nobby fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Iron Man is explicitly an X-Book. It's given in the reading order.

And a fairly good one at that.

I actually put decent money that the Emma/Tony marriage becomes a staple for at least a while. They are doing a fair amount of simmering build up through the line, and while the wedding is obviously going to be a political/financial matter, I'd be shocked if they let the pair at mutual friends.

Then again, I adore Emma as a character, so giving me a comic that is half Emma Frost for the last two issues is always going to win me over.

Also, x-force related, but the scene with Charles continues to drive home my belief that Xavier knew. "Thank you for your assistance" in keeping X-force out of the line of fire, coupled with the disappearing Mystique shortly after Destiny tells him to make sure nothing happens to her? I'll be shocked if he's as gullible as it looks.